Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

meat police posted:

Kind of surprised gold hasn't long since gone past 2k to be honest.

Are both gold and silver still down slightly in price? I haven't looked recently. Still deciding on where to take my collection since I'm running out of easy to acquire in circulation poo poo. Coin roll hunts are still fun though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

meat police posted:

Kind of surprised gold hasn't long since gone past 2k to be honest.

Crypto killed the krugerrand?

Prob not but I cant pass up a numismatic alliteration.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
I finally looked and google says 22.82 for silver and 1887.90 for gold. Probably just the summer doldrums if I had to put forth a serious guess. Figures poo poo would be down when I got scrap sterling I want to dump.

imperiusdamian
Dec 8, 2021
Started pulling out my old coin collection recently for the first time in years. Lots and lots of British pre-decimal stuff. Mostly in not very good condition and lots of duplicates, but a goodly amount of decent pieces, many that I've had for something over 35 years.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

imperiusdamian posted:

Started pulling out my old coin collection recently for the first time in years. Lots and lots of British pre-decimal stuff. Mostly in not very good condition and lots of duplicates, but a goodly amount of decent pieces, many that I've had for something over 35 years.

Nice! Glad I'm not the only one who kept their childhood collection. Decided to make the effort to finish it and a couple of months ago I finally finished all the state quarters in both mint marks. Only took me 24 years to get 100 coins from circulation only. The national parks are going well but the US territories series will be the death of me: 2009 was a low mintage year across the board. I'm missing one 2009 dime from my dime books, otherwise I have a complete run from 1965 to 2023.

imperiusdamian
Dec 8, 2021

Turbinosamente posted:

Nice! Glad I'm not the only one who kept their childhood collection. Decided to make the effort to finish it and a couple of months ago I finally finished all the state quarters in both mint marks. Only took me 24 years to get 100 coins from circulation only. The national parks are going well but the US territories series will be the death of me: 2009 was a low mintage year across the board. I'm missing one 2009 dime from my dime books, otherwise I have a complete run from 1965 to 2023.

That's really neat! I thought for many years that I had a silver penny from pre-Norman England... turned out it was a badly corroded Nuremberg jeton from the 16th century! Still an interesting item though.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

imperiusdamian posted:

That's really neat! I thought for many years that I had a silver penny from pre-Norman England... turned out it was a badly corroded Nuremberg jeton from the 16th century! Still an interesting item though.

Nice! I do get jealous of England and other places with a longer history of coinage: a lot more cool old stuff to go after! Especially on the metal detecting front plus it seems like people are always turning up random medieval and Roman coins digging in their garden. I still want to try it here but wouldn't hold my breath for anything older than the 19th century.

poo poo, I should see if I even have any 18th century coins since years ago I inherited a couple small collections and just filed them away in mine without researching or thinking since it was before my break from the hobby. I looked up the bigger things like Morgan dollars, but they were all common dates so I didn't pursue it further.

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

Oh hey, thread!

I've been collecting banknotes for a few years now, but just found this thread today!

I just recently got some new notes in the mail.

Would anyone be interested in some pictures?

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

DarkSol posted:

Oh hey, thread!

I've been collecting banknotes for a few years now, but just found this thread today!

I just recently got some new notes in the mail.

Would anyone be interested in some pictures?

Yes.

:justpost:

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

This is only a small portion of the new banknotes that I recently received:

2023 Ukrainian ₴20 "WE WILL NOT FORGET! WE WILL NOT FORGIVE!" commemorative note

1975 100 East German mark note (Because who doesn't want Karl Marx on their money?)

1985 500 East German mark note (Was never released to the public.)

So apparently after German reunification happened, a whole bunch of these and other East German currency was put into bunkers for whatever reason. Someone broke into one of the bunkers and a bunch of these got put out into the open market. After the German government found out about it, all the remaining East German currency was destroyed.

2014 50000 rials note from Iran

Either a 2014 or 2015 10,000 kyats note from Myanmar

2000 2 dollar commemorative note from Fiji

(There's a 2000 dollar note celebrating the Millennium, but I haven't decided if I'm going to pull the trigger on one since they go for about $2000 USD and that's a big investment for a hobby.)

2023 100 cent commemorative note from Fiji

2022 88 cent commemorative note from Fiji

2008 10 kroon commemorative note from Estonia

2004 2 dram note from the soon to be dissolved Republic of Artsakh

2004 10 dram note from the soon to be dissolved Republic of Artsakh

2015 100 Yuan note from the PRC

Shenzhou 9 and Tiangong-1 space station on the obverse.

2019 50 cent note from the Bahamas

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Those are some drat fine banknotes! I personally have been ignoring that part of my collection beyond having put it in a better storage binder situation, so it's always nice to see them in other people's collections.

Trust me you don't want to see mine: a bank note collection that's mostly a stack of US star notes outside of some old rear end world currency in bad shape.

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Turbinosamente posted:

Those are some drat fine banknotes! I personally have been ignoring that part of my collection beyond having put it in a better storage binder situation, so it's always nice to see them in other people's collections.

Trust me you don't want to see mine: a bank note collection that's mostly a stack of US star notes outside of some old rear end world currency in bad shape.

I have around four binders worth of notes, I think? And plenty of notes that haven't been sorted through and put into binders. Most of them are either North Korean or from ex-Soviet countries, with a smattering of other Asian countries as well. (And a good number of Zimbabwian hyperinflation notes too.)

I've been wanting to get a whole set of Vanuatu polymer vatu, because my partner and I went there (and Fiji) back in May... but gosh dang they are so expensive.

I have some duplicates if anyone is interested in them.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Necroing the thread again to ask if anyone uses Numista on the regular? I'm debating whether it's worth it to catalog my entire collection, or to try the swap feature. Problem is I have mostly worthless coins to swap, like approximately a million dead Mexican pesos idk what to do with honestly.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Turbinosamente posted:

Necroing the thread again to ask if anyone uses Numista on the regular? I'm debating whether it's worth it to catalog my entire collection, or to try the swap feature. Problem is I have mostly worthless coins to swap, like approximately a million dead Mexican pesos idk what to do with honestly.

I use it to catalog my modern coins. I was putting together a collection of world coins for a specific year and it was a lot easier to use numista for that than it was sorting through the red book and making a spreadsheet. It's a great tool if you're tryin to get a handle on what you have and wha you need.

I've never tried the swap feature, though.

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Turbinosamente posted:

I don't use Numista, but if you're interested in an alternative platform... I use Colnect and it works pretty well. I recently purchased some North Korean won off of it and the system seemed pretty solid. People would probably be willing to swap for your pesos.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Thanks for the advice, it's laid bare that I still need a goal for this collection before undertaking the massive task of entering all the coins into a database and potentially trading. I've whined about a lack of collecting direction before in this thread before, so I'll avoid doing that again as it's totally a me problem.

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Turbinosamente posted:

Thanks for the advice, it's laid bare that I still need a goal for this collection before undertaking the massive task of entering all the coins into a database and potentially trading. I've whined about a lack of collecting direction before in this thread before, so I'll avoid doing that again as it's totally a me problem.

I hear you. I think that's kind of why I like Colnect. You can search by themes or features and find coins or notes that have those aspects.

imperiusdamian
Dec 8, 2021
Wonder if anyone would want to buy the dozens of badly worn Victorian pennies I have duplicates of. :P

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

after the war my grandpa brought back some german WW2 paper currency but I wasn't sure if it was cool to post due to the, y'know, swastikas and stuff.

Thanks to my uncle I also have an old soviet russia belt buckle that I once tried to bring into 6th grade show & tell and lost. My principle found it and called the police thinking it was gang-related.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Yeah idk what to do about the problematic poo poo in my collection either, I've got two 10 pfenning coins from that era with the imagery that quietly sit in the binder with the rest of the German coins. Child me thought they were rare historical artifacts from the bad guys of WWII and that Nazis would never come back again. I was deeply, deeply wrong and naive too.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I probably have some Hitler-era German postage stamps, but as far as I remember, I don't have any Hitler head stamps. (Or if I do, they're somewhere in the "haven't looked through" boxes.)

e: I've never collected German stamps but I've inherited a few collections.

imperiusdamian
Dec 8, 2021

Turbinosamente posted:

Yeah idk what to do about the problematic poo poo in my collection either, I've got two 10 pfenning coins from that era with the imagery that quietly sit in the binder with the rest of the German coins. Child me thought they were rare historical artifacts from the bad guys of WWII and that Nazis would never come back again. I was deeply, deeply wrong and naive too.

To be fair, those coins ARE historical artifacts. I sincerely hope we never see a time when Nazis get their imagery on coins again, and that those coins remain historical.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
I hope not either, though a coin discord dashed my faith in humanity this morning with someone asking whether they should buy a fake nazi coin. Not suprised that such garbage exists but man is it ever disappointing to see. At least a few people there while telling the dude it's a fake lamented about what the world is coming to.

In happier and better news, I'm quasi considering focusing on world silver as a collection goal. Lots of pretty coins there.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

My only contact with WWII german coin collecting was listening to an old guy and a coin dealer haggling over stuff at a coin show a few years back. They talked about this and that and when they got to the german coins the dealer just said, "Oh no, I never haggle over those. I can always take that box to a gun show and sell them all at full price."

Sy Borg
Sep 20, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The recent purchase of two Peace Dollars prompted me to revisit my coin collection after a decade of it sitting in a box. To be fair, its an amalgamation of coins collected by my Dad and his father along with my contributions, which as intergenerational accumulation should be the basis of any coin collection. An earlier poster up thread mentioned the importance of focus, I really want to finish my collection of Peace Dollars while also assessing my bucket of coins to flesh out the 20th century American coins pulled from circulation (mostly quarters). This weekend I'll post some photos if other posters are interested.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Ha, your collection sounds a bit like my collection. Mom started me on Whitman coin books as a child and then because I was into coins I later inherited both my grandfather's and great uncle's accumulations. The sentimentality there makes it difficult to cut duplicates and really shape the collection into a collection vs a hoard though. I suspect the stuff from my grandfather was more a tiny silver stack than a collection, because of the multiple same date barber dimes and I think he was the one with the morgans? I should post more pics, but my collection is pretty average stuff and average grades too.

How far along are you on the quarters? It took me until last year to finally finish the state quarters pulling them from circulation. Now I have the hell of trying to get the 2009 territories and the harder to get america the beautiful ones. Yeah I could just ebay them, but I've come this far and it seems silly to give up now. Also much to my chagrin I have yet to find a goddamn w quarter in circulation, it's pissing me off, especially when coin roll hunters post that they got like 3 in a box or some poo poo.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Sy Borg posted:

This weekend I'll post some photos if other posters are interested.
:justpost:

Sy Borg
Sep 20, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Turbinosamente posted:

Ha, your collection sounds a bit like my collection. Mom started me on Whitman coin books as a child and then because I was into coins I later inherited both my grandfather's and great uncle's accumulations. The sentimentality there makes it difficult to cut duplicates and really shape the collection into a collection vs a hoard though. I suspect the stuff from my grandfather was more a tiny silver stack than a collection, because of the multiple same date barber dimes and I think he was the one with the morgans? I should post more pics, but my collection is pretty average stuff and average grades too.

How far along are you on the quarters? It took me until last year to finally finish the state quarters pulling them from circulation. Now I have the hell of trying to get the 2009 territories and the harder to get america the beautiful ones. Yeah I could just ebay them, but I've come this far and it seems silly to give up now. Also much to my chagrin I have yet to find a goddamn w quarter in circulation, it's pissing me off, especially when coin roll hunters post that they got like 3 in a box or some poo poo.

My collection of State Quarters is complete, but for some unknown reason my coin folder doesn't distinguish between Philadelphia and Denver mint marks. That is odd because I have the same Littleton folders for other Washington Quarters (1948 to 1998, 2009, and American The Beautiful) which do have separate slots for P & D. Which states are you missing? After I sort my current batch of quarters, I may have some duplicates. PM me your list and I can send you some if they pop up.

As for the 2009 quarters, I'm missing District of Columbia for Philadelphia while Denver is still pretty empty (Guam, USVI, America Samoa, and Northern Mariana Islands).

Here are my two cents from my collection on this topic! I find 19th century large cents to be particularly beautiful. It's a shame the modern penny is both small in size and purchasing power because the large cents feel so nice in the hand.

Sy Borg fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jan 12, 2024

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Sy Borg posted:

My collection of State Quarters is complete, but for some unknown reason my coin folder doesn't distinguish between Philadelphia and Denver mint marks. That is odd because I have the same Littleton folders for other Washington Quarters (1948 to 1998, 2009, and American The Beautiful) which do have separate slots for P & D. Which states are you missing? After I sort my current batch of quarters, I may have some duplicates. PM me your list and I can send you some if they pop up.

As for the 2009 quarters, I'm missing District of Columbia for Philadelphia while Denver is still pretty empty (Guam, USVI, America Samoa, and Northern Mariana Islands).

Oh crap are we both on the east coast? Because it is also the D mint marks that are the death of me. My states are complete, but I too am missing 2009 Denver Guam, USVI, and Northern Mariana Islands. From there it's the weird state parks and stuff, I can still pm you the list if you'd like.

Edit: gently caress I thought I saw a District of Columbia P recently but I may have spent it, dammit.

Turbinosamente fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jan 12, 2024

Sy Borg
Sep 20, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Turbinosamente posted:

Oh crap are we both on the east coast? Because it is also the D mint marks that are the death of me. My states are complete, but I too am missing 2009 Denver Guam, USVI, and Northern Mariana Islands. From there it's the weird state parks and stuff, I can still pm you the list if you'd like.

Edit: gently caress I thought I saw a District of Columbia P recently but I may have spent it, dammit.

Yep, we share this fine coast! I picked up an extended State Quarter folder last night. When I transferred my collection from the old to new folder, every single coin had a Philadelphia mint mark.

Feel free to PM me your list. My state parks are lacking Denver sorely.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Sy Borg posted:

Yep, we share this fine coast! I picked up an extended State Quarter folder last night. When I transferred my collection from the old to new folder, every single coin had a Philadelphia mint mark.

Feel free to PM me your list. My state parks are lacking Denver sorely.

Pm sent! And yeah, that's strange that the one folder didn't have the other mint mark. I wound up having to transfer my state quarters into another album years ago because the acid in the cardboard of the old one started puting an ugly yellowish brown tone on the edge of the coins. I wound up with the deluxe Whitman folder for mine; the only thing annoying is it's larger than all my regular Whitman stuff. I guess that's what deluxe gets you?

Sy Borg
Sep 20, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Turbinosamente posted:

Pm sent! And yeah, that's strange that the one folder didn't have the other mint mark. I wound up having to transfer my state quarters into another album years ago because the acid in the cardboard of the old one started puting an ugly yellowish brown tone on the edge of the coins. I wound up with the deluxe Whitman folder for mine; the only thing annoying is it's larger than all my regular Whitman stuff. I guess that's what deluxe gets you?

I've got the exact same folder and it is obnoxiously large, but lucky for me it also has slots for the 2009 quarters so I was able to consolidate better. The previous holder only had enough slots for the 2009 quarters for both mints - a truly dumb design.

I'll take a look at your PM and let you know!

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Sy Borg posted:

I've got the exact same folder and it is obnoxiously large, but lucky for me it also has slots for the 2009 quarters so I was able to consolidate better. The previous holder only had enough slots for the 2009 quarters for both mints - a truly dumb design.

I'll take a look at your PM and let you know!

I know that feeling. I know why my American Women folder has "Honoree 1 2023 -P" and so forth listed after the first year but it does irk me. Maybe I'll get a new one after the program is done. At least they were smart and stuck the outlier of 2021 in the top of it.

Also forgot to mention in my long winded PM that getting rolls from the bank really helped with playing catch up on quarters, it's just now I'm to the point where not even that helps. And it sucked the one time I wound up with 50 bucks worth of bicentennial quarters, but you kinda just have to laugh about that one.

Moving on, does anyone collect modern US dollars? I'm considering axing them as I just don't encounter them in circulation and would have to go out of my way for them. Plus, I am not a fan of the portraits in the presidential series.

Sy Borg
Sep 20, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The Presidential dollar looks like an overgrown Chuck E. Cheese tokens and the portraits are uncannily bad.

This weekend my Dad mentioned that he has four cans of spare change. Since organizing coins is somewhat relaxing, I asked if I could sort through them and swap any coins for my collection for face value or a fair price if silver or old wheat pennies show up. He gave me one which appears to be a 12x12 cookie tin that was brimming with spare change to such a degree that the bottom was sagging slightly. After a few hours, I was able to fill some gaps in my nickels and dimes. However, the real prize bubbled up while sorting through the quarters. I found a 2019-W American Memorial Park and a 2009-P District of Columbia quarter.

The former quarter is more interesting. To encourage interest in coin collecting, in 2019 and 20220 the US Mint released a very limited amount quarters into circulation that were minted at the West Point Mint. Known for minting bullion and precious metal coins, West Point had never produced coins for regular circulation until then. As a point of comparison, there were only 2 million of this particular quarter minted compared to the 142 million and 182 million minuted at the Philadelphia and Denver mints, respectively.

Thanks to Thanks to Turbinosamente who clued me in on the the W mintmarks!

2019-W American Memorial Park

https://www.usmint.gov/news/inside-the-mint/mint-releases-first-ever-w-quarters-into-circulation

Sy Borg fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Jan 29, 2024

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Oooo you lucky duck! One day I'll find a W quarter. One day. I got lucky last year and was able to go through a friend of a friends box of some $300 in mixed change but still no W quarters, and barely anything with a 2009 date. I did find one silver quarter, but I let him keep it as thanks for letting me go through the box and keep about $1.50 worth of National Park quarters I needed.

And oops guess the DC quarter will be a dupe, I'm not taking the package apart now. But I did slip an extra kinda bad condition last minute one in there and something dumb as a bonus.

edit: Forgot to add my congratulations around my sarcasm whoops! Congratulations! The only people I truly get jealous about W quarters with is coin roll hunter youtubers finding multiple in a $250 box. My luck is never that good for anything.

Turbinosamente fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Jan 29, 2024

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Double post because why the gently caress not.

So far so good on collecting world silver. I just happened to like the eagle on this one and his great fuzzy feather legs. :3:

imperiusdamian
Dec 8, 2021
Found a few random wheat pennies in my change at work this last week. 1940, 1948 and 1952. Circulated so I doubt they're worth anything but it was neat to turn up something that old in random change.

I've started buying British coins off eBay 'cause there really isn't anywhere to easily get them in the States (moved here from the UK where I was an avid collector of pre-decimal English coins). The first one I ordered arrived yesterday, a 1912 'H' mintmark George V penny. Only about Fine condition (that's about 12-15 on the NGC scale) but it was only $4 so that was a steal!

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Neat! The last weird thing I got in change was actually a 1992 10p coin instead of a quarter from Burger King. Already had one in better condition in the collection so I stuck it on my work tool box.

Wish I could help you with predecimal British coins but all the duplicates I pulled out of the binder are definitely post 1970s.

Turbinosamente fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jan 31, 2024

imperiusdamian
Dec 8, 2021

Turbinosamente posted:

Neat! The last weird thing I got in change was actually a 1992 10p coin instead of a quarter from Burger King. Already had one in better condition in the collection so I stuck it on my work tool box.

Wish I could help you with predecimal British coins but all the duplicates I pulled out of the binder are definitely post 1970s.

Oh nice! I haven't found British coins in my change here, but I have run across a number of Canadian ones and I did one day at work get a bunch of Eisenhower dollars from a customer. I made sure to have a few bucks handy to swap for those!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

imperiusdamian posted:

Oh nice! I haven't found British coins in my change here, but I have run across a number of Canadian ones and I did one day at work get a bunch of Eisenhower dollars from a customer. I made sure to have a few bucks handy to swap for those!

I'm close enough to the border that canadian change is a welcome nonevent, though I haven't gotten any in years, probably because I use a credit card more often these days. Ike dollars are a neat suprise though! Were they clad or did some one bust some 40% ones out of a mint set?

If anyone cares I'm still pulling out duplicate poo poo from my childhood collection of any and every coin that was thrown my way. The experience has taught me how much heavily damaged crap I have and what coins I enjoy having and looking at the most. And its helping me decide on future goals for it.

I think for old US coins I will go for a type set of sorts, but do it my own way and not just be filling in a Dansco 7070 album. I looked at some of the pages this album has and was suprised that they made it a 1909 vdb s penny specifically for the wheat penny spot. I also don't particularly want to go for all 4 large cent variations at this time and as much as I'd love a 20 cent coin my budget doesnt extend that far yet. So I think I'll save my $45 and put it towards a flying eagle cent or something to start instead.

Edit for clarity, as I'm rambling on out loud as to how my coins can be a good collection versus just a hoard of stuff.

Turbinosamente fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Feb 3, 2024