Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

zedprime posted:

Where Shem meets the swamp is the most braindead place you can start a base. Do it right and you have Swamp and Shem -like fertilities at different ends. Just some bandit or ninja raids, visiting beak things (your new best friends), the occasional Shek proving who want to go on vacation.

If you settle near Shek they are best buds and best buds in Kenshi the poo poo out of each other so I'd say highly recommended but I'm not sure that that is the question.

I like to build my bases in the leviathan coast. It's real pretty and the only raids you get are real easy cannibal swarms that usually get mowed down by the wildlife before they reach you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Archaeology Hat posted:

I think my favourite start is the nobodies, you get 5 guys but you’ve got 2/3rds chance of starting in the middle of a hostile high level area so there’s a fair chance you’ll need to sacrifice a couple of your guys so the others can run away.

I tried this just to see how it was because my thought process was "Oh, you start with 5 people and it's 'Easy'? Sweet!" then I start in the middle of the goddamn deathlands in the Southeast where enemies one-shot me and ran at the speed of sound. What on earth?!

Is it worth upsetting the status quo and make the major factions really mad at you? Any upsides to doing this? I know unique raids happen on your settlement if you do this but do you get rewarded in any tangible gameplay ways? On the subject of world states, are any of those "reactive world" mods good? It seems like those would lend themselves well to this sort of game.

Edit: Are there any mods that fix the Beak Thing's hitbox? I get that it can hit people with its long-rear end neck but I position my characters behind it and someone always gets attacked. Like straight behind it. No one else gets hit. It's really annoying and nullifies good positioning. Sure, one person is better than multiple but it's still crap.

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jan 28, 2024

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Thinking about reinstalling. I've played this game with "blood and sand" mod collection, "genesis" mod overhaul, and a constellation of my own vanilla plus mods (like kaiso and reactive world). I'm thinking about getting back in.

I looked around the new landscape and it looks like the Starwars Kenshi mod actually whips. Like it looks so good and is perfectly tuned to my Star wars sensibilities (I haven't consumed poo poo since 2003 Clone Wars Cartoon and KOTOR). Im gonna review my previous posts to maybe reconstruct a mod constellation.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
sadneil saved my life and is one of my best friends even though i accidentally got him arrested the day we met

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

KirbyKhan posted:

Thinking about reinstalling. I've played this game with "blood and sand" mod collection, "genesis" mod overhaul, and a constellation of my own vanilla plus mods (like kaiso and reactive world). I'm thinking about getting back in.

I looked around the new landscape and it looks like the Starwars Kenshi mod actually whips. Like it looks so good and is perfectly tuned to my Star wars sensibilities (I haven't consumed poo poo since 2003 Clone Wars Cartoon and KOTOR). Im gonna review my previous posts to maybe reconstruct a mod constellation.

This is an up-to-date mod collection I've been using
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2822248814
except with Reactive World instead of Kaizo. I love Kaizo, but have played it to death in previous years

For overhauls you want UWE as a base then you choose 1 of Kaizo, Reactive World, or Living World and their respective UWE compatibility patches. Stay away from Genesis (too all or nothing) and GenMod (outdated and features folded in to other overhauls)

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Thank!

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Me: “how powerful could a slave start really become”

Me, 365 in-game days later: *sneaks through a bandit raiding party in broad daylight, pacifies and steals away with leader without getting caught*

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q
I just picked this up because I feel like it’s definitely my thing.

I got lucky and found a unique free person that joined without a cost, but the people that want me to pay to join — where do I get money for that? Just running back and forth from an ore vein?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Get mildly good at hiding and hide in the corner when someone is closing up shop for the night and stick all their poo poo in your pants and pawn it down the street.

Same thing works in game.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
I just picked this up on a whim.

I've not survived more than about 2 days so far.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Ragnar Gunvald posted:

Unironic recommendation, start with the Rebirth slave start. You're automatically fed, and so long as you do what you're told nothing really bad happens to you. You can get rudimentary strength, athletics, and laboring skill just through your work. Once you're ready, you can start practicing lockpicking your way out of your cage at night and sneaking around. If you're caught, so long as you go back to your cage before the guards catch you nothing happens. If they catch you they'll beat you and drag you back to the cage, which also trains toughness. So just gently caress around and practice.

When you're ready to escape, unlock as many other cages as you can and make a run for it. If you're lucky, some of the other slaves will join you and you'll start with a small group. You'll need to move fast and far and get out of Holy Nation territory to avoid getting caught as escaped slaves. After that, you have a solid base of skills to go wherever. You can try making your way north to the Flotsam safehouse and then further north to Flotsam. From there making your way east to the United Cities is a reasonable medium term goal. Or just run like hell through the Holy Nation to go east, south, or wherever the hell.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

How do you make your character run to the rock processor to pick up building materials then automatically build things you placed down? I managed to do that somehow but ever since I got attacked by beak things I had to turn off the jobs for a moment to take care of the situation, once I turn them back on everyone except the "engineers" started up their routine again.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jimbot posted:

How do you make your character run to the rock processor to pick up building materials then automatically build things you placed down? I managed to do that somehow but ever since I got attacked by beak things I had to turn off the jobs for a moment to take care of the situation, once I turn them back on everyone except the "engineers" started up their routine again.

Tbh restarting the program usually works for me. This isn’t what you’d call a technically solid game

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Ragnar Gunvald posted:

did you just get beaten unconscious, or did you really die, because only one of these is actually bad

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
Actually died. I got eaten by weird bird things, I got beaten unconscious and then bled out, I got a stomach injury one time that slowly got worse till I keeled over and died etc etc.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Ragnar Gunvald posted:

Actually died. I got eaten by weird bird things, I got beaten unconscious and then bled out, I got a stomach injury one time that slowly got worse till I keeled over and died etc etc.

Ok yeah congratulations on finding one of the few enemies that kill you rather than just beat you up and take your stuff. Beak things are a classic killer.

Either do the slave start or do the merchant one where you start in the United Cities area. The usual starting moves are to find a copper mining site just outside town, and just spend time mining. It should be just enough to pay for your food, particularly if you’re starting as a merchant with some trade goods.

As your mining improves and you start generating a surplus, hire someone at the bar for your second person. Have them be in charge of running your mined ore back to the shops so that your first guy can just mine straight.

Somewhere during this process either you’ll get attacked by bandits or bandits will attack the main town gate. Run back to the guards and let them handle it. Take the opportunity to try to fight a bit. It’s okay if you get beat up—it trains toughness. See if you can snag any loot from the fallen bandits as you go.

With a bit more mining plus some lucky loot, you should be able to save up enough to buy a small house in town. Now you’ll have a safe place to rest/heal up, store your stuff, and plop down a research bench to start basic research. Keep saving, recruiting, saving until you have a small squad. You might need to go to another city to find more recruits if you’ve tapped out the bars in your starting town. Eventually you’ll have a small group, a base, and can go where you want.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Basic Chunnel posted:

Me: “how powerful could a slave start really become”

Me, 365 in-game days later: *sneaks through a bandit raiding party in broad daylight, pacifies and steals away with leader without getting caught*

I tried a slave start in the Star wars mod and on day 1 Mandalorians came into the camp and murdered everybody so I just started walking towards Hub

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Ragnar Gunvald posted:

A different recommendation is you can start in the hub, pick up hobbs who usually spawns there (for free) and walk down to squin, you can pick up a third person. There's a couple ore veins nearby you can mine, you can keep someone in town for the medical duty, if you're feeling spicy you can steal stuff and sell it at the outpost just south of there (watch out for skin spiders) and there's also a bounty you can pick up really early (i hire the two merc groups in the outpost and take them down, they'll usually win).

For money you can drag the local wildlife into the guards. It's not as OP as the slave start, but as someone who finds the slave start really boring, this way you can a bit more freedom.

But yeah, in general avoid getting downed by spiders, beak things and dogs and you'll generally be ok. Hungry bandits/dust bandits will just kick the gently caress out of you, as will goats. Garru might actually kill someone by one shotting them so be careful with those until you get some armour and toughness.

And if you get imprisoned its not a big deal, you'll either make money to buy the person out, or they'll get sold and you can break them out later.

Edit: Also there's a barfight you can get into at the hub, if you goad them into attacking you the guards help you out, you can get an early katana for your troubles. It's not good but it's free.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
So, I picked the empire start this time and went out to wander and see what's around here.

Something called a Verdant Skimmer was fighting a guy and the guy died, then the skimmer bled out shortly after. I looted the guy and he had like 100k of gear on him...

I've saved the game this time..I've got a chain shirt that's like 60k value and some plate armour that's like 30k and a couple of weapons at 10k each.

This is cool.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I don't know if I'm overthinking this or being a dope and missing something obvious but is there a way to set up a job list so the characters themselves make the prerequisite items themselves without going scorched earth and consuming all the resources? (say you want to make some foodcubes, the person would use up all the wheat to make flour then use up all the flour to make bread, I want to avoid this).

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
You set it to first make food cubes, then to make bread / cook meat. Then your guy will make cubes first, and when he runs out of ingredients on hand, he’ll start making bread from prepared flour / meat from raw (which will need to be on another stove or campfire). You’ll probably want someone else set to haul food to storage to avoid twitchiness.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Cantorsdust posted:

Beak things are a classic killer.

Relax. Enjoy death.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I bet one-punch man punching beak things to death with martial arts is super satisfying. Whenever they stop attacking to allow you to punch that is.

I set up base in Shem. Downside is that it's far away from everything so I have to make some treks to sell my junk. On the upside, and I don't take credit for this design, I managed to make a base that's impervious to, well, everything. I figure I'd try some cheese to get used to base mechanics this time around before, if I ever start another game, put it in an area that isn't pure cheese.

Nothing gets into my base unless it's a swarm. Only downside is that it makes corpse cleanup a bit of a slog. On the subject of recruits, where's the best place to get skeleton recruits? I need immortal sentries to be on my turrets 24/7 without need to sleep or eat. People don't leave the turrets unless the enemy dies and that slows down production.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

krispykremessuck posted:

I just picked this up because I feel like it’s definitely my thing.

I got lucky and found a unique free person that joined without a cost, but the people that want me to pay to join — where do I get money for that? Just running back and forth from an ore vein?

stealing is always the answer.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Jimbot posted:

where's the best place to get skeleton recruits? I need immortal sentries to be on my turrets 24/7 without need to sleep or eat.

Skeleton recruits are kinda rare, so usually the answer is "mods"
3 unique characters that are guaranteed to spawn
random bar drifters rarely (~2% chance) spawn as a skeleton

Other than that it's possible to get more via exploits. There's a rare patrolling group of skeletons that can appear wandering around the northern parts of Holy Nation territory. There's a small chance, rolled the first time the skeletons see a human playercharacter, that the skeleton(s) join your squad. Usually they can't join because they spawn with stats too high, in which case they just wander around until the group despawns and the game occasionally spawns a new one if you leave the region and come back.

Not really worth the effort but there is also a way to roll a second chance of them joining, if you follow the skeletons until they eventually run into a group of HN soldiers and get beat up. (Don't attack them or attempt to stealth KO). Pick up the skeletons and repair them up to the point where they won't bleed out, and carry them to a UC city and drop them in a slave shop. The slavers will enslave the skeleton while they're unconscious on the floor and put them in a cage. (Don't sell them into slavery, drop them and let the NPCs enslave them). Repair the skeleton so it can stand up again. Talk to the slave trader and buy the skeleton out of slavery for 20k cats. Characters you buy out of slavery temporarily follow you until you leave town. When you leave town and enter the wilderness there's a chance that, as long as you haven't done something to make the slave hate you, they might join your team. Otherwise they walk away and you just blew 20k for nothing.

If you need to sneak past HN patrols you can have humans carry your skeletons, because the AI doesn't react to unconscious units that are being carried by someone else.

silentsnack fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jan 30, 2024

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Jimbot posted:

On the subject of recruits, where's the best place to get skeleton recruits? I need immortal sentries to be on my turrets 24/7 without need to sleep or eat. People don't leave the turrets unless the enemy dies and that slows down production.

There's the recruit skeletons mod that lets you recruit broken and malfunctioning skeletons that you find in various workshops and foglands. It's very overpowered depending on where you get your skeletons from.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Yeah there are 2 Skeletons that are easy to get and 1 that's an enormous pain in the rear end to get.

Which is still better odds than getting a Southern Hiver of which there is exactly 1 unique recruit located in one of the hardest places in the game to break out. Your other options to get them are hoping random slaves spawn as Souther Hivers and then randomly roll to join you after you free them which is comically unlikely.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

silentsnack posted:

If you need to sneak past HN patrols you can have humans carry your skeletons, because the AI doesn't react to unconscious units that are being carried by someone else.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1tyybVuSBU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

The important thing when fighting Beak Things is to NOT bunch up. I know in most games it’s optimal to ball up, but in this game you need to spread out. Otherwise you get splatted by undodgeable/unparryable AoE damage from attacks aimed at other people.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
When fighting beak things make sure to have your entire team hold position then assing one melee fighter per beak thing and try to spread out a bit.

Ideally you have people shooting em too.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I'm wondering, is there a way to make people get the hell off of turrets when enemies are incapacitated? That one small pod in the middle of that picture there is filled with nothing but corpses but the characters just won't leave their loving spots. I had to manually remove that poo poo from their job lists just so they can go do their other things. It's at the very bottom of the list too, so it's not priority.

Edit: Also, is there a way of fixing entrances to buildings? I keep getting the glitch that prevents my characters from leaving and entering one of the ones I built. I don't want to keep importing my game. CTRL+Shift+F11 and Shift+F12 didn't do anything. I don't know how to use the navmesh tool in the F12 menu.

Edit 2: As it turns out this is a common with bughouses - apt name. I need to find a mod that removes these pieces of poo poo so I don't accidentally build one again.

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Jan 31, 2024

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q

GlassEye-Boy posted:

stealing is always the answer.

Yeah, that’s what I’m going to do. Worst case scenario seems to be I catch a beating which is somewhat optimal for training purposes.

My companion Shek lost a limb in our first fight. I don’t know where to get robot arms from (stealing them, that is) but I suppose that’s the solution there.

Do I need to be a doctor to install it?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

No just plug-and-slay.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

The real pro strat with Kenshi is to do the slave start, jump into a cage within view of the guards, remove your shackles while in the cage so that they give you new ones without hurting you, and keep doing that until you’ve got at least 80% encumbrance. Then you turn the timescale to 3X, turn off your monitor, then do other things / go to sleep, giving it 12 hours or so. Depending on race You’ll end up with strength, labor and athletics in the 60-80 range.

From there it’s more of a grind — break out at night and sneak around the big statue in the middle of the quarry to level up stealth, unlock the poles (but NOT the shackles) of other prisoners, steal stuff off tables and out of containers (but do not touch any food, you’ll need it for your escape). Do this every night, ending with a knockout attempt on a guard. (Another note re: food is to try and make it back to a cage around the point your hunger gets to just below 80 — you don’t want to pass out)

As long as you’re wearing shackles, you’ll be patched up as soon as you’re knocked out and recaptured. Be careful not to start out fights with any limbs too close to negative (otherwise you risk getting dismembered), but you’ll gain toughness fairly quickly.

Once it takes a few hits to put you down, you can probably start taking off the shackles when you get into scraps. On the one hand, this delimits some of your stats so that you last longer, and thus gain xp more efficiently, especially with things like dodging. Otoh, if you get a critical injury that makes you unconscious and the AI doesn’t get around to re-shackling you quickly enough, you could bleed out (though it never happened to me after a good amount of toughness raising).

From there you get Assassination and stealth to a point where you can KO one of the building guards and give him a taste of his own medicine by putting shackles on him and dumping him in a cage, thus enslaving him. In practical terms, this takes a guard out of the building permanently, allowing one slaver you can spar with every night.

Once you’ve gotten to the point where you can hold your own against a single guard using just your fists, once you’ve won a boxing match against a guy with a sword, then you’re ready — in a state of starvation, you’re actually playing at 30% of your actual power. Stock up on food, get some kit, and sprint out — south to the Hub is a good start.

Really, I decided to blow Rebirth once a “rich man” came through at night, presumably to buy a slave. Felt like a sign. I knocked him out, took his high-grade kit, and left him in shackles.

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

what a long, strange trip it's been.

krispykremessuck posted:

Yeah, that’s what I’m going to do. Worst case scenario seems to be I catch a beating which is somewhat optimal for training purposes.

My companion Shek lost a limb in our first fight. I don’t know where to get robot arms from (stealing them, that is) but I suppose that’s the solution there.

Look to the fog or the black rain. Good luck

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

krispykremessuck posted:

If you have a missing limb the "limbs" button in inventory opens a new panel with slots to equip replacements. Loading hints say you can buy cheap prosthetics from hivers if you're broke, or travel to a major UC or independent city (or the Waystation southeast of the Hub) and look for a shop with a robot shopkeeper.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

The Lone Badger posted:

The important thing when fighting Beak Things is to NOT bunch up. I know in most games it’s optimal to ball up, but in this game you need to spread out. Otherwise you get splatted by undodgeable/unparryable AoE damage from attacks aimed at other people.

Yup, the way AoE attacks work in this game is that the one person the attack is actually aimed at is allowed to dodge it and then everyone else in range just eats poo poo. This is why falling suns are a favorite endgame weapon.

You can put two fighters on a single beak thing if you make sure they’re on exact opposite ends of it and don’t mind micromanaging them.

I went digging through the dev tools a while back and iirc a bar in Shark is one of the few places recruitable skeleton drifters will spawn

Clark Nova fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Jan 31, 2024

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
You simply engage each beak thing with a single king fu master in 1 on 1 combat, then use a bunch of random people from the bar equipped with spears to ping pong between all of them in the middle of their big dumb beak thing animation.

There's always multiple beak things. If not, just wait.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I was tempted to get that and the one that gives them little scarves. I honestly love to hate those things. The only downside to them is that the hitbox sucks big time - I've complained about it before. No one should get hit for standing directly behind it. That's just poop.