Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

I feel like an idiot. I was today years old when I realized that Gryffindor (the House from Harry Potter) means golden griffin.

Like literally it's gryffin d'or (French for golden). A loving d'oy, right?

I got the griffin part but not the French. I loving speak French. I have no excuse. :doh:

It ain't like Rowling is the least bit subtle with her names. Hi there dude who turns into a dog who is literally named Latin for dog.

Let me introduce you to Remus Lupin, as in "founder of Rome who was raised by wolves" + literally Latin for wolf.

But nah man, Gryffindor is just fancy griffin apparently. gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Silver Falcon posted:

I feel like an idiot. I was today years old when I realized that Gryffindor (the House from Harry Potter) means golden griffin.

Like literally it's gryffin d'or (French for golden). A loving d'oy, right?

I got the griffin part but not the French. I loving speak French. I have no excuse. :doh:

It ain't like Rowling is the least bit subtle with her names. Hi there dude who turns into a dog who is literally named Latin for dog.

Let me introduce you to Remus Lupin, as in "founder of Rome who was raised by wolves" + literally Latin for wolf.

But nah man, Gryffindor is just fancy griffin apparently. gently caress.

This will blow your mind: Slytherin? Like... slitherin' like a snake!

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Prince wrote "Manic Monday", which became the first big hit for The Bangles.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

It skirts aaaaaaaaawfully close to olde timey minstrel songs without overtly crossing the line. "Zip" is not a random nonsense word, there's history there

That's it, I'm never using .zip files again. From now on I'm only using... well crap, never mind

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Guy Fieri was born Guy Ferry

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Ommin posted:

I didn't know either of these. I am also learning a lot today.

Blondie's Hanging On The Telephone is also a cover. That one's pretty close to the original, though, just with Debbie Harry's powerhouse vocals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emy5mA8Ixtc

Three for three?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

That's pretty cool. Apparently his Italian grandfather's name was Fieri and the Americanized version is Ferry, so he changed his name to honor his grandfather. Probably also because it sounds cooler but still.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

canyoneer posted:

Prince wrote "Manic Monday", which became the first big hit for The Bangles.

That over-achieving little guy not only released a ridiculous amount of songs himself (edit: and recorded a ridiculous number of original songs which he didn't release) but he also wrote a crazy number of songs for other artists including Kate Bush, Madonna, Cyndi Lauper, Stevie Nicks, Chaka Kahn, Sheena Easton, Sinead O'Connor, Patti Labelle and many many more, including this guy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXsq8H_nHZA

He wrote that one under the pseudonym 'Joey Coco', lol

Snowglobe of Doom has a new favorite as of 01:58 on Jan 31, 2024

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

CJacobs posted:

That's pretty cool. Apparently his Italian grandfather's name was Fieri and the Americanized version is Ferry, so he changed his name to honor his grandfather. Probably also because it sounds cooler but still.

He is also fluent in french. I already knew that but he is not the man you expect to bust out la langue française.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
in France he is known as Mecton Fier

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

This makes that annoying little hiccup TV personalities do when pronouncing his name even more annoying :argh:

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
Finding out all these songs are covers is leaving me feeling torn...

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Speaking of Smashmouth, All Star isn't the chicadee china the chinese chicken song.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Excuse me?

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

The Moon Monster posted:

Speaking of Smashmouth, All Star isn't the chicadee china the chinese chicken song.

no, the chicken in China (the Chinese chicken) song is of course the following:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6TLWqn82J4

e: goddammit I forgot it was the Chocolate Chicken in the Busta verse.

but that's what they're referencing.

Empty Sandwich has a new favorite as of 02:33 on Jan 31, 2024

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

You know what? Maybe we all need some space, to pull the knife out of the back of the most celebrated Canadian alt-rock band of the mid 90s, you selfish, jaded rear end!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

One Week by Barenaked Ladies. You can tell by the French that they're Canadian like brawnfire said.

quote:

Chickity China, the Chinese chicken
You have a drumstick and your brain stops tickin'
Watching X-Files with no lights on
We're dans la maison
I hope the Smoking Man's in this one

My favorite part of that song is the part where he talks about yankin' it to Sailor Moon

quote:

Gonna get a set of better clubs
Gonna find the kind with tiny nubs
Just so my irons aren't always flying off the back-swing

Gotta get in tune with Sailor Moon
'Cause that cartoon has got the boom anime babes
That make me think the wrong thing

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 03:06 on Jan 31, 2024

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Can't understand what he means? You soon will

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
Stunt was a fuckin great album. It's unfortunate the Barenaked Ladies's three biggest hits are hardly their best.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Captain Splendid posted:

Finding out all these songs are covers is leaving me feeling torn...

same. i’m all out of faith.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

TK-42-1 posted:

same. i’m all out of faith.

I don't know if :thejoke:, but that's a cover too :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OoEdfB7l18

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

Hyperlynx posted:

I don't know if :thejoke:, but that's a cover too :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OoEdfB7l18

Aww man, I didn't know that. I like the Imbruglia version better, but... now I don't like it because it's not a very creative cover. It's just the same song with a different singer, but basically exactly the same :\

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006
I like to watch CinemaSins and Honest Trailers for all the movies I'm curious about but don't want to watch. It's like Cliff's Notes with commentary notes to use in conversation to "prove you watched it."

Phlegmish posted:

Three for three?
Yes, but I wasn't super familiar with the Blondie version either. I'm just going to toss Common People (William Shatner version) into the conversation. I knew it was a cover; I just prefer his superior version over the original.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I can see that, I guess it's not one of their biggest hits. Always been on my personal radar just because I'm a huge Blondie fan, and I would gladly marry Debbie Harry even though she's about a hundred years old by now.

Conversely, I've never heard of Common People

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Phlegmish posted:

Blondie's Hanging On The Telephone is also a cover. That one's pretty close to the original, though, just with Debbie Harry's powerhouse vocals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emy5mA8Ixtc

Three for three?

Even better:

https://youtu.be/SQXqkiKXiHc

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Yup. Lots of bands from that era loved covering old ska/reggae songs, see also Pressure Drop by The Clash.

As for Blondie, Denis is a cover as well! I'm going to stop now, I think people understand the general point of 'many famous hits are covers of relatively obscure songs'

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Phlegmish posted:

I think people understand the general point of 'many famous hits are covers of relatively obscure songs'

Star Spangled Banner is a cover song, lol

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

There's no such thing as a cover song, they're all just songs. The concept that the person making the music is somehow the primary performer is really new and, of course, really stupid, and only even ever applied to a teeny tiny slice of all the music that is made.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Genuinely related, I've been following a great neo classical artist named BLKBOK and only when I saw him today did his name become clear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6Byw83rKok

He's black Bach.

rollick
Mar 20, 2009
Speaking of French: Guy-Man from Daft Punk isn't a joke DJ name, it's just short for Guillaume-Emmanuel.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Dr.Wiley running out of ideas

impossiboobs
Oct 2, 2006

Brawnfire posted:

You know what? Maybe we all need some space, to pull the knife out of the back of the most celebrated Canadian alt-rock band of the mid 90s, you selfish, jaded rear end!

Once again, Matthew Good Band and Our Lady Peace are overlooked. Did The Barenaked Ladies coin the term "first world problems"? They couldn't even coin "friend with benefits"!

The cultural impact of Canadian alt-rock songwriters of the 90's mustn't be reduced to the Chickadee China song!

Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to load up my Big Shiny Tunes playlists.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Go back to your Moxy Fruvous infested beaver lodge.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The long green thing that came with my chicken kabob and that I popped in my mouth whole was not an okra.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Plato was actually named Aristocles, "Plato" was just his wrasslin' nickname :pusheen:

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

It means "Broad".

A more liberal translation might be "Swole"

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Any time someone talks about the platonic ideal of something, I'm just gonna be imagining it doing a gun show now

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
Wish I could go back in time and see Plato's face when I tell him his name has become synonymous with not loving.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Pat Benatar isnt a dude. I think at some point I accidentally categorized the name with like Frankie Valli-type lounge acts?

I do know a bunch of her songs though, it turns out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Only one I know is Love Is A Battlefield, but really, do you need any more? Still remember that dance-off against the pimp

e: bassline intensifies

Phlegmish has a new favorite as of 20:40 on Feb 2, 2024