Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: muscles like this!)

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Worst way to announce a good American Godzilla movie in 20 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

IRQ posted:

Japan is like full on attacking the US because their economy imploded, and got nukes. I forget how all that was the US's fault. That book was bananas.

Actually that all got resolved before the 9/11ing at the end of the book, so maybe you're right.

Yeah, a JAL pilot caught up in nationalist fervor goes off the deep end when Japan loses the war, stabs his copilot and does a kamikaze on the capital.

It was the US's fault because a grandstanding congressman gets protectionist tariffs placed on Japanese cars after a family dies in a car accident.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Get in the robot Jack Ryan

Sumo
Jun 17, 2005

I don't even KNOW Ryan!

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I want to see Jack Ryan fight Jack Reacher.

Reacher would obviously win.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

thrawn527 posted:

That's why they changed the villains from Middle Eastern terrorists (I forget which country, but I think they were Palestinian?) to Nazis. They figured making them Nazis would be way less topical.

This is a popularly held belief, but it's wrong. The Sum of All Fears finished filming in June 2001, three months before 9 / 11.

Sumo
Jun 17, 2005

I found out this week (through one of my all time favorite TV shows, PBS' Finding Your Roots), that Sammy Hagar is not actually genetically related to his Hagar ancestors.

According to the genealogists, he should actually be Sammy Belcher.

I don't know what to do with that information, I just find it delightful as a fan of Bob's Burgers

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

thrawn527 posted:

Holy poo poo, I completely forgot that movie existed. And no, I never saw it. From the trailers, it just looked like a generic action movie, not a Jack Ryan movie at all, and from what I understand, wasn't based on any book. I also haven't bothered with the Amazon show, because it also looks boring as hell.

If you can ignore the fact that the entire thing is jingoistic CIA propaganda, the first season at least is fun especially if you enjoy spy thrillers at all.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Timby posted:

This is a popularly held belief, but it's wrong. The Sum of All Fears finished filming in June 2001, three months before 9 / 11.

Really? I didn't know that. My mistake. I wonder why they changed the villains to neo-Nazis, then.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

thrawn527 posted:

Really? I didn't know that. I wonder why they changed the villains to neo-Nazis, then.

Maximizing box-office revenue potential in EMEA markets, I believe.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Timby posted:

Thanks jerk I wasn't feeling old today until I saw that the "new" Jack Ryan movie is over 20 years old

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

thrawn527 posted:

Really? I didn't know that. My mistake. I wonder why they changed the villains to neo-Nazis, then.

I mean middle eastern politics and terrorism were still a thing on 9/10. It still makes sense that they'd change from a provocative modern example to a then safe option of Nazis even without a specific historic tragedy to react to.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Man this a pretty dark season of True Detective, though a part of me wonders if it's an adaptation of 30 Days of Night

no I don't actually think that but there's a lot of similarities!

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I really wish I had another throwaway watch-in-the-background comfort show that I could vibe with no matter what, because I've almost finished rewatching all of the good seasons of Mythbusters. Everything else I think of just feels like it would involve more engagement than I have the ability to give at the moment.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

feedmyleg posted:

I really wish I had another throwaway watch-in-the-background comfort show that I could vibe with no matter what, because I've almost finished rewatching all of the good seasons of Mythbusters. Everything else I think of just feels like it would involve more engagement than I have the ability to give at the moment.

How It's Made is on Tubi and Max.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

feedmyleg posted:

I just did a rewatch of Nathan For You as my background show and it's still amazing

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I was watching Bar Rescue in my background slot but I ditched my Paramount+ sub. Of course they then gave me one of those “3 months for 3 dollars” offers so maybe I’ll continue. Meh.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023
Jack Ryan for all his faults, gave us the pinnicle of tactical shooters in the Rainbow Six games. Obviously not including anything after 2005

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Just finishing up S3 of Slow Horses and literally shouting at the loving screen right now for River to snatch it back, it's so loving obvious what that senile old gently caress is going to do you useless loving muppet! Jesus Christ! No wonder he's stuck there forever, is there a bigger gently caress up on TV?

Still, megalol at Cokehead Shirley saving the day taking out nine PMC wankers, you go girl.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Sentinel Red posted:

Just finishing up S3 of Slow Horses and literally shouting at the loving screen right now for River to snatch it back, it's so loving obvious what that senile old gently caress is going to do you useless loving muppet! Jesus Christ! No wonder he's stuck there forever, is there a bigger gently caress up on TV?
I suppose you've watched the rest of the episode now? :)

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Yes, yes, okay, I rescind my earlier statement somewhat. Pah.

He's still mostly loving useless though!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It's still stupid to lose the originals.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I love River Cartwright so much, he's fully convinced he is the main star of a spy action movie and does just the stupidest loving poo poo all the time and seems so confused when he isn't rewarded for it :allears:

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Medullah posted:

Thanks jerk I wasn't feeling old today until I saw that the "new" Jack Ryan movie is over 20 years old

No, the 'new' Jack Ryan movie is only ten years old.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Oh man, Expats is so loving sad. I spent the last ten minutes of the second episode in knots, because I sort of knew what was going to happen but I honestly thought it wouldn't happen so loving soon.

It's also good and funny though, and Kidman is great.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Matlock is pretty fun at the start. One of the major trial gimmicks is that Matlock, without any wild grandstanding or dramatics, will expose people committing perjury while they are on the stand. It doesn't then result in a massive furor or crazy court room shenanigan just as part of the process where he then gets them to admit the truth he already knows and could prove.

When did court room legal dramas sort of peak and transform to the over dramatic character acting and shocker reveals causing the whole thing to break down while a judge slams the gavel screaming "order!"?

I saw that sort of happen over the series run of The Practice. I've never seen early season Law and Order so I don't know how dramatic they got but given it's run in the 90s it's got to be pretty influential.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

OG Law & Order was fairly low key for a courtroom drama up through the Lenny Brisco years (so season 13 or so). The cases were usually murky, with the audience not being given any special information that the police/lawyers didn’t have, and it was often unclear if the person on trial was actually guilty or not. The moral uncertainty and the more professional nature of the characters - you only ever saw the characters at work, and often knew little of their personal lives* - were part of the show’s calling cards

After Jack McCoy stopped being ADA and was promoted to full DA, (seasons 17+) the courtroom part became a lot more melodramatic and tended to rest on flashy reveals, and interpersonal drama.

*Legendarily, and hilariously, one character was revealed to be gay on the exact episode where she got kicked off the show. It was essentially the first time her personal life was ever touched on. It was so bad.

Old Kentucky Shark fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Jan 31, 2024

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Watching the first episode of Masters of the Air and the show definitely has a problem of everyone dressing exactly the same, wearing flight helmets and masks while talking over radios.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

muscles like this! posted:

Watching the first episode of Masters of the Air and the show definitely has a problem of everyone dressing exactly the same, wearing flight helmets and masks while talking over radios.

They're also all basically in the same identical sets, which makes working out who's where in relation to each other kind of hard.

Vomit guy doing yeoman's work by virtue of being covered in vomit.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I know it doesn't match up at all and would be ahistorical but it would be funny if all of a sudden Jimmy Stewart was there too.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023
Those sheepskin leather suits must be worth a fortune these days. Sheep are at a premium, i blame Ugg boots.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Anyone who had THE SUM OF ALL FEARS on DVD had the delightful commentary with Phil Alden Robinson (The Director) and Tom Clancy where Clancy just bitches the entire time about the changes and how unrealistic everything is.

I don't know how I feel about TRUE DETECTIVE. There's plenty to like with this season, but trying to tie anything in with the first one is kinda embarrassing (And feels like a corporate mandate) and while there's stuff visually that works, the whole thing feels like a slow walk in circles. The less said about some of the writing the better. It's like getting a glimpse into how the show would have been if it was made by CBS.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Wasn't there a seinfeld thread? I ctrl fed "seinf" but got nothing for several pages. God I hope I didn't misspell it, although that would explain it

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
Its title is probably a Seinfeld quote, making it a bit hard to find

It may be better to use Google with the site:forums.somethingawful.com modifier and just search for Seinfeld

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3295518

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

muscles like this! posted:

I think they made a mistake not showing any of the training stuff that BoB did. That was really valuable in getting to know and differentiate all the characters before they got thrown into a bunch of hectic action.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Milo and POTUS posted:

Wasn't there a seinfeld thread? I ctrl fed "seinf" but got nothing for several pages. God I hope I didn't misspell it, although that would explain it

It's a quote thread of endless lines that don't actually make sense in sequence to one another, much like how the MST3K thread is endless random quotes and there's one or two random posts about the show itself that get quickly ignored.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I ended up remembering what I was thinking of anyway, it was something that happened to george and I thought it was in the opposite episode instead

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Timby posted:

It's a quote thread of endless lines that don't actually make sense in sequence to one another, much like how the MST3K thread is endless random quotes and there's one or two random posts about the show itself that get quickly ignored.

Once again proving the Simpson's wrong quote thread supremacy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
Freshmen season: A's across the board
Sophore season: sophmoric
Junior season: tried, but took the wrong classes
Senior season: if they hadn't switched to this new school it'd have been okay