Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atricks
Nov 5, 2003
Hurricane Man

Bottom Liner posted:

Of course it does. The entire park will likely have less than 10 actual rides when it opens. Probably less than Hollywood Studios which is what, 9 rides?

Looks like 11 (12 if you count both sides of the racing coaster) rides total, and 2 shows.

2 in the main hub (Although with twin coasters you could argue it's 3 rides), Starfall Racers (two coasters) and the Constellation Carousel
3 in Nintendo (2 more than hollywood has) Mario Kart, Donkey Kong Mine Coaster, Yoshi,
2 in Monsters , Werewolf coaster and Monsters Unchained Dark Ride
1 in Potter , Battle at the Ministry of Magic
3 in How to Train your Dragon. A boat ride, a coaster, and a Sky Fly

Harry Potter show "Le Cirque Arcanus" and a show in how to train your dragon, "Untrainable".

Celestial park does seem like a really chill place though. Monsters and that probably will be the sleeper hits here. There is a noticibly sharp move away from screen based rides in this park as well.

Atricks fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Jan 31, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
That’s about standard for all the Orlando parks minus Magic Kingdom

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Yeah, if they pull it off in time for opening that's a stronger line up than I expected

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Magic Kingdom opened with around 18 rides. But that was in 1971 when visitors on opening day were a fraction of what they pull in daily now.

I think a big part nowadays, which was left out of that Epic Universe video, is how much other stuff there is to do besides just rides. Like how Galaxy’s Edge has shows and shops and augmented reality quests where you can just spend an hour or two just eating and drinking and vibing without ever setting foot on a ride.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
Also, potterland was supposed to have a second ride, but it got scrapped when Covid hit and they still hadn’t figured out how to make it work and actually have a decent capacity (was supposed to be some VR type experience)

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Hazo posted:

Wait so she’s not getting paid for her role as an executive on the Harry Potter series, or anything else HP-related? How’s that work? I really don’t want a cent of my money going to that shithead.

What was referring to was just Universal parks she is still getting paid to do movies/tv/merch and what have you.

As for a source I can’t really say it’s from someone who works Universal corporate who told me that’s why they finally allowed Horror Nights to do a Wizarding World thing this past year was because she has no say in the parks anymore.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Yea vr broom ride.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I'm still having a hard time drumming up a lot of excitement for Epic Universe. I will say that I really like the look of the entrance and Celestial Park. Really big, open, naturally beautiful landscapes is something Universal has never done. Their parks are a lot of things, but "beautiful" is rarely something you would use to describe them. There is something to be said for a big, open, beautiful landscape in a theme park in making it feel big and important. The WDW parks have quite a lot of this, and now Universal finally has it. I also like that they wisely chose a non-IP land with a unified theme and aesthetic to anchor the whole park. Astronomy and steampunk is a not groundbreaking, but solid choice.

Other than that, the lands... I'm sure there will be some great rides in this mix. But I'm just having a hard time caring. I think a THIRD Potter land is a mistake. I've talked about How to Train Your Dragon before and it's such a limited appeal. People will always chime in and say how they're actually pretty good films and not typical Dreamworks fare, and, well that's fine, but "pretty good" animated CGI films are still a dime a dozen and HTTYD is just... another one. Super Nintendo World is of course really interesting, but we know that the Mario Kart ride is a bit lackluster. The Monsters land I believe holds the most potential as it's not just one franchise (I guess technically Nintendo World is 2) and we definitely haven't seem something like this before.

But yeah, when 4/5ths of the park is specific IP, you have a park that doesn't really have an identity, just a collection of stuff. I wish there was at least one additional land that was not IP-based. I know not everyone will agree, but I just don't want the future of theme parks to forever be "collection of IP's location A", "collection of IPs location B", etc.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

When I moved to Florida for the first time I didn't do any research into what is universal was or what I looked like, just heard it has good rides.
I had the greatest sense of buyers remorse in my life when I mistook the long walk into city walk as the park proper. The barrage of billboards and pop music just made me think I wasted my time and money. Thankfully Harry p and King Kong was worth it.
I assume after Epic opens they will keep Mib, weirdo old rear end cartoon land, Marvels sad land and the melting poo poo hole of dr.suess languishing in stasis for another decade.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

What was referring to was just Universal parks she is still getting paid to do movies/tv/merch and what have you.

As for a source I can’t really say it’s from someone who works Universal corporate who told me that’s why they finally allowed Horror Nights to do a Wizarding World thing this past year was because she has no say in the parks anymore.

yeah but she's still getting money from it. and until she's dead or she doesn't anymore, I just can't. :smith:

Upsidads posted:

Yea vr broom ride.

That just sounds like a barfapalooza waiting to happen.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

I'm still having a hard time drumming up a lot of excitement for Epic Universe. I will say that I really like the look of the entrance and Celestial Park. Really big, open, naturally beautiful landscapes is something Universal has never done. Their parks are a lot of things, but "beautiful" is rarely something you would use to describe them. There is something to be said for a big, open, beautiful landscape in a theme park in making it feel big and important. The WDW parks have quite a lot of this, and now Universal finally has it. I also like that they wisely chose a non-IP land with a unified theme and aesthetic to anchor the whole park. Astronomy and steampunk is a not groundbreaking, but solid choice.

Other than that, the lands... I'm sure there will be some great rides in this mix. But I'm just having a hard time caring. I think a THIRD Potter land is a mistake. I've talked about How to Train Your Dragon before and it's such a limited appeal. People will always chime in and say how they're actually pretty good films and not typical Dreamworks fare, and, well that's fine, but "pretty good" animated CGI films are still a dime a dozen and HTTYD is just... another one. Super Nintendo World is of course really interesting, but we know that the Mario Kart ride is a bit lackluster. The Monsters land I believe holds the most potential as it's not just one franchise (I guess technically Nintendo World is 2) and we definitely haven't seem something like this before.

But yeah, when 4/5ths of the park is specific IP, you have a park that doesn't really have an identity, just a collection of stuff. I wish there was at least one additional land that was not IP-based. I know not everyone will agree, but I just don't want the future of theme parks to forever be "collection of IP's location A", "collection of IPs location B", etc.

IP land is literally what Universal does. Go back to Jaws, or the Nickelodeon studio. The only reason IOA got original stuff is because they didn't have IP to put there but they really wanted that second gate.

e: I also fully expect them to open EU, add one thing in three years (probably the missing potter ride) then ignore it for a decade while they straighten out the other parks.

Coasterphreak fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Jan 31, 2024

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

That weird Mediterranean entrance that just exists to bore you into going left faster

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Not an empty quote!

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Classic monsters land would also be the first area they stiff on budget

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

The contract is public information (it's filed with the SEC). Such a buyout would be so expensive that it would be a material change that WB and/or Comcast would need to disclose to their shareholders.

She is still getting paid. Nothing has changed.

Edna Mode
Sep 24, 2005

Bullshit, that's last year's Fall collection!

First Harry Potter area: Hogwarts Castle and a rural wizard village.
Second Harry Potter area: bustling wizard city and a dragon
Third Harry Potter area: Paris?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I guess it's probably important in the movies nobody liked.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

Paris and a building of bureaucracy.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Hear me out
Toy Story Mania:Muggle Purge

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

I've talked about How to Train Your Dragon before and it's such a limited appeal. People will always chime in and say how they're actually pretty good films and not typical Dreamworks fare, and, well that's fine, but "pretty good" animated CGI films are still a dime a dozen and HTTYD is just... another one.
I think this is unfair to the franchise, but I've also got zero idea how well it landed with kids who will demand their parents buy them merch. It's a pretty old series at this point too, so it seems like an odd choice to base a land around.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's definitely a 75% aesthetic/25% popularity choice, but HTTYD is still a very popular franchise.

There's an animated series currently running, and a live action movie that should be out right about when the park is opening.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
What we need: More Minions

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

"Pretty good" is really underselling those movies. They were better than a lot of Pixar's stuff in the past decade or so.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Upsidads posted:

When I moved to Florida for the first time I didn't do any research into what is universal was or what I looked like, just heard it has good rides.
I had the greatest sense of buyers remorse in my life when I mistook the long walk into city walk as the park proper. The barrage of billboards and pop music just made me think I wasted my time and money. Thankfully Harry p and King Kong was worth it.

Yeah, the initial arrival at Universal Orlando leaves a very sour first impression, from the gross, decaying parking garage and security checkpoint structure to the initial blast of advertising billboards and a massive jumbled mess of juxtaposing aesthetics. It does get a lot better once you reach the fork to go toward IOA or USF though.

Coasterphreak posted:

IP land is literally what Universal does.

Well, original USF was entirely IP attractions in more generalized lands. IOA originally only had one single-IP land (Jurassic Park). I prefer at least a mix, but I think even lands like Marvel, Seuss, and Comic Book lane where it's a collection of related franchises IN THEORY provide opportunity for the creative teams to flex their design muscles a little more than single-IP. I say in theory because Marvel, Seuss, and Toon Lagoon are all pretty badly executed.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Bottom Liner posted:

"Pretty good" is really underselling those movies. They were better than a lot of Pixar's stuff in the past decade or so.

I guess I'll have to wait and see. After all, Pandora is one of my favorite lands, despite the films being meh and not well loved by most people.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Holy poo poo I know everyone was clamoring for a Flight of Passage-style ride for HTTYD because it makes complete sense, but is the ride in that land literally just that loving spinning carnival ride that was posted a few months ago?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

lol

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Hazo posted:

Holy poo poo I know everyone was clamoring for a Flight of Passage-style ride for HTTYD because it makes complete sense, but is the ride in that land literally just that loving spinning carnival ride that was posted a few months ago?

There is also a roller coaster.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Add a couple of these babies and they could double, even triple, the ride count in each land.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Zero One posted:

And a boat.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Zero One posted:

Oh thank god, I was about to laugh myself sick

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
I'm only really "concerned" about how they've designed the walkways. They stuck with the hub and spoke model but with no connecting "wheel" between the lands. Each land has just one narrow portal in and out.

Disney learned 60+ years ago that it was awful to force people back into a central hub as the only means to move around the park.

I imagine they will have some bad bottlenecks and a lot of tired guests.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Zero One posted:

I'm only really "concerned" about how they've designed the walkways. They stuck with the hub and spoke model but with no connecting "wheel" between the lands. Each land has just one narrow portal in and out.

Disney learned 60+ years ago that it was awful to force people back into a central hub as the only means to move around the park.

I imagine they will have some bad bottlenecks and a lot of tired guests.

Is this confirmed? I know it’s not in the concept art but I assumed there would be connections between the lands but just not as bombastic and showy as the center hub “portal.” This seems extraordinarily stupid.

Hazo fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jan 31, 2024

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
None of the leaked plans show anything. In fact each land is seperated by the entry gates, a hotel, or one of the many empty "expansion pads".

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
They literally did that on purpose so that they can close lands off if they get too crowded or there’s a private event or something. It is 100% by design.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
It's how Diagon Alley and Super Nintendo World are setup as well. I think the idea is to encourage guests to fully engage with one land before moving on to the next. I'm actually curious as to how it will turn out. The hub and spoke design (MK) encourages a lot of skipping around, and the circular design (IOA) encourages skipping past a lot of stuff entirely.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Coasterphreak posted:

They literally did that on purpose so that they can close lands off if they get too crowded or there’s a private event or something. It is 100% by design.

When would there ever be a private event at a single land thats closed off to the rest of the paying guests? And why would a few sidewalks stop them from closing that off the same way? Surely if those were concerns they could design crossways with that in mind.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The DeSantis case has been dismissed.

The gist is that in the US it’s perfectly legal to pass laws maliciously as long as you had the right to pass that law to begin with, which he did.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

And a boat.

Are they also putting the show that's in Beijing there as well?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Akileese posted:

Are they also putting the show that's in Beijing there as well?

Unconfirmed if it’s the same show, but there will be a show yes.