Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

also half the time when directors loudly boast about not using CGI they're just lying lol

top gun maverick was an egregious example, a huge part of the marketing was insisting that it's all 100% practical organic in-camera footage and then later it turns out nearly every plane shot has CGI elements

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
budgets are so wild nowadays, why couldn't they just do what the old hollywood epics did and hire a bunch of people

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Mister Olympus posted:

budgets are so wild nowadays, why couldn't they just do what the old hollywood epics did and hire a bunch of people

Because you can't really kill or maim extras anymore.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Hiring extras means building sets and designing costumes and all those sorts of things are done by union labor which is more expensive than (generally) non-union VFX artists

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Maybe the real World War II just looked boring and anticlimatic, huh, ever think of that, wise guy.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Blue Moonlight posted:

On the contrary, between that scene and calling back to it when the bomb went off, you know he thought it was so brilliant that it would win him Best Picture, and the embarrassing thing is that he very well may be right.

I still say they totally threw in the sex scenes to get an R rating so it comes off as a Serious Grown Up Movie, but lol that they literally have characters see the grisly effects of radiation poisoning offscreen instead of showing it

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

repiv posted:

also half the time when directors loudly boast about not using CGI they're just lying lol

top gun maverick was an egregious example, a huge part of the marketing was insisting that it's all 100% practical organic in-camera footage and then later it turns out nearly every plane shot has CGI elements

This youtube series isn't finished but it's a great look at that. Part 2 talks to the VFX supervisor from Inception about how they did/didn't use CGI for some scenes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ttG90raCNo

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Asterite34 posted:

When you think about it, it's the exact opposite of "la petite mort"

On the other hand, he was definitely capturing the forces of the Big Bang.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I still say they totally threw in the sex scenes to get an R rating so it comes off as a Serious Grown Up Movie, but lol that they literally have characters see the grisly effects of radiation poisoning offscreen instead of showing it

That's the exact reverse of the usual US movie where they'll show people being maimed in excruciating detail but God forbid a woman should be seen enjoying sex.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Jedit posted:

people being maimed in excruciating detail

Hell yeah

Jedit posted:

a woman enjoying sex.

HARD PASS

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

oldpainless posted:

Hell yeah

HARD PASS

Well it makes sense when you consider which one is more likely to happen with you involved.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
more like oldgameless

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Jedit posted:

That's the exact reverse of the usual US movie where they'll show people being maimed in excruciating detail but God forbid a woman should be seen enjoying sex.

I watched some French movie about a bunch of young people organizing orgies, smoking and generally partying, so I was waiting for the inevitable penalty of someone getting horribly killed or ruined to "pay" for their hedonism. Never happened! Those Frenchies were just like "ah well that was fun".

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

reality shows aren't fun anymore now that everyone uses medical terminology to make their cattiness look more legit

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

mycot posted:

Maybe the real World War II just looked boring and anticlimatic, huh, ever think of that, wise guy.

I mean, tbf, it probably did

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

hawowanlawow posted:

reality shows aren't fun anymore now that everyone uses medical terminology to make their cattiness look more legit

The singing shows have mined just about every possible sob story and angle for heartfelt backstories. The latest one I saw was some singer guy whose story was "my brother was diagnosed with autism when we were in school..." Jeez, old news buddy, weren't we all? Get in the queue

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Chrpno posted:

The singing shows have mined just about every possible sob story and angle for heartfelt backstories. The latest one I saw was some singer guy whose story was "my brother was diagnosed with autism when we were in school..." Jeez, old news buddy, weren't we all? Get in the queue

Honestly, at this point, I'm convinced that everybody is on the spectrum at least a little bit.
It's just a matter of how much so any given person is.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Chrpno posted:

I hate that the Sob Stories spilled over into the Silly Sporting and Actually Impressive Sporting shows too.
I don't give a poo poo about your 8 minute sob story, run the loving 2 minute ninja course already.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Croccers posted:

I hate that the Sob Stories spilled over into the Silly Sporting and Actually Impressive Sporting shows too.
I don't give a poo poo about your 8 minute sob story, run the loving 2 minute ninja course already.

If I had a nickel for every cooking show contestant who said that they want to prove that X sort of person can make it as a chef, I'd have enough money to open the dream restaurant they want to open with the winnings from the contest.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

the_steve posted:

If I had a nickel for every cooking show contestant who said that they want to prove that X sort of person can make it as a chef, I'd have enough money to open the dream restaurant they want to open with the winnings from the contest.

This feels like a measurable equation. We can find out how many nickels that would take.

Ironhead
Jan 19, 2005

Ironhead. Mmm.

I had a buddy that was a fairly well known local Chef, opened some big name restaurants, got to do stuff with Anthony Bourdain, and did some TV stuff.

He went on a cooking show when he was still fairly new to his career, and all they wanted to talk about was how he was an orphan. He told me he got adopted when he was a baby, his adoptive parents loved him, were loaded, and he never felt like they were anything other than his real parents. The way they railroaded him with questions and edited his responses made it sound like a sob story, and he was heartbroken that his parents were going to see it and feel betrayed.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Ironhead posted:

I had a buddy that was a fairly well known local Chef, opened some big name restaurants, got to do stuff with Anthony Bourdain, and did some TV stuff.

He went on a cooking show when he was still fairly new to his career, and all they wanted to talk about was how he was an orphan. He told me he got adopted when he was a baby, his adoptive parents loved him, were loaded, and he never felt like they were anything other than his real parents. The way they railroaded him with questions and edited his responses made it sound like a sob story, and he was heartbroken that his parents were going to see it and feel betrayed.

https://youtube.com/shorts/irKDlsXFU0o?si=imVThYS2PSTMov6t
Chef doesn't have enough trauma to win cooking competition

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Ironhead posted:

Oh yeah, most "reality" TV shows are highly scripted and a lot of them go even further and fake a whole lot of poo poo

'Pimp My Ride' was pretty notorious for it, making contestants redo their reactions over and over until they got it right, taking their cars for months and months and doing lovely workmanship on them, damaging cars and filling them with trash so they look even worse for the 'before' shots and even hiring houses for the contestants to pretend to live in if they didn't have a driveway that was suitable for filming

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9y_rbMJmPg

Here's a show which covers a whole lot of other reality TV shows
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hH8xV5jTP_s

Snowglobe of Doom has a new favorite as of 06:34 on Feb 1, 2024

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

the_steve posted:

And keep it open for at least a week and a half!

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Oh yeah, most "reality" TV shows are highly scripted and a lot of them go even further and fake a whole lot of poo poo

I've played shows with a guy who won a national TV singing show about 15 years ago, and he's parlayed it into a successful media career.... and his only backstory was that he emigrated from the UK. He got away clean, one of the very few lucky ones. For every success there's 20 unknown kids with great voices who's forbidden from playing gigs or releasing or writing any songs due to the 360 contract they signed when they joined the competition.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Chrpno posted:

And keep it open for at least a week and a half!

Well yeah, I'd be a terrible business owner.

Ironhead
Jan 19, 2005

Ironhead. Mmm.

I also worked a gig at a small museum/venue when our city was hosting the NBA All Stars. Dwayne Wade was releasing his new "Stingray" sneakers. So obviously they brought in the guys from Tanked to build a stupid round fishtank full of rays with his shoes "floating" in it.

I was loading in at the same time as the Tanked people. At one point there was water all over the floor and they were yelling about how the tank was leaking. There was a general panic in the building as we were trying to pull light fixtures that were sitting on the floor and stuff.

At one point I looked over at the tank and realized the water level hadn't gone down, which in my brain caused more of a panic. So I started yelling that obviously there was another issue, it wasn't the tank, and we needed to be looking for a burst pipe or some other source of the water.

I was quickly yelled at for ruining the shot.

I don't know if the "leak" part of the drama made it in TV. But here's a YouTube clip of the tank. I haven't watched it because I can't listen to it here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdsR7o1ualQ

Edit: Also they show a before and after, all those guys did was the tank. We had a 10 hour load in for lighting, deco, sound system, etc. but they sure make it look like it was all them. The venue got stripped that same night.

Ironhead has a new favorite as of 07:04 on Feb 1, 2024

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Ironhead posted:

Yeah they gotta have that fake drama in there. Recently I tried watching a new UK reality TV show called 'The Woodland Workshop' because it features one of the judges from 'The Great Pottery Throw Down' as a craftsman but in every single segment they had to have a fake drama angle where someone went "Oh no, there's a complication! Will the craftsman be able complete the project or will it all go wrong???" when it was super super obvious they knew exactly what they were doing and it was instantly tedious

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
One of the reasons the Australian version of Lego Masters works so well is that they minimise the fake reality TV bullshit. It's not completely absent but it's rare and isn't the focus.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Yeah they gotta have that fake drama in there. Recently I tried watching a new UK reality TV show called 'The Woodland Workshop' because it features one of the judges from 'The Great Pottery Throw Down' as a craftsman but in every single segment they had to have a fake drama angle where someone went "Oh no, there's a complication! Will the craftsman be able complete the project or will it all go wrong???" when it was super super obvious they knew exactly what they were doing and it was instantly tedious

This is why The Repair Shop is peak television. Sure, everyone has a sob story, but that's why we're seeing their poo poo fixed for free, and it always works out, and it's super comfy and chill, and everyone is always crying happy tears at the end.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008

Ironhead posted:

I also worked a gig at a small museum/venue when our city was hosting the NBA All Stars. Dwayne Wade was releasing his new "Stingray" sneakers. So obviously they brought in the guys from Tanked to build a stupid round fishtank full of rays with his shoes "floating" in it.

I was loading in at the same time as the Tanked people. At one point there was water all over the floor and they were yelling about how the tank was leaking. There was a general panic in the building as we were trying to pull light fixtures that were sitting on the floor and stuff.

At one point I looked over at the tank and realized the water level hadn't gone down, which in my brain caused more of a panic. So I started yelling that obviously there was another issue, it wasn't the tank, and we needed to be looking for a burst pipe or some other source of the water.

I don't know if the "leak" part of the drama made it in TV. But here's a YouTube clip of the tank. I haven't watched it because I can't listen to it here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdsR7o1ualQ

Edit: Also they show a before and after, all those guys did was the tank. We had a 10 hour load in for lighting, deco, sound system, etc. but they sure make it look like it was all them. The venue got stripped that same night.

Lmao at him going "How are they floating like that?" when you can see the plastic rods so clearly. Someone in the comments says you can't actually see them in real life just on camera was that true?

Zombie Dachshund
Feb 26, 2016

Chrpno posted:

I've played shows with a guy who won a national TV singing show about 15 years ago, and he's parlayed it into a successful media career.... and his only backstory was that he emigrated from the UK. He got away clean, one of the very few lucky ones.

I’m glad he made it safely out of the UK. Poor bastard.

Bk.
Nov 9, 2009

Annabel Pee posted:

Lmao at him going "How are they floating like that?" when you can see the plastic rods so clearly. Someone in the comments says you can't actually see them in real life just on camera was that true?

That can't possibly be true.
Most likely he was told to ask, so they wouldn't have to point it out unprompted.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Bk. posted:

That can't possibly be true.
Most likely he was told to ask, so they wouldn't have to point it out unprompted.

Those would absolutely be visible IRL

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://1900hotdog.com/2024/02/ape-week-lancelot-link-🌭/

1-900 Hot Dog’s Ape Week covers a parody tv show starring Chimpanzees and why as good as an idea it might sound in no way will it work in practice

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
My dumb reality TV story is that I had a family member who works as a boat architect go on an episode of one of those team challenge shows about building stuff out of junk as the Boat Expert . I dunno if he was trying to no-sell the drama on purpose, but every time the host asked his opinion on who was doing better, whose boat would work, what about this angle so and so is working on, etc, he just said "yeah team x has it, they did y, they're fine" all the way through as matter-of-factly as possible. Then team x's boat, in fact, did fine. It was pretty funny at the time and managed to kill any potential interest I would have had in reality shows because it made the dramatization so obvious.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

"So, what do you think of Blue Team's chances?

*zoom in on boat expert's face as their expression fails to change* "Well-"

Drum rolls. Intercut footage of other people awaiting the answer. Smash cut to bumper, five minutes of commercials, and back to an expressionless boat expert's face.

The question is repeated, albeit an obviously different take: "Blue team's chances? What do you think?"

*zoom in on boat expert's face as their expression fails to change* "Yeah, they'll do fine. Good keel."

Ironhead
Jan 19, 2005

Ironhead. Mmm.

Annabel Pee posted:

They were a little less obvious by the time the party started, the ambient light was lower, the club style flashing lights were going, and everyone was hammered.

But yeah, they were totally visible.

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
I was on DDD one time and really the only thing I noticed being phony was that Guy knew the owners beforehand but had to rehash the whole thing acting surprised. Past that he is pretty much exactly like he is on TV and was super kind to everyone, only bits they had to cut around were things like passersby freaking out that Guy was there.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I can't find the picture online, but there was a scene in that 70s show where Danny Masterson's character was doing a job interview, and he was asked where he would see himself in 5 years.

Answer: prison.

Oddly accurate.

By the way, don't read any comments on any of the stories about his sentencing and current location because it will make you lose whatever faith you have left in humanity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Cowslips Warren posted:

By the way, don't read any comments on any of the stories about his sentencing and current location because it will make you lose whatever faith you have left in humanity

His current location is in Corcoran State Prison, from what I read?