Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!
This is fun:

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2024/jan/31/taylor-swift-travis-kelce-super-bowl-rightwing-conspiracy-biden

“The Democrats’ Taylor Swift election interference psyop is happening in the open,” Laura Loomer, a strange, Florida-based far-right activist who has described herself as a “proud Islamophobe”, wrote on X.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Explodingdice posted:

Not if Large Marge has her way, she wants it all to herself.

She can’t handle the truth, nor the hog.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver

Seth Pecksniff posted:

August but mostly after Labor Day when people start paying attention to the presidential race

Labor Day representing a day of rest before having to endure the upcoming election season kinda makes Labor Day make sense in TYOOL 2024

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

no worthwhile editor is going to let a journalist get away with a statement as repetitive as "a strange, Florida-based"

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Is she aware that Jordan doesn't share a border with Mexico?

They both use that orange filter in movies, so they must be close by.

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
I’d like one Hunters Hog piled high please

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Roblo posted:

This is fun:

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2024/jan/31/taylor-swift-travis-kelce-super-bowl-rightwing-conspiracy-biden

“The Democrats’ Taylor Swift election interference psyop is happening in the open,” Laura Loomer, a strange, Florida-based far-right activist who has described herself as a “proud Islamophobe”, wrote on X.

It's almost like, and I know this is out there, the conservatives want to lose so they have an excuse to be violent.

I just can't imagine why you'd pick a fight with Taylor Swift fans when you NEED PEOPLE TO LIKE YOU.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

:golfclap:

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

kazil posted:

not saying the poll is right but at what point can we not dismiss polls immediately?

When they start becoming reasonably accurate. So, probably never.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Do we have a polling thread anymore?

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
:<
I dunno about the doomering as the election is about the handful of battleground states and many GOP parties are going bankrupt in them, MI is basically blue now and unless trump can get more electoral votes from some other state I don’t see how he can get enough to win.

I guess there is always a chance that something goes wrong but I don’t see it happening. TRUMP can’t even sell out his big rallies anymore, I usually agree with the idea of not dismissing polls but the midterms showed polling very off with trump and maga having wayyy less impact than people thought.

E: Hunter’s hogs!

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

FWIW

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

In 2022, the polls predicted a Red Wave and then three House seats in Ohio - that weren’t even on anyone’s radar as competitive - flipped to Democrats.

The polls simply aren’t reaching a certain swath of the electorate. We’re heading back to “Dewey Defeats Truman” territory.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

https://twitter.com/NateSilver538/status/1529194725282041862?t=x9LCWd0c3T8h35xtl7riaw&s=19

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I'm having a hard time understanding how a market evaluates a Biden-Trump toss-up, but a Dem lead over the GOP for the office itself.

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

Everyone benefits from a horserace. Trump can claim hes winning, Biden can scare Dems with the threat of Trump winning, and media gets to scream about how close it all is.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009

Just wanna rewind and say I really like that this meme uses a factual description of the people it’s ridiculing instead of the typical name-calling and meaningless labels like 'conservatives'. This is how we win the long game, by not buying into their tribalist framing. More of this please.

ragnarokette
Oct 7, 2021

Lord Packinham posted:

I dunno about the doomering as the election is about the handful of battleground states and many GOP parties are going bankrupt in them, MI is basically blue now and unless trump can get more electoral votes from some other state I don’t see how he can get enough to win.

I guess there is always a chance that something goes wrong but I don’t see it happening. TRUMP can’t even sell out his big rallies anymore, I usually agree with the idea of not dismissing polls but the midterms showed polling very off with trump and maga having wayyy less impact than people thought.

E: Hunter’s hogs!

yeah many goons ITT are also failing to account for the fact that state level parties are verging on bankrupt and all but admitting they can't win a fair election. Like Mississippi is trying to ban ballot measures that protect abortion access because they don't think they can win that fairly. It's loving Mississippi!

Never say it's a done deal though because poo poo changes and at the end of the day we are effectively staking hopes on the health of an elderly man in the highest stress job we've eve been able to dream up.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Sedgr posted:

Everyone benefits from a horserace. Trump can claim hes winning, Biden can scare Dems with the threat of Trump winning, and media gets to scream about how close it all is.

And if Donald Trump marries a racehorse their kid is gonna be really fast.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Serious_Cyclone posted:

I'm having a hard time understanding how a market evaluates a Biden-Trump toss-up, but a Dem lead over the GOP for the office itself.

I'd imagine that Biden being incapacitated and replaced with a younger candidate is seen as likely, and since his age seems to be the main line of attack the GOP is going for, it makes a modicum of sense.

The 53/49 spread having overlap is what weirds me out, shouldn't that get almost immediately traded into a non-overlapping state? Maybe I just don't get predictive markets...

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Yeah well the polls don't take into account Biden rigging and stolling the election :smug:

ragnarokette
Oct 7, 2021

Aramis posted:

I'd imagine that Biden being incapacitated and replaced with a younger candidate is seen as likely, and since his age seems to be the main line of attack the GOP is going for, it makes a modicum of sense.

The 53/49 spread having overlap is what weirds me out, shouldn't that get almost immediately traded into a non-overlapping state? Maybe I just don't get predictive markets...

Because it's not a bunch of rational actors making maximally informed decisions, it's just a vibes check from gambling and politics addicts

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Nate Silver citing a betting/gambling site is kinda lol. That's definitely a source that's trying to sell some poo poo.

Serious_Cyclone posted:

I believe there may be a fundamental problem with the sources, here. Call me crazy, though.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Polls, polls will tear us apart again

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Until the pollsters can figure out a way to actually reach Millennials or Zoomers who never answer phone calls, they will be underreporting a very large portion of the electorate

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

ragnarokette posted:

Because it's not a bunch of rational actors making maximally informed decisions, it's just a vibes check from gambling and politics addicts

But wouldn't selling Biden and buying Trump in equal amounts (or whatever is the correct hedging strategy needed to leverage the overlap) be 100% guaranteed profit at the moment? There's got to be at least a few finance nerds on there latching on to stuff like that.

Aramis fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jan 31, 2024

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Serious_Cyclone posted:

the world of political betting is loving wild, because it frequently ends up being more correct than wonks like silver but also appears to be self-contradictory every time you look at it.

Waffle House posted:

Nate Silver citing a betting/gambling site is kinda lol. That's definitely a source that's trying to sell some poo poo.
unfortunately for literally everyone in the world those sites have a really good track record of predicting outcomes.

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey
I think like 28 of the last 30 or published polls have gone for Trump, with the other two being ties. Inaccurate or not, it’s still more than a little disconcerting that the callous rapist who gleefully broke up families, tear-gassed his own citizens and staged a failed coup on the Capitol (where people actually died) can still garner that kind of support.

It’s sometimes hard not to think that America isn’t worthy of being saved.

SlurredSpeech609
Oct 29, 2012

ragnarokette posted:

Yup its people like Helen here.

quote:

WIth Betfair still accepting wagers long after voting had stopped, some bettors like Helen dropped more money on the race, on the basis of voter-fraud theories.

“I watched the hearings of Rudy Guiliani and Jenna Ellis for ballot fraud, I listed [sic] to Sidney Powell and Lin Wood for the election fraud,” she said, in reference to conspiratorial lawyers arguing in Trump’s favor. “It looked very, very likely from the day of the election like it was fraud and as more info came out, I was more convinced of the win. Which is why I have such a large amount riding on it.”
Had Trump won re-election, Helen would have won nearly €2.7 million euros, according to screenshots of her Betfair account.
https://www.thedailybeast.com/gamblers-bet-big-on-trump-and-now-they-now-claim-fraud

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

Aramis posted:

I see, I was trying to get it to jive with the expectation that Trump won't be the GOP nominee, but there's no way to get that to be consistent with a Dem party advantage.

I assume the 53/49 spread is a way to increment these markets by discrete amounts while allowing for sub-increment percentage changes, so a 53/49 spread indicates an odds of 51.96% Dem to 48.04% GOP

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

If you could figure out the general demos of the users of PredictIt you could probably make a ton of money on that site lol

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Predictit is dumb money. Last election they had Biden at like 20 cents pre south Carolina which, if you were remotely paying attention was basically free money

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

There's that hateful rhetoric the GOP is known for!

Edit: Won't SOMEBODY think of the right to work laws?

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Apparently it is once again time for clueless politicians to fish for soundbytes about social media:

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1752737774896091354?s=46&t=G1x8XWIwrNxUQoXItlkh2w

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Coolguye posted:

the world of political betting is loving wild, because it frequently ends up being more correct than wonks like silver but also appears to be self-contradictory every time you look at it.

unfortunately for literally everyone in the world those sites have a really good track record of predicting outcomes.

I have my doubts here, as that is a business with a vested interest, indeed their business *plan* is taking your money.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I remember that one goon who had a spreadsheet of all the polls for the Obama vs Romney and had Romney winning all these crazy states. It was ridiculous, but his spreadsheet numbers never lie were his proof.

I think he died on election day.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Hail Satan Hunter's Hog!

https://twitter.com/FFRF/status/1752719948139442193

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Everyone is free to correct the poll output to match what they believe the results should be.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Polling is definitely hosed because in multiple instances over the last even 2 years multiple polls have been just dead wrong about Republicans success.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Remember Romney? And his toothpaste logo?