Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Some Guy TT posted:

the whole discourse about sex work these days is genuinely baffling because theyre basically trying to make modern sex work sound like people in the gigi era made courtesan work sound but since so much sex work discourse is based around presentist condescension about how awful people in the old days were any similarities make these educated lib typs super defensive since the only way to resolve that particular contradiction is by analyzing the materialist circumstances any given sex worker in any time period labors under rather than just assuming every sex worker is a part of a uniform class with fundamentally identically motivations

No, sometimes we still get stories about pious types trying to redeem sex workers so they get into literal heaven and this is treated as progressive because it's a singing cartoon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
What I'm saying is Hazbin Hotel is dumb trash, though this is probably not a shock.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

skooma512 posted:

I'm actually happy for Universal they didn't make any movies with those retro monster characters.

Like how threadbare does your creativity have to be that you desperately need a cinematic universe to maybe get a piece of the Marvel pie, that you resort to rebooting a cinematic crossover universe from the loving 1950s? At least the comic book poo poo was still going since then, nobody cares about the Wolfman.

To argue back against this: a long time ago in one of the movie greenlight threads, people were trashing the latest movie adaptation of a videogame. But one poster argued that wasn't the problem - the videogame (or 50s monster in this case) is just a property to hang a set of movies on, a central idea that needn't matter at all. It's not like videogames have deep plots and intricate storytelling, and so you're just taking a small idea and building 90% of a movie around it. And so, maybe Universal could have started from a pulpy set of 50s monsters and created a franchise almost despite the base property.

In practice, Universal just seemed to think calling it a cinematic universe was job done, and waited for the viewers to show up.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

there are probably thousands of decent scrips starring the classic monsters lining the ol circular file because they don't leave room for them to all meet each other and team up to fight whatever super monster

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

also horror audiences are by far the most tolerant of short run times and basic effects. no reason universal couldn't pump out a dozen monster movies for the cost of one marvel shitheap

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Speaking of Tom Bombadil, the Andy Serkis narrated audiobooks for LotR are great and he really sells how loving annoying it would be to listen to Bombadil

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Even if they did want to go a more action way they could of tried to do a remake of the much beloved 1999 The Mummy. A fun slightly campy adventure thing with slight horror tones. Even gives you the start of a hero team with an ex military adventure guy with a slightly shady past and a librarian for research, and it's even set in the 1920's. Slightly late for some of the universal monsters but a period that could work pretty well.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Dracula Untold and The Mummy makes it seem like they were intent on turning them into conventional superheroes. Which feels like it really miss the appeal of the characters and their genre.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

the milk machine posted:

dwight yoakam hollering "gently caress it, i'm gettin the band back together!"

Was Yoakam in SlingPlayer? Lost the thread of conversation.

Liked him in the Crank movies anyway as a hosed up doctor

E: lol leaving the autocorrect

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Some Guy TT posted:

now dont take this the wrong way frosted flake because i love you and youre my pal but when i saw this post i kindof just assumed this was the one that got you the daylong probe and the one you did get the probe for really wrecks the pattern on your rap sheet

Frosted Flake should be posting that in the Succession thread anyways

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I saw nothing creepy in that long long post

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Rincewind doesn't gently caress OR do magic

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

loquacius posted:

Wait

Tom Bombadil fucks. Theory destroyed

there's always room in asceticism for a monk so holy he's allowed to be horny

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Some Guy TT posted:

having appreciation for any part of a show slash movie that isnt just bougie affectations like leo is a good actor because hes hot isnt cringe my friend its a sign that youre comprehending a work as a whole and not as if it was a jangling set of keys

so what im hearing is that its Very Cool that i demand the Succession theme plays during coitus.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

loquacius posted:

Rincewind doesn't gently caress OR do magic

Did the Wizards in Pratchett not gently caress because it messes with their magic, or did they not gently caress because thats how you get Sourcerers?

I haven't read the early books in a very long time and can't remember.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

One More Fat Nerd posted:

Did the Wizards in Pratchett not gently caress because it messes with their magic, or did they not gently caress because thats how you get Sourcerers?

I think they all think it's the first one but it's secretly the second one

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

indigi posted:

well Lalo's extremely sexy. if he wasn't smoking hot he'd come off a lot more like Fring. Michelle Pfeiffer's Catwoman, Tyler Durden, basically any Sharon Stone role. yeah they're likable, as in I'd likable to gently caress them
that's what likable means.

indigi posted:

also no elves don't gently caress except to have a child and the conception rate is 100%. so Celeborn and Galadriel haven't hosed since the year 300 of the Second Age (6k years prior to the events of Lord of the Rings)
no evidence they didn't gently caress other non-elf people

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Galadriel just has a big crowd of dwarves lined up outside her bedroom

Celeborn is a regular at lorien's secret orc bordello

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

The LOTR books are like 70% fantasy genealogies so presumably someone hosed at some point.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

how about frodo climbing intotom bombadils rear end and riding him like a gundam into mordor

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

A Buttery Pastry posted:

are half elves a playable race in any licensed video games or TTRPG?

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

A Buttery Pastry posted:

There are enough half-elven characters in the mythos that you kinda have to assume that they did screw around.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

skooma512 posted:

I'm actually happy for Universal they didn't make any movies with those retro monster characters.

Like how threadbare does your creativity have to be that you desperately need a cinematic universe to maybe get a piece of the Marvel pie, that you resort to rebooting a cinematic crossover universe from the loving 1950s? At least the comic book poo poo was still going since then, nobody cares about the Wolfman.

Good monster movies are amazing. Those original classics from Hollywood's golden age (like Dracula and Frankenstein) are pretty solid.

The problem is that big Hollywood studios seem to find it impossible to make one now.

That reminds me that I should check out the original Lon Chaney Wolfman movie.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

AnimeIsTrash posted:

how about frodo climbing intotom bombadils rear end and riding him like a gundam into mordor

Frodo absolutely does not gently caress

Frodo fucks less than Saruman even

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

I suppose there's a whole argument about how making an effective horror movie while trying to hit the PG-13 sweetspot is incredibly difficult, but I really don't think it's impossible as long as stuff isn't super gory and you manage to avoid using the f-word.

I personally liked the first US remake of the Ring, though. Maybe I'm the nutso one.

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

One More Fat Nerd posted:

It’s the second one. Sourcerers are so powerful they are a danger to themselves and everyone around them. Magic is also pretty much has the same properties as radioactive material, so you don’t want too much of it floating around in an area because it will start contaminating an area like a magic Chernobyl.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Frodo didn't realize that when Galadriel showed him her mirror she was trying to gently caress, because he doesn't gently caress

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

indigi posted:

you can't make movies centered on Frankenstein or Mummy or Jeckyll or Count Chocula on a $300m budget hoping fat Russel Crowe will open your movie to a summer blockbuster take. it's just not gonna happen. but if they made them proper horror/monster movies with a <$50m budget, and took the concepts seriously without a bunch of winky "hmm? hmm? like how you remember from being a kid, yeah?!" asides or overloading them with CG, I bet it could work

e: if something like Voyager of the Demeter was the first movie in what would become a monster universe, it might work?

How was that? It looked like it might be okay but then they used that horrible Smashing Pumpkins cover in the trailer and that really undermined my faith that the movie was made by competent people.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

fraudo "fumble the" baggins

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

fraudo "fumble the" baggins

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't people like that recent invisible man.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

In Training posted:

I looked this up. $7 million production budget(!) and $140+ million in ticket revenues. I know Hollywood accounting is smoke and mirrors in large part, but that has to be considered a success, right?

It got really good reviews.

I'm not sure how this makes a "universe" with all the other weird slop they made, like that Mummy remake.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

In Training posted:

yeah but I think that one was specifically not made with the intention of making it part of the Universal Scary Times Cinematic Universe. or at the very least, it was after The Mummy (2017) bombed so they knew better than to try and make it that at that point.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
the real problem is that the name "frankenstein" has too much baggage nowadays. you've gotta reboot the whole concept, make it like Dr. Aaron's Monster.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

the real problem is that the name "frankenstein" has too much baggage nowadays. you've gotta reboot the whole concept, make it like Dr. Aaron's Monster.

Is it the name? I feel the biggest challenge would be making a compelling looking monster.

And there's probably a Terminator-style problem of how you depict the main compelling parts of the character (hubristic scientist goes too far and makes a miserable monster) without it just being the same drat story over and over again.

EDIT: The original 1931 movie is still pretty good.

Eric Cantonese has issued a correction as of 17:16 on Jan 31, 2024

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

In Training posted:

It was p good. Turns out that doing a low budget horror movie with a competent director who's used to working with low budgets can pay off, who woulda guessed.

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

Eric Cantonese posted:

How was that? It looked like it might be okay but then they used that horrible Smashing Pumpkins cover in the trailer and that really undermined my faith that the movie was made by competent people.
It was crap. Empty characters, bad jump scares, insulting script. Everything in the plot is justified by the crew wanting a bonus for arriving at their destination early, so they progressively go from finding a stowaway, having all their livestock slaughtered, crew seeing Dracula, crew being murdered or surviving with bite wounds, etc and going "no, we can't stop at a port, we need that bonus!"

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

yeah but I think that one was specifically not made with the intention of making it part of the Universal Scary Times Cinematic Universe. or at the very least, it was after The Mummy (2017) bombed so they knew better than to try and make it that at that point.

Yea it wound up being a Blumhouse production instead which was a good fit for that kinda movie

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Knight posted:

It was crap. Empty characters, bad jump scares, insulting script. Everything in the plot is justified by the crew wanting a bonus for arriving at their destination early, so they progressively go from finding a stowaway, having all their livestock slaughtered, crew seeing Dracula, crew being murdered or surviving with bite wounds, etc and going "no, we can't stop at a port, we need that bonus!"
Solution: A stop over in Alexandria on the way from Romania, results in all of them being afflicted with the Mummy's Curse, which can only be cured by returning some McGuffin to Egypt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

i say swears online posted:

someone I used to work with just had a baby and named it Keanu