Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I use an HP reverb 2 and it's never made me sweaty. It doesn't even feel warm on the face, when I take it off the body of the thing is warm but not the part that rests against you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
VR is for perverts and tuggers

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Is that a bad thing?

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Vando posted:

Counterpoint: driving more than an hour in VR just becomes... sweaty

been using a 3d print thing for the Q3 and I am freed from such human concerns

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

Kvlt! posted:

do you have the temperature set to like 130f for full nascar sim

What the gently caress do you think? Happy for you if you can sit in VR for hours and be happy but I can’t and I’ve tried.

necrotic fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Jan 18, 2024

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

necrotic posted:

What the gently caress do you think? Happy for you if you can sit in VR for hours and be happy but I can’t and I’ve tried.

That may have been a joke, friend

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

No joking on the dead comedy forum please.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Definitely not in the fake racecar thread.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Only one way to settle this. Clios at dawn.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

VelociBacon posted:

HARs imo.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

VelociBacon posted:

I'm down which sim.. or do we get to argue that for awhile

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

Beve Stuscemi posted:

That may have been a joke, friend

Yeah I definitely over-reacted. I was having a bad day and probably shouldn't have been posting, but that's no excuse for lashing out. Sorry, dude!

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

necrotic posted:

Yeah I definitely over-reacted. I was having a bad day and probably shouldn't have been posting, but that's no excuse for lashing out. Sorry, dude!

we all have bad days youre good! i was just joking, I cant use VR at all it makes me motion sick lol

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

VelociBacon posted:

We settle this like real goons. 5-wide skippies at Iowa

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005
Simagic P1000 hydraulic upgrade kit trip report: Kicks rear end.

Not only does the brake pedal feel more like a real car now, it's also easier to swap the elastomers.

That, coupled with the new elastomers that comes with the hydraulic upgrade kit, means you can have enough to customize the brake pedal feel for whatever style of car you are driving, and can swap them out in maybe like 20 seconds.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Messing around with old F1 cars in AC and realized Id never tried to race with an H pattern transmission, so I gave it a shot and have a question:

Say im in 4th gear entering the breaking zone, and want to exit in 2nd gear, should I brake, go to 3, then go to 2? Or just go straight to 2 after braking?

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Kvlt! posted:

Messing around with old F1 cars in AC and realized Id never tried to race with an H pattern transmission, so I gave it a shot and have a question:

Say im in 4th gear entering the breaking zone, and want to exit in 2nd gear, should I brake, go to 3, then go to 2? Or just go straight to 2 after braking?

I'd personally just go straight to second in that scenario. If it's a big braking event, like Monza chicanes I'd probably go through the gears to maximise engine braking.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

I was trying to find a quote about how old timey European racers thought it was unsportsman like to skip gears because Americans always did it.

Really though, if you want to skip gears you can but you need to be careful about when you put it into that gear. To keep it from redlining too hard or from being way below the power band.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
There's a group of people in iRacing that have sworn to use the H pattern in the Formula Ford 2000 and post replays of their races with at least one block shift in them to prove it, since using the h-pattern is a disadvantage.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

There's a group of people in iRacing that have sworn to use the H pattern in the Formula Ford 2000 and post replays of their races with at least one block shift in them to prove it, since using the h-pattern is a disadvantage.

Wait what FF2000? The USF?

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

The Ray FF1600 is a formula ford according to the Ray website. The car info page in iracing doesn't specifically call it a formula ford, but the car uses the Ford Kent 1.6l.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Kvlt! posted:

do you have the temperature set to like 130f for full nascar sim

My friend has gone insane going down the rabbit hole of ridiculous motion platforms to try to create "the most realistic experience possible." I told him that if he wants realism to forget the motion platform - the most important piece of equipment is a space heater directly under the seat.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

Vando posted:

Wait what FF2000? The USF?

Derp, yeah the 1600

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

KillHour posted:

My friend has gone insane going down the rabbit hole of ridiculous motion platforms to try to create "the most realistic experience possible." I told him that if he wants realism to forget the motion platform - the most important piece of equipment is a space heater directly under the seat.

get him one of those neck-weight-pulley systems F1 drivers train on and have him sip only on hot gatorade

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Gotta say AMS2 is pretty enjoyable, performs great in VR, pretty and I can do historical F1 races I've watched or even been to. Just recreated the 2006 Formula 1 Grand Prix du Canada using a couple mods and the historical track. Schumacher won. (Alonso won IRL). I placed 3rd for McLaren. Was very fun, the AI is pretty good and it's beautiful - although I set the weather up and it was June and sunny so...I still prefer ACC for GT3 and LFM for competitive stuff with AC/ACC but this scratches the single player VR race game very nicely so ty thread.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

KillHour posted:

At that kind of spend surely "the most realistic experience possible" is to buy a knackered miata and hit the track?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Theophany posted:

At that kind of spend surely "the most realistic experience possible" is to buy a knackered miata and hit the track?

I unironically recommended that and he says he'd rather have something he can hop in whenever he wants. It probably doesn't help that the closest track is like 3 hours away.

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

I half-jokingly considered using my arduino and simhub to power heating coils with vials of antifreeze and motor oil so you can smell the car overheat. Could probably do rubber for tire spin, too. Not sure how you could simulate the distinct smell of burnt clutch, though.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

TremorX posted:

I half-jokingly considered using my arduino and simhub to power heating coils with vials of antifreeze and motor oil so you can smell the car overheat. Could probably do rubber for tire spin, too. Not sure how you could simulate the distinct smell of burnt clutch, though.

Use a little gas firepit filled with Sharpie pens for the clutch/brakes

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

I finally got the next level racing seat extension for my wheel stand - ordered in early Nov. just arrived (https://nextlevelracing.com/products/gt-seat-add-on/) - basically makes the wheel stand into a fixed rig, and man does that make a difference. I struggled with my brake set at 45kg with the wheel stand, now set to 70kg and feels awesome and easy to threshold or mash 100%. Add-in Zenni prescription lenses for my Quest 3 which arrived today and I'm having so much fun. Also thanks to thread for AMS2 - AC/ACC LFM has all my sweaty multi-needs sorted and AMS2 is so good in VR and solo AI racing I'm in heaven. Spoiled for choice is a nice condition to find yourself in. e; (I do have to say the omission of MX-5 cup cars for FWD Minis in AMS2 is a travesty. I need my M Cup cars in every sim plz and ty but also the mini challenge is a lot of fun).

squirrelzipper fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Jan 27, 2024

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

squirrelzipper posted:

I finally got the next level racing seat extension for my wheel stand - ordered in early Nov. just arrived (https://nextlevelracing.com/products/gt-seat-add-on/) - basically makes the wheel stand into a fixed rig, and man does that make a difference. I struggled with my brake set at 45kg with the wheel stand, now set to 70kg and feels awesome and easy to threshold or mash 100%. Add-in Zenni prescription lenses for my Quest 3 which arrived today and I'm having so much fun. Also thanks to thread for AMS2 - AC/ACC LFM has all my sweaty multi-needs sorted and AMS2 is so good in VR and solo AI racing I'm in heaven. Spoiled for choice is a nice condition to find yourself in. e; (I do have to say the omission of MX-5 cup cars for FWD Minis in AMS2 is a travesty. I need my M Cup cars in every sim plz and ty but also the mini challenge is a lot of fun).

You know which universally appraised product does have miatas?

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Gran Turismo?

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

Bentai posted:

Gran Turismo?

The most realistic sim out there

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

AMS2 is so good in VR it's causing me issues. I can't race in ACC anymore - and I thought I had it looking awesome but it's just a jittery nasty mess compared to AMS2. But AMS2 doesn't have multiplayer. And I can't use a flat screen anymore. So I redeemed my iRacing coupon so see how it looks in VR - and it's about the same as AC - which is a compliment, looks good (not AMS2 good but) and is performant. Goddamn that's the only way to have good online VR GT3 races isn't it?

e; also rallycross in VR is dirty fun.

squirrelzipper fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Jan 31, 2024

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

What's the participation like in ACC vs iRacing?

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

VelociBacon posted:

What's the participation like in ACC vs iRacing?

I'm not sure probably a lot lower - but the LFM/ACC community is pretty active and the splits are pretty full, particularly since it's only one class so the base isn't split across various series. But no idea tbh - I'd guess iRacing is much larger. Looking at SteamDB the peak in the last 24 hours was 6,154 players and not all of them would be on LFM obviously. LFM reports 140k users, 160 racing right now (10:30 PM PST).

e; which does highlight another issue, ACC is very popular in EU, less so in the Americas so being in PST is sometimes a bit quiet.

squirrelzipper fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Jan 31, 2024

Diplomat
Dec 14, 2009

I would wager that the active Steam population for iRacing is the minority of active users. I don't have the client installed on my current PC to check how many people are online however.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Diplomat posted:

I would wager that the active Steam population for iRacing is the minority of active users. I don't have the client installed on my current PC to check how many people are online however.

Don't think they were counting the iRacing numbers from Steam, just the ACC ones. But for comparison right now in just past Euro prime time there are 11k online (also you don't need the client installed to check that anymore, if you have an active sub it's all been ported to browser: https://members-ng.iracing.com/home/dashboard)

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Vando posted:

Don't think they were counting the iRacing numbers from Steam, just the ACC ones. But for comparison right now in just past Euro prime time there are 11k online (also you don't need the client installed to check that anymore, if you have an active sub it's all been ported to browser: https://members-ng.iracing.com/home/dashboard)

Yeah that was just ACC from SteamDB.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Turtle Beach is saying 7.2 N-m. Puts it directly price competitive with the Fanatec 8 N-m ready2race bundle with a load cell brake kit. I know which one I'd rather have, but the thing being available at Best Buy and coming with that fun little button box and screen is gonna swoop up some customers if they've managed to build it decently.