Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
https://i.imgur.com/nBlgNvL.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Get the gently caress out of the way!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

haveblue posted:

My favorite part is how this is the second time a Delaware court has cost Musk tens of billions of dollars

In fact, this ruling plus the twitter ruling means Delaware has (indirectly) cost Musk $100 billion dollars.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
How bad are you at business where Delaware fucks you over as a ceo? Twice?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Technically this is the first time he’s been hosed over by them as a CEO.

The CEO of Twitter was on the other side of the last suit.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Elfface posted:

"But in a tweet late Tuesday afternoon, Musk wrote, “Never incorporate your company in the state of Delaware.”"

Isn't that what Delaware is FOR?

I'm not an American, so I admit I don't quite get the joke- is Delaware exceptionally business-friendly or something?

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Me either, but yes. Pretty much every big American company is technically based out of Delaware (Has a PO Box there) for reasons. I forget if they're tax reasons or rights or what.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
lol if your company isn’t based at 1209 North Orange Street in Wilmington

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

CommissarMega posted:

I'm not an American, so I admit I don't quite get the joke- is Delaware exceptionally business-friendly or something?

Yes. It's basically all they've got. https://www.sacattorneys.com/best-state-to-incorporate-delaware-or-california.html

quote:

Delaware has been the unanimous preferred state of incorporation by investors. The Delaware General Corporation Law (DGCL), which governs disputes brought against businesses, is pro-business, modern, and flexible. The favorable treatment that businesses have garnered in Delaware has established its reputation. Delaware courts and judges have historically offered the best protection for board members against shareholder lawsuits and limited protection against hostile takeovers. California, on the other hand, has more protection for minority shareholders and more unpredictable court decisions. These laws make Delaware much more favorable to larger companies and bigger investors. For companies seeking venture financing, incorporating in Delaware is recommended, as most venture capitalists will only choose to invest in a Delaware C Corporation.

In addition, Delaware courts are well-established in business law. Delaware's Chancery Court, one of the leading business law courts, hears only Delaware business entity cases, and their judges specialize in business law. Delaware's Secretary of State's office is efficient and easy to navigate. Throughout the years, Delaware has developed a more robust canon of case law regarding corporate issues, and therefore, more predictable legal outcomes. Documents for transactions are more readily available and familiar to investors and their counsel. Likewise, VC partners are more familiar with director liability under Delaware law.

Gomez Chamberlain
Mar 22, 2005

Subakh ul kuhar!

CommissarMega posted:

It's a tiny state in the north east where it is very cheap to incorporate, so a lot of corporations are nominally based there. They are particularly friendly to big corporate interests so yeah it's pretty funny that even they're like, "nah"

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
https://i.imgur.com/egZlwrV.mp4

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I also not american and I dont know anything about sock market or corporations or anything related so the schad is on me because I dont even understand what a "pay compensation package"is , or why tesla has to pay Musk that or why the justice got involved

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

neat

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Elias_Maluco posted:

I also not american and I dont know anything about sock market or corporations or anything related so the schad is on me because I dont even understand what a "pay compensation package"is , or why tesla has to pay Musk that or why the justice got involved

I heavily invest in the sock market. At least, I assume that's where my odd socks are ending up.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
cotton socks are down and bamboo socks are up

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat

Elias_Maluco posted:

the world is build on lies

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011

Non Compos Mentis posted:

cotton socks are down and bamboo socks are up

Portfolio theory says you should just buy one of every kind of sock.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Alright, more schad because I cant spell

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Elias_Maluco posted:

Musk is (nominally, it's unclear how much work he does) the CEO of Tesla. Companies tend to pay their executives.

This lawsuit was about a Tesla shareholder saying "hey, you're paying the CEO way too much compared to what he actually does, you should be giving that money to shareholders (like me) instead".

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Jabor posted:

Musk is (nominally, it's unclear how much work he does) the CEO of Tesla. Companies tend to pay their executives.

This lawsuit was about a Tesla shareholder saying "hey, you're paying the CEO way too much compared to what he actually does, you should be giving that money to shareholders (like me) instead".

Thank you

edit: now what I dont understand is why he needed a loan to buy twitter when his salary is 56 billion
edit 2: in my defense: I knew CEOs get paid, of course, I didint know it was called "compensation package" and while I do know CEOs get a lot of money, 56 billion seems unreal for a paycheck to me

Elias_Maluco has a new favorite as of 16:10 on Jan 31, 2024

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

Elias_Maluco posted:

Thank you

edit: now what I dont understand is why he needed a loan to buy twitter when his salary is 56 billion

he does not get 56 billion, that is exactly what the judge said does not happen.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Elias_Maluco posted:

Thank you

He didn’t but why spend your own money when the banks/other idiots will gladly give you theirs?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

NoiseAnnoys posted:

he does not get 56 billion, that is exactly what the judge said does not happen.

I know but he did got something like that last year too, no?

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I hope the iguana got that sandwich.

karoshi
Nov 4, 2008

"Can somebody mspaint eyes on the steaming packages? TIA" yeah well fuck you too buddy, this is the best you're gonna get. Is this even "work-safe"? Let's find out!

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I hope the iguana got that sandwich.

Iguana hope so, too.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

CommissarMega posted:

Although it's not explicitly stated, the movie version of Fight Club is set in Wilmington, Delaware. Tyler's plan to destroy all the credit card debt is only feasible if all the credit card companies and corporate institutions are in one place, and that place is Delaware.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Mr. Nice! posted:

He didn’t but why spend your own money when the banks/other idiots will gladly give you theirs?

I mean, the biggest chunk of the investment package came from the Saudis and look at that, now a bunch of Enemies Of The State aren't on twitter as much telling people about their brutality. Or now the saudis are getting thousands of names from them, for reasons.

The point was never to make twitter profitable.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

CainFortea posted:

I mean, the biggest chunk of the investment package came from the Saudis and look at that, now a bunch of Enemies Of The State aren't on twitter as much telling people about their brutality. Or now the saudis are getting thousands of names from them, for reasons.

The point was never to make twitter profitable.

Well, $13bn came from the banks who were trying to turn a profit. You're right that the private investors only cared for personal reasons. Musk, for example, wanted an excuse to ban @elonjet.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
A second sock is falling in my shoe :smith:

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Nenonen posted:

Sounds like a hair raising situation! :dadjoke:

She just clipped it.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYFRfqi44go

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Mr. Nice! posted:

Well, $13bn came from the banks who were trying to turn a profit. You're right that the private investors only cared for personal reasons. Musk, for example, wanted an excuse to ban @elonjet.

Genuinely he only bought it because he didn't realize his 420 joke about buying all Twitter stock for significantly more than the actual value of the stock was legally binding.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Baron von Eevl posted:

Genuinely he only bought it because he didn't realize his 420 joke about buying all Twitter stock for significantly more than the actual value of the stock was legally binding.

which is funny, because that exact same joke but about taking Tesla private got him into legal trouble before!

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001
For those wondering what it's about: In a corporation, the shareholders vote for the board of directors. Ol' Musky, having the most shares, gets to pack the board with his friends, then as CEO he gets to negotiate with them to determine his pay. So the deck is stacked in his favor. This is not great for the other shareholders for whom their share of profit is reduced due to the pay going to the CEO. So they've sued saying that the board shouldn't be paying him so much to the detriment of their own shares.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Baron von Eevl posted:

He probably grasped, like all things he wants, that it wasn't legal to do but he couldn't fathom those things being applied to him. What is the buisiness model of high priced lawyers & lobbyists if not Premium Freedomtm?

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

CommissarMega posted:

Every US state has different laws, and the law that applies to some corporate stuff will depend on the state it was formally in. For an EU equivalent, it's like how you have different corporate law if you are a German company than a French company, even though you can still do business in both places.

In the US, the vast majority of corporations will be incorporated in Delaware. The main reason is for legal predictability. Since most corporations have historically been in that jurisdiction, there's detailed precedents for most situations that could come up and a extensive court system that'd good at those kinds of cases. You have a much better chance of predicting how a trial would go without actually doing the actual trial, so everybody understands their risks better

A bit of it is from being pro business in business vs public cases, but those can also usually be brought in the person's home state. Most of the cases where Delaware law is more settled and predictable are things like management vs shareholders, CEO vs Board of Executives, corporation vs bank/bondholders, or corporation vs corporation contract disputes where there isn't a single clear "pro-business" side

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
AFAIK the reason Delaware is such a business friendly state is that they're very small in terms of both land area and population and DuPont has been based out of there for a very long time. The most powerful and influential entity in the state by a very wide margin has historically been a single company. That's not the case anymore, they employ fewer than 10,000 people in Delaware now, but historically Delaware was like a company town but an entire state.

cult_hero posted:

For those wondering what it's about : In a corporation, the shareholders vote for the board of directors. Ol' Musky, having the most shares, gets to pack the board with his friends, then as CEO he gets to negotiate with them to determine his pay. So the deck is stacked in his favor. This is not great for the other shareholders for whom their share of profit is reduced due to the pay going to the CEO. So they've sued saying that the board shouldn't be paying him so much to the detriment of their own shares.

One of those buddies is literally his divorce lawyer.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
https://i.imgur.com/IaLIPI9.mp4
https://i.imgur.com/6yWAivk.mp4
https://i.imgur.com/aBYH2tc.mp4
https://i.imgur.com/qgE3jBJ.mp4

Rasmus
Jul 13, 2016

I wish I was brian Blessed
The ludicrous amount of money that gets thrown at CEO bonuses is one thing (anyone that gets a bonus of 1mil better poo poo gold by my book), but there is supposed to be a performance aspect to it that seems to always get yeeted into space. Hasn't Elon loving up Testla's stock with his twitter escapades and become a hindrance in innovation which has allowed a lot of competition to catch up?

Then you have poo poo like Bobby Kotick getting a 400 mil golden parachute after presiding over a scandal and sexual harassment-filled tenure at Blizzard. gently caress the corpos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Rasmus posted:

The ludicrous amount of money that gets thrown at CEO bonuses is one thing (anyone that gets a bonus of 1mil better poo poo gold by my book), but there is supposed to be a performance aspect to it that seems to always get yeeted into space. Hasn't Elon loving up Testla's stock with his twitter escapades and become a hindrance in innovation which has allowed a lot of competition to catch up?

Then you have poo poo like Bobby Kotick getting a 400 mil golden parachute after presiding over a scandal and sexual harassment-filled tenure at Blizzard. gently caress the corpos.

he's trying to rugpull. elon is a scammer.