Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

https://hyperkinstore.com/hyperkin-limited-edition-pixel-art-bluetooth-controller-official-oscar-mayer-hot-dog/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

My brain can't handle having Steam Deck with the correct (Nintendo) layout but then having some games' internal iconography not match.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

It sucks these controllers have that awful looking jagged bottom. That poo poo looks designed to hurt your fingers.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

Why? :smith:

MaxDuo
Aug 13, 2010

Hammer Bro. posted:

My brain can't handle having Steam Deck with the correct (Nintendo) layout but then having some games' internal iconography not match.

I remember playing some game on Steam using the Wii U Pro controller a long time ago and it was really hard to do various QTEs and some other things in it as you learned more and more stuff because it would display the Xbox 360 buttons.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Hammer Bro. posted:

Playing old shmups that are a port of a console port of an arcade game, and it's just trying out all the controls anew for every game.

With some of them, containing multiple versions within the same piece of software, I've found the accept and back buttons switching places from the top level menu to in game menus.
B'ah!

B33rChiller fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jan 31, 2024

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

MaxDuo posted:

I remember playing some game on Steam using the Wii U Pro controller a long time ago and it was really hard to do various QTEs and some other things in it as you learned more and more stuff because it would display the Xbox 360 buttons.

I ran into that exact problem playing Lego Jurassic World. I was, in fact, using an XBox controller, but I don't really look at button labels. To me, the X button is on the top (etc. Nintendo layout). I could not force it through my brain that the buttons were rotated 90 degrees.

For some reason, I have no problem with Playstation layout. Maybe because the buttons are all different for that (except the X button but that has never tripped me up).

I can also pretty easily swap my brain between which of "B" or "A" are confirm/cancel. But the XBox button thing is a bridge too far.

In conclusion brains are weird!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I think all games should have the joycon iconography of clearly denoting the position of the intended button on a small icon.

In other words, showing the player they need to press the bottom button for <this>, and then the right-side button for <that>.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I think all games should have the joycon iconography of clearly denoting the position of the intended button on a small icon.

In other words, showing the player they need to press the bottom button for <this>, and then the right-side button for <that>.

You should have enough fluency to be able to do this automatically

Fyodorovich
Dec 12, 2004

MASSACRE, at Lyons, i. 336; caused by jealousy, iii. 260
I keep getting IG ads for Mario vs. Donkey Kong and now I want it really bad and I’m playing DK94 and I just want more of this in my veins

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
This gave me a lol

https://twitter.com/MarioBrothBlog/status/1752350851371336029?t=wvO5Z7a-69o5yHQzUVtN4A&s=19

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
we have merio at home

MaxDuo
Aug 13, 2010

I think in this case it actually was showing that in some cases....? But since the Xbox and Wii U buttons were switched 90 degrees it was more confusing to see that.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
that's the second time someone has said the layouts were rotated 90 degrees and I can't tell if they're wrong or if I'm thinking of this backwards or something

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
Yeah, I don’t think I know what we’re talking about either :saddowns:

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Bleck posted:

that's the second time someone has said the layouts were rotated 90 degrees and I can't tell if they're wrong or if I'm thinking of this backwards or something

they're wrong, nintendo to microsoft swaps the left and top buttons, and the bottom and right buttons

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Looper posted:

they're wrong, nintendo to microsoft swaps the left and top buttons, and the bottom and right buttons

Yeah, that's being rotated by 90 degrees

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Hammer Bro. posted:

I could've sworn steam had a feature for some games, at least, to swap the graphics for the right controller. I believe when I played Monster Hunter World with a Switch controller on PC that it changed everything over, although maybe I'm mistaken.

That way I had the "correct" icons and control mappings to match the Nintendo games.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Spanish Manlove posted:

No. If it was Xbox going to Nintendo layout, being rotated 90 degrees, A would be on the left.

-90 degrees would put A on the right but B at the top. And that's not getting into the X and Y button movement during all of this.

Nintendo <-> Xbox layout is the swapping of the A/B locations, and swapping the X/Y locations, independent of each other.

There's no rotating.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Spanish Manlove posted:

vile troll, begone

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Nintendo <-> Xbox layout is the swapping of the A/B locations, and swapping the X/Y locations, independent of each other.

lol this throws me off each and every time I play Xbox

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
They call it the Xbox 360 because you rotate the buttons 90 degrees four times then swap them then walk away

MaxDuo
Aug 13, 2010

Bleck posted:

I think The issue was more of I used some cheap weird adapter that let me use the Wii U Pro controller with my PC and everything thought it was an Xbox 360 controller so it was telling me different buttons and such too.... or it might be like... an image of a green button or whatever in the prompt.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

No. If it was Xbox going to Nintendo layout, being rotated 90 degrees, A would be on the left.

-90 degrees would put A on the right but B at the top. And that's not getting into the X and Y button movement during all of this.

There's no rotating.

It's a mirror flip, not a rotatiohole

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
rotatiohole??

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

So that’s what the kids are calling it these days

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

HopperUK posted:

rotatiohole??

Half a slice o'pi, mathemagically speaking.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Mario vs. DK demo is out. I’m pretty excited for this remake since DK94 is one of my favorite games, but I could never get into the original version of this, due to the ugly pre-rendered graphics and that crackly rear end GBA sound.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.
I remember being super excited about Mario vs. DK back in the day because I too was a huge DK94 fan, but I never finished it. It just didn't have the same magic. I'm debating whether to give it another try with the remake.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
I actually played MvDK before '94, and remember being shocked at how much better '94 was.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
They seem to have removed the score attack element from the MvsDK Remake which I appreciate

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Lame that was like the whole challenge. Unlocking the secret area felt like an incredible accomplishment as a kid.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
The score thing felt out of place coming from DK94 at the time but you’re right about it adding to the challenge. Now I’m kinda mixed on the change

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I'm gonna play on casual mode and just chillax for this game

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Notable February 2024 releases:

2-02-2024 Jujutsu Kaisen Cursed Clash ($59.99, $79.99 or $99.99), rated T
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdmEANJLrYs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jk31aQbHwA
I don't know, some kind of anime thing. It's like some kind of 3rd person fighting game. Sounds like performance issues on Switch

2-14-2024 Tomb Raider I-III Remastered Starring Lara Croft ($29.99, but 10% off the first day), rated M
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hk55TwWYTFg
Upgraded visuals. You can toggle between old and new graphics whenever you want. Includes all secret levels and expansions.

2-16-2024 Mario and Donkey Kong ($49.99, :siren:DEMO AVAILABLE:siren:), rated E
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAX_ObgMj0U
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CAVuZsgbLk
Remake of the GBA game. Donkey Kong stole mini-Marios from the factory and for some reason Mario gives a poo poo. Includes "newly added co-op play, brand-new worlds, updated music and visuals, and other new ways to play."

2-27-2024 Shiren the Wanderer: The Mystery Dungeon of Serpentcoil Island ($59.99), rated E
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWcnteR5Mco
Shiren's still out there wandering. This is a roguelike, and I think it's one of those games where you take a step and all the enemies on the map take a step too? This one supposed to be "back to basics". New system features too.

Looks like kind of a light month, if I missed anything interesting, post it

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

*wanders into thread specifically to ask when the F the Tomb Raider remaster is coming out...*

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Notable February 2024 releases:

2-14-2024 Tomb Raider I-III Remastered Starring Lara Croft ($29.99, but 10% off the first day), rated M
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hk55TwWYTFg
Upgraded visuals. You can toggle between old and new graphics whenever you want. Includes all secret levels and expansions.

Oh, there it is.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I'm probably going to get that, I've said for a while the old tomb raiders are just too archaic too really enjoy these days but there is enough nostalgia on offer that needs a revisit

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I think the Tomb Raider collection also lets you toggle between original and more modern controls

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I think the Tomb Raider collection also lets you toggle between original and more modern controls

Sold day one!

Actually really looking forward to these, tomb raider anniversary is maybe the best remake/ upgrade I've played but it changed the original in a lot of ways that made it better but less nostalgic.

I never completed 2 or 3 back in the day, mostly watched my dad play them so that will certainly bring back memories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Yes. I assume it's still grid-based movement, but there's a toggle between "classic" tank controls and "modern" dual-stick controls where the camera is on the right stick and you move based on that. The Playstation Blog details all the changes and new features.