Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I stand here in testament that is possible to fish without Big Fishing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

yeah, fishing is fine.

ocean fishing is fun as hell.

"big" fishing is pursuing the rarest, most pain-in-the-rear end fish in the game, and is completely unnecessary.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i had a really good time bringing my FSH up and it's enabling me to grind towards <Barista...> which is all i want for my gimmick

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

That recommendation to watch through the "Pat Stares At" video was a good one. Some of his suggestions like turning on "expanded hold" for the stuff you don't frequently use and adding non-crossbar regular hotbars to the screen to drop your long-cooldown abilities so you can keep track of when they are up (even though you can't select them on the hotbar with a controller) without having to constantly check were great suggestions.

I see you can also add classes/jobs gear set shortcuts to the cross hotbar too. That saves me a lot of digging in the menus every time I want to switch up some crafting.

I've only watched like 1/3 of that long rear end video but it's already been a good use of time.

I'd thought that GW2 had a decent controller setup with its action cam and player made control maps in steam, but FFXIV has been leaps and bounds better just by virtue of not having to use mouse emulation for selecting in windows or managing items.

I think I've only had to use mouse emulation to add skills to the regular hotbars for cooldown tracking. Literally everything else has been doable with regular controller movements.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

Nitrousoxide posted:

I'd thought that GW2 had a decent controller setup with its action cam and player made control maps in steam, but FFXIV has been leaps and bounds better just by virtue of not having to use mouse emulation for selecting in windows or managing items.

That's because even though FF14's tab target combat is utterly unsuitable to controllers, the game was nevertheless designed with them in mind and they made sure it works, while GW2 is the complete opposite - action combat well suited to a controller - but never designed around supporting them.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Okay, so I was really struggling with non-party healing and just the general filter targeting grabbing too much poo poo I didn't care about. Then I discovered the LB + button filter customizations that let you set a discrete set of things to cycle through. The default "Friends" filter served the purpose there great. I really think that should be the default, since it's a huge pain in the rear end to try and select non-party members to heal in combat without it on tap. And it'll go back to the normal sheathed/unsheathed targeting modes after that combat is over (unless you turn those off obviously).

FlashFearless
Nov 4, 2004
Death. But not for you, Gunslinger. Never for you.

I started playing this game a little less than a month ago. In the last week or so I crossed level 50, and now I'm mid-way through the weird limbo of "Seventh Astral Era" quests.

I just got my apartment, built my own bed, and I'm super excited about it.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

FlashFearless posted:

I started playing this game a little less than a month ago. In the last week or so I crossed level 50, and now I'm mid-way through the weird limbo of "Seventh Astral Era" quests.

Limbo is a good term for the seventh astra era quest period, not as bad as some people make out but feels a bit like you're waiting for something to happen. Glad to hear you're still enjoying yourself through it!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

FlashFearless posted:

Hell yeah, welcome!

That section of MSQ is referred to the 2.X quests (they were released in patches 2.1, 2.2, etc.) and are the biggest low-point/filler drag of the game. They were released when Squeenix was desperately stalling for time during the development of Heavensward.

Hang in there, take your time and just keep doing side content that interests you! You’re not too far away from the voice cast change and when the plot that got all those loving awards finally starts kicking in, but you can’t sprint through everything between you and that and you’d just be miserable if you tried.

Edit: If you want some guidance about which side content to do first, you'll eventually need to do the Crystal Tower Raids, they're side content that they've since made mandatory since the plot in them becomes relevant much later. They're the side quests in Mor Dhona full of Final Fantasy 2 references that have three 'alliance raids' in them, giant 24-man dungeons full of chaos and a lot of mechanics you're going to die to at first.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jan 30, 2024

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose
You will also need to do the hard mode primals to enter Heavensward. If you haven't done them yet, they start with a side quest given by Minfilia. Also highly recommend finding someone to run you through the Bahamut raid. The raids are very tough, but can be breezed through with the help of a lvl 90 using the Unrestricted Party option in Duty Finder. The raid's story is a very good wrap up of what happened during the Calamity.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021
Please tell me I'm not the only person in the multiverse that doesn't like Hildibrand quests. Lolrandom humour is so tiring.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
It's a Japanese slapstick take on mystery drama with a side of Final Fantasy brand comedy characters(i.e. the big names in the ARR Hildibrand trials, etc.) It's also expressly a testing ground for facial expressions and character posing.

If you're just getting into it give it a bit to see if it settles but yeah it's all like that!

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Szarrukin posted:

Please tell me I'm not the only person in the multiverse that doesn't like Hildibrand quests. Lolrandom humour is so tiring.

Hildebrand is not "lolrandom" humor its slapstick and character based with the characters in question being deeply stupid.

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Hildibrand quests have a few funny moments, but they exclusively feature the WoL. E.g. the Shadowbringers dance cutscene. Hildibrand himself and his associated cast of characters are painfully unfunny

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Hildebrand is one long tsukkomi and boke routine, and how much you enjoy that depends on how much you like Japanese slapstick.

My avatar probably makes it clear where I stand on that. (Gintama is also one long tsukkomi and boke routine.)

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Nashu is the best character in the entire game and I will die on this hill

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Some of the early game voice acting has been... interesting. I also had some tonal whiplash going from whimsical fantasy world airship to sci-fi dark legion evil empire in the same cutscene.

I really like Limsa Lominsa. Kicks rear end as a map. It's super full of life and lots of little details about the npcs going about living their lives. The job quests here also feel pretty varied and tailored to them.
Ul'dah feels super dead and lifeless. I don't like that place at all. I haven't spent much time here though yet. I still need to pick up the crafting/gathering/combat jobs here.
New Gridania (my starting area) doesn't feel very capitol city like. It feels way too small, and the there's not much non-essential stuff around to give the place a more lived in feeling. I don't like the job questlines here. They all feel super samey and carbon cutouts of each other.

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jan 30, 2024

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Relyssa posted:

Nashu is precious and must be protected against.

Qwezz
Dec 19, 2010

I'm feeling some good vibrations!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMz1PZwleWU

For new/all players; There is a mogtome event live atm which rewards loads of cool things.
https://eu.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/special/mogmog-collection/202401/8degg9wgnk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpE5DLSAuhk

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Nitrousoxide posted:

Some of the early game voice acting has been... interesting. I also had some tonal whiplash going from whimsical fantasy world airship to sci-fi dark legion evil empire in the same cutscene.

I really like Limsa Lominsa. Kicks rear end as a map. It's super full of life and lots of little details about the npcs going about living their lives. The job quests here also feel pretty varied and tailored to them.
Ul'dah feels super dead and lifeless. I don't like that place at all. I haven't spent much time here though yet. I still need to pick up the crafting/gathering/combat jobs here.
New Gridania (my starting area) doesn't feel very capitol city like. It feels way too small, and the there's not much non-essential stuff around to give the place a more lived in feeling. I don't like the job questlines here. They all feel super samey and carbon cutouts of each other.

I've never enjoyed ARR voice acting in EN, though I found 2.5+ voice acting to be tolerable during my current replay. It's been litigated a few times in the various FFXIV threads, but I've been told it comes down to the voice direction missing the mark, as the actors are apparently all rather experienced. I'd almost suggest switching to JP with subtitles until you start Heavensward. You'll miss a handful of memes that came out of the EN voice acting, but IMO that's a small price to pay.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Nitrousoxide posted:

Yeah, ARR voice acting is pretty bad at times. Due the rush the game was made in, there's barely any direction, it seems. Hell, one of the main characters can't pronounce her own name right.

They actually change to a UK based studio with Heavensward and re-cast every actor. Overall quality of the dub jumps up massively and honestly becomes really good, IMO. Kinda wish they would go back and re-dub ARR with the current cast, but it's been so long that I don't see it happening.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
I am not a huge Hildibrand fan either as it's not quite my preffered brand of humor but

Relyssa posted:

This 1000%

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Szarrukin posted:

You're not alone. I know a few others who the brand of comedy doesn't land for. The quests are highly regarded by many people, as you can see in previous posts, but that doesn't mean they're funny to everyone.

The Hildi quests do continue into the current expansion and there are five trials that are locked behind them, as well as the current expansion's relic weapons. Also a few minions and emotes. If any of those interest you, it's ok to complete the quests even if you have to skip the cutscenes.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I've met a couple people who switched to the Japanese voices because the English VA in ARR was so terrible, and then never switched back so they've never heard much of the "new" VA

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

FuturePastNow posted:

I've met a couple people who switched to the Japanese voices because the English VA in ARR was so terrible, and then never switched back so they've never heard much of the "new" VA

This is what I did. I didn't even know they had changed VA studios until I had finished 4.0. I did switch to English for Shadowbringers and beyond though and I'm very glad I did

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Something that might help for ARR Hildibrand that I've seen some people run into: they originally came out 1 a patch but something about how it feels encourages people to try and push through because "it's got to be over soon right?" Feel free to pace yourself, it's not one side story it's four in a row.

For some reason I don't see people run into the same issue for the later stuff. Forewarned from experience, something subtle about the pacing? ARR feels like it's trying to run at comedy level 10 the whole time and even if you like the shtick that gets exhausting.

Pryce
May 21, 2011

johnny park posted:

This is what I did. I didn't even know they had changed VA studios until I had finished 4.0. I did switch to English for Shadowbringers and beyond though and I'm very glad I did

Worth it purely for Emet Selch alone.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
They couldn't even spell Sam Riegel's name correctly

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

So with augmented credendum gear and the last stage of the manderville relic, my DRK is sitting at a 2.44 GCD. Everything I'm seeing suggests I should get it to an even 2.40 or 2.45 to fit nicely into buff windows, but it would cost me about 6 or 7 materia slots to get to 2.40 that would otherwise be going to Crit/DH. Would that be a worthwhile tradeoff? Or should I reconfigure my manderville stats to get rid of that tiny bit of SkSp and triangulate to 2.45 from there?

I looked at the balance but all their setups seem to include some mix of ascension gear and I'm not getting into savage this round at least, so maybe it doesn't even matter that my GCD isn't perfect?

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

God Hole posted:

So with augmented credendum gear and the last stage of the manderville relic, my DRK is sitting at a 2.44 GCD. Everything I'm seeing suggests I should get it to an even 2.40 or 2.45 to fit nicely into buff windows, but it would cost me about 6 or 7 materia slots to get to 2.40 that would otherwise be going to Crit/DH. Would that be a worthwhile tradeoff? Or should I reconfigure my manderville stats to get rid of that tiny bit of SkSp and triangulate to 2.45 from there?

I looked at the balance but all their setups seem to include some mix of ascension gear and I'm not getting into savage this round at least, so maybe it doesn't even matter that my GCD isn't perfect?

If you're not bothering with savage you shouldn't bother with a perfect GCD. Just equip full credendum and meld crit>direct hit>determination.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I will say one thing for the 2.x era story quests, they do lay the foundation for good story and are important even if in the moment it really feels like treading water

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

God Hole posted:

If you care about maximizing DPS, SS > DH until you reach your specific breakpoint. Don't sacrifice crit.

Also use food as necessary.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
If you're not doing savage, no one cares enough about maintaining buff windows consistently enough to worry about fitting your GCDs into those windows. You'll get a little bit in extreme trials but that's still pretty hit or miss.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Also the optimal skill speed breakpoints assume you're perfectly hitting your gcd with no gaps for two minutes. If that does not approximately describe you, it doesn't matter if you're 2.44 or 2.45 or whatever

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Mr. Nice! posted:

If you care about maximizing DPS, SS > DH until you reach your specific breakpoint. Don't sacrifice crit.

Also use food as necessary.

huh, pretty much every setup they have on the balance is heavy on DH, like almost exclusively so.

I guess a better way to put it is that I currently have no plans or drive to do any current tier savage raiding but if I happen to get invited I prob won't say no and so it would be nice to have everything in order.

I've been doing a lot of DRS lately and I don't think I have any issues hitting burst windows even in full haste gear

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
The other thing is that fflogs doesn’t differentiate parses by item level like wow does, so if you’re not actual bis you won’t parse well regardless

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

The reason that Tanks/Healers meld a lot of DH is that, in general, you want to prioritize Crit while keeping DH and Det about equal (accounting for breakpoints). Tanks/Healers get no DH on their gear by default, so they'll prefer to meld DH over Det, but not over Crit or reaching their speed targets.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

God Hole posted:

huh, pretty much every setup they have on the balance is heavy on DH, like almost exclusively so.
The BiS gearsets they have for 6.5x, I'm looking at the 2.50s and 2.45s GCD lists, have critical hit as the main stat on most of the gear and the Skill Speed in the 2.45s set is handled by gear + one Skill Speed materia. If you don't have access to Ascension gear via current Savage fights then you make due with what you can. For your gear I'd stay at 2.44s GCD and max out crit > DH > determination as well as you can.

Damage requirements don't truly matter outside of early week Savage clears, which are done in mostly crafted gear, and current Ultimates so you shouldn't worry too much about trying to match BiS lists. The important thing is making sure you can do your opener/burst windows properly and generally getting comfortable with the level of fights you're doing. Trials, normal raids, and alliance raids don't have damage requirements outside of a few fights. Extremes do have damage requirements to beat the enrage timer but competent groups can clear without worrying about enrage. More damage does help in terms of making up for deaths and/or bad players though.

Joe Chip
Jan 4, 2014

iPodschun posted:

Damage requirements don't truly matter outside of early week Savage clears

I've only started doing high end content over the past ~6 months but I can attest to this. If you're hitting enrage in Extreme or Savage it's probably not your gear that's the problem. Most of the issues I've seen are early deaths to mechanics or just weak rotations (e.g. 50-60% uptime). Keep that ilvl up obviously but after that BiS isn't going to be the biggest problem you face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zanael
Jan 30, 2007

Finn 3:16 says I just licorice
whipped your peppermint ass

Szarrukin posted:

I really didn't like ARR Hildibrand at all until the last two quests maybe, nor did I found it funny, which is weird because I grew up on looney tunes and 80s japanese comedy anime like kimengumi and it's not too far off those. I stopped mid the ARR storyline a few years ago and didn't touch it until it was mandatory for the EW relic.
It does get better over time though, even got a chuckle or two from me during the EW quests.