Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

cat botherer posted:

christ I hate that fucker. He tried his best to stop the light rail there, because apparently have easy transit to near his mall would be bad for business.

yeah he loves cars because people buy more stuff when they have a car to put the stuff in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 minutes!

Nitrousoxide posted:

Now compare that to a bus.

Greyhound is being actively dissected to extract any money that's left in it, I've got a video I watched around here somewhere about how traveling across the US via bus in the wake of Greyhound closing their stations is a horror show

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
saw a car hit a pedestrian today. had to call triple zero and made sure an ambulance got on scene but luckily an emergency room doctor and a nurse were on scene to help her. can't have been going more than 30 kmh or so but she got launched into the air higher than the car, jfc. gently caress cars.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Minera posted:

saw a car hit a pedestrian today. had to call triple zero and made sure an ambulance got on scene but luckily an emergency room doctor and a nurse were on scene to help her. can't have been going more than 30 kmh or so but she got launched into the air higher than the car, jfc. gently caress cars.

let me guess, they were walking around looking down on their phone?

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Second Hand Meat Mouth posted:

let me guess, they were walking around looking down on their phone?

nah, she was trying to cross near an intersection of stopped traffic, but the turning lane was still open and had cars moving, so she didn't look while running out from between stopped cars.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Minera posted:

nah, she was trying to cross near an intersection of stopped traffic, but the turning lane was still open and had cars moving, so she didn't look while running out from between stopped cars.

knew it was her fault, thanks

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

knew it was her fault, thanks

gently caress you dawg

Apr 7, 2003
Probation

Mister Speaker posted:

gently caress you dawg

I think he's being sarcastic

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Minera posted:

Im sorry you witnessed that. It must have been horrible. I hate seeing others get hurt. gently caress cars. gently caress car culture

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I think he's being sarcastic

Just a lovely unfunny "pro-car" gimmick poster for like the 4th time

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

silicone thrills posted:

Im sorry you witnessed that. It must have been horrible. I hate seeing others get hurt. gently caress cars. gently caress car culture

yeah i was driving with minera in the passenger seat and we were right behind the car that hit her, minera got a "better" view since the pedestrian came in from her side of the road. she was alive and conscious but definitely pretty hurt, might have broken her arm hitting the ground

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Just a lovely unfunny "pro-car" gimmick poster for like the 4th time

cars can be bad and pedestrians can be dumb, nothing contradictory

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

people can be dumb, that's just how things work. infrastructure is supposed to make sure that isn't fatal.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

if there was a mechanism which instantaneously incinerated all cars that could have prevented this person’s injuries

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

LonsomeSon posted:

if there was a mechanism which instantaneously incinerated all cars that could have prevented this person’s injuries

or lower speed limits and better lines of sight near pedestrian traffic? more frequent marked crosswalks?

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

or lower speed limits and better lines of sight near pedestrian traffic? more frequent marked crosswalks?

not sold tbh but im willing to give it a shot

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Literally any enforcement of traffic laws at all world be a good start

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

I think I like that guy's incinerator idea better

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

The Maroon Hawk posted:

I think I like that guy's incinerator idea better

won't that just result in people getting run over by cars that are on fire?

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

we can make a disintegrator I just didn’t want to overask on my pitch

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

so can your posts

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Transparent phones so people can look at the road while they scroll memes.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Cup Runneth Over posted:

so can your posts

not bad

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

there is a crosswalk here that's fairly long, enough that theres plenty of room for a car to fit by when someone is in the first half, and I was running across it the other day and not one, not two, but three cars all did not stop or slow down at all when I was halfway through. the last one very visibly moved slightly further away from me so i know the fucker saw me and decided to just plow on through.

never taking it for granted that cars will stop again, gonna wait for plenty of space always. gahhhh

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

my bony fealty posted:

there is a crosswalk here that's fairly long, enough that theres plenty of room for a car to fit by when someone is in the first half, and I was running across it the other day and not one, not two, but three cars all did not stop or slow down at all when I was halfway through. the last one very visibly moved slightly further away from me so i know the fucker saw me and decided to just plow on through.

never taking it for granted that cars will stop again, gonna wait for plenty of space always. gahhhh

People do that here too and I hate it. What if I slip or trip rear end in a top hat! You can wait four seconds!

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

every other week, someone posts in my local reddit imploring people making a left turn camp themselves out in the middle of the intersection to help with traffic "efficiency". about half the people are like gently caress yeah: "i even do it when i have a left turning lane!" the other half are gently caress no: "everyone runs red lights, and i'm going to die." when you try to go straight when you get the green, 4 cars will make that left in front of you. i've been honking at them lately, because i've had enough close calls being a pedestrian/biker when they're all whipping lefts across the crosswalk, YOLO!

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

HashtagGirlboss posted:

People do that here too and I hate it. What if I slip or trip rear end in a top hat! You can wait four seconds!

going to carry caltrops with me and spike the road for these motherfuckers

Apr 7, 2003
Probation

quote:

Police said officers found a man who had been shot multiple times. He was taken to a local hospital in critical condition.

The suspect was identified as Joseph Luman, 45. Police told Channel 11 that an argument over money led to the shooting.

During the investigation, a car matching Luman’s was spotted in the area. Brentwood police initiated a traffic stop, but the car fled. It stopped at the intersection of Route 51 and Route 88.

Can't believe the car kidnapped that dude

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name

HashtagGirlboss posted:

You can wait four seconds!

I think that's the kind of thing that'll get you a probe around here for violence against cars

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

I’m not even moving slow! Not that slow walkers shouldn’t be able to cross safely, of course they should, but when I’m at full running pace I can cross a four lane street in less than five seconds. I know this because I can time myself by the blinking crosswalk countdown timer

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

HashtagGirlboss posted:

I’m not even moving slow! Not that slow walkers shouldn’t be able to cross safely, of course they should, but when I’m at full running pace I can cross a four lane street in less than five seconds. I know this because I can time myself by the blinking crosswalk countdown timer

If you cross the street quickly then you're moving too fast and it's not safe, and it's really on you if a hapless driver is forced to watch as their car accidents you. if you cross slowly then that's also not safe, you might frustrate drivers and make them angry and then they will have a purposeful accident in which their car hits you. basically there's no way to cross the road without becoming responsible for whatever a car does to you

Apr 7, 2003
Probation

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Local social media re commuting through the student ghetto posted:

I commute to work in Oakland- I usually cut behind Fifth and Forbes, and am lucky enough to have to make turns at lights w arrows. If it's a crosswalk w/o a light with a mob, I will inch forward to be like "you had your turn I'm coming now."

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

love when there's someone pushing a stroller across the crosswalk and cars don't stop or slow down at all. infact they speed up to try and obliterate that baby.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Rauros posted:

every other week, someone posts in my local reddit imploring people making a left turn camp themselves out in the middle of the intersection to help with traffic "efficiency". about half the people are like gently caress yeah: "i even do it when i have a left turning lane!" the other half are gently caress no: "everyone runs red lights, and i'm going to die." when you try to go straight when you get the green, 4 cars will make that left in front of you. i've been honking at them lately, because i've had enough close calls being a pedestrian/biker when they're all whipping lefts across the crosswalk, YOLO!

Here, rushing into a left turn to beat oncoming traffic is legally considered stunt driving, but the cops don't give a poo poo and as a pedestrian you just kind of expect 3-4 cars to barrel through your crosswalk from any direction.

Apr 7, 2003
Probation

Ensign Expendable posted:

Here, rushing into a left turn to beat oncoming traffic is legally considered stunt driving, but the cops don't give a poo poo and as a pedestrian you just kind of expect 3-4 cars to barrel through your crosswalk from any direction.

Two kids got hit in a crosswalk here doing that and they refused to charge the driver because the kids supposedly weren't in a crosswalk

I don't know how you cross at this intersection and not be in a crosswalk. the crime scene picture had a pile of clothes and blood right in the crosswalk. Utterly infuriating.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Two kids got hit in a crosswalk here doing that and they refused to charge the driver because the kids supposedly weren't in a crosswalk

I don't know how you cross at this intersection and not be in a crosswalk. the crime scene picture had a pile of clothes and blood right in the crosswalk. Utterly infuriating.

well there you go: they weren't in the crosswalk, just their clothes and blood

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Probably did one of these, thereby forfeiting their lives.

Apr 7, 2003
Probation

withak posted:

Probably did one of these, thereby forfeiting their lives.

Nope, hit crossing Brighton. At worst they were a few feet off the paint.

If you won't charge or sanction a driver for running over two children while trying to beat a red light, you won't charge them for anything and it's a clear message to pedestrians that their lives don't matter.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

my bony fealty posted:

love when there's someone pushing a stroller across the crosswalk and cars don't stop or slow down at all. infact they speed up to try and obliterate that baby.

They're trying to spare that baby from dying slowly in the coming water wars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

it's a clear message to pedestrians that their lives don't matter.

And a clear message to drivers that you can get away with literally anything!