Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
I am working too much and I would rather be playing Like a Dragon Infinite Wealth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
The two Ogre heads yelling at each was the best sound byte in the game

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
AoE2 was and still is the best RTS, in my humble opinion

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Pron on VHS posted:

My brother and I would yell "stop rocking the boat!" based on the destroyer ship all the time.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Hot Diggity! posted:

hell yea

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
https://twitter.com/Blair_Bear90/status/1752478326847914346?t=4U5hFg1OoMVV3NIjo2qWzQ&s=19

This made me think of our EMS goons here. On that note, do any of y'all have other global, general orientation questions that you use? I have asked what 2+2 is because while a math question, its so basic, it shouldn't actually activate the computational section of the brain unless they are like 6 years old.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Hot Diggity! posted:

I will forever love the early C&C games. The music was so loving good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3YzmjmAGoI

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

swickles posted:

https://twitter.com/Blair_Bear90/status/1752478326847914346?t=4U5hFg1OoMVV3NIjo2qWzQ&s=19

This made me think of our EMS goons here. On that note, do any of y'all have other global, general orientation questions that you use? I have asked what 2+2 is because while a math question, its so basic, it shouldn't actually activate the computational section of the brain unless they are like 6 years old.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2w6kHS_IRrE

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Pron on VHS posted:

This way no that way

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Joey Freshwater posted:

I was looking for a movie to watch last night and coming up empty so I looked at IMDB’s top 250 for ideas.

#1 is Shawshank - fine, awesome movie, seen it tons of times and it’s just as good every time.

#2 Godfather - sure why not classic film

#3 Dark Knight - …..huh? I like TDK but, top 3 all time??

Here, use this list instead (replace Winter Soldier with Edge of Tomorrow, but otherwise you can pretty much go top down)
https://filmschoolrejects.com/best-action-movies-decade/5/

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

trevorreznik posted:

Here, use this list instead (replace Winter Soldier with Edge of Tomorrow, but otherwise you can pretty much go top down)

I just rewatched Edge of Tomorrow last night. Still rules.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

I just rewatched Edge of Tomorrow last night. Still rules.

It's a lot of fun. I watched most of it a few months ago after powering through a pretty rough Park Chan-Wook (lady vengeance) and needed something pleasant and familiar. Just kept watching more and more scenes in it.

That list is in ranked order so it's really weird they dropped the ball on that specific movie.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Dune II was the original RTS and getting to play it when it came out was absolutely revelatory. My friend and I still quote it occasionally. "WORMSIGN." "HARKONNEN UNIT... HAPPROACHING". etc. It was basically remastered with Dune 2000, which you can still play on a modern system I believe, and it's worth an hour or five for a solid hit of nostalgia now and again.

AOE2 was really really good too. Somehow I never had or played the command and conquer games. I was poor when they came out and I think I was playing a shitload of Civ and just never went in on it.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Leperflesh posted:

Dune II was the original RTS and getting to play it when it came out was absolutely revelatory. My friend and I still quote it occasionally. "WORMSIGN." "HARKONNEN UNIT... HAPPROACHING". etc. It was basically remastered with Dune 2000, which you can still play on a modern system I believe, and it's worth an hour or five for a solid hit of nostalgia now and again.

AOE2 was really really good too. Somehow I never had or played the command and conquer games. I was poor when they came out and I think I was playing a shitload of Civ and just never went in on it.

C&C Remastered is on Steam and it's an awesome way to relive the past. The pack comes with OG C&C and Red Alert plus their expansions. It's only 20 bucks!

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Back in that era I was visiting Hong Kong yearly and buying tons and tons of bootleg game CD's and I remember this one RTS I've never been able to find anything out about, I suspect the game was never released.

There were 4 factions, kinda starcraft style gameplay, one of which were fully plant units and another that were these weird salamandar monk looking guys with psionic powers. Game was really neat but would inevitably crash after like 20 minutes.

I probably enjoyed Total Annihilation the most out of RTS's. Just building gigantic defense networks and watching the AI throw endless numbers of enemies at it. Just fun to watch. Terribly balanced and so many utterly useless units, but man they were cool, no matter how long it took them to setup, start launching the slowest, inaccurate projectiles imaginable.

trevorreznik posted:

It's a lot of fun. I watched most of it a few months ago after powering through a pretty rough Park Chan-Wook (lady vengeance) and needed something pleasant and familiar. Just kept watching more and more scenes in it.

That list is in ranked order so it's really weird they dropped the ball on that specific movie.

Man, I love Sympathy for Lady Vengeance. The scene with the parents and the videos is one of the most intense scenes I've sat through in any movie

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I acknowledge that AOE2 is a much better game, but I'll always have a soft spot for AOE1. I was a Nintendo Kid, and that and Myst were the first two PC games that I played that really stuck in my young brain as "wow you could never do this on a console".

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Now Populous, that's a proto-RTS with some hair on it.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Kalli posted:

Man, I love Sympathy for Lady Vengeance. The scene with the parents and the videos is one of the most intense scenes I've sat through in any movie

I have a 7 year old and could barely get through it. Sometimes Korean culture mystifies me, especially their love of dead kids in cinema.

trevorreznik fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jan 31, 2024

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

swickles posted:

Happened to me less than an hour ago lol

I ask basic money questions (how much money is 5 quarters). Then have them do simple commands. Point to the ceiling with your right hand and floor with left. Then standard orienting stuff otherwise. I find command stuff is good because on folks who may not otherwise present confused will manifest it there.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

trevorreznik posted:

I have a 7 year old and could barely get through it. Sometimes Korean culture mystifies me, especially their love of dead kids in cinema.

It's an amazing bit, though it took me a rewatch to go... wait a minute, how do you get kids to act in a scene like that? and so believably.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Kalli posted:

Now Populous, that's a proto-RTS with some hair on it.

I remember playing that on my Amiga 600, the long forgotten stepchild in the Amiga family

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
Fond memories of telling my mom not to pick up the phone as I played Warcraft 1 against my friend down the street over TCP/IP on my 25 mhz computer. Our strategy was sit around until you can summon 4 demons or water elementals, then attack. It is probably not the preferred meta now. There were like 5 Mac games back then, so everyone with a Mac had a similar library.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Grozz Nuy posted:

That's the one I'm talking about, it's just weird calling it 'The Batman'. I appreciated that they actually made the effort of showing Batman doing detective poo poo. The Nolan movies more felt like he was just making action movies that happened to have Batman in them, Reeves feels like he understands the nature of those characters better while still finding a way to translate them into a more realistic setting.

Cosmonaut Variety Hour recently did a two video series on all the Batman movies on his Youtube channel, and something he pointed out about the Nolan movies that I very much agree with is that starting with TDK is that Nolan really seems to have resented the fact that he was making superhero movies (and even if that wasn't true for TDK, it was for Rises)

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal

trevorreznik posted:

Excellent list, I would add Sicario.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

swickles posted:

Ask “Roll Tide?”

You should get some good responses either way.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Every time I see someone mention Diablo II it makes me mad that Marvel Heroes is dead

There are people trying to revive it via server emulator but who knows how long it will take if it will ever work right.. or just get poo poo canned by the mouse if it does

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Bird in a Blender posted:

I did the same thing. I thought Christopher Reeves and then I thought he was talking about the 60's Batman movie because I conflated Christopher Reeves with Adam West. To be fair, the 60's Batman movie rocks so I totally believe someone thinking that's the best one.

George Reeves.

Christopher Reeve.

One day, people will get this right.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Timby posted:

George Reeves.

Christopher Reeve.

Boobs Bart

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Grozz Nuy posted:

That's the one I'm talking about, it's just weird calling it 'The Batman'. I appreciated that they actually made the effort of showing Batman doing detective poo poo. The Nolan movies more felt like he was just making action movies that happened to have Batman in them, Reeves feels like he understands the nature of those characters better while still finding a way to translate them into a more realistic setting.
TDK had that long sequence with matching bullet fragments but... yeah that was pretty much it huh

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Silly Burrito posted:

Ask “Roll Tide?”

You should get some good responses either way.

lol, up til a month ago you could have probably asked "who is the coach of Alabama" and gotten the same correct response rate as POTUS

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Fifty Three posted:

TDK had that long sequence with matching bullet fragments but... yeah that was pretty much it huh

He did more detective work in Begins than in TDK, I think

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Fifty Three posted:

"Long?" The sequence of Bruce running the computations to match the bullet fragments is, like, 40 seconds.

Shinji2015 posted:

He did more detective work in Begins than in TDK, I think

Despite having a bad batsuit, Begins is also the best of the trilogy and it isn't even close.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

swickles posted:

lol, up til a month ago you could have probably asked "who is the coach of Alabama" and gotten the same correct response rate as POTUS

It was way worse under Obama. You can imagine what I heard in rural SC.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

trevorreznik posted:

The Night Comes For Us is my favorite on the list. That fight in the butcher shop... :suspense: :stonklol:

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Also, just finished watching justice League and it deserves the hate it gets. They tried to cram way too much into two hours and it feels rushed, and the CG is bad, especially for Cyborg.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Timby posted:

"Long?" The sequence of Bruce running the computations to match the bullet fragments is, like, 40 seconds.

Despite having a bad batsuit, Begins is also the best of the trilogy and it isn't even close.

TDK is the better crime movie, Begins is the better Batman movie.

LeeMajors posted:

It was way worse under Obama. You can imagine what I heard in rural SC.

Don't need to imagine lol

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Quiet Feet posted:

Also, just finished watching justice League and it deserves the hate it gets. They tried to cram way too much into two hours and it feels rushed, and the CG is bad, especially for Cyborg.

I watched Josstice League once and only once.

It is the rare disaster of a movie that I have zero desire to ever re-watch, because it isn't even fascinatingly terrible (like, say, the Raul Julia Street Fighter movie, the Stallone Judge Dredd, things of that ilk). It's just bad.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

swickles posted:

"No, it's not Bernie"

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Hmmm what is a rat with wings, better head to the Bat cave and fire up my Cray supercomputer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Kalli posted:

Back in that era I was visiting Hong Kong yearly and buying tons and tons of bootleg game CD's and I remember this one RTS I've never been able to find anything out about, I suspect the game was never released.

There were 4 factions, kinda starcraft style gameplay, one of which were fully plant units and another that were these weird salamandar monk looking guys with psionic powers. Game was really neat but would inevitably crash after like 20 minutes.

I probably enjoyed Total Annihilation the most out of RTS's. Just building gigantic defense networks and watching the AI throw endless numbers of enemies at it. Just fun to watch. Terribly balanced and so many utterly useless units, but man they were cool, no matter how long it took them to setup, start launching the slowest, inaccurate projectiles imaginable.

I'm friends with a guy who was in the core design group on Total Annihilation and then was the lead for the sequels and anytime anything remotely related to RTS games comes up he mentions his work on Total Annihilation, lol. There's a new game in the works that will combine traditional RTS with Factorio style resource production but I don't know if there's any slated release date yet.