Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I’ve been killed by one :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Pretty sure I died from the environment the first time one warped me out of my vessel and I was in too much of a blind panic to find my way back.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Got eaten by the big boy who occasionally comes out into the world from the Lost River, when they teleported me into the open water while I was running away from him in my Seamoth.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
the OP did say "directly" by a warper, which seems like the kind of thing that would take exceptionally poor planning (low enough health to be 1 shot) or just sitting there making sure they're hitting you and not any other fish. I got disoriented once when I got warped out and didn't know that the prawn suit would hold position instead of falling like bailing out does was my closest call with them.

But a lot of the enemies can sort of combo like that? In BZ I didn't have a problem with the sharktopus until some minor thing distracted me long enough for one to close distance.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

JawnV6 posted:

the OP did say "directly" by a warper, which seems like the kind of thing that would take exceptionally poor planning (low enough health to be 1 shot) or just sitting there making sure they're hitting you and not any other fish. I got disoriented once when I got warped out and didn't know that the prawn suit would hold position instead of falling like bailing out does was my closest call with them.

But a lot of the enemies can sort of combo like that? In BZ I didn't have a problem with the sharktopus until some minor thing distracted me long enough for one to close distance.

I said "directly" specifically because I have been royally hosed over by a warper zapping me out of my seamoth, which then got me killed by other means, but never from them directly.

Just fyi, for anyone who never noticed, they shoot an orb at you to warp you that you CAN dodge, it's not just some proximity effect they have.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Jan 12, 2024

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Lore warpers: a deadly and persistent threat that did in most of your crew mates.

Gameplay warpers:🥺🐰🥺

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

It’s funny how the Precursors went to such trouble to create hunter-killer warp monsters to specifically kill things that have a terminal disease

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Endless Trash posted:

It’s funny how the Precursors went to such trouble to create hunter-killer warp monsters to specifically kill things that have a terminal disease

The natural selection version of khara was super-zombies with horrific mutations.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

I got sick over New Year's and conveniently remembered that this game existed. Turns out tooling around gathering resources and avoiding leviathans is a pretty good way to spend time recovering from a cold! Anyway, here's my base that's taken me all the way up to the early endgame.

I'm pretty proud of it, but am currently halfway through mostly disassembling it to construct my new main base in the Lost River across from the big tree.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
https://twitter.com/Subnautica/status/1749857282152608229

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

I hadn't played this game in maybe 5 years, not sure, but fired it up recently. It took a bit to remember how everything works but after that it became real fun again. It was wild going into a base after that long with updates and stuff, there was some lagging, flooded bases and weirdness with me not having seemingly simple blueprints or blueprints for things I swear I've made before. I was lacking a few key BPs for where I was in the game in general. Turned online which felt a little like cheating but I'd put my time in before and now a few major hurdles have fallen. First I found the advanced upgrade mobile device thing which you need to get good depth with the seamoth, and this in turn allows for some neat deep water exploration. But the big thing I was lacking is I needed to go back on the Aurora and get the prawn and the launch pad BPs. I'd played like 40 hours without the Prawn.
This is still a great game. The grinding is very minor and it's usually done in a fun environment. The world itself is extremely well done. Feels way bigger than it is - which is part of the fun of slowly expanding your circle from the first days of the game. And it has base building which appeals to a lot of folks.

Reading a bit of the last page for my 2 cents the world is scary enough as is. Somehow I've never been killed by any of the big stuff. I did die when I re-started recently because I'd forgotten that you have to equip to refill O2 tanks and ran out of air trying to get a BP. Yeah I just got the sonar recently and it's a real game changer. I'm torn though. It allows you to see where you really are in terms of the environment but that takes a bit of the mystery away too. It does appear to drain power like crazy.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
I've been watching one of my kids play and she's really good at growing crops and caring for creatures in her conservatory/nursery. The game has a surprising amount of depth, pun intended.

Now I want to play, but in VR. Can I used the Quest2 controllers or do I need a gamepad?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I got double teamed by a warper and a crabsquid, the warper evicted me from the seamoth, the crabsquid eats the seamoth, and I drown nearly a kilometre below sea level

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

tango alpha delta posted:

I've been watching one of my kids play and she's really good at growing crops and caring for creatures in her conservatory/nursery. The game has a surprising amount of depth, pun intended.

Now I want to play, but in VR. Can I used the Quest2 controllers or do I need a gamepad?

Unless some new mods have come out since I last played it has no support for Quest controllers, you use the gamepad for most inputs and where you're looking with the headset serves as your cursor. If you're going to play in VR make sure you get this mod first:

https://www.nexusmods.com/subnautica/mods/173

The VR implementation by the developers is kind of shoddy and has a lot of clear issues, this fixes or alleviates all the main oversights.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Playing with mouse and keyboard in VR works much better for me than with gamepad, it's an option

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

YggiDee posted:

I got double teamed by a warper and a crabsquid, the warper evicted me from the seamoth, the crabsquid eats the seamoth, and I drown nearly a kilometre below sea level

And this is the danger of warpers.

They're like the lethal underwater wingmen.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
I didn't think critters went aggro on unmanned vehicles? At least some of the bigger ones seem to. I had a tense kyanite mining run where the Cyclops was hiding me from some big fish.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

They'll nibble at it if the lights are on.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

I've definitely had crab squid and the mushroom-dwelling snakes chomp on my seamoth while I've been exploring the Degassi ruins.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!
The screamy ones have a special animation for destroying a sea moth you're not in.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

And this is the danger of warpers.

They're like the lethal underwater wingmen.

This is why crabsquids are the one enemy I took the time to kill on sight with the stasis rifle and thermal knife.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Pander posted:

This is why crabsquids are the one enemy I took the time to kill on sight with the stasis rifle and thermal knife.

Same. I don't even flinch or hesitate anymore. If a crabsquid is nearby, it won't be.

Edit: I just had the most perfect imagery of a potential S3 moment, which is of me, my wife, and one of our friends in the Cyclops. My wife is piloting the thing and she spots a crabsquid, calls it out. I tell my friend, who's new to the Subnautica games, to get ready to swim. "Why?" he asks. "We're going crabsquid hunting. Bring your knife", and we head out and take care of it.

I want (legit, non-janky) Subnautica multiplayer sooooooooooo much. So very much.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jan 30, 2024

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

I want (legit, non-janky) Subnautica multiplayer sooooooooooo much. So very much.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

SlothfulCobra posted:

They'll nibble at it if the lights are on.

you turn the lights oN!?!?!? :stare:

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

JawnV6 posted:

you turn the lights oN!?!?!? :stare:

One of the things I loved doing early in subnautica was settling the seamoth above a wreck with the lights on and exploring it at night. Right up until I was mid exploration and the lights suddenly went dark. Thinking I'd run out of battery or something I swam out and was immediately eaten by the same thing my seamoth's lights had attracted.

GoingPostal
Jun 1, 2015

I love Derek Smart
U love Derek Smart
If we didn't love Derek Smart, we'd be lame
Yeah, I was leaving the l8ghts on as well, so I could remember which door I'd gone in through. Until I got the Prawn, anyway. Then it was pure :black101:

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Yngwie Mangosteen posted:

One of the things I loved doing early in subnautica was settling the seamoth above a wreck with the lights on and exploring it at night. Right up until I was mid exploration and the lights suddenly went dark. Thinking I'd run out of battery or something I swam out and was immediately eaten by the same thing my seamoth's lights had attracted.

Holy poo poo that's cool

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Yngwie Mangosteen posted:

There's several wrecks whose exploration benefit greatly from using the Seamoth high beams as a floodlight. When I was newer to the game it consistently helped me find my way back out of them.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

I played creative mode with my kiddo since they were 4 and had so much fun with this game. They’re 7 now and we finally started a survival mode game and actually managing everything with them is just insanely fun.

We’ve taken tons of notes on where to find things and beacons so they will randomly say to me as I’m driving them to school “I think we can find some lithium if we go to the Dry Land beacon.” Such a blast

Still a bit scary but now that I’ve played the game 4-5 times I’m pretty good at avoiding jump scares or laughing them off.

Released a Cuddlefish by our base and he immediately got attacked by a stalker who had somehow de-tethered from the kelp zone by our base lmao. I did a quick google and confirmed the fish didn’t die but may have been teleported somewhere.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Tom Tucker posted:

I played creative mode with my kiddo since they were 4 and had so much fun with this game. They’re 7 now and we finally started a survival mode game and actually managing everything with them is just insanely fun.

We’ve taken tons of notes on where to find things and beacons so they will randomly say to me as I’m driving them to school “I think we can find some lithium if we go to the Dry Land beacon.” Such a blast

Still a bit scary but now that I’ve played the game 4-5 times I’m pretty good at avoiding jump scares or laughing them off.

Released a Cuddlefish by our base and he immediately got attacked by a stalker who had somehow de-tethered from the kelp zone by our base lmao. I did a quick google and confirmed the fish didn’t die but may have been teleported somewhere.

Oh, you want to talk about jump scares and cuddlefish? Well....

Let me tell you about cuddlefish. Cute, meme-worthy, fun to watch in the alien containment.

But if you take one out, and release it ANYWHERE near your base, you'll end up with that bastard popping up INSIDE, all over the place. And since its lighting is based on the lighting outside your base, it'll be floating around, CONSTANTLY IN THE WAY, and it'll look like a black silhouette when playing at night.

Let me tell you, that sight is QUITE disconcerting when you have no idea what it is at first.

And then... And THEN, it keeps getting in the way when you go traveling for ores and poo poo. About to pick up magnetite? NOPE SORRY PLAY WITH ME!

I WISH I could feed it to my ravenous bio reactor.

This is at least what happens on Switch.

Nothing in this game has made me jump nearly as much as rounding a corner in my base, where I've established many hours ago I'm the only occupant, and coming face to face with a free-floating vanta-black octopus in your hallways.

gently caress those things.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Some concerning early Subnautica 2 info:

https://www.krafton.com/wp-content/uploads/2024/02/KRAFTON-4Q23-Earnings-Release_vF_ENG-1.pdf

quote:

Multiplayer sequel to the original IP pursuing fandom snowballing

1. Explore an oceanic world in stunning stylized graphics powered by Unreal Engine 5

2. Single or 1-4 player co-op to uncover the mysteries on a entirely new alien planet

3. Game-as-a-Service model with enhanced replayability

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

quote:

3. Game-as-a-Service model with enhanced replayability

gently caress

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Who's ready for the battlepass with a Legendary cuddlefish outfit?

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

noooo

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

loving hell.

Is John Riccitiello on the board there or something?

:negative:

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Its the company that owns the PUBG IP, what do you expect?

Did I miss them picking up Unknown Worlds at some point? Or is this strictly a publishing thing?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

In an exciting twist on Subnautica’s unique form of underwater gameplay, players will be tasked with competing to be the last person swimming while they extract treasures from procedurally generated alien wrecks!

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Fandom snowballing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Hold tight, don't panic yet.