Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Private Speech posted:

The beginning of that review basically seems like marketing copy.

The beginning of that review is quoting Apple's marketing pitch for the device in a sceptical tone. What are you talking about

The Eyes Have It posted:

Two insights about this whole space from that article jump out to me:

The first is the #1, biggest question in the list of pro/con: "Am I willing to mess to my hair every time I put this on?"

I didn't properly appreciate this myself in product design until late, and found it bewildering personally, but it's true and can't be ignored. People HATE putting things on their heads, and they HATE messing up their hair. Exhibit A is that it's literally the #1 thing mentioned in this article's "yes, but" section, twice, in an article that even acknowledges what the device is and that what it does is sometimes magical. This isn't some rando, this person is absolutely an enthusiast.

The article brings up a lot of early adopter and what I'd consider non-technical issues, but it's true there are also still big, core technical tradeoffs in this space. And as analyst and former optical guy Karl Guttag likes to say, if all it took to solve those problems was money and smart people, they'd be solved by now.

I think it's really hard to overstate just how much of a hurdle this kind of thing is. Especially when the pitch for this is that it's good for an office/professional setting, where your appearance does matter. And when you consider that this thing isn't exactly solving any problems but arguing that it is making reality better, it's a tough sell when the answer is 'I can do all this on my laptop and not be uncomfortable and have bad hair.

I think even though it's evidently way too heavy, they're clearly trying to make it cool looking. All the curves and glass do make it the nicest looking headset. But it's still a headset.

The Grumbles fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jan 30, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
I feel like it's for a home office much more than an actual office. I'd totally agree with the reviewer that it'd be needlessly isolating if the people you're interacting with are literally there in person.
As a distance thing though, built in webcams that innately pre-filter your appearance (by simulating half of it) actually sounds like it could be nice for remote work; no need to worry about stuff getting picked up in the background or terrible angles. When it doesn't look uncanny as hell anyway. I'm not convinced that's a dead end in any case.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Kwolok posted:

I've been saying this forever. "Wow I can view pictures in a slightly new way. A completely isolating lonely way!"

This is exactly the fundamental issue with every non-VR approach. The level of AR we have (and will have for a long while) is just going to be a frustrating barrier between you and the real world; it's not going to expand what you can do in real life, it's going to restrict it, and it's doing it in service of a virtual world that has fewer possibilities than full VR.

VR is the thing that has the possibility of connecting people in a way second only to how well you can in real life, but the software needs to be built to actually do that and most things aren't

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Kwolok posted:

I've been saying this forever. "Wow I can view pictures in a slightly new way. A completely isolating lonely way!"

Nah, here's me looking at my family pictures with my Apple Vision Pro. Nothing lonely about it at all!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arTIRgdEb1g&t=82s

Stanko-Prussian
May 22, 2006

CLEAN YOUR ROOM!, 'they' said.
DO YOUR HOMEWORK!, 'they' said.
WHY ARE YOU IN LOVE WITH A CARTOON PONY, 'they' said.
FOR GODSAKE! STOP SHOWING US YOUR BLACKHOLE'!! 'they' said.

When I lit the match....STOP SCREAMING, 'I' said

The Grumbles posted:

Vision Pro reviews embargos have lifted.

https://www.theverge.com/24054862/apple-vision-pro-review-vr-ar-headset-features-price

As everyone expected, it probably needs a few more generations.

So the summary i've taken from this is "It's three and half grand because it's using displays from 2026 but not really using them for much, and pretty much everything else cool about it is in the software not the hardware."

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

Lemming posted:

This is exactly the fundamental issue with every non-VR approach. The level of AR we have (and will have for a long while) is just going to be a frustrating barrier between you and the real world; it's not going to expand what you can do in real life, it's going to restrict it, and it's doing it in service of a virtual world that has fewer possibilities than full VR.

VR is the thing that has the possibility of connecting people in a way second only to how well you can in real life, but the software needs to be built to actually do that and most things aren't

I mean things like vermillion have the ability to do painting in pass through in a shared space with another person in headset. These things are possible but good luck finding two dipshits willing to drop 3.5k on a headset so you can see their virtual gallery of lovely iphone photos. (if it even had built in support for shared AR spaces which it doesn't)

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

little rich toy for little rich boys

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

With my dear childhood memories of playing the great Tie Fighter, I look at this VR game with hope. 24 mission old school single player campaign
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhoZ7IR32YM
https://www.meta.com/en-gb/experiences/7003408743005128/

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Kwolok posted:

I mean things like vermillion have the ability to do painting in pass through in a shared space with another person in headset. These things are possible but good luck finding two dipshits willing to drop 3.5k on a headset so you can see their virtual gallery of lovely iphone photos. (if it even had built in support for shared AR spaces which it doesn't)

I mean yeah this is the perfect example; what's cool about Vermillion is that you don't need to be in the same room with real paints to have the experience of painting with someone else. You can do that all in VR. Doing it in real life is like... why, you could paint together in real life, you've already done all the hard work of having a ton of disposable income and actually scheduled to have someone show up in the same room as you. Now you've both got dumbass things on your head.

The value in that experience is being able to paint together in a way that's not as good as doing it in real life, but made way more accessible and social through VR. This feels so clear to me that I'm constantly confused by all the AR nonsense positioning itself as being the "social" version of VR. It's so dumb

Tomathan
Nov 6, 2006
They won't let us wear our baggy pants
Crossposting from the Final Fantasy Thread, but anyone with a quest 3 and a passing interest in playing with miniature video game characters like they were toys should give Figmin XR a try. Its basically mixed reality tilt brush, but what sets it apart is that it will play the animations on the models you load into it through its sketchfab integration, which let me create the below. And they recently added motion paths so now you can make those characters look like they are really walking. The video has sound if you are wanting the full experience.

https://i.imgur.com/KBLbhK4.mp4

Desdinova
Dec 16, 2004
I had to be on my toes, like a midget at a urinal!
Those wall and floor textures are from the late 90's, right? Cool models though, looks like fun.

Tomathan
Nov 6, 2006
They won't let us wear our baggy pants
The walls are Gifs from the gif lookup in the app, just blown up to be huge. The floor is a random sketchfab plain I found.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Koramei posted:

VR's original audience (nerds) don't care about it but yeah people shouldn't dismiss the hair/makeup thing. I've done a couple of stints as a docent managing headsets at an exhibition and people that are gussied up get a lot less curious about it once they realize how smothering and messy headsets can be.

The review mostly seems like stuff we've already known for a while, although heavier than the quest 3 is pretty disappointing. kinda fundamentally disagree with the idea the tech is inherently isolating though; relative to reality for sure, but thats a less and less dominant part of many people's lives. Once the grotesque avatars are a few generations down the line I think this kind of computing offers the promise of making things <less> isolating than 2d screens. Being in proximity to someone you know in VR space is so much more real feeling than near anything else that's possible digitally.

Stanko-Prussian
May 22, 2006

CLEAN YOUR ROOM!, 'they' said.
DO YOUR HOMEWORK!, 'they' said.
WHY ARE YOU IN LOVE WITH A CARTOON PONY, 'they' said.
FOR GODSAKE! STOP SHOWING US YOUR BLACKHOLE'!! 'they' said.

When I lit the match....STOP SCREAMING, 'I' said
I love that all the coverage i've seen so far has had a bit in it like "the headset is a premium affair, made of solid magnesium and aluminium, unlike the cheap plastic of the quest" and then a paragraph later going "the thing is though, it weighs a loving ton for some reason??" :iiam:

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
If ever there were a company reviewers are afraid of biting the hand and losing early access, Apple is at the top of the list. So remember that all of these early reviews are going to be way more positive than negative and any negativity is going to packaged as acceptable or hidden behind faux praise.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

alright I bought a quest 3 lol. It is a lot sharper to the point that wearing my glasses feels necessary (poo poo was blurry on the Q1 anyway) so I might order some of those lens inserts. The default strap was the most uncomfortable vr strap I've ever worn no matter what adjustments I did so I also bought a kiwi comfort strap that seems alright. I know people say the battery on the back of the strap balances the weight better but I'm extremely leery of adding anymore weight to my head since I get neck pain easily (why I bought the cheaper comfort instead of the one with a battery).

Though I will say the q3 battery seems surprisingly short. The Q1 battery was never an issue because I'd get uncomfortable enough to take a break long before the battery ran out but starting at 70% the Q3 was nearly out after 1 full golf game. That was with brightness down a tad, but maybe I had something else sucking down battery (we were in an oculus party instead of relying on the golf party audio). If the battery is an issue I still think I'd prefer to have a big extra battery in my pocket or strapped to my arm rather than more head weight.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

When I did my first Pavlov Shack session with my 3 I was very surprised to see how quickly it was draining. I was playing Lego Bricktales the other day in Passthrough and it was going down pretty quickly as well.

I've had the Bobo M3 and a battery for a while now and they are nice, I would definitely recommend getting a battery though.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I saw the Bobo widely recommended but it looked kinda janky compared to the Kiwi. I used a number of straps on my Q1 and none of them were ever really comfortable so I don't have a preferred strap style. On my Q1 I ended up sticking with the modified Vive audio strap as the least uncomfortable. I dunno if it can be modified to work on the Q3 or the lesser weight of the Q3 would make it much better, but the audio on this one seems fine enough to not bother with audio replacement anyway.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

I think the Quest 3 battery lasts about 2/3rds as long as the Quest 1, but the problem is that hitting 1h40m (or less if not full) is much easier than hitting 2h30m or so.

You can just get a long/sturdy USB-C cable and plug it into the provided charger, that way it's not an issue. Not really a problem to take it with you when travelling either, but you do have to be okay with the cable.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Lemming posted:

I mean yeah this is the perfect example; what's cool about Vermillion is that you don't need to be in the same room with real paints to have the experience of painting with someone else. You can do that all in VR. Doing it in real life is like... why, you could paint together in real life, you've already done all the hard work of having a ton of disposable income and actually scheduled to have someone show up in the same room as you. Now you've both got dumbass things on your head.

The value in that experience is being able to paint together in a way that's not as good as doing it in real life, but made way more accessible and social through VR. This feels so clear to me that I'm constantly confused by all the AR nonsense positioning itself as being the "social" version of VR. It's so dumb

This is also something you can also already do in VRChat, with groups running art classes and even posed sessions.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Vermillion rocks because compared to real paint it's faster to set up, easier to use, cleaner, and has an undo. And it works well enough that the same techniques work.

Of course it's not the same. Our dollar store paint stuff has its place but when my partner and I want to just follow a Bob Ross tutorial and paint together, it's worth the hassle of looking like two dorks with headset and controllers.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Kwolok posted:

If ever there were a company reviewers are afraid of biting the hand and losing early access, Apple is at the top of the list. So remember that all of these early reviews are going to be way more positive than negative and any negativity is going to packaged as acceptable or hidden behind faux praise.

This is some mid-2000’s rear end gamer games journalism paranoia lol. Most of the reviews I’ve seen, in particular that verge one, are like ‘this is very nice technology but still a massive compromise that is at odds with the dream they are trying to sell.

It doesn’t work like that, at least with proper journalists. Wall Street journal and the verge employ incredibly well connected do not need to worry about ‘biting the hand’.

Opinionated
May 29, 2002

explosivo posted:

Apparently that Underdogs game is pretty good going from the reviews, anyone here give it a try?

I've almost bought it a few times now for PC, definitely looks good! Probably will here soon

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

The Grumbles posted:

This is some mid-2000’s rear end gamer games journalism paranoia lol. Most of the reviews I’ve seen, in particular that verge one, are like ‘this is very nice technology but still a massive compromise that is at odds with the dream they are trying to sell.

It doesn’t work like that, at least with proper journalists. Wall Street journal and the verge employ incredibly well connected do not need to worry about ‘biting the hand’.

lmao yeah the company who has built its entire brand on PR first and marketing spin I am sure is super just and fair with how it doles out its early access.

Kwolok fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jan 31, 2024

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I nabbed that HTC Vive, I also feel like a jerk and wanna take back what I said about it probably being some spoilt kid selling his old gear. He was a stand up dude who was just trying to scrounge together some cash.

Does anyone know where I might buy replacement face pads?

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Kwolok posted:

lmao yeah the company who has built its entire brand on PR first and marketing spin I am sure is super just and fair with how it doles out its early access.

Are you actually familiar with Apples releases or just spouting random bullshit?

They only push a "new thing" when it "works as they envision" it or whatever. This generally means even if the product itself don't stick initially it WORKED.

Again, this has nothing to do with market retention of a product. Obviously apples had some poo poo die. But at the very least the things they do release tend to work.

Qubee posted:

I nabbed that HTC Vive, I also feel like a jerk and wanna take back what I said about it probably being some spoilt kid selling his old gear. He was a stand up dude who was just trying to scrounge together some cash.

Does anyone know where I might buy replacement face pads?

Amazon.

https://amzn.to/48VLikP
Super cheap thin ones

https://amzn.to/48WK1dd

VR Cover brand.

Vive pro and vive pro 2 things fit the old vive so itll help expand the search if you want something beyond what I linked but I'd honestly recommend the VRCover ones long term. I don't mind the cheap ones for sweaty stuff where im just going to be bouncing around and not thinking about my headset being comfy. But the VR cover ones are way nicer obviously. Theres still heaps of vendors tho.

NOTE I do NOT recommend the actual HTC VIVE ones from VR Cover though. They seem to only have the thinner 6mm and if you're going that thin just seriously buy the cheap ones. There isn't a difference I swear.

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jan 31, 2024

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
has anyone figured out how to add custom music to Unplugged? i like it a lot as a game but i simply do not love the developers taste in music

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Any thread recommendations for must-have VR games to try out? When I last tried out the HTC Vive, I got awful motion sickness from using it. I'm hoping to get over that hump this time around by stopping any play the second I feel nauseous.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

Qubee posted:

Any thread recommendations for must-have VR games to try out? When I last tried out the HTC Vive, I got awful motion sickness from using it. I'm hoping to get over that hump this time around by stopping any play the second I feel nauseous.

Beat Saber.
Walk about Minigolf
Vermillion (if you like painting)
Into the Radius
Until you fall

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Synth Riders
Puzzling Places (e: Quest only though)

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Superhot
Beat Saber
Walkabout Minigolf
Brookhaven Experiment -- old PCVR game but works if you want a shooty game that doesn't have moving (you're expected to turn in place mostly)

100% skip stuff like Into the Radius or Until you Fall, etc if you have issues with motion sickness because they have VR locomotion as core game elements and that takes some getting used to. None of the other titles I liested have locomotion jank.

Turin Turambar posted:

Start with "standing" games without artificial movement
:hmmyes:

The Eyes Have It fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jan 31, 2024

LIterallyABikeshop
Nov 13, 2023

The Grumbles posted:

bad news about the journalism industry: every proper journalist worries about access

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I don't think Apple is that nervous about how ecstatic the reviews are on their probably sold out expensive rear end sorta developer preview device.

I'm still surprised they are goggles though. If it's primarily about media consumption/AR/fake monitor stuff then why not glasses? You don't care about immersion in AR stuff and for daily use I actually want it to be easier to see around me where the goggles are obstructing. The Nreal glasses work pretty well their problem is software support. The googles look pretty dumb for a post-iphone era Apple device too.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Kwolok posted:

But all the reviews range from faint praise to damning criticism? Did you read any of the Verge's review? It's really critical of the whole concept of the product.

LIterallyABikeshop posted:

bad news about the journalism industry: every proper journalist worries about access

Yes because it's a hard balancing act to maintain good relationships with PRs while also maintaining your editorial integrity. But like, people do it

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Qubee posted:

Start with "standing" games without artificial movement

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3-77MKew0s
Metro VR game for psvr2

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2669410/Metro_Awakening/

And Steam

LIterallyABikeshop
Nov 13, 2023

The Grumbles posted:

But all the reviews range from faint praise to damning criticism? Did you read any of the Verge's review? It's really critical of the whole concept of the product.

Yes because it's a hard balancing act to maintain good relationships with PRs while also maintaining your editorial integrity. But like, people do it

the Venn diagram of financially successful technology and videogame journalists and sycophants is basically a perfect circle

Opinionated
May 29, 2002

explosivo posted:

Apparently that Underdogs game is pretty good going from the reviews, anyone here give it a try?

Got my tax return today so I bought it on steam :cool:

Really surprised it's only 1.8gb after download, makes me worried that it might be a bit thin, but I know it's heavily stylized graphics

I'll try to remember to report back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Qubee posted:

VRChat obviously, but make sure to join one of the over-18-only groups like Ancients of VRChat. Social events, music events, improv theater, and simple knockoffs of any other game you can think of (including various board games and stuff like Overcooked) are some of the highlights of things you can find if you go looking for it.