Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Stultus Maximus posted:

:psyduck: like…200 amps feeding right into a floor sander?

Nope, upstream of the breaker, so completely unfused.

Three Olives posted:

Resurfacing floors and refinishing 100~ year old floors are completely different things, it sounds like a distinction without a difference but one involves a some guy with a Home Depot sander rental and the other involves completely vacating your house for a week so a crew of half a dozen people including people with years as an apprentice can make 100 year old wood look like vinyl/laminate that you can see your reflection in, except, very obviously, real wood.

You can rent the 240V big ones too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

trilobite terror posted:

The homeless man that lives by my townhouse took one look at my floors and asked “is that 100 year old wood?”

And I said “very obviously”.

Please speak to our floors with the respect they have earned after over 100 years or they will claw your eyes out....

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Omerta posted:

Does anyone have a Lucid Air? I’m thinking about getting one but don’t know anyone with firsthand experience owning one.

I've seen them a few times in the wild, they're pretty cool! But sorry no, I don't know anyone who owns one.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Omerta posted:

Does anyone have a Lucid Air? I’m thinking about getting one but don’t know anyone with firsthand experience owning one.

Savagegeese has an hour long review on the top trim, really cool deep dive with the engineers who work on them.

I’m seeing ads for lease deals on the lucid lately.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Three Olives posted:

Please speak to our floors with the respect they have earned after over 100 years or they will claw your eyes out....

Your "floors" don't look much older than 12, tops, and also they should get off the table.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

cruft posted:

Your "floors" don't look much older than 12, tops, and also they should get off the table.

that’s a picture of 3O and his husband

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Bread toasted to a level of perfection only achievable with a touch screen and then you end up with cat hair stuck to the melted butter.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
a photo of Pat and Rod in happier days

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Three Olives posted:

Why does the cat in front have a pause icon superimposed on its back thigh?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

trilobite terror posted:

ride the sander shiny and chrome, all the way to valhalla

:perfect:

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

cruft posted:

Why does the cat in front have a pause icon superimposed on its back thigh?

A cat is a hypawvisor and it's running CM's occasionally need to be pawsed to do host maintenace.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

A cat is a hypawvisor and it's running CM's occasionally need to be pawsed to do host maintenace.

More like maintenyance

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
https://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/general-motors/2024/01/30/gm-hybrid-vehicles-north-america/72406811007/

Looks like a new Volt is back on the menu.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

I was really confused because I thought you were linking Free Republic

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Love my 18 Volt. They don't skimp on the build quality (and put Carplay back in) and this thing will be the best selling car in America

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Xiahou Dun posted:

I was really confused because I thought you were linking Free Republic

This happens literally every time I link an article from the Detroit Free Press, which has used the same web address since the early 1990s.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

Speleothing posted:

Looks like a new Volt is back on the menu.

I loved my Volt. I always thought GM would have had a hit on their hands with it if they'd made it an SUV instead of a hatchback.

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.
https://www.engadget.com/volvo-pauses-deliveries-of-its-ex30-due-to-software-issues-132019346.html

uh oh

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
Drove my new EV9 from my home in the SF Bay to Lake Tahoe to ski over the weekend. Trip report:

- 2.5 mi/kWh from Bay Area to South Lake Tahoe
- 3.7 mi/kWh from South Lake Tahoe back to the Bay Area
- 2.9 mi/kWh average for the whole trip

Impressively, the vehicle can make the entire drive in one shot without a recharge in either direction. This was with a ski rack and one pair of skis on top increasing my wind resistance.

I was also impressed by the highway driving assist & lane keeping features. I hit rush hour bumper-to-bumper traffic while passing through Sacramento and the car handled all the speed ups, slow downs, and stops for me without needing any intervention. Made heavy traffic driving far more pleasant.

Also, it was fun watching the SOC tick *up* as I cruised downhill out of the mountains. The regenerative braking definitely works :D

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Volt and Bolt back? What next, Android Auto and CarPlay!? They must've fired the Bad Ideas Guy.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Speleothing posted:

This happens literally every time I link an article from the Detroit Free Press, which has used the same web address since the early 1990s.

same.

oldster unity.

BAD AT STUFF
May 10, 2012

We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because fuck you.

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

I was also impressed by the highway driving assist & lane keeping features. I hit rush hour bumper-to-bumper traffic while passing through Sacramento and the car handled all the speed ups, slow downs, and stops for me without needing any intervention. Made heavy traffic driving far more pleasant.

That was my biggest unexpected benefit to the Model 3. I wasn't that impressed by full self driving during the free trial I had, but even the basic autopilot makes a huge difference in stop-and-go traffic. Instead of being an irritating way to start the day, my commute is a chill time to listen to podcasts.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Chronojam posted:

Volt and Bolt back? What next, Android Auto and CarPlay!? They must've fired the Bad Ideas Guy.

Bad Ideas Guy refused to work in the office after Mary's latest RTO push

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Grizzl-e install went perfect, nothing on fire yet. Ended up getting an industrial 6-50 from Grainger after watching some videos on the poor quality of Leviton and such. No longer on a 3/mile per hour charging rate.

Thanks for all the feedback here and in various discords!

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

biznatchio posted:

I loved my Volt. I always thought GM would have had a hit on their hands with it if they'd made it an SUV instead of a hatchback.

Maybe but I love my Volt's liftback design. Just looks so much cooler than the Bolt.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Stultus Maximus posted:

Maybe but I love my Volt's liftback design. Just looks so much cooler than the Bolt.

The Volt is the best run-about I've ever had. Has some flaws but generally 9/10 in everything that it does. Now that we got the ID.4 and about to replace another vehicle, my son that is turning 16 in a few months will have the Volt for his DD. I cannot imagine a better car, so jealous and better than the 1990 Ford Taurus station wagon that I got The wagon hosed, in all honesty

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Stultus Maximus posted:

Same. Even car camped in it on long trips. If I can't have a wagon then this will do.

It was a good car, I'd own another Volt.
The gen1s need to get just a touch cheaper so I can do projects with one.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

TraderStav posted:

the 1990 Ford Taurus station wagon that I got The wagon hosed, in all honesty

Old wagons were great. So much space.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
lol, I am looking at replacements for my wife’s Kia sorento, but she doesn’t want an EV. So I thought i would check out Toyota for the new grand highlander hybrid.

I check the local dealership’s inventory page and they have 23 vehicles, 20 of which are busyforks lmao

Even in a vehicle shortage they can’t get rid of those pieces of crap

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Speleothing posted:

Old wagons were great. So much space.

I would love something with the form factor of an old Passat wagon, I loved that thing, it'd haul 5 guys, 7 boards, and gear up a mountain and get 30MPG doing it, pretty snappy with the 1.8t in it too.

Speaking of VW, my fiancé's poor ID's gonna be in the shop for a minute.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
I love my Volt and I'm very annoyed that I have to sell it this summer (moving overseas).

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Chevrolet has never, does not currently, and likely will never know how to market and sell anything that doesn’t say “Silverado” on it.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

priznat posted:

lol, I am looking at replacements for my wife’s Kia sorento, but she doesn’t want an EV. So I thought i would check out Toyota for the new grand highlander hybrid.

I check the local dealership’s inventory page and they have 23 vehicles, 20 of which are busyforks lmao

Even in a vehicle shortage they can’t get rid of those pieces of crap

My husband has a 10 year old car that he bought new and I keep vacillating between making him buy a new car and realizing he isn't going to agree to buy an EV in the next year or two and might as well wait until I can just convince him to take over daily driving the Mach-E and we buy a Lyriq for my daily driver even though it terrifies me on the daily that he drives a 10 year old compact car with zero ADAS.

Maybe I can talk him into a Dodge Hornet PHEV this year.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Jan 31, 2024

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Three Olives posted:

My husband has a 10 year old car that he bought new and I keep vacillating between making him buy a new car and realizing he isn't going to agree to buy an EV in the next year or two and might as well wait until I can just convince him to take over daily driving the Mach-E and we buy a Lyriq for my daily driver even though it terrifies me on the daily that he drives a 10 year old compact car with zero ADAS.

Maybe I can talk him into a Dodge Hornet PHEV this year.

When I got rear ended in my 2006 jetta no ADAS would have helped me then

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Celexi posted:

When I got rear ended in my 2006 jetta no ADAS would have helped me then

What helps you in that situation is mass.

Get the Hummer EV.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

I have it on good authority that the upcoming Tesla Roadster will be able to use its cold-gas thrusters to jump over any car when the onboard AI detects an imminent rear end collision.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Elviscat posted:

I would love something with the form factor of an old Passat wagon, I loved that thing, it'd haul 5 guys, 7 boards, and gear up a mountain and get 30MPG doing it, pretty snappy with the 1.8t in it too.

Speaking of VW, my fiancé's poor ID's gonna be in the shop for a minute.

I would cry if this happened to my bolt

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

https://twitter.com/jimfarley98/status/1752708081824247808

Ford giving all Mach-E and Lightning owners a free Tesla adaptor.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Ford gave my coworker a free J1772 to Tesla adapter with his new Lightning so he can charge stranded Teslas on the road. That's pretty clever marketing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".

Three Olives posted:

https://twitter.com/jimfarley98/status/1752708081824247808

Ford giving all Mach-E and Lightning owners a free Tesla adaptor.

I keep seeing news that Ford is having a hard time moving both off dealer lots.

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/thousands-of-mustang-mach-es-are-piling-up-on-dealer-lots-and-ford-wants-them-gone-228460.html

Have they published full guidelines on how Ford (and others who have made deals with Tesla) will be able to use the Tesla charging network? Seems like a lot of people are waiting to see how the NACS models work on the charging network, but with adapters being sent out, maybe the plan is already finalized?