Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

rip sturgeon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I always hate it when these hokey In Memoriam tributes interrupt my acquisition of sick loot.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog

Vermain posted:

i think it's a law of the universe that any time a game/film/whatever adds in a posthumous "in memory of X" dedication there's, like, a 95% chance it's being attached to a project that's gonna blow

Would 1998's Blasto (with Phil Hartman) be the earliest videogame example of this?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

ImpAtom posted:

The younger brother looks like he stole Tidus' hair.

Ah yes, Meg Ryan's hair

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Vermain posted:

i think it's a law of the universe that any time a game/film/whatever adds in a posthumous "in memory of X" dedication there's, like, a 95% chance it's being attached to a project that's gonna blow

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
The worst thing about Suicide Squad’s imminent bombing is that “extreme vertical mobility + guns” loving rules as a mechanic (hello Tribes) and the game’s failure is going to teach every single gaming executive the exact wrong lesson that “welp people just must not like extreme vertical mobility + guns, better just never put that in any game ever again, ahyuck” and that sickens me.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

i'd like to hope that what game companies will learn instead is that GaaS are dead and everyone hates superheroes now

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

GreatGreen posted:

The worst thing about Suicide Squad’s imminent bombing is that “extreme vertical mobility + guns” loving rules as a mechanic (hello Tribes) and the game’s failure is going to teach every single gaming executive the exact wrong lesson that “welp people just must not like extreme vertical mobility + guns, better just never put that in any game ever again, ahyuck” and that sickens me.

The lesson learned will probably be "don't release extended gameplay previews at all" because its widespread panning last year is why all the review outlets are comfortable calling it bad instead of just saying "we're cautiously optimistic about it" like what happens for every other major release.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
did Spider Man 2 sell well? its already on Playstation Gamepass so I wonder

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

it was like the third best-selling game of the year or something like that

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
But they need a new hot thing to make their AAA game about.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's also not on PS++ yet, unless you mean Miles Morales.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

exquisite tea posted:

The lesson learned will probably be "don't release extended gameplay previews at all" because its widespread panning last year is why all the review outlets are comfortable calling it bad instead of just saying "we're cautiously optimistic about it" like what happens for every other major release.

this is the more likely outcome, although the widespread panning is in no small part due to widescale resentment over GaaS having been brewing for years and suicide squad being a really big, obvious target for collective ire, especially given that it was foisted on a previously beloved studio

Zokari posted:

it was like the third best-selling game of the year or something like that

it moved 5 million in 11 days, which is drat impressive for a PS5 title. i think it flew under the critical radar because it was merely a rock solid title and not anything exceptional, as well as there being a general malaise regarding superheroes descending on the popular consciousness as it is

Vermain fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jan 31, 2024

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I guess they can all join the remake train and regurgitate their purchased IP history without understanding it.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Spider-Man 2 is an inferior game to Spider-Man 2

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

Sakurazuka posted:

It's also not on PS++ yet, unless you mean Miles Morales.

Ah its just a game trial my mistake lol. Also it sold loads so I guess people still love certain superhero stuff. Spider man is evergreen

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Spider-Man 2 is great and a fantastic example of what people clearly want from a super hero open world action game. More of that, and less whatever the gently caress Suicide Squad is.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

hatty posted:

Ah its just a game trial my mistake lol. Also it sold loads so I guess people still love certain superhero stuff. Spider man is evergreen

i think spiderman as an IP has managed to weather the storm in no small part due to spiderverse being such a tremendous and well-earned success, so there's a lot more goodwill towards it, especially with teens and young adults

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Spiderman is more popular than Batman and Superman combined, it can weather any storm.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

hatty posted:

People love them when they're good games

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Superhero games are often mobility games, and good mobility games are fun.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Why did PS5 apparently outsell XSX/XSS this generation? I had this long standing impression that ever since the PS3 era, Microsoft was eating Sony's lunch. I also remember that one goof in 2012(13?) where Microsoft initially made it impossible to trade games with people until Sony clowned them at E3 and they went back on it, but then everyone bought the Xbone anyway?

Anecdotally, nearly everyone I know has an Xbox over a Playstation. So every time I hear this come up, im always really surprised. Youtube links are fine too, im just really curious why/how it apparently shook out this way.

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

buglord posted:

Why did PS5 apparently outsell XSX/XSS this generation? I had this long standing impression that ever since the PS3 era, Microsoft was eating Sony's lunch. I also remember that one goof in 2012(13?) where Microsoft initially made it impossible to trade games with people until Sony clowned them at E3 and they went back on it, but then everyone bought the Xbone anyway?

Anecdotally, nearly everyone I know has an Xbox over a Playstation. So every time I hear this come up, im always really surprised. Youtube links are fine too, im just really curious why/how it apparently shook out this way.

no one bought the xbone, it was a huge loving disaster for microsoft

it sold like 60% what the 360 did and about half of the PS4

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

buglord posted:

I mean, apparently you weren't paying any attention during the Xbox One because that basically never recovered from its disastrous pre-launch controversy. PS4 was very much the clear winner there. And partly it was that momentum into the PS5, and also partly it's kind of Microsoft weakening the Xbox brand with initally confusing messaging about the new consoles and the Xbox brand in general, the Series S being seen as an albatross around the neck of this generation on a technical level, and MS's recent focus on Game Pass and simultaneous console/PC first party releases making the console itself feel a bit redundant

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

No exclusives. Gamepass is great, but you can just get that on PC too, and the quality of Microsoft's first party games this generation have been absolutely dire. No good AAA games, but Hi-Fi Rush, and Pentiment are very high marks too. This year looks like it might be a turn around with Hellblade 2, Indiana Jones, and Avowed though.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

buglord posted:

It can't be understated how much those early digital library investments carried forward. When a ton of folks decided to go with PS4 over xbox one that just kept carrying forward. Not many people will buy various games across multiple consoles - a lot of people stuck with their platform. Add to that, there aren't very many xbox exclusives that people would chose over playstation exclusives.

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

remember them aggressively pushing the kinect despite literally no one on earth liking the kinect

i don't think they did a single thing right with the bone

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Also the PS3 ultimately outsold the 360.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Did they ever update the Game Pass version of Palworld to be the same as the Steam version?

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

hatty posted:

did Spider Man 2 sell well? its already on Playstation Gamepass so I wonder

Gotta have some loss leaders on the service.
Loss leader probably isn’t the term, but I also don’t care.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Also as annoying as it can be sometimes, the pivot Sony made into having their first party games be the "prestige" AAA games worked out very well for them, and it gave them a first-party identity. Microsoft has....Halo and a bunch of stuff they bought.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Spider-Man is also one of the better main superheroes. Superman is an alien demigod raised in a rural environment and culture that doesn't actually exist anywhere. Batman is a psychotic billionaire who is terrible at stopping crime. Spider-Man is a regular person with the kinds of problems and life a human might be able to relate to in some way.

Plus the weird rights sharing thing means we usually get Spiderman movies not connected to Marvel DC crap.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

mutata posted:

Did they ever update the Game Pass version of Palworld to be the same as the Steam version?

Yes, I recall seeing a few goons in other threads say its been updated.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Zokari posted:

remember them aggressively pushing the kinect despite literally no one on earth liking the kinect

i don't think they did a single thing right with the bone

I think MS had the great misfortune of betting everything on the Kinect when 3D party games were very much a fad. But they were huge during that 2010-2012 era, you might be forgiven for thinking Guitar Hero was going to continue ruling the world.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I don't know a single person irl that bought a Bone or a XSX. As far as I can tell they're both massive flops - it's Gamepass that's the success.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I am that depraved freak that owned the original Xbone, then the Xbox One S, and then the Xbox One X. Now I have an Xbox Series X, and Game Pass Ultimate.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Xbone boned it up but they also can't seem to releases great games at a consistent rate. Like the Xbox one was bad but you can't blame that forever it's been a decade! Nintendo also took a hit with the Wii U but they turned it around by releasing appealing hardware with a great library Microsoft has figured out the first step but can't figure out the great library part

hatty fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jan 31, 2024

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
They're selling about half as many. It's not getting thrashed, like the PS2 vs Xbox (~6:1) era or utterly destroyed like the Saturn and Dreamcast were.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't think they've made a single Halo game that people really liked in like a decade

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Xbox will outsell Playstation next generation when CoD is console exclusive.