Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: GhostofJohnMuir)

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
i just believe strongly in making your snake facts punchy and accurate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
The actual New Testament parable of the sower has always felt like peak Jesus to me. The disciples challenge Jesus about why he just doesn't say what he means. He tells them that they're undeserving motherfuckers that don't even get why they're chosen and they're still going to get rewarded for it, while all of these other poor fucks are blind to everything and will lose it all. Makes you think

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

The Parable of the Sower and The Parable of the Grower

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

parable of the shower and it's about hygiene.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
I only read fiction where real-life author Stephen King is a character in the fiction of the book.

That means I only read about half of Stephen King's most recent output and the Princess Bride sequel book "Buttercup's Baby."

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
stephen king can watch in shock as i twerk across a major american boulevard

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
i had a very pleasing izakaya meal this evening. now i lay my head to sleep

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
https://twitter.com/DragonflyJonez/status/1754102895425781979

"'Who's a good boy' rear end cuisine" is inspired

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

The country that invented midwest "casserole" cuisine should probably not be throwing stones though.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Would, every dish and every frame.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Furnaceface posted:

The country that invented midwest "casserole" cuisine should probably not be throwing stones though.

You can't bring a minnesota hot dish within a mile of whatever deprivation tank cuisine this is

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
The pallet of an Alaskan malamute is the Home Depot trash your divorced uncle’s dog sleeps on (the dog loves the pallet and is happy)

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
can't believe the lapd disappeared killer mike for winning some grammy's

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

Calling himself Killer Mike was probably a mistake in retrospect.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

He was in possession of criminally slick flows.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Deteriorata posted:

Calling himself Killer Mike was probably a mistake in retrospect.

he's a killer of the capitalist hegemony

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

He was in possession of criminally slick flows.

officers saw him holding gold statuettes and assumed he stole them

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

man even as someone down to clown on our cuisine they managed to pick some guy who probably votes BNP every election as their example of "British Chinese food"

like we have Chinese people here

we kidnapped them from Hong Kong

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Tesseraction posted:

man even as someone down to clown on our cuisine they managed to pick some guy who probably votes BNP every election as their example of "British Chinese food"

like we have Chinese people here

we kidnapped them from Hong Kong

When I was in the U.K., every Chinese takeaway place topped your order with French fries, basically every type of noodle (regardless of size) was just called "Chow Mein," and everything was slathered in the same brown curry sauce you get at fish and chip places.

It's a weird culinary evolution.

Like American Chinese food, it is not really Chinese at all.

Unlike American Chinese food, it is barely even pretending to be.

*Note, this only applies to takeaway places. You can go to fancier sit-down restaurants in both the U.K. and America to get more authentic Chinese food.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
god, fake american chinese food can be so goooood though. the slippery shrimp at yangchow is completely inauthentic and also supremely delicious. i could polish off an entire serving plate on my own

does uk chinese share american chinese's preference for cornstarch and sweet sauces?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Every place also had "Chicken Balls" on the menu, which look like Sweet and Sour chicken without any Sweet and Sour sauce and using the same brown curry sauce instead, but I never actually ordered them to confirm.

I still laugh a little decades latter when I think about how many times I heard "Chicken Balls" and "Cockfosters" over there.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

does uk chinese share american chinese's preference for cornstarch and sweet sauces?

My experience was that they were much more into savory sauces and thick sauces. Lots of "British" sauces that you wouldn't find in American Chinese food like brown curry, satay sauce, or black bean sauce.

Duck sauce and sweet and sour sauce were pretty consistent.

They also weirdly had "American-style" BBQ sauce as a standard sauce for a ton of dishes.

A lot of places had a sweet chili sauce that was really good and not very common in American Chinese food.

They also give out puffy shrimp crackers as free sides instead of wontons or those crunchy fried sticks instead.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
black bean sauce is really common in fake american chinese food i thought

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Cease to Hope posted:

black bean sauce is really common in fake american chinese food i thought

There's types of black bean sauce on beef dishes in the U.S., but it was way more common in the U.K. for me.

The black bean sauce in the U.K. was also a lot thicker and pastier than the gloopy version in the U.S.

It's kind of a similar situation with satay sauce - you will sometimes see it in American Chinese takeout, but it was way more common in the U.K.

You mostly see satay sauce in Thai food in the U.S.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

When I was in the U.K., every Chinese takeaway place topped your order with French fries, basically every type of noodle (regardless of size) was just called "Chow Mein," and everything was slathered in the same brown curry sauce you get at fish and chip places.

It's a weird culinary evolution.

Jesus Christ

There's a lot of extremely cursed places on this hell isle but normally tourists don't encounter them. Where the hell did you go?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Tesseraction posted:

Jesus Christ

There's a lot of extremely cursed places on this hell isle but normally tourists don't encounter them. Where the hell did you go?

The main place I went was a Chinese takeaway in Holborn about 18 years ago. I lived there for two years, so it wasn't a tourist location or some place I sought out, it was just near my flat.

But, calling all noodles "Chow Mein" and having "Chow Mein" be the default noodle type seemed to be everywhere I went in London.

The U.K. Chinese food was weird, but not bad.

The Mexican food and bacon situation was dire.

Very good burgers, Indian food, kebab, and sausage rolls everywhere.

Thank you for attending my Ted Talk about food I had in London two decades ago.

Edit: Also, there was this Honeycomb candy from a vendor in Borough Market I used to get and haven't found anything exactly like it since. It was really good.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Feb 5, 2024

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

oh Keir Starmer's constituency

the kind of place that would elect him would have to be dire af

I live an hour north of outer london and thankfully we have real Chinese and real Mexican places because we have people actually from those countries who likely saw the "British" versions and switched careers to cooking out of disgust

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

if you want good Chinese in London you need to head north and west to the Camden area and Chinatown, where after a certain point you need to speak Mandarin to get the benefit of the area but the areas before will cater to the gweilos

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Tesseraction posted:

oh Keir Starmer's constituency

the kind of place that would elect him would have to be dire af

I live an hour north of outer london and thankfully we have real Chinese and real Mexican places because we have people actually from those countries who likely saw the "British" versions and switched careers to cooking out of disgust

You guys gotta start cutting your bacon vertically and making it crispy, though.

Maybe it's changed, but everywhere had a thick floppy disk of bacon.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

look you visited a cursed hole in the cursed metropolis that is inner london, not everywhere is like that

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Tesseraction posted:

look you visited a cursed hole in the cursed metropolis that is inner london, not everywhere is like that

The floppy bacon was everywhere in England and Scotland. It's the kind that comes with the full English and bacon sandwiches.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

The floppy bacon was everywhere in England and Scotland. It's the kind that comes with the full English and bacon sandwiches.

Not British floppy bacon but peameal bacon, the best bacon.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Tesseraction posted:

Do not trust the Leon, do not believe its lies

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

But, calling all noodles "Chow Mein" and having "Chow Mein" be the default noodle type seemed to be everywhere I went in London.

The UK is like 50 years behind the US then - I'm sure you could find some real old hole in walls or places trying to create a chinese mining town restaurant would say that

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
my boss's boss wants us back in the office tomorrow. internet and power are down with no eta on having them restored. i might be performatively sitting in my chair twiddling my thumbs for a good portion of this week

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
like forget the fact that most of the canyon roads we rely on are impassible, we literally can't do any work

it's like an eyeroll worthy parody of office life

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

my boss's boss wants us back in the office tomorrow. internet and power are down with no eta on having them restored. i might be performatively sitting in my chair twiddling my thumbs for a good portion of this week

I almost felt bad for you, but then I remembered you probably have a smart phone

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
i have a smart phone now, but my office is in the middle of the mountains so you're lucky to get enough signal to get send and recieve sms texts, never mind cruising the web

if our internet connection isn't back up i can't even send or receive phone calls. just completely useless

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

You are still part of the problem, my Muir friend

Feb 6, 2024
internet access in 2024 :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

rural australian chinese cuisine is a national treasure. give me that raspberry-red sweet and sour sauce. give me deep fried icecream and batter two inches thick on everything. give me life