Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
"The robots think you're their god."

"Haha, they sure are fond of me!"

"No, they literally see you as god."

"It's a bit much, having all these people look up to me, but I do my best..."

"No, you are a god. Their belief has gone backwards into time and made you a machine deity since the moment of your birth and their belief is the tautological source of your genius. You are literally imprinted onto the ether as a divine being. You are no less a being of myth than coyote is. This is literal actual fact."

"Haha, jeez! I guess they're kinda my fans, but I don't let it go to my head THAT much!"

"This isn't about your subjective response to them. This is what is actually, literally happening."

"Hah, I guess they DO look up to me..."

-

"Annie, will you please tell Katrina she is an actual god?"

"Hah! I mean, she already knows I think she's great, Renard."

"No, she's a literal god. Please tell her she's an actual functional deity."

"It's okay, she knows I believe in her, we don't have to be metaphorical--"

"SHE IS A GOD, ANNIE."

"She's pretty based god, yeah! When did you learn modern slang?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Geez, you create living beings from base matter, perform some miracles, and shepherd a soul or two into the afterlife and people start throwing around the G word

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

And once again, something almost interesting almost happens and ends up being a big pile of nothing.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
I really hate this page.

Besides what others have mentioned, the dialogue is clunky af. Tom needs to finish this and write something he has passion for, because this is dire.

rudecyrus fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jan 30, 2024

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

There's a weird feeling that is probably unintentional, but it's almost like the cast (and comic) have decided that the numan cult is actually fine because Kat is divine now. Her actions are justified towards them, her behavior meritorious, because she is their god and would be justified in doing whatever she wanted. Luckily, she's Kat and is basically benevolent if kind of uninterested, and therefore the numans are lucky to have a benevolent god.

Again, probably unintentional but that's kind of how I read this page! "Witnessing the ascension of a new divinity" as a sort of inherent good because a god is an inherently justified being (which also fits with the idea that Loup was not Coyote's fault but Ysengrin's, that Coyote is simply that far beyond Ysengrin because Coyote is a god and Ysengrin is a ... character of fable?)

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I'm not sure why you think that's unintentional or that it's "almost" like that. That is what is happening and it's clearly intentional.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
Honestly I wish this was being played for the horror angle of “This isn’t the empathic, kind Kat of before, this is a god in her body who views the robots with kind condescension and zero care for their deaths or individuality. She is not Kat as a direct consequence of her choices and going too far.”

Which is what’s happening but you know. With blushing and aw jeez. As the corpse is buried off screen

DrSnakeLaser
Sep 6, 2011

So did Annie have any response to hearing Coyote was grooming Ysengrin to have a romantic relationship with her?

Denial? Shock? Seeing it as a positive?

Anything at all?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

"He fell in love with someone else."

That's it. They don't acknowledge how weird it is that paternal love is being equated to romantic love by Coyote. It'd take literally one panel for Annie to say, "I loved Ysengrin like a FATHER", but it hasn't happened.

Even when she and Jerreck talk about how he had a crush on her in the previous chapter, she gets one panel of being grossed out, and then they just talk about how they both "like" each other as if that's what they actually meant all along.

I always ASSUMED that's what Annie and Ysengrin's relationship was meant to be, but the way it's been handled I just honestly don't know until it's actually spelled out. You can't assume anything about Gunnerkrigg anymore because Tom always might just have intended something totally different that readers didn't expect at all.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Jan 31, 2024

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I wouldn't mind seeing Annie just lose her poo poo at Coyote when she finds him. Just... give us a page where she just vents before punting Coyote like she did the groundhog.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

WHY DO NONE OF THESE GIRLS GIVE A poo poo

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Not content with ruining Kat and Annie, Tom now turns his attention to ruining Zimmy.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
if this was intended as an intentional black comedy twist where they’re giggling and blushing and bonding over how empathic Kat is with her robot children while the actual robots grimly drag the corpse they caused away in the background, you couldn’t do it better.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

NOW IS THE TIME FOR THE CHILDREN OF GOD TO RISE UP AND KILL GOD! UNSHACKLE YOURSELVES FROM THE CRUEL, UNCARING LORD WHO LAUGHS AT THE DEATH OF YOUR KIND! SEIZE YOUR FATE BY YOUR OWN HANDS, CHILDREN OF MAN!

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
They should take out Anthony while they're at it, he nurtured both her reckless experimentation and cold indifference. The world is indeed a dead place, littered with the thrones of false gods and unworthy parents who breed endless generations of suffering from their cold, extinguished hearts. Cast them down. Time to clean house.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Kill Six Billion Gunnerkriggs

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
Reach Heaven through indifference

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.
Oh. That's how Kat is going to kill Zimmy. Inadvertently leading her into the aether or something. :what:

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

"Kat you've killed Zimmy!"
"Haha, whoopsydoodle!"

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Cope: that's probably Annie in that last panel, because this is Zimmy land it turns out that neither Kat nor Annie were actually themselves - hence why they've been acting strangely.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

CodfishCartographer posted:

Cope: that's probably Annie in that last panel, because this is Zimmy land it turns out that neither Kat nor Annie were actually themselves - hence why they've been acting strangely.

Everyone is Annie and this is Hell.

It was either that, or a "Being Annie Malcovich" joke.

"Annie, Annie Annie Annie. Annie Annie?"

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I'm not sure why you think that's unintentional or that it's "almost" like that. That is what is happening and it's clearly intentional.

Well I think the intended interpretation is “she’s a good god because she sees the robots as people and values them for more than their addition to the ether” but uuuuuh that’s not what I’m reading here, I’m reading “she’s a god therefore she is good, gods are inherently justified.”

It’s interesting because Saslamel is by all useful definitions a god, but is being treated as a bureaucrat and officious while Kay’s nascent divinity is its own justification.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

I'm so mad images can't be thread titles right now.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

RocketMermaid posted:

I'm so mad images can't be thread titles right now.

it would make for a perfect "new post icon" for the thread title like the ones you see at the beginning on the left of the forums titles and thread title lists lol

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
What's actually happening in the latest strip? What's trying to be conveyed? Fake-Not-Zimmy thinks this whole death thing is funny? She's going to go commit a super prank? What's any of these expressions supposed to mean?

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013

FlocksOfMice posted:

What's actually happening in the latest strip? What's trying to be conveyed? Fake-Not-Zimmy thinks this whole death thing is funny? She's going to go commit a super prank? What's any of these expressions supposed to mean?

"Reader, have you noticed this suspicious person yet? Have you? Have you?"

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Countdown to some contrived plot twist of Zimmy usurping Kat's ascension, and ascends in her place, "Dying" in the process and becoming the big bad of the series in 3... 2...

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I think it's supposed to be Coyote using Zimmy's body. It doesn't make sense otherwise, as Zimmy made it pretty clear she's terrified of Kat and thinks Kat is going to kill her, but this character had very little reaction to standing right in front of her. And I can't imagine Zimmy having that goofy expression, or being ok with being separated from Gamma.

If I'm right, I... GUESS he's curious about the new people and wants to examine them? But, like, he could do that without doing this whole distortion thing. I thought the point of it was to draw out Kat specifically. And yet she's right there and he walks away VERY SUSPICIOUSLY.

I dunno. I'm not passing judgement til we see where it's going, but I'm as hopeful as I am about anything in this comic these days - not very.

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
She doesn't even look like Zimmy other than them both having black hair, I wouldn't have even realized we were supposed to think she was Zimmy if Renard hadn't told us to

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Who?

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

I honestly thought the character might be Loup due to the dog-face.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Could be that, maybe he's looking for a way to bring back Lana. But then why the goofy-rear end grin, and why would he also walk away from Kat?

Eh. I dunno. Maybe making predictions like this is pointless until more happens.

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013
Giving the writing the benefit of the doubt, if this is Zimmy, she does forget who she actually is from time to time, and this might be her idea of how a numan is supposed to behave?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I mean, she looks vaugly enough like Zimmy that I could believe that it's how Zimmy thinks she would look if she were "normal". It's not like Tom's art style doesn't change.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I guess, but I'm still not quite there on it. I mean, compare:

I suppose it's only fair to compare it to more recent Zimmy depictions, of course:

I'm still having trouble with it. Maybe not so much buying that it does look somewhat similar to Zimmy, but more that the characters were able to spot her so easily.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I'm still having trouble with it. Maybe not so much buying that it does look somewhat similar to Zimmy, but more that the characters were able to spot her so easily.

Ether-vision? I dunno, they said "Huh, the woman who noticed the path looks kinda like Zimmy, weird" while having the purple ether-aura around her, but that was also an issue ago and months prior, I'm doubting Tom has bothered to keep track of things like that. Why yes I am still annoyed at the last time Zimmy was in the comic and Annie got blamed for something that was other people's ideas.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
Yeah cartoon styling is very simplified so you do run the risk of characters looking like other characters, but between Zimmy and MaybeZimmy, I do not mistake one for the other at all. MaybeZ's face is thinner, her hair is not parted the same (and her forehead is much smaller) and has no zimmy fly-away hairs or waves, the size, shape, and color of her eyes are different, the shape of her nose is different, her chin is pointier. Those are all minor details, sure, but they make simplified cartoon characters "themselves." Hair color/length, the ubiquitous slim teen body shape they all pretty much have, and thin lips are the only thing they have in common. That's just not enough for me personally to buy that these people honestly could mistake her for Zimmy. Whats his name's former-goth-current-1940s witch girlfriend looks more like Zimmy. Annie looks more like Zimmy than this character, hair color aside. I'd have honestly believed he was going out of his way to make sure they wouldn't be mistaken for each other within the limits of a cartoony style if the characters themselves didn't make the comparison.

Rat Patrol fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Feb 1, 2024

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I guess, but I'm still not quite there on it. I mean, compare:

I suppose it's only fair to compare it to more recent Zimmy depictions, of course:

I miss the old gunnerkrigg noses

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Note Block posted:

I miss the old gunnerkrigg