Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Shrimpy posted:

Martian Worker's Rights

It feels like the show had some big budget cuts and that pushed it more towards people drama than "space is trying to kill you" drama.

And a way less interesting exploration of this idea than The Expanse, which did way more with it, more interestingly, for longer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

I'm 4 episodes deep into Fringe and does it evolve beyond "X years ago, I worked on Y project for Z people. Now it's back" ?

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Fate Accomplice posted:

I'm 4 episodes deep into Fringe and does it evolve beyond "X years ago, I worked on Y project for Z people. Now it's back" ?

Yes. The first season is a little patchy in quality but it's somewhere in the top 10 of my all time favourite shows.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

Fate Accomplice posted:

Yes, but a lot of S1 is like that. Unless you hate it, keep going.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Fate Accomplice posted:

Yes and no? That's basically the premise of the show but they start doing it in bigger and better ways.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Octy posted:

Yes. The first season is a little patchy in quality but it's somewhere in the top 10 of my all time favourite shows.

BetterLekNextTime posted:

Yes, but a lot of S1 is like that. Unless you hate it, keep going.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Yes and no? That's basically the premise of the show but they start doing it in bigger and better ways.

appreciate it! the number of projects this guy worked means each took him like 3 days tops.

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.

Xealot posted:

And a way less interesting exploration of this idea than The Expanse, which did way more with it, more interestingly, for longer.

I know The Expanse is supposed to be excellent, but I tried watching the first episode and couldn't get past Thomas Jane's hat.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
what in tarnation

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Shrimpy posted:

I know The Expanse is supposed to be excellent, but I tried watching the first episode and couldn't get past Thomas Jane's hat.

I bounced off the first season of The Expanse like three times before I just made myself sit through it so I wouldn't miss any significant story. Once it hit season two I found it really enjoyable.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

Shrimpy posted:

lol

I have started rewatching 'Ash vs. Evil Dead'. Super campy and cartoonish. Bruce Campbell is hilarious. Not one of the best shows ever made....but certainly one of the most fun.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Wait until you find out about Brisco County Jr

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

Watched a couple of episodes of Deadloch. I love a good crime story but making every personage around the protagonist extremely dumb is not the pinacle of comedy.

Monstaland fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jan 28, 2024

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

magiccarpet posted:

Wait until you find out about Brisco County Jr

Brisco is fun, but there's less Bruce Campbell getting fake blood splattered at him at high velocity

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

Just finished up Griselda.
It's from the team behind Narcos and, well, it obviously follows their general "show about a drug lord" formula. Not high art by any means, but hell, it's a formula that works for me.
I enjoyed the warm tones of Miami and Colombia (a nice alternative to the local gloomy weather) and in general I think the show just looks good, nice use of film grain too.
Sofia Vergara is great as the titular Griselda Blanco, she pulls off a dramatic role well! (I'll admit I didn't really recognize anyone else besides Vanessa Ferlito but that's par for the course with Narcos-universe stuff)

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

RestingB1tchFace posted:

lol

I have started rewatching 'Ash vs. Evil Dead'. Super campy and cartoonish. Bruce Campbell is hilarious. Not one of the best shows ever made....but certainly one of the most fun.

It is amazing how each episode builds to a crescendo.of preposterous gore. The effects team for that show was positively amazing.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.

Shrimpy posted:

Holden feels the same way about the hat.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Almost to the end of Scavenger's Reign and it's been fantastic. Between it and Blue Eye Samurai it's been a great month for animated shows.

Thank you thread for the recommendations on both.

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

The Curse. A show about a show about two terrible people trying to gentrify a neighborhood and then make money off of it via an HGTV type flipping program. Every moment, in true Nathan Fielder/Safdie tradition is tense and unnerving, even something so simple like the second episode opening scene showing a positive pregnancy test is filled with dread and anxiety. Emma Stone kills in this role, as does the Safdie bro (can't remember which one) and Fielder himself. Loved seeing Corbin Bernsen as the dad. Grim and unflinching. Loving it

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana posted:

The Curse. A show about a show about two terrible people trying to gentrify a neighborhood and then make money off of it via an HGTV type flipping program. Every moment, in true Nathan Fielder/Safdie tradition is tense and unnerving, even something so simple like the second episode opening scene showing a positive pregnancy test is filled with dread and anxiety. Emma Stone kills in this role, as does the Safdie bro (can't remember which one) and Fielder himself. Loved seeing Corbin Bernsen as the dad. Grim and unflinching. Loving it

Im watching it slowly because is often so uncomfortable to watch

They both are awful people and at the same time so so embarrassing

Sometimes the cringe I feel for them is almost physical

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

Shrimpy posted:

It keeps the rain off his head!

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

"It's pretty bad, isn't it? I know it's pretty bad. Ever since I can remember..."

RestingB1tchFace posted:

lol

This was my same experience with The Expanse. I also didn't like Thomas Jane's character or his hat for quite awhile.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

drat Jane Cobb for setting such a high bar for spacefaring hats.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
I kinda wanna watch the Portuguese gremlins movie from Community.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Expanse S1 is much better if you rewatch it right away. Just so much happening from the jump

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
absolutely insane takes itt re: millerhat

moosferatu
Jan 29, 2020

magiccarpet posted:

Expanse S1 is much better if you rewatch it right away. Just so much happening from the jump

I'd believe that. I wasn't enjoying the show at all from the start, especially Jane's character, but it really grows on you. Look back really fondly on the whole season now.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023
Miller needs to earn your love as a character more than almost anyone else. He's as old school as the show could possibly have a character and them not be a time traveller, and he's a massive prick to everyone.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
if it helps i think most of the characters that meet Miller think his hat is ridiculous too.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!
Turns out that the belters were just pissed off about the hat.

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

uber_stoat posted:

if it helps i think most of the characters that meet Miller think his hat is ridiculous too.

In the books, and only really partially explained in the show, they tell you his former partner gave it to him so he wouldn't "lose his head" and that he also wears it to thumb his nose at Belters who hate Earthers. the hat has friggin' LORE

EDIT : he also uses it to stash poo poo in when he's searched since nobody tends to look there

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.

Monstaland posted:

Watched a couple of episodes of Deadloch. I love a good crime story but making every personage around the protagonist extremely dumb is not the pinacle of comedy.

I don’t see them as extremely dumb, they are just very into the minutiae of small town drama and day-to-day life, and this is completely at odds with the very serious investigation that Dulcie is trying to put together.

It’s kinda the whole drive of the comedy of the show, “what if broadchurch was a set in an artsy small town full of dorks who never grasped how serious everything is getting”.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Somehow my wife and I have never seen Curb Your Enthusiasm before, despite both of us appreciating tightly written sitcoms, and my family and I watching Seinfeld in the '90s, back when MOST television shows were awful.

We started our binge in mid-December, when my winter break began, and two nights ago, we made it past the six-year hiatus to season 9, released in 2017. We will definitely be caught up in time to watch at least part of the final season as it airs.

It's pretty, pretty, pret-tay, pret-tay good.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Curb Your Enthusiasm….appreciating tightly written sitcoms

???

Curb is largely improv

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

So now me and my partner have included The Incredible Pol Farm into our rotation and goddamn, starting a farm looks EXPENSIVE as HELL...but really fun.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Fate Accomplice posted:

???

Curb is largely improv

I know, and it's some of the funniest improv I've ever seen, when improv comedy too often falls flat. (Anyone who has loyally gone to support friends performing live improv comedy shows can attest to that.)

I didn't realize Curb would rely so heavily on improv when we started, but it is so polished and seamless, I would rank it up there with some of the funniest, most entertaining sitcoms ever, like Arrested Development (before it ended the first time and they had to revive it), 30 Rock, Childrens Hospital, and Party Down, all of which relied on tight writing as much or more than the acting and cast chemistry.

CarlosTheDwarf
Jun 1, 2001
Up shit creek.

Robobot posted:

I've been watching through Community. Boy, it really fell off a cliff after season 2. I'm a bit into season 4 (I gave up in season 3 when it was airing) and I'm surprised it managed to keep going. This is just...odd.

People say season 6 is good because Dan Harmon returned. I thought it was the worst season of all. 3>4>5>6

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Wrong

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Started watching Northern Exposure on Prime. It seems like it's trying to be a sitcom, and another Twin Peaks at the same time.

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005
I just finished Obliterated on Netflix. I found it hilarious. It's like a mixture of Weekend at Bernie's, the hangover and the TV show 24

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

MightyJoe36 posted:

Started watching Northern Exposure on Prime. It seems like it's trying to be a sitcom, and another Twin Peaks at the same time.

yeah it's more like "aren't small towns funny" vs "aren't small towns scary" - a solid sitcom with a fun cast