Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

‘Seductive mirage’: US tech diplomat urges democracies to unite against China

this guy is Lt Fick from generation kill btw, he’s done okay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

‘Seductive mirage’: US tech diplomat urges democracies to unite against China

it's so good that Americans openly tell their allies that you have to give up on national sovereignty now, we have no other way to stop China, come on dude, trust me

The only thing better is how the targets of this nod sagely and agree that our American alliance preserves our freedom and independence

this would be so much funnier if i wasn't in one of the countries lining up to 'unite against china'

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

this guy is Lt Fick from generation kill btw, he’s done okay.

Oh so literally a barbarian who spent his career plundering other countries.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Orange Devil posted:

Oh so literally a barbarian who spent his career plundering other countries.

Marine, Afghanistan Vet, Army Airborn Recon Training, Iraq Invasion Vet, Harvard Business School, Board of Dartmouth, JP Morgan Chase advisory council member, and cybersecurity CEO, Obama Booster, and now Biden Ambassador (he'll go back into the private sector when Trump takes office)

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
a perfect David Simon character basically

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

Telluric Whistler posted:

There's been a bevy of articles about the plight of expats in HK and yeah it probably has something to do with the upcoming series and how you can generate clicks and article topics off of media properties. Probably not a coincidence but also not part of the marketing.

As expected expats are very angry about people making fun of the terrible series. Nicole Kidman dancing and singing in a 茶餐廳 is peak expat vibes.

back in 2002 I would hear the same poo poo about HK while I was in Shenzhen.

oh no the western finance people are going to leave…

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
ChunKing express is a good movie. I don't care about Wang's other movies. I think his style is only good random slice-of-life story collages. That, or showcase new TV set.

In the mood for love is in similar style and also decent.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Fallen Angels is better than Chungking Express and Happy Together is one of the best lgbtq movies ever made. In the Mood is my favorite and it's sequel 2046 is also strong. The rest don't quite reach as high.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Hasbro Seeks to Sell IP “DND” and Has Had Preliminary Contact with Tencent

Chairman Xi, please bring back 4e, The People's Edition

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

"Paramount Leader, what if we made dungeons and dragons a state property of the People's Republic of China?"

*immediately sets up a commissariat in the assembly to do a thorough and general review of the chunk for a new edition* "the level of fuckery in these last releases I swear of course let's do it"

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

crepeface posted:

oh, that reminds me of a good post from the auspol thread about australia's sovereignty

second bolded part basically is the US/UK policy for every country dumb enough to go along with it (finland, germany, basically all of the EU)

iirc with the aukus the aussies traded away actual submarines they were buying from the french, for a promise that they might get older submarines from the us

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

lol excited for the epic tencent gamer discussion again

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
I welcome 1980s-style scares of "diabolical Chinese witchcraft" manuals corrupting America's youth.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
"What if Dwarves build large scaled irrigation infrastructure to fight drought?"

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

finally the artificer class will have the treatment it deserves

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
roll truth from facts

Yadoppsi
May 10, 2009
We can all surely agree wizards are the international bourgeoisie and sorcerors are national bourgeoisie but are magewrights kulaks or petit-bougie?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Mantis42 posted:

Fallen Angels is better than Chungking Express and Happy Together is one of the best lgbtq movies ever made. In the Mood is my favorite and it's sequel 2046 is also strong. The rest don't quite reach as high.

have you been to the 2046 themed hunan restaurant chain in shenzhen? it’s called 2046 hunan kitchen iirc

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Yadoppsi posted:

We can all surely agree wizards are the international bourgeoisie and sorcerors are national bourgeoisie but are magewrights kulaks or petit-bougie?

warlocks are petit-bourgie

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

As long as they undo the race homogenization 5e did I'm all for it

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I listen to Jake Sullivan's speech on China (after he had another meeting with Wang Yi) because youtube recommended it a few times. Really nothing to new worth talk about, you can tell the US side didn't get anything on the subject of Red Sea.

But he mentioned AI a few times and talk about an upcoming AI summit. Feels like this is another manufactured conflict/talking point the Biden white house came up with to have a "win" against China, now that they are not getting any good news from the semiconductor industry. I mean the US AI industry is already rampantly stealing past human artistic works, what are you going to tell China to regulate?

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Grapplejack posted:

As long as they undo the race homogenization 5e did I'm all for it

You can just houserule that. Wizards won't arrest you

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

You can just houserule that. Wizards won't arrest you

you're talking about a company that sent the literal Pinkertons against someone. Don't be so sure.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
what if that guy had bad vibes?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

surely enterprising chinese nerds have already built their own tabletop systems instead of having to rely on western "intellectual property"

though it's really funny to think that even western IP will be sold to china for a pittance

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

It's a small thing, but it's wild to see history just get rewritten due to a corporate merger. Parker Brothers became a world famous toy company in 1935 after they published Monopoly. Hasbro only bought Parker Brothers in 1991.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1752761046593401197

[Asia/Oceania] Have you ever been a member of the CCP? Senator, I'm Singaporean. No.

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

PhilippAchtel posted:

[Asia/Oceania] Have you ever been a member of the CCP? Senator, I'm Singaporean. No.

senator, I fuckin wish

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

PhilippAchtel posted:

they're doing this again?

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

yellowcar posted:

they're doing this again?

McCarthyism never died. They'll continue until Tiktok either doesn't exist anymore or censers the content on it's platform to their satisfaction.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

stephenthinkpad posted:

ChunKing express is a good movie. I don't care about Wang's other movies. I think his style is only good random slice-of-life story collages. That, or showcase new TV set.

In the mood for love is in similar style and also decent.

In the mood for love is really excellent, go watch it if you haven't

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

can't foreigners technically join the party? they need to know mandarin, sure.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Doc Hawkins posted:

can't foreigners technically join the party? they need to know mandarin, sure.

to play 6th edition you must first join the CPC

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

PhilippAchtel posted:

lmfao

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

TeenageArchipelago posted:

McCarthyism never died. They'll continue until Tiktok either doesn't exist anymore or censers the content on it's platform to their satisfaction.

It's not even that, a similar event happened with someone not understanding that Singapore and China are different places

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

PhilippAchtel posted:

is this from now? this is like 2nd or 3rd time hes been asked this question in a hearing lmfao

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

oh god it's the same guy too??

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

i say swears online posted:

It's not even that, a similar event happened with someone not understanding that Singapore and China are different places

With this same person over the same topic, iirc.

Tiktok triggers the racism reflex

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

AnimeIsTrash posted:

is this from now? this is like 2nd or 3rd time hes been asked this question in a hearing lmfao

I'm not sure but the tweet is from today