Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
E: wrong thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miching Mallecho
May 24, 2010

:yeshaha:
E:Wrong thread, sorry.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Are there any other wrestling companies that run through YouTube memberships the way TNA does? I'm not expecting $1 memberships for them but you'd think it'd be more common.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

Are there any other wrestling companies that run through YouTube memberships the way TNA does? I'm not expecting $1 memberships for them but you'd think it'd be more common.

CMLL just launched one. It's pricier, kind of out of balance with American streaming services but nothing CMLL does makes sense to Americans.

https://twitter.com/luchablog/status/1751395958271672681

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Ice Ribbon charges ¥1190 a month for their full shows on youtube, which was a bit too expensive for my tastes when already subscribed to three streaming services

keithy george
Jan 8, 2008

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Roman probably work-rate wise and conditioning is a better worker than Rock in his Prime but he has nowhere near the in ring charisma the Rock had in his prime
Rock did a good iron man match for his size, and I don't remember him struggling to lift anyone. Rock was limited but I thought he always did what he did well, except the sharpshooter.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
what does SLOM stand for

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

graph posted:

what does SLOM stand for

poo poo load of money

neoaxd
Nov 13, 2004

graph posted:

what does SLOM stand for

Silly little old man

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Hey, wasn't there a Von Waggoner?

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Still is, he wrestled tonight.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
He did? That’s nice.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

he's my favourite. The way he *clenches fist* wagons those vons.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Wrestling question that doesn't deserve it's own thread: What's the earliest documented instance of the "four syllables" *clap clap clapclapclap* chant and what was it

e: in wrestling specifically. Think 'lets go team name' is a very old one in American sports in general isn't it

the sex ghost fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Jan 31, 2024

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I remember it first being a big thing in ECW (usually for "He's a insert slur here" chants) though I'm sure there was something earlier than that

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

UN-DER-TAK-ER clap clap clapclapclap

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I hope it was “you still got it” the first time Terry Funk un-retired in the 80s

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:
This is Awesome chants started the first time Miz appeared on screen. (Source: Me).

I found this though:

Gabe Sapolsky (former ROH booker) says that the chant started during a CM Punk vs. Bryan Danielson match in FIP (Florida indy and former ROH sister promotion, which Sapolsky also booked). There's obviously no way of knowing if that was really the first time the chant occurred, but Gabe would have heard it when it showed up in ROH, and it almost certainly showed up in ROH before TNA (to the best of my recollection, all the Styles/Daniels/Samoa Joe fans brought it over), so if Gabe says it started in FIP in early 2005, I'm inclined to agree.

Also, one of the earlier recorded holy poo poo chants though probably happened organically a ton since the start of live theatre (and holy sht!!! what spot 12:15 in - Mike Awesome vs Tanaka, but watch the whole loving thing)

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x50s8r

who knew having Bangers in tiny buildings filled to the brim with drunk loud obnoxious rear end in a top hat marks could create such an atmosphere

Hirez fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jan 31, 2024

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

DeathChicken posted:

I remember it first being a big thing in ECW (usually for "He's a insert slur here" chants) though I'm sure there was something earlier than that

That or something really misogynistic.

As fun as ECW was before things started to fall apart, good lord, the crowds loving sucked. I really wish the rose-tinted "ECW fans were the best!" hagiography would just gently caress off and die already.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
EE SEE DUBBA YOO EE SEE DUBBA YOO EE SEE DUBBA YOO EE SEE DUBBA YOO EE SEE DUBBA YOO EE SEE DUBBA YOO EE SEE DUBBA YOO EE SEE DUBBA YOO EE SEE DUBBA YOO EE SEE DUBBA YOO EE SEE DUBBA YOO EE SEE DUBBA YOO EE SEE DUBBA YOO EE SEE DUBBA YOO EE SEE DUBBA YOO EE SEE DUBBA YOO EE SEE DUBBA YOO EE SEE DUBBA YOO EE SEE DUBBA YOO EE SEE DUBBA YOO EE SEE DUBBA YOO EE SEE DUBBA YOO EE SEE DUBBA YOO EE SEE DUBBA YOO EE SEE DUBBA YOO EE SEE DUBBA YOO EE SEE DUBBA YOO

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:

edogawa rando posted:

That or something really misogynistic.

As fun as ECW was before things started to fall apart, good lord, the crowds loving sucked. I really wish the rose-tinted "ECW fans were the best!" hagiography would just gently caress off and die already.

Yes this, I went to a show with my brother when we were 14/16 (and cousin who was 12) with my Aunt (former model) and holy poo poo the things that were being said to her in front of us, the chants at her from other sections (show us your t's, then the other section show us your pu dueling chants... at least she could handle herself and played it off ). Worcester, Mass. I guess there is Worce than Boston

Just loving disturbing even if it was the 90's... Then Beulah and Francine came out and it was like across the whole building (which happened to be an ex-strip club I think)

e: sidenote just remembered, after the show we were hanging out in the back and Blue Meanie came to us and hung around a lot after apologizing profusely to her for the crowd, and invited us backstage to get away from the creeps if we wanted to meet some of the wrestlers, I screamed is Sabu still here?!?! He laughed and said Sabu is probably already asleep under the ring. He mentioned we can hang out with like Spicoli and the bWo guys and me and my brother looked at eachother and were like pass (lol) but most guys are doing meetings (lol probably didn't want kids in RVD and New Jack suites)

Sadly it was like 11pm and my aunt wanted to go home (and I can't blame her) but everyone had the time their lives including my aunt who had never seen wrestling live and was gushing the whole 90 min drive home about insane spot after insane spot after insane spot and how sweet Big Meanie was (She called him Big Sweetie Meanie because he was too sweet (lol!) )

Hirez fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jan 31, 2024

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Hirez posted:

This is Awesome chants started the first time Miz appeared on screen. (Source: Me).

I found this though:

Gabe Sapolsky (former ROH booker) says that the chant started during a CM Punk vs. Bryan Danielson match in FIP (Florida indy and former ROH sister promotion, which Sapolsky also booked). There's obviously no way of knowing if that was really the first time the chant occurred, but Gabe would have heard it when it showed up in ROH, and it almost certainly showed up in ROH before TNA (to the best of my recollection, all the Styles/Daniels/Samoa Joe fans brought it over), so if Gabe says it started in FIP in early 2005, I'm inclined to agree.

Also, one of the earlier recorded holy poo poo chants though probably happened organically a ton since the start of live theatre (and holy sht!!! what spot 12:15 in - Mike Awesome vs Tanaka, but watch the whole loving thing)

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x50s8r

who knew having Bangers in tiny buildings filled to the brim with drunk loud obnoxious rear end in a top hat marks could create such an atmosphere

According to Florida wrestling fans the This is Awesome chant actually started as an ironic chant during a really terrible match but then shortly afterwards was used in the match Gabe cites and then ROH and TNA.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

There will be earlier but the annoying fan "super dragon" chant comes from PWG's "Bad rear end Mother 3000” show in 2003.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

What about Super Crazy in ECW? Or in 2002 ROH?

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Who is the weakest entrant into the Observer Hall of Fame? Going through the entire list I'd have to say to my mind it's, and it hurts me, Shinsuke Nakamura. When you look at his Japanese contemporaries who got in, even Tomohiro Ishii or Yuji Nagata as comparison points, I feel his peak was far shorter and he decided to "retire" to WWE without really establishing a legacy.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Lid posted:

Who is the weakest entrant into the Observer Hall of Fame? Going through the entire list I'd have to say to my mind it's, and it hurts me, Shinsuke Nakamura. When you look at his Japanese contemporaries who got in, even Tomohiro Ishii or Yuji Nagata as comparison points, I feel his peak was far shorter and he decided to "retire" to WWE without really establishing a legacy.

I dunno, Konnan has to be pretty high up there. And I'm having a hard time making a case for Cowboy Bill Watts, but that's largely because of what a drunken, racist, moronic piece of poo poo he was running WCW.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Timby posted:

I dunno, Konnan has to be pretty high up there. And I'm having a hard time making a case for Cowboy Bill Watts, but that's largely because of what a drunken, racist, moronic piece of poo poo he was running WCW.

I'd imagine Konnan's in for his time in Mexico and not for anything he did in the US. The case for Nakamura is that he was the top guy for a minute, before Tanahashi got the bigger push, and the #2/3 guy when New Japan started to go through a boom period, and was consistently on top of the cards alongside Tanahashi and Okada.

Ishii's case is far weaker imo; never held a world title, has never been considered close to a top guy in New Japan where he's spent more of his career, was more over in the US then in Japan but never had an extended US run to take advantage of it. Had Ishii had a run with the ROH world belt while the iron was hot maybe there'd be a better case for him, but Ishii is a firm case of "man wrassle good" being the reasoning behind his induction vs "man draw lots of money". How much of this is a changing of the business vs. changing of fans' taste in the modern era is up to debate.

I'd argue The Rock has a weak case. Debuted in late '96, world champ late '98, hit megastardom in '99 as part of the Attitute boom led by Austin, takes time off right after Wrestlemania '01 to film Scorpion King, effectively done as a full-time wrestler after Summerslam '02. He'd have his returns and short runs and the Wrestlemania trilogy with cena, but there's only four years where he was on top, and he was always a solid number 2 behind Austin. I'd say it's worth nothing that before Rock became a legitimate Hollywood star, whenever he was in the ring with someone like Austin or Hogan, they'd get cheered and Rock would get booed. Rock had his moments on top but he was never the guy of the era, Austin was.

Looking at it, Rock and Nakamura have similiar cases in terms of short arcs on top overshadowed by a period-defining star, Nakamura has more longevity on his side while Rock burned brighter.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Konnan helped found AAA and was one of the biggest draws in Mexico for a decade headlining TripleMania I with 45000 people attending.

Edit: Either you don't remember well but looking at The Rock through those eyes is really really wrong, The Rock wasn't a wrestling star he was the biggest wrestling star in the entire world since Hulk Hogan. He was biiiiiiiiiiiig. Hell he held the record for the highest salary ever for a debuting main actor when I think he got $5 million for the scorpion king which was unheard of at the time. Part of the mythology of The Rock is his wrestling career was so short, hell SCSA's that entire era of peak from 1997 to 2001 was only four years and in that time it made the case for numerous Hall of Famers. Hell Kurt Angle debuted in the middle of that and made the Hall of Fame in five years and it was considered correct thats how much you have to differentiate that era from outside looking in.

Lid fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Feb 2, 2024

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Lid posted:

Konnan helped found AAA and was one of the biggest draws in Mexico for a decade headlining TripleMania I with 45000 people attending.

Edit: Either you don't remember well but looking at The Rock through those eyes is really really wrong, The Rock wasn't a wrestling star he was the biggest wrestling star in the entire world since Hulk Hogan. He was biiiiiiiiiiiig. Hell he held the record for the highest salary ever for a debuting main actor when I think he got $5 million for the scorpion king which was unheard of at the time. Part of the mythology of The Rock is his wrestling career was so short, hell SCSA's that entire era of peak from 1997 to 2001 was only four years and in that time it made the case for numerous Hall of Famers. Hell Kurt Angle debuted in the middle of that and made the Hall of Fame in five years and it was considered correct thats how much you have to differentiate that era from outside looking in.

SCSA also did all of that after breaking his freakin' neck and having to slow down his ring work tremendously.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Timby posted:

Konnan is one of the strongest entries.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
Konnan was a massive draw in Mexico in the 1990s and this is something I never realized until I read old Wrestling Observers from the time.

It's crazy looking back but there it is and he deserves to be in there.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i went to the observer hall of fame and it's really large and there are entire wings that are closed off for not having anyone in them yet

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Justin Godscock posted:

Konnan was a massive draw in Mexico in the 1990s and this is something I never realized until I read old Wrestling Observers from the time.

It's crazy looking back but there it is and he deserves to be in there.

Beyond being the biggest star in a boom period he also played a huge role in bringing talent to the US. Between the huge impact he had on the US and helping found AAA there are very few wrestlers who are more deserving.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
"The Rock has a weak case" is an insanely dumber take than arguing Konnan's merits

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Cavauro posted:

i went to the observer hall of fame and it's really large and there are entire wings that are closed off for not having anyone in them yet

The weakest entrant spotted!

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
My hot take is that there aren't any truly "weak" inductees in the HOF. Pretty much everybody who got in were extremely strong in one or multiple categories, and it's very hard to get voter support without vigorous vetting.

Nakamura was one of the biggest stars in the world at the time he went in, and played a major part in NJPW growing its Western fanbase. I don't like how his induction got retconned as a mistake just because of the WWE run afterwards. Ishii is recognized as one of the best in-ring workers of his era, and arguably the greatest G1 performer ever. Even Sting, who was a divisive candidate for many years, now looks like a slam dunk when you consider his AEW run, and the massive historical significance he left on multiple generations. These are all worthy candidates for various reasons, even if they don't seem obvious at first glance.

Benne fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Feb 3, 2024

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Kennel posted:

The weakest entrant spotted!

😥

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

sgt slaughter is by far the weakest entry

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I'd probably be thinking about Slaughter as well.

Perhaps Sakuraba, in a purely prowrestling context, maybe? I'd argue he's more well-known for his MMA career, but if someone says "nah, he deserves to be in there," I'm not going to argue the point either.

Now, there are a lot of inductees that are regrettable with the benefit of hindsight. I'm sure it won't be difficult to work out which ones I'm thinking of either.

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Feb 3, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

If Dave does do a recall vote for Vince it'll be interesting to see if anyone stands up to support him remaining like Cornette did for Benoit