Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JonBolds
Feb 6, 2015

I really like the new dog people, LA Andramania. They didn't seem very exciting, just hilarious, until I noticed that they are all Size 4. They are like 400-500lb/180-250kg dog people. Decent Fire/Earth/Astral/Nature spellcasting.

This makes them both exciting and hilarious because you can recruit an army of giant doghead people with spears and shields, crossbows, or greatswords and they all count as animals to cast nature magic buff spells on. The spear/shield soldiers have formation fighting so they can fit three giant dog-men in one square. They literally dogpile.

Their sacred is vegan greatsword dogs and their better casters are also sacreds. I tried to do like a +Penetration +Range sacred thing with the casters and it's... just okay. Honestly I find it hard to see if this has any real effect. Felt more like I should just have done some standard buff stuff or made the greatsword dogs giant or whatever. Any tips here? Assume I am familiar with game mechanics in passing but have played very little.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
You can do perfectly fine without a blessing for the vegedogs.

Larger works fine on them, and helps your sacred mages too. I think they're best used to fill a niche your nation lacks. Having truesight is nice on them because you have a tough time getting units with access to it otherwise.

I wouldn't bother with direct stats or resistances, but if you're taking higher magic on your pretender for some purpose, there's a couple of blesses they'd like. Awareness is decent for keeping your defense score up against harrasment for 3 bless points . For 8-9 points, having 4-5 points of undying + enchanted blood combo is good value on units that suffer attrition from ranged enemies during expansion (although it's inferior to other blesses in melee), and keeps your expensive sacred mages from getting deleted by a random fireball (enchanted blood lets you recover from negative hp at the end of a battle). Don't sacrifice too much scales for this, though. Do take enough candle to make a bunch of sacreds if you do take a bless for them.

IthilionTheBrave
Sep 5, 2013
How does Yomi fare in D6? About the same as 5? I've always had a soft spot for that nation for some reason.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

IthilionTheBrave posted:

How does Yomi fare in D6? About the same as 5? I've always had a soft spot for that nation for some reason.

Chaos power goes up to 5 now, magic weapons is now an incarnate bless so your ghost forms aren't as easily countered, and the "does triple damage to deamons" flail that instagibbed Dai Oni in 5 doesn't work like that anymore.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
How do I set the turn interval on a server if I use the new illwinter server to host the game? I don't see it anywhere in the game options. Or is that something I have to set once the game starts?

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

my kinda ape posted:

How do I set the turn interval on a server if I use the new illwinter server to host the game? I don't see it anywhere in the game options. Or is that something I have to set once the game starts?

ya after the game starts the person who made it can click on game administration and set host the timer using the host schedule button

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

wait hold up why is veganism a mechanic in this game

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
There's no mechanic, it's just a description

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Tulip posted:

wait hold up why is veganism a mechanic in this game

It's just the description on a specific warrior-monk. Also they're vegetarian.

Dayton Sports Bar
Oct 31, 2019
I mean, some of the supply bonuses on units and pretenders have always made me a tad leery, culinarily speaking.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Oh, and Heroism is a very good all-rounder bless on any nation with sacred mages and sacred troops that you expect to survive a battle or two.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
My personal favorite is the new fire bless that makes surviving sacreds super angry when someone close by bites it. Must make nations with big hordes of cheap sacreds a nightmare to fight.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

A decent video about monster Pretenders, and expanders in general, associated magic and abilities, etc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoCX6eEsdJs

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

Hypothetical: you're up against MA Tien Chi. They have recruited nothing but Imperial Geomancers, and rushed to research Gifts from Heaven and Thaum 1 for communions. After they hit that target, every geomancer immediately became a combat unit. Their armies are heavy infantry (set to hold and attack, plus a few bodyguards) and archers, and they have 3 of those backed by 10+ Geomancers each. You're not sure what their pretender is, but they have positive scales, and you know this player likes using their god to sitesearch.

You do not have Caelian flying infantry or batmen. How do you counter this play?

hypothetical because the player is me, and I just discovered that MA gifts communions are still very good. I want to give advice to another less experienced player who will probably have trouble if I play this vs them.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
I remember trying this once, and the main counter-strategy is your own hubris, revealed when one too many enemy units get too close to your mages and they start dropping asteroids on their own heads.

It also helps to avoid using huge, ungainly rectangles, as those are basically walking targets for big combat spells.

Another possible counter would be to concentrate on spells that make the mages tired, so the communion explodes itself after a hile.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Turin Turambar posted:

A decent video about monster Pretenders, and expanders in general, associated magic and abilities, etc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoCX6eEsdJs

Lucid was covering Ulm here, and while it was overall a very nice summation of monster pretenders there was sadly a fairly cool detail missed in regards to the Linnormr - which is a shame, since it's a pretty unique PG chassis (or more specifically, the following related PG is). Lucid kept thinking that it had some sort of human form like the majority of the dragons, but the actual Dom 2 Linnormr choice doesn't. Instead, it's the Dom 1 Svartalf Mastersmith that can transform into a Linnormr. And it's a shame that he missed it in the discussion, because the Svartalf having access to the far lower +20 pts for an extra magic path means you can mix and match multiple additional paths easily enough for more buffs of your choice. Something actual Dom 2 monsters generally have great difficulty doing, given they're paying +80 per extra path off their starting ones.

I'd also argue that starting with E1G1 (the Svartalf) is likely better than W1D1 (the actual Linnormr) for early combat usage purposes, but everyone's going to have opinions on the various path buffs.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

avoraciopoctules posted:

Hypothetical: you're up against MA Tien Chi. They have recruited nothing but Imperial Geomancers, and rushed to research Gifts from Heaven and Thaum 1 for communions. After they hit that target, every geomancer immediately became a combat unit. Their armies are heavy infantry (set to hold and attack, plus a few bodyguards) and archers, and they have 3 of those backed by 10+ Geomancers each. You're not sure what their pretender is, but they have positive scales, and you know this player likes using their god to sitesearch.

You do not have Caelian flying infantry or batmen. How do you counter this play?

hypothetical because the player is me, and I just discovered that MA gifts communions are still very good. I want to give advice to another less experienced player who will probably have trouble if I play this vs them.

Earthquake casters. Mass-flight to get everyone in a big scrum so the gifts from heaven start landing on the caster's heads. All the skellingtons until the geomancers blow up their communion slaves. Growing fury so the casters go berserk. Seduce the geomancers before the battle. Mind duel.

AmishSpecialForces
Jul 1, 2008
Trying EAAtlantis to see if I can make their super heavy armor sacreds work with a full hell bless. I can, but I wish I just had better scales and an awake pretender. I'm thinking about this as I script my lobster riding wanna be god to teleport onto a land throne for claiming.

Check your pretender descriptions kids, turns out lobster mage, master of his own mortality, hasn't figured out how to breath air.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

sullat posted:

Seduce the geomancers before the battle.

also my job in real life

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Google Jeb Bush posted:

also my job in real life

Do what you love and you'll never work a day again.

JonBolds
Feb 6, 2015

strike a sexy pose that signals the cardinal directions for maximum effect

my dad posted:

Oh, and Heroism is a very good all-rounder bless on any nation with sacred mages and sacred troops that you expect to survive a battle or two.

See now this plan I love. Hero dog-mages and sword-dogs. Good plan.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Man, blesses are annoying if you don't have an easy third level priest cause you have to script all your little stacks of sacreds so they stay back long enough to get blessed. That being said, my MA Mari game went well anyway though. Beep beep, sacred knights, comin' through.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Panzeh posted:

Man, blesses are annoying if you don't have an easy third level priest cause you have to script all your little stacks of sacreds so they stay back long enough to get blessed. That being said, my MA Mari game went well anyway though. Beep beep, sacred knights, comin' through.

The AI agrees, given the poor job they do in blessing its sacreds.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Panzeh posted:

The benefit of heroism (and larger) is that it's always on, no need for tedious blessing by fragile priests.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
I was trying out Muspelheim, and because I was disappointed in their lineup of pretender chassis, I decided to take the Father of Winters out of spite.

First try: Chill Aura, it gives cold resistance, and the two auras don't -directly- cancel each other out. Conclusion: doesn't really help the giants much at all, and it can actively make your expansion worse if your Muspel Herse or others bless themselves and end up fatiguing Muspel Huskarl or Hirdman, both of which are more expensive and considerably better skilled than the Jotun alternative. I also liked composing my expansion party of a single Muspel Giant mixed in with some Muspel Jotuns to bring their aura to the game, so I ended up pretty actively fatiguing my own troops. I could work around but why bother?

Second try, serious but still spiteful: Dormant Father of Winters. Air Four, Water 5, Dom5, O2P2C2G1F1M0 with shock resistance, defense skill, and Awareness. Upon first impressions this was much more functional. Something like 26 provinces by turn 24. I could do better whether with practice, better planned expansion parties, or a different pretender but this at least works.

For such a cheap bless, Awareness is pretty good on giants although it doesn't doesn't hold a candle to the traditional incarnate blesses. While the -2 surround is practically nothing for thugs, it is about twice as useful as a single defense bless for a giant frontline, mixed with jotuns or not, more or less eliminating the average 3v1 harass penalty. Contrary to my expectations, Muspel Giants have notably higher defense skill than Niefel Giants, though they lack the equivalent of Ice Protection and have less reliable access to their Fire Power. I don't know concretely how much this contributed to my survival/affliction rate since my first idiot bless was counterproductive, but it's something I'll consider again if I have very large sacred troops but don't expect to be focusing on the commanders. Muspel Giant/Jarl protection also remains constant despite temperature scales.

Finally, Muspel gets a small discount on the sacred Gloso, that heat aura 3, size 4, poisonous bite & trample boar. Basically same as Niefel other than the cost, and still have Brood of Garm and Jotun Draugur. Maybe bless-worthy? The overhaul to the size system means I'm going to have to review what trample means. There's quite a few unit sizes that surprise me. Like most winged recruits are size four, but Xibalba is size 3. And I can't think of any Muspel units/summons that would fit fewer to a square, I don't see the strength boost mattering much, though the hp boost might meet some break points for regen depending on which unit I'm looking at. And thanks to the way the bless points are calculated, I could easily afford on an awake Monolith with heat 1.

In general, I have thoughts but no experience to throw at them yet. I don't feel they're quite as awkward as I was led to believe, but I think I'll start seriously missing Abysia's heat+3 spell Hellscape. Every Muspel Jarl is capable of casting Breath of the Desert for a measly five gems so it's not like I'm completely out of luck, and more of the pretender chassis come with water than fire, oddly enough. Looking forward to a mod that expands their roster a bit, there's not a single new chassis (that Niefel doesn't have as well) in the bunch not even the obvious Son of Niefel Muspel or a Gloso-themed boar instead of the Son of Fenrer or a suped up or undead version of a muspelgygja/dottir.

AmishSpecialForces
Jul 1, 2008
That sounds like a bless I tried with the fire giants except swap lighting resist for heroism. It effectively boosts their defense even higher for cheaper than a straight defense bless. Yeah, you have to wait for it, but a fun side effect is the sacred commanders I was using to move armies around all got into the hall of Fame with the attendant heroic ability pretty quick.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Take an imprisoned geyser with 9 candles, max out order, production, and magic, and cook something up from there.

Awareness is very good, 5 points of cold resist are a good thing to have in your cold scales but more is overkill, truesight is needed because Ubar is bullshit, and so are the elves, and having some heroism is never bad. Use spare points on whatever else you want.

Don't prophetize your scout, you don't want a flammable prophet.
Don't expand with your starting army, you'll need them for something else. Make Muspel Giants instead. 4 of them under the command of one of your holy 1 leader guys, plus 2-3 regular giant bodyguards to prevent indies from flanking (these will come from your starting army, make a few extra only when needed), and you can expand into most things. You'll send out your first party on turn 2, your second on turn 4, and depending on which provinces you conquer soon you'll be able to get 1 expo party every turn, maybe as early as turn 5 if you find a good farm. You'll figure out what you can't expand into if you test, the list is quite short.

Unless the map seriously fucks you over, this should get you 25+ provinces by turn 12 alongside multiple forts under construction.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
Going to restart, maybe try out your suggestions- but what I need to figure out is my plan after expansion. Kind of wasted a lot of research time manually site searching and while I've got the gems I've got nobody capable of doing anything interesting. I may relegate site searching entirely to non-cap mages.

Muspel Herse - H1, 180 Gold, 100 leadership, 1 commander point. My preferred leader for an expansion party, he actually has better combat stats than the Muspel Gode. Four more protection, two more attack, and one more defense. Even without heroism, quite likely to end up in the hall of heroes.
Muspel Gode - H2F1?1, 260 Gold, 60 leadership, 2 commander points, 9 research at 104 gold a year. My default capital recruit, it's actually your most cost-effective researcher thanks to sacred. All three randoms are useful (air, death, fire).
Muspelgygja - 355 gold, not sacred, 15 research at 284 gold a year. I recruited them when I could, but I really should have focused them on research until I got a second fort/good indie mage (found four). Muspeldottir might have been a decent
Muspeldottir - I skipped these since I could recruit anywhere, but they're halfway between the muspelgygja and Gode in research cost and power. I might focus more on these commanders once I figure out my research goals and deadlines.
Muspel Jarl - What's to say other then a kickass giant commander? My bless didn't help them much and my research was pathetic (my own fault) so they were at risk of dying to chip damage. Got one for my prophet.

Going to dive back in after some sleep, but this time my plan will go beyond step one to even include a step two. If I'm ambitious, I may even include a step three or four.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
LA TC has some sick cav, was more impressed by the performance of the relatively cheap cav than the skelespam setup i was using.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.
Are there any scenarios where putting an incarnate bless on an asleep or imprisoned pretender is worth it?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Jabarto posted:

Are there any scenarios where putting an incarnate bless on an asleep or imprisoned pretender is worth it?

If you don't have any particularly great non-incarnate options but picked up some cheap paths, dormant pretenders come online in time for suddenly beefier sacreds to be relevant to actual fights rather than just expansion.

Imprisoned, not really so much.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
There are a few niche uses. If you have really good sacred summons, or if you don't need a big bless for expansion and want to leverage your sacreds for specific ability counters that don't need to come online for expansion. Now that magic weapons are an incarnate bless that might actually be relevant, although there's also the combined fire & shock resist earth bless (noticeably cheaper than stacking 2x fire and 2x shock, and you probably don't care about having them for the first year.)

a computing pun
Jan 1, 2013
I think I disagree.* There are a decent number of circumstances where imprisoned/incarnate is usable. some blesses are potentially useful earlygame, if you happen to run into the thing they counter, but won't really shine until the midgame when other players start bringing out powerful battlemagic: blood vengeance, earth's incarnate fire/shock res, magic weapons, potentially others. Some nations don't have the right recruitable sacreds to go with a bless but do have good summonable sacreds that it's not practical to get too many of before an imprisoned god wakes (e.g, Shinuyama's tengu, Marverni's boars). And sometimes (particularly if you have good non-sacred options) you're just in a position to risk a weaker earlygame and hope to make it through to a strong mid-late game; particularly doable if you take a bless with an incarnate and a non-incarnate component.

*e: with the statement that imprisoned incarnates are bad

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
a sleepy incarnate bless is fine if you want the incarnate part for killing enemy gamers instead of for killing indies. like probably fine on nidavangr since their regular non sacred guys clear indies like nothing but struggle against other players, while their sacreds are better if you recruit them after a while spent preaching/blood saccing on their cap to get more candles

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!
curiosity re: expansion chat: what indie strength are people running in mp? i'm usually playing at indie strength 5 in sp, which can be a little rough on expansion parties if they aren't pretty krunk.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Has anyone fired up an LP? I'm kind of jonesing for one ngl

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

curiosity re: expansion chat: what indie strength are people running in mp? i'm usually playing at indie strength 5 in sp, which can be a little rough on expansion parties if they aren't pretty krunk.

I think 4 is the standard.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
Yeah 4 is the default, which seems a little beefier than Dom5?

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

lol, one of my (Guhyaka) generals is diseased, has battle fright, has lost an eye, and has had both of his arms chopped off. The enemy keeps sending assassins to finish the job but he just kicks them all to death.

e; forgot he has a chest wound as well.

Pipski fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jan 31, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Pipski posted:

lol, one of my (Guhyaka) generals is diseased, has battle fright, has lost an eye, and has had both of his arms chopped off. The enemy keeps sending assassins to finish the job but he just kicks them all to death.

You forgot :black101: