Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

What is going on with "the DNC is secretly preparing Michelle Obama to run for president when Biden croaks in the immediate future" conspiracy theories? It feels different from the one about Chelsea Clinton continuing the family legacy. Feels like it plays on rightwing-addled minds that assume that would be The Left's wet dream, a black woman with toned arms (The Right's idea of queer-coded?) who writes an inspirational autobio. Or it could just be another round of excuses to bash a perfectly ordinary first lady.

A trucker called in to Hannity to ask that the convoy not block up the border station so that truckers driving through for work aren't disrupted, looks like there's nothing to worry about.

Last week or so, someone asked Hannity how he meets up with his sensei now that he lives in Florida. He said he doesn't train with him as regularly but still schedules individual lessons when there's availability. I really want that caller to have been a troll, but it's kind of funnier as an earnest question. "Tell us, Mr. Hannity, we have wondered ever so long, about the whereabouts of your sensei? How will you fight off the low-life thugs and fentanyl zombies of the liberal apocalypse, aside from the multiple Byrna weapons you hide throughout your home?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

skeleton warrior posted:

It’s hilarious to me that, in reading this article, this guy is clearly a conservative who assumes everyone thinks like him and has made up what a “leftist” is, insisting it is someone who wants to trans everyone and cheers for looting and accuses everyone else of racism all the time, and he still can’t find that guy more insane the GOP mainline

Edit: PT6A makes the exact same point, in a much more grounded and far less weird “liberals want to end gender” way

I know that whenever I vote and/or form my political opinions, I always check in on pro athletes and mega pop star musicians. These people are full of poo poo anyway. THey worship celebrities far more than any leftist I know of. Christ, two of their biggest heroes in my lifetime are Ronald Reagan and Donald Trump.

PT6A posted:

I think another issue is that socially progressive people don't meet This Guy on their level. "Love is love" is a wonderful sentiment, but sometimes the better way to reach This Guy is to say something like, "so, he wants to gently caress asses. What business is that of yours? He's not going to gently caress your rear end, so just relax."

Sometimes you can't be "nice." I have a Racist Uncle, like many people do, and he was ranting on and on about how if Obama won then "Black people would think they're 'entitled'", and my dad quite simply said, "entitled to WHAT? A normal life like you have? Why shouldn't they be?" And, at the same time, I've also called my dad out on his own bullshit. It's not inherently disrespectful to call people on their bullshit, especially when you know deep down they aren't bad people. Then, more than ever, you need to call them on it.

I've been doing this here and there with folks who bring up "woke" simply by asking them to define what they think that means.

I tell them that, to me, it's just the new "politically correct" and kinda means the same thing which was always essentially "just try not to be an rear end in a top hat to the extent that you're capable". I've had some moderate success with coworkers; at least to the point that I can at pause the conversation, genuinely make them struggle to define it and otherwise keep things civil, but I'm not really allowed to engage the far more vocal ones that make up a lot of our customers.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Jan 31, 2024

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

This is the stupidest poo poo. 'Oh yeah, we have some washed up actors/singers from decades ago, we can definitely take on the most influential woman on the planet!'

https://twitter.com/willmenaker/status/1752453547600269759?s=20

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The olds seem convinced that John Wayne was not a Hollywood actor but a real gunslinger

My ironic favourite Wayne movie is The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance.

It’s a fun western, but it’s extra spicy behind the scenes. John Wayne plays John Wayne, alongside James Stewart who plays the city-slickin’ lawyer who needs to learn the lay of the frontier.

Except irl Stewart was a decorated vet who could’ve done his WW2 service on the movie star circuit but volunteered for combat while Wayne and Reagan stayed home.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The olds seem convinced that John Wayne was not a Hollywood actor but a real gunslinger

It’s a fun western, but it’s extra spicy behind the scenes. John Wayne plays John Wayne, alongside James Stewart who plays the city-slickin’ lawyer who needs to learn the lay of the frontier.

Except irl Stewart was a decorated vet who could’ve done his WW2 service on the movie star circuit but volunteered for combat while Wayne and Reagan stayed home.

Please, no one show Jon Voight's fans a little film called Midnight Cowboy, that was originally rated X and was banned in some states. Hell, for that matter, no one show them Deliverance.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Jan 31, 2024

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I haven't had someone say "woke" disparagingly out loud ever, and when you challenge the terminally online right wing people to give a definition they will not hesitate to bust out some heavily workshopped word salad of a canned response.

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!

Space Fish posted:

What is going on with "the DNC is secretly preparing Michelle Obama to run for president when Biden croaks in the immediate future" conspiracy theories? It feels different from the one about Chelsea Clinton continuing the family legacy. Feels like it plays on rightwing-addled minds that assume that would be The Left's wet dream, a black woman with toned arms (The Right's idea of queer-coded?) who writes an inspirational autobio. Or it could just be another round of excuses to bash a perfectly ordinary first lady.

This one is very popular over on Freep, with easily an article a day on it with 50+ comments. It seems to be based around three core ideas: 1) that Biden's approval polling numbers and current head-to-head polling numbers; 2) that Biden is more senile than Trump and is one health scare away from dropping out; and 3) the DNC is big and corrupt and can simply replace someone on the ballot after primary season because all of this is gonna magically happen at the convention, you see.

The core fallacy is of course believing the polling numbers of him against Trump this far from the election. When you dive in to them there's always a bunch of undecided morons that won't make up their minds until October. They also believe that the approval numbers are a significant worry, but as near as anyone here in reality is concerned, nobody in the Democratic institutions gives a poo poo or they'd actually be doing something about it.

It also feeds into the hate-boner they have for all things Obama. The sources feeding Freep are telling them over and over that Obama is really the on in charge of the Biden administration, given that Biden's brain is simply mush, and therefore a Michelle Obama presidency would just be one more way for him to retain control. I'm not sure how prevalent this idea is outside of the MAGA boomer news cycle.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

FlamingLiberal posted:

This is the stupidest poo poo. 'Oh yeah, we have some washed up actors/singers from decades ago, we can definitely take on the most influential woman on the planet!'

Lol even before I checked I knew Ted Nugent was going to be near the top of their list. The man who poo poo and cried his way out of the draft so he'd have more time to sexually abuse children.

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021

BiggerBoat posted:

I know that whenever I vote and/or form my political opinions, I always check in on pro athletes and mega pop star musicians. These people are full of poo poo anyway. THey worship celebrities far more than any leftist I know of. Christ, two of their biggest heroes in my lifetime are Ronald Reagan and Donald Trump.

I've been doing this here and there with folks who bring up "woke" simply by asking them to define what they think that means.

I tell them that, to me, it's just the new "politically correct" and kinda means the same thing which was always essentially "just try not to be an rear end in a top hat to the extent that you're capable". I've had some moderate success with coworkers; at least to the point that I can at pause the conversation, genuinely make them struggle to define it and otherwise keep things civil, but I'm not really allowed to engage the far more vocal ones that make up a lot of our customers.
https://www.motherjones.com/mojo-wire/2022/12/desantis-ron-woke-florida-officials/
This is incredibly useful because the setting is the only place in the world these assholes can be genuinely punished for lying. Memorize that definition and give them the context of your team, compelled to tell the truth, gave us this.

For bonus points, ask them why this is a bad thing or show the absurdity of "FLORIDA IS WHERE the belief there are systemic injustices in American society and the need to address them GOES TO DIE"

Dirk the Average posted:

So apparently a right wing org got my e-mail somehow and started to send me their "news" blurbs. Not sure if they just data mined it or if my family signed me up. Regardless, it's hilarious just how transparently everything there is either yellow journalism, or some minor kernel of truth amped up to dwarf Everest.

It's interesting, because I know folks who eat this stuff up. You have to more or less be marinating in the ecosystem for any of it to make sense, and not come off as blatantly absurd.
I was signed up to Trump donation emails for a while for some reason and drat are those things well-calculated to part conservatives with their money

The Islamic Shock fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Jan 31, 2024

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
So apparently a right wing org got my e-mail somehow and started to send me their "news" blurbs. Not sure if they just data mined it or if my family signed me up. Regardless, it's hilarious just how transparently everything there is either yellow journalism, or some minor kernel of truth amped up to dwarf Everest.

It's interesting, because I know folks who eat this stuff up. You have to more or less be marinating in the ecosystem for any of it to make sense, and not come off as blatantly absurd.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

FlamingLiberal posted:

they think they're winning the culture wars but we have the certifiably insane 75 year old pedophile racist who accidentally chainsawed himself on his reality tv show, and .. kid rock's young, right? he's got kid in the name. he's bound to be jive fresh with the daddy-o's, right, that's how this works, spring chicken like jon voight over here

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Lol even before I checked I knew Ted Nugent was going to be near the top of their list. The man who poo poo and cried his way out of the draft so he'd have more time to sexually abuse children.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

John Wayne plays John Wayne

The way I like to put it to people is that Duke Morrison was a weird insecure dude who played a big strong cowboy named John Wayne, to the point where he didn't understand how other tough-guy actors could turn it off when they weren't playing one of those roles.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

He once was griping at Kirk Douglas for playing an artist, Van Gogh.

Douglas replied "Duke, we're actors!"

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

John Wayne was a giant raging rear end in a top hat so it doesn’t surprise me that the right loves him

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
People are very confused about the Taylor Swift backlash but it just loops back to how looney the right has gotten that they've alienated some of their own base.

quote:

I have 9 kids. I’ve had a teenager under my roof every day since 2007 - almost all girls.

I’ve gone to Hannah Montana and Demi Lovato concerts. I’ve cringed if my kids hummed a Lady Gaga song and I’ve talked my girls to help them minimize their Katy Perry fandom. I’ve turned off Ariane Grande (aka that skinny girl from Victorious) and nobody is going to a Billie Ellish concert while they live here.

Taylor Swift on the other hand is the least objectionable, least sexualized, least rainbow-pushing female pop star of my parental life.

She has a steady masculine boyfriend who courted her. She rearranges her schedule to be there for him, an engagement is likely in the card and hopefully marriage and kids after that. (Frankly - our abysmal US birthrate could use a good role model like TS + TK!)

Therefore, it is unbelievably stupid for MAGA & Trump to pick a fight with her.

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

I wonder what specifically Billie Eilish and Ariana Grande did

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Music sounds "too urban"

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021

Panfilo posted:

People are very confused about the Taylor Swift backlash but it just loops back to how looney the right has gotten that they've alienated some of their own base.
R. Kelly

That is to say, they should've known better because it takes a long time if ever to punish a very popular artist when they actually do something wrong. And I believe Taylor's brand image is pretty wholesome.

Aztec Galactus
Sep 12, 2002

tacodaemon posted:

They both did a gay, I would assume is the reason

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

tacodaemon posted:

Billie Eillish is from California and is very different in her music than the others. Therefore, satanist.

Ariana Grande is and Italian and I think is a democrat but also talks about sex despite her Nickelodeon star upbringings. So again, Satanist.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
skimming wikipedia Grande sang God is a Woman. oh and maybe is brownwashing herself?? or really likes tanning?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Swift is also exactly what the want in a female culture-hero: white, pretty, heterosexual, no tattoos, no piercings, no pink-and-blue hair, doesn't swear, isn't getting into nightclub fights at two in the morning, doesn't write songs about getting a bucket and a mop for that wet rear end pussy, and so on. If you built the ideal pop star for Red America in a clone lab, it would look exactly like Taylor Swift, someone to point to in opposition to Miley Cyrus and Meghan Thee Stallion and Billie Eillish and Lady Gaga and Beyonce and all the rest. And yet, she's not a chud - in fact, she appears to be a low-key normie Democrat. They see this as a slap in the face and a tremendous betrayal, and, well, here we are.

Trump kicking this off by being mad at her for getting the 2023 Time Person Of The Year nod instead of him is so goddamn funny, starting with the fact that it makes such perfect sense that Trump is literally the last person alive who give a poo poo about the Time Person Of The Year award.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?
The real crime is being named Ariana the Great and not even conquering, like, part of Anatolia or Persia.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Quorum posted:

The real crime is being named Ariana the Great and not even conquering, like, part of Anatolia or Persia.

Hey if the English can call Alfred the Great for his staggering accomplishment of "spent a lot of time hiding from Vikings in a swamp," I think we can give Ariana a pass.

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021

FMguru posted:

Swift is also exactly what the want in a female culture-hero: white, pretty, heterosexual, no tattoos, no piercings, no pink-and-blue hair, doesn't swear, isn't getting into nightclub fights at two in the morning, doesn't write songs about getting a bucket and a mop for that wet rear end pussy, and so on. If you built the ideal pop star for Red America in a clone lab, it would look exactly like Taylor Swift, someone to point to in opposition to Miley Cyrus and Meghan Thee Stallion and Billie Eillish and Lady Gaga and Beyonce and all the rest. And yet, she's not a chud - in fact, she appears to be a low-key normie Democrat. They see this as a slap in the face and a tremendous betrayal, and, well, here we are.

Trump kicking this off by being mad at her for getting the 2023 Time Person Of The Year nod instead of him is so goddamn funny, starting with the fact that it makes such perfect sense that Trump is literally the last person alive who give a poo poo about the Time Person Of The Year award.
And we're the snowflakes right

The Islamic Shock fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Feb 1, 2024

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Judges dismisses Disneys lawsuit saying that Desantis changed the law in retaliation because they opposed the Dont Say Gay law controlling how schools discuss gender and removed their self governing status.

The same self governing status that The Villages and Daytona have.
https://www.npr.org/2024/01/31/1228213346/disney-lawsuit-florida-governor-ron-desantis-thrown-out
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGYrWs9xlkY

OgNar fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Feb 1, 2024

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

OgNar posted:

Judges dismisses Disneys lawsuit saying that Desantis changed the law in retaliation because they opposed the Dont Say Gay law controlling how schools discuss gender and removed their self governing status.

The same self governing status that The Villages and Daytona have.
https://www.npr.org/2024/01/31/1228213346/disney-lawsuit-florida-governor-ron-desantis-thrown-out
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGYrWs9xlkY

It’s amazing how bad CHUDs are about understanding what the 1st amendment means.

The reason given for dismissing the case is exactly the reason why it should be allowed to go forward. You can’t pass laws simply to restrict speech. Particularly political speech.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

tacodaemon posted:

Billie Eilish's breakout song was "Bad Girl" - which if you're a red blooded Republican, has some highly objectionable lyrics. Tipper Gore would not approve.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

skeleton warrior posted:

It’s hilarious to me that, in reading this article, this guy is clearly a conservative who assumes everyone thinks like him and has made up what a “leftist” is, insisting it is someone who wants to trans everyone and cheers for looting and accuses everyone else of racism all the time, and he still can’t find that guy more insane the GOP mainline

Edit: PT6A makes the exact same point, in a much more grounded and far less weird “liberals want to end gender” way

Richard hanania is extremely racist and thinks you should be able to buy children for sex, one of the biggest freaks out there

quote:

Hanania, under the pseudonym, argued for eugenics, including the forcible sterilization of everyone with an IQ below 90.[4] He also denounced "race-mixing" and said that white nationalism "is the only hope".[6] He was opposed to immigration to the United States, saying that "the IQ and genetic differences between them and native Europeans are real, and assimilation is impossible". He cited a speech by neo-Nazi William Luther Pierce, who had used Haiti as an example to argue that black people were incapable of governing themselves.[4] The HuffPost described the persona as "a formative voice during the rise of the racist 'alt-right'".[4]
Hanania did not deny that he was "Richard Hoste", 

https://twitter.com/RichardHanania/status/1721191213381066880?t=m2wusuEslow0nf-07XdUmA&s=19

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Feb 1, 2024

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

Richard hanania is extremely racist and thinks you should be able to buy children for sex, one of the biggest freaks out there

https://twitter.com/RichardHanania/status/1721191213381066880?t=m2wusuEslow0nf-07XdUmA&s=19

that's some high quality what the gently caress context right there

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I know not all conservatives are like this, but it is really really funny when they get so goddamn defensive about stuff like this. He is getting death threats for teasing them over liking hard shell tacos ffs.
https://twitter.com/whstancil/status/1752675728720527857?t=QNQl955bPHs0DFqDR2FwCQ&s=19

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Shooting Blanks posted:

Billie Eilish's breakout song was "Bad Girl" - which if you're a red blooded Republican, has some highly objectionable lyrics. Tipper Gore would not approve.

Ariana was in that "Bang Bang" song with lots of time-to-gently caress lyrics like "I know you want it, I'll let you have it" that I would understand a parent feeling less than ecstatic about.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Panfilo posted:

I know not all conservatives are like this, but it is really really funny when they get so goddamn defensive about stuff like this. He is getting death threats for teasing them over liking hard shell tacos ffs.

the tacos not at home

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

Shooting Blanks posted:

Republican…Tipper Gore

And people say Democrats have just marched endlessly to the right.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Staluigi posted:

the tacos not at home

If Taco Bell managed to put a passable birria on the menu, we'd officially be in the Demolition Man future.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

FFT posted:

If Taco Bell managed to put a passable birria on the menu, we'd officially be in the Demolition Man future.

When/manages/we'll

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Reading the Wiki article about that film is hilarious. In that the director kept mercilessly mocking Wayne for not going to war to try and get the necessary performance out of him.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

The Question IRL posted:

Reading the Wiki article about that film is hilarious. In that the director kept mercilessly mocking Wayne for not going to war to try and get the necessary performance out of him.

mildly related, a great DBT song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JevmA_vI4A

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Space Fish posted:

Ariana was in that "Bang Bang" song with lots of time-to-gently caress lyrics like "I know you want it, I'll let you have it" that I would understand a parent feeling less than ecstatic about.

Okay Tipper