Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Fitzy Fitz posted:

So, is Circuit propped up by mountains of VC money like all the other surprisingly affordable app-based transportation services?

At least one of them has California plates fwiw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
thought of what dreams may come, went to look at the wikipedia article

quote:

While vacationing in Switzerland, pediatrician Chris Nielsen meets artist Annie Collins. They marry and have two children, Ian and Marie. Their idyllic life ends when the children die in a car crash. Four years later, Chris is also killed in a car crash. Unaware that he is dead, and confused that no one will interact with him, Chris lingers on Earth.

lol

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

quote:

The drawback to the new microtransit is there’s nothing mass about it. Each Bellevue shuttle only has six seats. So even with sophisticated computer algorithms governing its every move, it’s less efficient than express buses or rail trains

Techbro mind is a disease.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Platystemon posted:

Techbro mind is a disease.

has nothing to do with techbro mind, everything that happens in Bellevue is carefully choreographed by kemper freeman

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4

HashtagGirlboss posted:

There’s something quintessentially pac northwest about pulling up to a trailhead parking lot and there’s a crv or a Subaru blasting the splendid table at max volume

lol

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

I bet hucking a jbl flip that’s blasting hardcore history (rome, ofc) into an alpine lake is very satisfying but i could never bring myself to hurt gaia like that

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

'the splendid table' is the name of a very good, essential english language cookbook for the cuisine of the emilia romagna region of italy.
i am learning it is something else than a cookbook rn.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Real hurthling! posted:

'the splendid table' is the name of a very good, essential english language cookbook for the cuisine of the emilia romagna region of italy.

same person, had a show on NPR with a wider focus. that was the inspiration for the 'delicious dish' sketches on SNL

the show was on for twenty years until 2017, i learned a shitload from it

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

wild

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

i say swears online posted:

same person, had a show on NPR with a wider focus. that was the inspiration for the 'delicious dish' sketches on SNL

the show was on for twenty years until 2017, i learned a shitload from it

Isn’t it still on with a new host?

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Real hurthling! posted:

The Italians are disgusting

I didn't even realize the NPR show ended in 2017 because, just like the rest of NPR, it was background noise that ceased to exist when I turned the car off.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

https://usa.streetsblog.org/2024/01/29/report-we-should-stop-subsidizing-evs-for-all-and-focus-on-super-drivers

lmfao

quote:

According to a sprawling new analysis conducted by the pro-EV nonprofit Coltura, roughly 10 percent of U.S. motorists — or 21 million people — are driving an average of 110 miles every day. And because those same motorists are more likely to drive fuel-inefficient vehicles like SUVs and pick-ups, they collectively account for 35 percent of the nation’s total annual gasoline use — only slightly less than the fuel consumption of the entire population of China, and nearly 60 percent more than the entire European Union.

Apr 7, 2003

Clearly we need cheaper gas so we can burn even more

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I’m sure that those super highly regarded drivers who are currently driving trucks will enthusiastically embrace electric vehicles.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
https://www.reuters.com/business/autos-transportation/toyota-warns-50000-vehicle-owners-stop-driving/

been saying this.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

your regular reminder that most of the plastic in the ocean is from tires

https://twitter.com/mateosfo/status/1752151514875892015

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Fitzy Fitz posted:

your regular reminder that most of the plastic in the ocean is from tires

https://twitter.com/mateosfo/status/1752151514875892015

reminds me of the literal millions of old tires dumped into the ocean off the coast of florida. ostensible reason was "to build reefs"

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

bedpan posted:

reminds me of the literal millions of old tires dumped into the ocean off the coast of florida. ostensible reason was "to build reefs"

count me surprised there is an effort to remove them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osborne_Reef

quote:

As of November 2019, IDC was removing 2000–5000 tires per week, had accumulated a total of 250 thousand so far, and still had two thirds of the tires to go.

lmao

quote:

You get down about 20 feet and it starts to come into sight, it's actually really – it's like the moon or something. It's weird, it doesn't look like anything you could imagine, it's just tires for as far as you can see down there.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
they probably just didn’t dump enough, that’s why it didn’t work. they should try dumping more tires into the ocean, it’s worth a shot.

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

the horror show of conservation 50+ years ago. do some colossal dumb thing and then see what happens instead of experimenting small scale first. the critical failure of tire reefs besides that they are toxic is that the tires are loose and move around :science:

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
so what you’re saying is that they needed to weigh the tires down by also dumping car batteries on top

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

All of our waterways are full of tires anyway because people don't want to pay to dispose of them properly. I used to drag a bunch out of streams every year at volunteer events.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Fitzy Fitz posted:

All of our waterways are full of tires anyway because people don't want to pay to dispose of them properly. I used to drag a bunch out of streams every year at volunteer events.

Mattresses too. When I lived in South Carolina it used to be a fun game driving down a swampy dirt road through a forest counting all the dumped mattresses (not actually fun)

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Second Hand Meat Mouth posted:

has nothing to do with techbro mind, everything that happens in Bellevue is carefully choreographed by kemper freeman
christ I hate that fucker. He tried his best to stop the light rail there, because apparently have easy transit to near his mall would be bad for business.

Then there was Faye Garneau. That old bag fought every improvement to that massive scab called Aurora until she croaked.

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010

Fitzy Fitz posted:

This, except bike tires. I tried to dispose of one responsibly once, and figured out the reason they all get dumped on the river.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

god drat america.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

ArmedZombie posted:

god drat america.

amtrak should not count as "major passenger rail"

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Fitzy Fitz posted:

So, is Circuit propped up by mountains of VC money like all the other surprisingly affordable app-based transportation services?

quote:

A company called Circuit has been contracted to run a fleet of eight all-electric shuttles around the downtown portion of Bellevue.

The cost is $70,000 a month for the shuttles, the drivers and insurance.
They run 12 hours a day, seven days a week. Washington state minimum wage is $16.28/hr. Assuming that two shuttles are active on average at any given time (which seems low), that's $71,111.04/yr, assuming all drivers are part-time with zero costs aside from wages. So, if that were the case, two+ months eaten up in just driver wages.
Of course, they might be doing some sort of gig thing to get around the minimum wage. But that's a de facto subsidy in my mind, since I don't think cities should be employing people like that.

If you bump it to four drivers at a time, that's four months, more if they need benefits. This is to say nothing of any of the other personnel necessary to make this work.

Ham Equity has issued a correction as of 00:49 on Jan 31, 2024

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

The free electric shuttle in San Diego seemed mainly used to ferry drunk people from one bar to another two or three blocks over and maybe a few more to the waterfront. Which sounds very stupid, except there were some dangerous street crossing where cars and drunk people do not mix, so it probably saved a few otherwise-smashed pedestrians.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

ArmedZombie posted:

god drat america.
Many people are saying this!

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

ArmedZombie posted:

god drat america.

America is too big, unlike Eurasia

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

bedpan posted:

amtrak should not count as "major passenger rail"

A lot of those Amtrak lines on that map only run a few times a week.

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

Fitzy Fitz posted:

America is too big, unlike Eurasia

but it's too sparsely populated, unlike australia

Apr 7, 2003

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

this actually ain't too bad since it's cheaper than driving that route due to tolls, only an hour slower, and you can sleep

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

Lmfao almost all the kilometers of those Via Rail lines run once a week when they're not cancelled for several years cause the tracks are poo poo or the rolling stock is worn out.

Oh and the Corridor (the lines with actual service where half the Canadian population lives) hasn't had baggage cars for a good half decade now and we don't know when they're coming back.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

amtraks website keeps returning an error so i cant confirm this is still true, but, i recall looking at possibly taking a train from houston (where i live) to new orleans, and learning that the train only goes one way. or in other words it's not that much slower than driving to go from houston to new orleans, but if you want to return you have to catch the exact same route which goes to chicago and arizona before finally hitting houston again. great! real convenient.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

SimonSays posted:

Lmfao almost all the kilometers of those Via Rail lines run once a week when they're not cancelled for several years cause the tracks are poo poo or the rolling stock is worn out.

Oh and the Corridor (the lines with actual service where half the Canadian population lives) hasn't had baggage cars for a good half decade now and we don't know when they're coming back.

Yeah but High Frequency Rail is definitely coming. Definitely

Apr 7, 2003

lobster shirt posted:

houston (where i live)

ouch

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

varies widely obviously but my specific area is quite walkable and bikeable. very nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

this actually ain't too bad since it's cheaper than driving that route due to tolls, only an hour slower, and you can sleep

Now compare that to a bus.
About 60% the cost.

https://www.busbud.com/en/bus-sched...place_type=city

Nitrousoxide has issued a correction as of 03:41 on Jan 31, 2024