Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Roundup Ready posted:

Must lead to absolutely legendary farts too

Apropos nothing, air quality sensors are coming to Android phones in the moderately-near future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Just came from a wine party where the host opened up some cans of Ramón Peña mussels that he brought home from a recent trip, and holy loving poo poo.

Why doesn't this company ship to where I live :qq:

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
how were they served?

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Just straight out of the tin accompanied by some sourdough to either put the mussels on with a bit of cream cheese or to sop up the spicy oil the mussels were stored in.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012

Planet X posted:

Just discovered Triscuit tadziki. Good with a dine

Tried this as my first go to instead of just eating them over the sink....and it's good. Very pleased. A+ Dining experience

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
Cracked open the Costco "Seasons" Sardines and they are night and day better than the "Chicken of the Sea Sardines in Louisiana Hot Sauce"
0 "fishy" note, if that bothers you, not gnawing throwing bones on every bite and just clean. I don't know how else to describe them but very very "clean" tasting.

Tossed em on a tzatziki triscuit with some black truffle hot suace.....loving HEAVEN on earth my friends. Wow. No more lovely chicken of the sea sardines for me.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Tiny Chalupa posted:

Cracked open the Costco "Seasons" Sardines and they are night and day better than the "Chicken of the Sea Sardines in Louisiana Hot Sauce"
0 "fishy" note, if that bothers you, not gnawing throwing bones on every bite and just clean. I don't know how else to describe them but very very "clean" tasting.

Tossed em on a tzatziki triscuit with some black truffle hot suace.....loving HEAVEN on earth my friends. Wow. No more lovely chicken of the sea sardines for me.

Seasons are a great everyday sardine! There are okay cheaper dollar store type sardines. Beach Cliff is one that I’ll never do again though

I sorta miss the bumblebee mustard ones my corner store used to carry

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
anyone ever gently caress with the king oscar royal selection dines?

im trying these ones with the sliced olives with them and they're very good

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Crossposting an incredible site

Leperflesh posted:

Dunno if a straight up web store is allowed, but: https://rainbowtomatoesgarden.com/ is a store that sells every single kind of canned fish (and cephalopod etc., just think seafood in a can). It has tools for sorting through the 700+ different tins of fish, and by "tools" I mean a Google Sheets spreadsheet linked directly from the site page. So without buying anything you can actually use this site as a tool for figuring out which eighteen brands sell gristling sardines packed in tomato and spice, and how big each can is and what it costs etc.

It also has tagging with filters, so you can click the "SARDINE SIZE BIG (CHONKERS)" tag to get this page https://rainbowtomatoesgarden.com/product-tag/large/ or "tin level: advanced" to get https://rainbowtomatoesgarden.com/product-tag/advanced-tin/ which lists some cans of fish that cost $45
or

how about all the stuff talked about by instagram/tiktok canned fish influencer "daywithmei"? https://rainbowtomatoesgarden.com/product-tag/daywithmei/

it's loving amazing

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011
Just dropped a bill on rainbow garden on some 'dines I seleceted purely by the graphic design of their packaging.

They have a tinned fish slack channel.

I'm in heaven

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Brunswick skinless and boneless dines with red peppers ---- not bad, not bad at all! Eating some with rice and fresh kimchi.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

had my first ever mediocre portuguese mackerel- just dry as a bone and near flavorless. the stupid thing is instead of being disappointed i was kinda elated with my exception that proved the rule

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I'm just getting into tinned fish and tried some King Oscar plain ol sardines, and they were great. Had them on saltines with Texas Pete.

Is there a good way to trial a bunch of stuff I might like? Or should I just like buy whatever looks cool

edit-- drat that link above has a bunch of "ten tins to try and why" lists. score

Count Thrashula fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Jan 31, 2024

dsf
Jul 1, 2004
Rainbow Tomatoes Garden is incredible, seriously one of the best online stores ive ever ordered from. The owner (Dan) is extremely friendly and knowledgeable, contacted me personally when I made my order to make sure the shipping cost was low as possible and packed my box full of neat little extras like stickers and recipes. Cant recommend them enough

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Also RTG is about 30 minutes from where I live :)

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
dang that rainbow tomatoes garden place has a LOT i'm interested in...

also the dude who run sit seems to post like crazy in /r/cannedsardines

homeboy likes his tinned fish

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

buy him an account

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Two things I've really enjoyed from RTG lately, plus an extra guy:

Ati Manel Garfish in Olive Oil

This was the first time I ever had garfish, and it was decent! I liked the texture better than the usual brisling, they were quite firm. I ate them with a mediterranean veggie salad with tahini dressing. If you like crunchy spines you'll loooove garfish. One other thing, if I was reading the can right, they are -very- salty. I'm not sure why they packed the salt into these guys -and- the olive oil, probably won't get them again for that reason, but I enjoyed giving garfish a whirl.

Don Gastronom (La Narval) Mackerel Fillets in Olive Oil 4/6

These were amazing. Perfectly meaty, mild flavor, more fish-y (in a good way) and much less dry than the sad tuna of my youth. I ate the tin in one sitting, over the sink, with portions on water crackers, doused with garlic tomato lonsa. I'd absolutely get this again at this price point, although I have a few KO mackerel tins I want to try and compare it with.

I didn't eat these from RTG, they were at a local specialty provisions shop, but these were also extremely good:

Siesta Co. Mackerel in organic extra virgin olive oil

More flaky than the above brand, which was wonderful - a perfect fish flavor balance between tuna and sardine imho, with added bonus of, to my taste, a really high quality, fruity olive oil.

I hadn't had much mackerel before and went a bit wild ordering more from RTG - will return with my thoughts after I slam a few tins.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I think my upcoming birthday party will demand RTG-sourced tinfish as cover charge

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011
I got that garfish too! The design is my wife’s favorite.

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Emitting dimensions are swallowing you
Has anyone tried this yet? I'm oddly on the fence, I usually have no canned fish fear.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Myron Baloney posted:

Has anyone tried this yet? I'm oddly on the fence, I usually have no canned fish fear.

Did not know you could buy canned krill, cool. I found a good review, by a blogger who encountered it at the north american seafood expo in boston last year.

https://buyingseafood.com/2023/10/13/antarctic-krill-meat/

The tl;dr is:
1) intensely shrimpy, can still see animal parts/little black eyes in tin, lots of little hard bits of chitin
2) they did not enjoy making a sandwich spread with it
3) they think it is still worth buying as it would be amazing as a base for stocks and sauces (much like we've seen some anchovy types in this thread)

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
That's cool you can buy & eat krill. Now I can pretend to be a baleen whale!

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Just place a $50 mystery box order with RTG. Can't wait to see what I get

naem
May 29, 2011

Krill crosses too far into bug territory for me personally

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

naem posted:

I mean they're just little shrimp.

naem
May 29, 2011

if you can’t reliably get all the legs and eyeballs and stuff out it’s pretty much bugs to me

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

This is the thread where you're encouraged to eat the bones but a slightly different chitinous fiber is a step too far?

naem
May 29, 2011

Mr. Nice! posted:

This is the thread where you're encouraged to eat the bones but a slightly different chitinous fiber is a step too far?

that is correct

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

Pacra posted:

This was the first time I ever had garfish, and it was decent! I liked the texture better than the usual brisling, they were quite firm. I ate them with a mediterranean veggie salad with tahini dressing.
I've been on a tinned fish kick lately and mostly making sautéed veggies and fish but taking the same ingredients and putting them on top of salad greens is nice to mix it up. For dressing I just mix balsamic, olive oil and some spices and it kicks rear end.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

naem posted:

but so many bugs are crustaceans now it confuses and emboldens me

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!
I made salmon cakes using the cheapest worst can of salmon from the grocery outlet. they were o.k.

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

naem posted:

if you can’t reliably get all the legs and eyeballs and stuff out it’s pretty much bugs to me

:same:

I’m curious about the krill cause had no idea humans even tried to consume them but think it ends there for me.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

The Voice of Labor posted:

I made salmon cakes using the cheapest worst can of salmon from the grocery outlet. they were o.k.

what brand? I stopped making salmon cakes and started making mackerel cakes a couple years ago because canned salmon got to a price point I was unwilling to pay.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

My parents made canned salmon patties and potato pancakes as our struggle meal growing up and I'll never forget the calcium crunch mixed with stinky fish.. shudder.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

salmon patties are so good but you gotta de-spine em, imo

as a bonus the spine is a healthy treat for a cat, or, assorted yard creature

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!

Wendigee posted:

My parents made canned salmon patties and potato pancakes as our struggle meal growing up and I'll never forget the calcium crunch mixed with stinky fish.. shudder.

sooo stinky.

made my mouth kinda tingly too. I'm allergic to shrimp so maybe there was still some krill in it's belly

Weltlich posted:

what brand? I stopped making salmon cakes and started making mackerel cakes a couple years ago because canned salmon got to a price point I was unwilling to pay.

SEA RIPPLE ALASKA KETA SALMON

written just like that on the can

The Voice of Labor fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Feb 3, 2024

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Emitting dimensions are swallowing you
I got a can of krill as pictured in my last post, I shared it on saltines with my son, his friend and my wife. The verdict - it was okay, it would have been hard to tell it from a can of chopped up tiny salad-size Alaskan shrimp, maybe tasted a bit more like crab. It looked just like the pictures in the linked story above, a black eye stalk here and there, not much chitin so decent texture, pretty salty. If it wasn't $7-8 a can I'd buy it once in a while, for that price it's a one-off.

naem
May 29, 2011

I’ve literally eaten dry roasted crickets, and ants before, and I would again before eating anything with “black eye stalks here or there” in them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
First mystery box from RTG came, I'm super excited to try them