Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

RME posted:

Gon is actually a licensed/crossover char so his rear end is dead forever

Just need a new Gon function instead.

Like Neco Arc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Just need a new Gon function instead.

Like Neco Arc

They can use the Heihachi Pikachu from Pokken

Weasling Weasel
Oct 20, 2010
I'm playing Arcade Quest, and I've got some early thoughts on it. Compared to Tekken 7, which I played for two hours and just put down forever because it was just undecipherable, it's a god send if you don't have any legacy or mechaical knowledge, but it's just a little short of the level of explanation I need to get into it, and what I felt SF6's World Tour mode managed to bring.

Starts with teaching you a simple launcher in into heat move combo, and just asks you to use it in matches with recommended moves to win your first battles, but it doesn't explain when is a good time to be using the launcher, what you should be doing once you've spent all your rage match start, and what the other recommended moves are bringing. Are they complimentary to learning the rage combo, are they complimentary to the character you're playing against, are they complimentary to the opponents you're playing against in Arcane quest? I'm a bit unclear.

Second quest then makes you learn a non-rage launcher combo and then the one after Power Crushes, and then lows and throws the time after, and mixes up the recommended mooves each time it teaches you something... but am I supposed to just be focusing on that powercrush in each game to get used to it, am I supposed to be remembering and layering it over the stuff I learn previously? I'm understanding what it's trying to teach me as Ling, but just not why it's just trying to teach me at each particularly point, and how that relates to overall gameplan. In SF6 WT you'd fight a string of enemies all spamming the same mood, each trying to teach you a fundamental skill like anti-air, punishing unsafe moves, jumping etc, and it'd hit you with it over and over again through a segment to reinforce what scenario it's useful for, but Arcade Quest seems to treat the learning more like, 'Ok, here's a new fundamental concept, now just go back to having another normal battle again'.

Still a godsend rather than having to just use youtube videos to learn as it gives you something to hold on to, but I still don't feel like I'm learning Tekken or becoming a better player from doing it.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Orv posted:

I mean there are definitely characters that fit the more like, grim, grounded aesthetic of Tekken which is definitely part of why I've always felt like it's cooler or 'more real' than other fighting games. But this is also a series where a man with a jaguar head is a Mexican professional wrestler and the main conflict in the story is that some people just genetically have a bit of Satan, The Devil in them. Bryan is a cyborg but also kind of a zombie and he's Real Mad. It's an inherently dumb series and the head of a ninja assassination clan being some posh, John Wick French guy feels pretty on point.

That's subjective, of course but I'm definitely in camp it works.

If you think Tekken has a grim, grounded aesthetic then I strongly encourage you to play the story mode.

This has always been a game where Roy Batty can fight a space ninja.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Spuckuk posted:

If you think Tekken has a grim, grounded aesthetic then I strongly encourage you to play the story mode.

This has always been a game where Roy Batty can fight a space ninja.

Oh I think it tries to but it definitely doesn’t succeed. I think more accurately that it tries to look ‘real’ compared to a lot of the other games in the genre but honestly MK looks pretty realistic these days too and Tekken still outdoes MK on the anime factor.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I think people took this tweet too seriously

https://twitter.com/beanytuesday/status/1302380197560414211

Edit: oh right tweets

"This every Guilty Gear character vs every Tekken character"

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
King? Good.

Orv
May 4, 2011

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I think people took this tweet too seriously

Listen cognitive dissonance is very impactful, in this essay I will

brainSnakes
Jul 11, 2011

I'd never save you in a million years
They should really bring Jimmy back

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
I am incredibly bad at this game.

Autsj
Nov 9, 2011

Weasling Weasel posted:

I'm playing Arcade Quest, and I've got some early thoughts on it. Compared to Tekken 7, which I played for two hours and just put down forever because it was just undecipherable, it's a god send if you don't have any legacy or mechaical knowledge, but it's just a little short of the level of explanation I need to get into it, and what I felt SF6's World Tour mode managed to bring.

Starts with teaching you a simple launcher in into heat move combo, and just asks you to use it in matches with recommended moves to win your first battles, but it doesn't explain when is a good time to be using the launcher, what you should be doing once you've spent all your rage match start, and what the other recommended moves are bringing. Are they complimentary to learning the rage combo, are they complimentary to the character you're playing against, are they complimentary to the opponents you're playing against in Arcane quest? I'm a bit unclear.

Second quest then makes you learn a non-rage launcher combo and then the one after Power Crushes, and then lows and throws the time after, and mixes up the recommended mooves each time it teaches you something... but am I supposed to just be focusing on that powercrush in each game to get used to it, am I supposed to be remembering and layering it over the stuff I learn previously? I'm understanding what it's trying to teach me as Ling, but just not why it's just trying to teach me at each particularly point, and how that relates to overall gameplan. In SF6 WT you'd fight a string of enemies all spamming the same mood, each trying to teach you a fundamental skill like anti-air, punishing unsafe moves, jumping etc, and it'd hit you with it over and over again through a segment to reinforce what scenario it's useful for, but Arcade Quest seems to treat the learning more like, 'Ok, here's a new fundamental concept, now just go back to having another normal battle again'.

Still a godsend rather than having to just use youtube videos to learn as it gives you something to hold on to, but I still don't feel like I'm learning Tekken or becoming a better player from doing it.

The concepts they teach are just kinda in order of what they think you should try, a tutorial with some fights in between; with specific moves selected per character. The actual fights do tend to have specific gimmicks with a lot of opponents having specific gimmicky patterns for the player to figure out, which is good. Where I think it fails is that with the fights only being best of 3, and there not being a rematch button. The player doesn't really get the chance to figure things out before they need to sit through 2 loading screens and retry. So kinda in a way they teach the player to just gimmick out the fights and 1 and done it.

Overall I think it's a neat step in the right direction, but it does feel a bit like a second draft that needs a bit of fine-tuning.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

unattended spaghetti posted:

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

Lenne Hardt announcer mod (should have been default!)

link is kinda-nsfw. at least I wouldn't want it to show up on my work monitor. why are you looking at tekken mods at work anyways?

https://tekkenmods.com/mod/3130/tekken-8-trailer-announcer-mod-lenne-hardt

Iserlohn
Nov 3, 2011

Watch out!

Here comes the third tactic.
Lipstick Apathy
There's a point in Arcade Quest where they teach you how to do a launcher into tornado combo, and I thought to myself oh that's the sort of combo I should be doing in all my games. I could count the number of times I executed it on one hand.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Beat arcade mode on hard a couple times and felt great, then installed Windows solely to get online and

E4C85D38
Feb 7, 2010

Doesn't that thing only
hold six rounds...?

Autsj posted:

The concepts they teach are just kinda in order of what they think you should try, a tutorial with some fights in between; with specific moves selected per character. The actual fights do tend to have specific gimmicks with a lot of opponents having specific gimmicky patterns for the player to figure out, which is good. Where I think it fails is that with the fights only being best of 3, and there not being a rematch button. The player doesn't really get the chance to figure things out before they need to sit through 2 loading screens and retry. So kinda in a way they teach the player to just gimmick out the fights and 1 and done it.

Overall I think it's a neat step in the right direction, but it does feel a bit like a second draft that needs a bit of fine-tuning.

There is a rematch in Arcade Quest, but only for matches you sit down at a cabinet for. If you start a fight through dialog, no rematch option.

I've jumped characters a few times but I'm liking Victor so far, which I didn't expect.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Kinda want more stages
Number feels light

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
Whats the vibe you get when you're facing a mirror matchup

I'm 'maining" King at the moment and when I meet another King it's 100% hype but i feel like two Kazuya mains would be filled with anger

AttackTheMoon
Jul 4, 2015

So I'm playing tekken, and im playing Yoshimitsu because he's the coolest character. This is my first tekken. I'm in practice mode, doing all these cool tricks. I'm in his move list, going through it, and I get to move like, 50. And im thinking to myself, wow this is a lot of moves! And then i keep going. and keep going. and keep going. Eventually i scroll down the list to see that this fucker has 193 individual moves. Like 100 more than the god drat bear

Pockyless
Jun 6, 2004
With flaming Canadians and such :(
Jun mirrors are weird because both our life bars are dancing around as we self damage and heal

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

Real hurthling! posted:

Kinda want more stages
Number feels light

Number isn't too bad imo. I was actually gonna post how I like the stages we've got so far much more than T7. A lot of cool designs and theming also, no endless stages which I always hated. Really big stages like Colliseum are more fun designwise and tactically. The good news is new tekken dlc characters often come with stages so expect a lot more down the road.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Solus posted:

I'm 'maining" King at the moment and when I meet another King it's 100% hype but i feel like two Kazuya mains would be filled with anger

I don't like mirrors with any character in any game but with how deep the movelist and knowledge checks are in tekken I usually whip out more deep cut moves and sequences. People who main that character will naturally understand the characters basic frame work more and how to exploit it sinces thats how they lose. I usually play less aggressive than vs other chars and so what they do for awhile too.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Yeah they are all good. Just a lot of them are repeats with different lighting

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

How does the ranked placement thing work? I beat the bot all 3 rounds (though the last round was kinda close because I spent all of it fishing for launchers to get some juggle practice) and got dumped into beginner

Admittedly I'm not super great at Tekken, but idk that I'd really describe myself as a beginner necessarily? Bonus weirdness was my first ranked opponent who could do electrics routinely but otherwise just fished for hellsweeps and used the same 3 strings as kazuya lol

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

Solus posted:

I go "oh poo poo they're going to realize I'm just a pretender moron who doesn't know what I'm doing!" but at least I usually pick up a few tricks.

"Heh, oh that combo I'm doing? Yeah I know it's not max damage but... I thought I'd go easy on you since we're character buddies..."

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

Solus posted:

Well I usually play Paul so it's "Hey this guy doesn't look so tough, I'll just use a bunch of gigantic punches"

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Extra Large Marge posted:

Well I usually play Paul so it's "Hey this guy doesn't look so tough, I'll just use a bunch of gigantic punches"

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
So, my whole game plan right now, playing Law cause he seems aggro and ignorant, is to just let people do some unsafe poo poo and then punish with df2 into a pathetic combo. This is working far better than I expected, but I find it kinda difficult to know when to step stuff or with what timing. I also get clipped by lows constantly because I'm not used to relying on stand guard and ducking to catch them. I don't know what my point is I'm having a blast but dang it is gonna take me forever to get used to this.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Solus posted:

"oh my god someone else plays shaheen"

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Solus posted:

Playing Asuka that means just staring and waiting, hoping, the person decides to make a move first and if you run out the clock because neither of you moved that's probably acceptable.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Solus posted:

"oh poo poo, he's going to discover I'm a fraud"

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Solus posted:

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachme...eeb01422325ff3&

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Been maining Azu but have been running through all the characters in Practice to see what they can do in heat and...... Xiaoyu seems really fun this edition. I used her a decent bit in T7 and the moves and setups came back to me pretty quick. She's got some really dope heat options so I think I might have to try her out for a few days. I'm having success with Azu but I feel like her stances are less coherent than others who are tricksters. Eddy flows very well for me and Xiaoyu also has more options and logic in her flow then Azu I think. Oh yeah, Xiaoyu had some kinda tricky combos and they made them easier (along with a lot of combos across the board which I dont like but alas) so she'll be pretty quick to pick up again I think.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

Solus posted:

Some day I will find another Zafina in the wild and see for myself. We’ll probably do a bunch of random tarantula stance crawling like a weird secret handshake

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I mained Zafina in 7 but the changes in 8 were a lot to deal with and I thought it would be easier to just stat with a different character until the Tekken scientists sort out how to play this New Zafina lol

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010
I've had zero mirror matches as either bear. In fact, I think I've yet to run into a Kuma or a Panda at all across hundreds of matches.

I've won all my Xiaoyu mirror matches (because I'm slightly underranked by virtue of playing a little bit with everyone to start out, instead of trying to go as high as I can with Ling), but once I run into someone good, I don't think I'll be getting away with my spinning and ff2 jumping and BT heat move into hypnotist 3 bullshit anymore.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!

Solus posted:

My dude I'm "maining" Kuma and I struggle to find people who don't just bail after the first match because there's no room for a bear in star glasses and a top hat in their serious karate man fight game. :(

But when I do find a Kuma mirror you better believe I am dissecting that poo poo in replays afterwards to find new tech to incorporate.

Edit:

Skjorte posted:

I've had zero mirror matches as either bear. In fact, I think I've yet to run into a Kuma or a Panda at all across hundreds of matches.

Maybe we'll meet each other down the road, share a salmon, play with a beach ball, take a nap, just have a good time. :)

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

DeadButDelicious posted:

My dude I'm "maining" Kuma and I struggle to find people who don't just bail after the first match because there's no room for a bear in star glasses and a top hat in their serious karate man fight game. :(

But when I do find a Kuma mirror you better believe I am dissecting that poo poo in replays afterwards to find new tech to incorporate.

Edit:

Maybe we'll meet each other down the road, share a salmon, play with a beach ball, take a nap, just have a good time. :)

you know you can just add each other as tekken friends and play

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!
Well yeah but I only had my first online matches on Monday, gotta build up some confidence first. Baby steps my friend. :)