Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Soulmask is a survival game releasing this year that has a big free demo out for steam next fest and I do not recommend it at all. The terrible character handling, lack of content, and general grindiness you might have come to expect from survivalcraft asset flips combined with what is absolutely the worst crafting UI I have ever experienced anywhere. And you have to use it for everything- it has building components crafted in inventory like it's 2013, absolutely insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Umbreon
May 21, 2011
Lack of content on a demo?

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

I actually posted a link to it a few pages ago (before trying it) and forgot to come back to update my experience.
Pretty poor to say the least. Half baked would be generous even for a demo of, I assume, en early access.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Guess it’s a scam!

MarcusSA fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jan 31, 2024

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
That second account is a scam account, it’s not official.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Mzbundifund posted:

Yeah that’s what people are saying it looked drat legit

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
I guess with this announcement the bullrun has officially begun?

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Mzbundifund posted:

It has the $1000 gold checkmark, I'm pretty sure it's official.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Oh apparently they let gold checkmark crypto accounts just change their @ to impersonate other businesses. Good going, twitter.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

30.5 Days posted:

It's not.

https://twitter.com/Bucky_cm/status/1751456399023047097?s=20

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

30.5 Days posted:

Look closely at the spelling of the account name. There's no s in Palworld.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
The checkmark means nothing ever since Elon took over. Anyone can ‘buy’ it, even scammer, and they have been doing it non-stop.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah that’s what people are saying it looked drat legit

You can tell it is fake by the fact that it is a _JP account posting in English.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

VictualSquid posted:

You can tell it is fake by the fact that it is a _JP account posting in English.

It was like triple annoying because it was literally the first comment after the post.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Why are you reading the comments?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Mr Hootington posted:

Why are you reading the comments?

When you click the tweet it shows up right at the top :shrug:

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Seems like a skill issue here. Might want to train yourself on this or u will be scammed in future. 👍

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Maybe want to edit, like, all the posts you made with that fake post in it so people don't share it before they keep reading the thread like I almost did.

Edit: For some content, I played Abiotic Factor a bit and game's pretty fun but it's weird that the stuff in the environment like calculators and whatnot have to respawn to support a foraging survival game set inside a facility like that. Wishlisted for sure.

explosivo fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jan 31, 2024

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

30.5 Days posted:

Oh apparently they let gold checkmark crypto accounts just change their @ to impersonate other businesses. Good going, twitter.

Either way it's just $1000, with 18m players so far it doesn't take all that much scamming to turn a profit

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
The thousand dollars is supposed to be funding an actual verification process though.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Welcome to Elon Musk's version of twitter

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

The Locator posted:

Darkness falls is awesome and what I've been playing for some time now. I'd suggest checking out the @GunsNerdsandSteel channel on YouTube, he has two "New York City" series where he plays DF. The older one will be on an earlier version of 7 days, but it still gives a solid feel for playing the mod.

It definitely overhauls the gameplay a lot, and the game is a lot tougher, especially horde nights, which don't time out, they run the entire night.

Neeb Gaming has a very long Darkness Falls series and they even have Khaine, the developer, on quite a bit. There's some quality of life stuff in DF I really like, and the new stuff to craft is really neat, but holy poo poo does the difficulty ramp up quickly and enemies are brutal. Also if you break a quest sequence, like meet one of the later traders too early, it bugs out and you can never actually meet them.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

explosivo posted:

Edit: For some content, I played Abiotic Factor a bit and game's pretty fun but it's weird that the stuff in the environment like calculators and whatnot have to respawn to support a foraging survival game set inside a facility like that. Wishlisted for sure.
As I understand it, none of that stuff respawns (except for some tech before the first powered door, just to be sure the players don't softlock themselves). But if you ever somehow exhaust everything in the facility and still need more over time, you can go through the xen portals which do have respawning contents, at the expense of higher danger and radiation.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
Anyone played "survive the nights"?

Looks like it's been. In EA since 2017, very good reviews, still being developed and not just been dumped.

Caught a YouTube video earlier by accident and I looks like a cross between 7 days to die and sons of the forest.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

I'm genuinely surprised that given Tears of The Kingdom's popularity, we haven't seen a survival game that copies the Sky/Surface/Depths map layers thing. Even Craftopia, which its entire thing is "BoTW but survival crafting", hasn't done it.

I think it'd work pretty well for survival too if some of the loops were copied. You've got the surface for your standard gameplay. Then you have the sky islands which are relatively safer, but harder to navigate, and lastly the underground is more dangerous but full of rare resources. Some resources found only in the sky make exploring the depths safer, and resources gathered in the depths make traversing the sky and surface easier.

The only thing I can think of that really comes close is Minecraft's overworld/nether/end split, and those are more seperate dimensions than layers of the same map, and you don't really feel a need to keep swapping back and forth between them.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

There's a server test thing going on for Nightingale atm. Supposedly it's open to all, but discord contradicts that so idk, either way it's for another 5 hours at time of this post

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1928980/Nightingale/

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

YerDa Zabam posted:

There's a server test thing going on for Nightingale atm. Supposedly it's open to all, but discord contradicts that so idk, either way it's for another 5 hours at time of this post

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1928980/Nightingale/

Poked around in it for a bit. Seems very unfinished (which it is, I guess) but it could be interesting. Got caught in a hailstorm that almost killed me, which was pretty neat. Found out later that I had an umbrella in my inventory, which might have helped.

I did enjoy that you choose the difficulty based on how prepared your character was to go to the Fae realm. Easy was fully prepared, with backpack, supplies and tools while Very Difficult was getting pulled in while asleep, so you had nothing and was dressed in pajamas.

Will keep an eye on it. Hopefully the early access launch is more polished.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Might be asking too much here but can someone explain the appeal/gameplay loop of games like Spintires and Snowrunner? It looks like something I'd like to play but I'm hesitant.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee

ravenkult posted:

Might be asking too much here but can someone explain the appeal/gameplay loop of games like Spintires and Snowrunner? It looks like something I'd like to play but I'm hesitant.

There’s probably some crossover, but I think you’d have better luck asking the Snowrunner thread. It’s not super active, but it’s been recently reinvigorated.

Edit: PS, if Icarus had trucks like in that expeditions trailer for Mudrunner, it’d be my top survival game despite the flaws.

LordSloth fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Feb 4, 2024

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

ravenkult posted:

When you start out you have a big uncharted map that you need to reveal by driving a smaller scout truck to watchtowers spread around the map. This reveals jobs/missions around that usually amount to finding resources somewhere on the map (or connecting maps) and driving it somewhere else with bigger trucks and delivering it. These missions can be rebuilding a bridge that gives you access to another area, recovering a broken down truck that you then get to keep, repairing garages that you can access among others. Throughout completing a map you're usually building up some big central project, the DLC's especially went into this where you're for instance helping to build a rocket launch pad or rebuilding houses in flooded areas. You also unlock new trucks and parts that make it easier to traverse especially difficult terrain that probably used to give you problems which is very satisfying. It's got excellent mud deformation and physics although not entirely realistic so you'll need to use AWD/Diff Locks to get around the real bad stuff.

Snowrunner is the more gamified version they've done because Spintires/Mudtires were more or less sandboxes, but Snowrunner added all these mission types and rewards for completing them to give you a reason to want to progress which helped me stay into the game far longer than I did any of the previous games.

tldr it's a bit Euro Truck Simulator chill podcast game, a bit of bennett foddy style frustrating bullshit, with a satisfying upgrade ramp. The idea of driving (sometimes very slowly) trucks through mud for hours on end has to appeal to you though because that's pretty much the whole game.

Edit: ^^ yeah i would also flip through the thread and read some posts and see if it's something that might appeal to you. It is also on gamepass btw if you do have that and want to try it for a bit to see if you like it.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

ravenkult posted:

Snowrunner is a perfect game to zone out to and chill/listen to podcasts while also providing a steady drip of a sense of accomplishment. You are dropped into an area devastaded by some kind of natural disaster, and you slowly repair the infrastructure and unlock easier routes by delivering resources, and then suddenly you have 100hrs logged on Steam and realize that there's like 5x more official maps that you haven't even touched.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

LordSloth posted:

There’s probably some crossover, but I think you’d have better luck asking the Snowrunner thread. It’s not super active, but it’s been recently reinvigorated.

Edit: PS, if Icarus had trucks like in that expeditions trailer for Mudrunner, it’d be my top survival game despite the flaws.

They have vehicles in the game files for Icarus. It was discovered on launch and Devs have said it will happen but it's a long way off.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee

Ragnar Gunvald posted:

They have vehicles in the game files for Icarus. It was discovered on launch and Devs have said it will happen but it's a long way off.

Sorry, but I’m pretty sure nobody but the mudrunner team are going to make a game where you can winch your truck up the side of a mountain.

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all

Winklebottom posted:

Poked around in it for a bit. Seems very unfinished (which it is, I guess) but it could be interesting. Got caught in a hailstorm that almost killed me, which was pretty neat. Found out later that I had an umbrella in my inventory, which might have helped.

I did enjoy that you choose the difficulty based on how prepared your character was to go to the Fae realm. Easy was fully prepared, with backpack, supplies and tools while Very Difficult was getting pulled in while asleep, so you had nothing and was dressed in pajamas.

Will keep an eye on it. Hopefully the early access launch is more polished.

i'm doubting there will be much immediate change since EA drops end of this month. several chunks felt wrong with the game and felt pretty unpolished. too many words i wrote down for anyone interested:
  • character creation optionally involves making your parents/grandparents and then you can use a square graph slider to morph your characters face based on your relatives which is funny
  • bad teeth sliders for fake teeth, material, decay, crookedness
  • weapons range from your standard axe/hammer/knife to pistols, rifles, a slingshot crossbow. melee and ranged headshots seemed to count but it seemed unreliable
  • weapons have abilities and magic. buff yourself, shoot bees. bigger weapons block, the knife has a dodge
  • first person melee animations felt mostly correct, this is easy as hell to mess up. doesn't help that it mostly felt like swinging crazy as the enemy AI just runs straight at you without much weight to anything. this makes the combat feel sloppy despite the game having weighty combat options like blocking and dodging
  • the first boss animations didn't really exist so there was not much to interact with other than running in a circle shooting. also you can get somewhat stunlocked by their singular attack spamming which is nice
  • no notable set of POIs in the starting realm, everything I saw was mostly the same three or four buildings copy pasted around. end of starter zone in the test is a big building that is mostly just a winding staircase and two fight areas. for an exploration focused survival that's a bad sign
  • weather effects; only one i saw was the aforementioned hailstorm which hurts you if you are outside without an umbrella. it happened almost immediately which i felt was there to showcase it and then it and other weather never happened
  • three slot food system with hp/stamina effects similar to valheim
  • walking around and getting (gently) mobbed by a single file line of boars or wolves 5 seconds apart from each other
  • crafting placeables use an aura add-on system like valheim. you queue up crafts on them and they run until you come back to pick them up
  • building was not as detailed as valheim despite the obvious inspiration. hopefully gets built upon :downsrim:
  • past the starter zone further realms (everything is island) are unlocked using Realm Cards you unlock from bosses (seems this way), craft at home, and combining the cards to create new worlds to explore. the cards can apply modifiers that let you change the traits of the areas.
  • multiplayer UI was confusing/bad/non existent. game is setup with drop-in play with some hoop jumping. needs work for a co-op focused game
  • graphics optimization was Not Good. Game looks and runs ok if you swap out TSR which was not working as expected on a 3070/3080. if you are on an older rig I don't think it will run good as the game is now

all that being said, it does have some ideas with the realms that i've not seen done in the space in the same way for a survival game. closest i can guess is very light shades of both icarus and don't starve in there. hope it cleans up and is a solid game. considering the blizzard game got canned this is probably the biggest budget survival we'll see for some time

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

ravenkult posted:

It's a game I never thought I'd get into but it's one of my all time favorites now. It's so good and has a huge amount of content.

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015

RandomBlue posted:

It's a game I never thought I'd get into but it's one of my all time favorites now. It's so good and has a huge amount of content.

This made me look into (snowrunner) and it's 50% off so I picked it up, but it also has a metric fuckload of dlc, most rated mixed. Quick rundown on DLC worth? Like is there one or two that's really worth it to start with, or just pick them up piecemeal over time? Any to specifically avoid?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Jawnycat posted:

This made me look into (snowrunner) and it's 50% off so I picked it up, but it also has a metric fuckload of dlc, most rated mixed. Quick rundown on DLC worth? Like is there one or two that's really worth it to start with, or just pick them up piecemeal over time? Any to specifically avoid?

Yeah I'd be interested in this information as well if anyone has time to write something up.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Jawnycat posted:

Best to ask that in the Snowrunner thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3922783

But none of the vehicle DLC is necessary, only if you want those specific trucks because you're a huge truck nerd or something. The seasonal poo poo with maps is worth it. The core game comes with a huge amount of content though IIRC. Easily like 60+ hours for me on the base maps and I haven't finished all of them.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
All of the Season DLCs are worth it, each of them contains a whole new region full of missions between 2-4 maps and often some new trucks. They have varying levels of difficulty so you might check the Snowrunner thread for specific recommendations, but if you vibe with the base game you'll probably get all of them eventually. One exception is Season 7 which is universally recognized as dogshit - they tried to make it racing-themed and it was a massive miss. The truck DLCs you should only get if you really really want the specific truck, the base game + seasons have a shitton already. And better to finish the base regions first at least before buying DLC trucks because they most likely will trivialise the early game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
The only bad part about Snowrunner is you can't die so it's not a survival game.