Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

1. Tetris Effect Connected
2. Alan Wake 2
3. Mega Man
4. Mega Man 2
5. Crash Bandicoot
6. Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back
7. Crash Bandicoot: Warped
8. Crash 4: It's About Time
9. Super Mario Bros Wonder
10. Super Mario RPG
11. Donkey Kong Country
12. Ib
13. Pikmin 4
14. Donkey Kong Country 2
15. Donkey Kong Country 3
16. Donkey Kong Country Returns
17. Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze
18. Super Mario Bros 2
19. Super Mario Bros 3

Can now confirm without a shadow of a doubt: euroshopper is retarded

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Roth posted:

2. Alan Wake 2
3. Mega Man
4. Mega Man 2
5. Crash Bandicoot
10. Super Mario RPG
11. Donkey Kong Country
12. Ib
13. Pikmin 4
18. Super Mario Bros 2
19. Super Mario Bros 3

lmao

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Roth posted:

2. Alan Wake 2
3. Mega Man
4. Mega Man 2
5. Crash Bandicoot
10. Super Mario RPG
11. Donkey Kong Country
12. Ib
13. Pikmin 4
18. Super Mario Bros 2
19. Super Mario Bros 3

Lol

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Roth posted:

2. Alan Wake 2
3. Mega Man
4. Mega Man 2
5. Crash Bandicoot
10. Super Mario RPG
11. Donkey Kong Country
12. Ib
13. Pikmin 4
18. Super Mario Bros 2
19. Super Mario Bros 3

lol

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Roth posted:

2. Alan Wake 2
3. Mega Man
4. Mega Man 2
5. Crash Bandicoot
10. Super Mario RPG
11. Donkey Kong Country
12. Ib
13. Pikmin 4
18. Super Mario Bros 2
19. Super Mario Bros 3

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Roth posted:

2. Alan Wake 2
3. Mega Man
4. Mega Man 2
5. Crash Bandicoot
10. Super Mario RPG
11. Donkey Kong Country
12. Ib
13. Pikmin 4
18. Super Mario Bros 2
19. Super Mario Bros 3

thank you

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

symbolic posted:

thank you

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

2. Alan Wake 2
3. Mega Man
4. Mega Man 2
5. Crash Bandicoot
10. Super Mario RPG
11. Donkey Kong Country
12. Ib
13. Pikmin 4
18. Super Mario Bros 2
19. Super Mario Bros 3
20. Super Mario World

Gonna back for all the exits, way better than 2 euroshopper you loving retard

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Getting a cold and calling in sick ftw

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

5) Final Fantasy Legend

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Roth posted:

Getting a cold and calling in sick ftw

Yeah buddy.

Arch Nemesis
Mar 27, 2007

3) Elden Ring (Age of Stars)

Did pretty much everything; missed a couple NPC questlines and killed dung eater instead of doing his.

Absolutely the best feeling version of Souls combat so far, though I really prefer Sekiro over this style now. The world is great and the bosses are hella cool, but I don't like open world games much and this was no exception. I did eventually learn how to navigate the map and explore effectively, and the way it fits together like a puzzle is inspiring design, but the open world here made me tired where TotK energized me. I'm looking forward to the DLC but the open world and massive length mean I won't revisit this as quickly as I have the Souls games/BB/Sekiro.

Still a 9/10. Ranni 4ever

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Thief 2: The Metal Age

A perfect sequel. Thief 1 is dragged down by a few tedious levels, especially the last two or three where there's more emphasis on combat. Thief 2 has at worst one mission that's kinda boring because it's a tailing mission. There's so much creativity here between the level design, the cutscenes, the little narrative threads that carry over from one mission to the next, etc. You can tell how confident the Looking Glass developers were in this formula once they'd established it in the first game. I did miss some of Thief 1's spooky dungeon crawl missions, but 2 is just better overall. I'm gonna play some other games before I try The Black Parade, but I'm excited to see how that turned out.

MeatwadIsGod fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Jan 31, 2024

Arch Nemesis
Mar 27, 2007

4) Bug Fables: The Everlasting Sapling

really neat paper mario clone, obviously made with a lot of love. not as funny as PM, though it's cute, and I miss being able to switch out a variety of helpers, but the difficulty is really challenging in a good way and there are tons of side quests. remarkable enemy count, music, huge amount of content. good.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
stream catchup

12) bionic commando (nes, all areas clear and items obtained)
it's a tossup between this and punch out for my favorite nes game and yeah it still kicks rear end. needing to equip specific transceivers and not signposting that you can exit the trick boss room in the final level are its only sins

13) metal slug 3 (arcade)
still the best metal slug and i do not care of your counter arguments. that said the second half of the space shooter segment absolutely does not need to be there

14) sonic the hedgehog 2 (genesis, all emeralds as sonic alone)
was very sleepy by the time i got to this and turned in the most dogshit performance of my life. didn't get the 7th emerald til the very last checkpoint in the game. anyway it's still good and i like it but the back half is way weaker than the front half and the special stages suck even when i'm wide awake

15) crazy taxi (dreamcast, s ranked arcade mode with b.d. joe)
this game's just a fuckin good time man. immediately satisfying gameplay and perfect vibe. i really hope sega doesn't try to make the new one some commentary on rideshares and the gig economy or some bullshit and just focuses on making it fun. set it in an alternate universe 2024 where there's still taxis or just make it eternally 2000 or something

16) battle clash (snes)
neat for a super scope game. it's a boss rush thing where you duel a bunch of mechs and all their parts are destructible. it's pretty thin gameplay wise but i hear the sequel is more fleshed out

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Etrian Odyssey HD — swapped out my party a bit here and there but the core team that finished the game and did most of the work along the way was a defender and landsknecht in the front row and a survivalist, medic, and troubadour in the back.

Really fun game, these dungeon-crawlers are one of those genres that I’ve dabbled in and enjoyed but never really buckled down and played one to the end before and I’m glad I finally did. Team building is really satisfying, it was a good feeling to get stomped so hard by the first stratum boss that I nearly just ragequit the game for good thinking that I’d need to grind forever just to stand a chance, but then come back the next day, put together a plan, swap out a party member and respec the medic a bit and then effortlessly wipe the floor with the boss on the rematch. Drawing your map of the dungeon as you go was really satisfying and I loved the shop mechanic where you unlock new gear and items in the store by selling items you get from defeating enemies in the dungeon; the loop of exploring until your pack is full, heading back to town to unload everything at the shop, buying and equipping the new gear you just unlocked, and heading back for more was really addictive. Looking forward to checking out the rest of the series, and the genre in general.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

etrian is epic and it only gets better from 1. enjoy

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

2) Golden Sun
and
3)Golden Sun: The Lost Age.

It's been like a decade or more since I last played these, thought I'd give them a shot on the switch to see how they held up. The first game is... not very good. It's really easy-even the optional 'superboss' isn't very hard, the writing is poor, and while the base underlying systems with Djinn and summons has promise, the game struggles to deliver on that promise. It's short for a jrpg at least, clocking in at like 10-15 hours.

TLA is a pretty substantial step up. The game delivers a lot better on the promises it made in the first game- the optional bosses are actually difficult and challenge your mechanical knowledge of the game, the writing is less bloated and there's a lot more flexibility in class/djinn and summon systems to create interesting parties and strategies. The main story- except for the final boss- still doesn't give much challenge and can be triviallized with summons, but I think that's fine. Overall I enjoyed it a lot more than the first game, and I'd say it's a solid game. Not gonna call it amazing by any means, but I think the fact that it makes good on the promises of the first game definitely is a point in its favour.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

berenzen posted:

2) Golden Sun
and
3)Golden Sun: The Lost Age.

It's been like a decade or more since I last played these, thought I'd give them a shot on the switch to see how they held up. The first game is... not very good. It's really easy-even the optional 'superboss' isn't very hard, the writing is poor, and while the base underlying systems with Djinn and summons has promise, the game struggles to deliver on that promise. It's short for a jrpg at least, clocking in at like 10-15 hours.

TLA is a pretty substantial step up. The game delivers a lot better on the promises it made in the first game- the optional bosses are actually difficult and challenge your mechanical knowledge of the game, the writing is less bloated and there's a lot more flexibility in class/djinn and summon systems to create interesting parties and strategies. The main story- except for the final boss- still doesn't give much challenge and can be triviallized with summons, but I think that's fine. Overall I enjoyed it a lot more than the first game, and I'd say it's a solid game. Not gonna call it amazing by any means, but I think the fact that it makes good on the promises of the first game definitely is a point in its favour.

The two games combine to form one pretty enjoyable experience I still look back fondly on. Too bad Golden Sun DS was DogShit.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
1) Hogwarts Legacy
2) Aliens: Fireteam Elite
3) Styx: Master of Shadows
4) Starfield

Yeah yeah, I know! :D Decided to quickly finish off Starfield, seeing as my new PC doesn't have any framerate issues in urban areas. Followed the main questline, the two UC questlines and a heap of the other non-Freestar stuff. If they improve the game a bit, I might come back for NG+ for a pro-Freestar playthrough, but eh I've had my fill. Far from Bethesda's best game, but overall I have to say I preferred it over Fallout 4, not that that's saying a whole lot!

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

absolutely anything posted:

etrian is epic and it only gets better from 1. enjoy

I’m looking forward to it, I really liked 1 but it definitely felt like the first game in the series, I felt like it could have used at least a few more classes and skill trees and a bit more balancing since some classes feel essential. I’ve got the new 1-3 HD remasters that just came out and picked up 4, 5, and Nexus on the big Atlus sales they’d have on 3DS before the store closed, every year I find at least one older series to get completely obsessed with and it looks like I’ve already found 2024’s

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

That's too much dungeon crawling. By july you'll only be making turns at 90 degree angles

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

In Training posted:

That's too much dungeon crawling. By july you'll only be making turns at 90 degree angles

the way god intended

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

In Training posted:

Walking gently into every wall I see just in case.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

In Training posted:

lol if I played 1 too long I’d start faintly seeing walls scrolling by in the corner of my vision after putting the game down, excited to see what kind of new neuroses I end up getting from this journey

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

EO ftw. If you like that style of game check out Persona Q. Not as good as EO but the first Q game was quite dank

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

1-20: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=4050853&perpage=40&pagenumber=17#post537514857

21. Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island

I think I prefer 3 and World more since they have more straightforward platforming challenges, but this game was really charming still. Overall ranking of the NES/SNES 2D Mario games would be:

World > 3 > Yoshi's Island > 1 > 2

Also for DKC

Tropical Freeze > 2 > 1 > Returns > 3

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

EO ftw. If you like that style of game check out Persona Q. Not as good as EO but the first Q game was quite dank

Sweet, I still need to finish Persona 4 since it keeps getting derailed by other 100-hour RPGs but I did grab a copy of that after finishing 3, glad to hear it’s good

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

personally i thought it to be Mid, wasnt into the dungeons and the gameplay just kind of felt like a weak persona and weak etrian mushed together, but i wouldnt say to outright avoid it or anything

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

absolutely anything posted:

personally i thought it to be Mid, wasnt into the dungeons and the gameplay just kind of felt like a weak persona and weak etrian mushed together, but i wouldnt say to outright avoid it or anything

Yeah it felt kinda half baked but good enough for a playthru. I actually really liked the character interactions and it was pretty funny in spots too. Plus you can make Aigis an unkillable tank which is Lore accurate

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

@chuck

which one. there is a correct answer.

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

Roth posted:

1-20: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=4050853&perpage=40&pagenumber=17#post537514857

21. Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island

I think I prefer 3 and World more since they have more straightforward platforming challenges, but this game was really charming still. Overall ranking of the NES/SNES 2D Mario games would be:

World > 3 > Yoshi's Island > 1 > 2

Also for DKC

Tropical Freeze > 2 > 1 > Returns > 3

correct rankings. good

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Plus you can make Aigis an unkillable tank which is Lore accurate

Hell yes

Fungah! posted:

@chuck

which one. there is a correct answer.