Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

i thought they already wound down development since horizons lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

Lord Stimperor posted:

I thought Frontier was winding down E:D development, i.e. E:D would mainly see maintenance?

No one actually knows what FDev is doing with Elite because Frontier is absolutely terrible at communicating anything. Anything said up till now is mostly just people speculating on things like financial reports.

They have a live stream on the 31st that may reveal update 18 and should give us an idea of what's going on for the future of Elite.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

i would give frontier more money if they added something meaningful to teh game

DO U HEAR ME FRONTIER??

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

I can't wait to play on the goon homebrew elite server.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Natsuumi posted:

No one actually knows what FDev is doing with Elite because Frontier is absolutely terrible at communicating anything. Anything said up till now is mostly just people speculating on things like financial reports.

They have a live stream on the 31st that may reveal update 18 and should give us an idea of what's going on for the future of Elite.

Yeah, they are, incredibly, worse at this than CCP. At least the makers of EVE Online tell their players what they're planning to do, often half a year or longer in advance. I play more Elite than EVE, but I still have a better idea where EVE is going than Elite.

tjones
May 13, 2005

Lord Stimperor posted:

I thought Frontier was winding down E:D development, i.e. E:D would mainly see maintenance?

elite has been in a hold pattern since the titan pulse neutraliser was introduced. since then a lot of people have departed fdev including the majority of their community management team. the gist is that fdev was hemorrhaging money and stock price from their other games and licensing deals and downsizing in response. elite hasn't made them a ton of money since odyssey, but it isn't losing them money either, afaik.

last week they kicked off a thargoid themed CG that spurred a lot of interest in the resumption of the titan storyline. sometimes these fetch quest CGs having to do with ramtah concludes in a new goid module. players are hoping that this is proof that fdev is moving to push the storyline forward.

like other goons have stated, fdev has always been poo poo at communication. supposedly update 18 has something very cool that will be a new addition to the game. some players are also hoping it includes whatever major game design rework that fdev promised years ago. no one knows anything for sure and its wild speculation and hopes and dreams at this point.

maybe they've finally finished the panther clipper.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Worf posted:

DO U HEAR ME FRONTIER??

literally this lmao

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
iirc they also laid off the guy who implemented the cool new feature lol

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Worf posted:

DO U HEAR ME FRONTIER??

imho the elite world is too big and scattered for the company to make it "meaningful." For years, my ~Dream Feature~ has been some sort of level editor where users could create quests with storylines: create NPCs and little dialogue trees, have npcs appear at fixed locations, be able to control some events (if player goes to location, spawn 15 pirates), etc. That's the only way i can see enough interesting content getting generated to keep users invested

i was trying to see if I could accomplish a jankier version of something similar in a web app - the player would need to keep a phone / ipad open while playing the game, and they'd need to enter codes at certain points to advance the story - but i could not for the life of me figure out a way to make it work besides the honor system

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Polo-Rican posted:

imho the elite world is too big and scattered for the company to make it "meaningful." For years, my ~Dream Feature~ has been some sort of level editor where users could create quests with storylines: create NPCs and little dialogue trees, have npcs appear at fixed locations, be able to control some events (if player goes to location, spawn 15 pirates), etc. That's the only way i can see enough interesting content getting generated to keep users invested

i was trying to see if I could accomplish a jankier version of something similar in a web app - the player would need to keep a phone / ipad open while playing the game, and they'd need to enter codes at certain points to advance the story - but i could not for the life of me figure out a way to make it work besides the honor system

Something like Mario Maker in Space? That would have been fun. Imagine setting up your own little questlines and then sharing them with people. :allears:

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Give me FRED or give me death

(FReespace EDitor, was great fun to muck around with in and make missions)

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

New from the stream thingy:

quote:

* Update 18 will be the crescendo to the war, with attacks on Titans and a possible victory
* Update 19 is Powerplay 2.0 complete rework (e.t.a. Northern Hemisphere Summer)
* Also in 2024 will be an entirely new game feature
* And finally in 2024 will be FOUR NEW SHIPS - looks like Python Mark II will be first

Python Mk.2

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

i wouldn't piss on powerplay if it was on fire. this is great news

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
Python MK2? But it was already the best ship??

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

i wouldn't piss on powerplay if it was on fire. this is great news

This is :frontear: so it may as well end up even worse

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

pik_d posted:

Python MK2? But it was already the best ship??

its very possible the mk2 will be worse than the mk 1 knowing fdev so, it may continue to be the best ship

that being said im pleasantly surprised by all of this. maybe they finally figured out ships = ship skins = money

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

That seems much better than what everyone was anticipating from the event, huh?

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Mokotow posted:

That seems much better than what everyone was anticipating from the event, huh?

yeah. tho in all fairness fdev has given us really zero reason to have much hope for this type of change.

i hope whatever power play/gameplay feature there is is actually enticing to play for me. ive been getting the itch to fly around lately

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
they wont, but by golly maybe they'll right this ship this year. very, very optimistically, this could be a big year for elite

how long has it been since new ships? 5+ years?

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
I'm pretty thrilled with the news that we're getting new stuff and that they aren't just shutting the game down. I am excited for the Powerplay rework, hopefully it will make Powerplay more like I thought it would be the first time. It is in theory very cool to be able to do poo poo for a power to influence things and if the rework lets me do a realistic job of helping some dudes I like functionally take over a system in a way that isn't spreadsheeting out 5,000 missions before a server tick or whatever, I'll be happy. My expectations are appropriately low, but I am excited at least.

I am also quite excited about whatever the totally new feature will be. I hope it's expanded planetary landings :D

Just happy my favorite dumb space game is getting continued love instead of being chucked in a garbage bin at this time. All things must end but I get to putter around the galaxy for a while longer yet and I'm even getting some new toys to do it with. I'll show some support of this news and buy some ARX when I get home, there are some cool skins I want to pick up for a miner I want to build.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Worf posted:

its very possible the mk2 will be worse than the mk 1 knowing fdev so, it may continue to be the best ship

that being said im pleasantly surprised by all of this. maybe they finally figured out ships = ship skins = money

true, as EVE has proven: sprinkle in new ships every so often and your dumb spaceship game will survive for 20+ years, regardless of its many, many flaws

it always baffled me that Frontier didn't try to introduce more ships faster

it's a space ship game

add space ships

also, two space cars and like 3 space suits? the hell is that poo poo :frontear:, at least milk that crap, I want 500 ships, 100 space cars, at least 50 different suits and of course 5000 guns/tools/sonic screwdrivers for my space people to play around with

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Python mark 2? The Python was canonically outdated in Elite 1 and its replacement already had a drat name. It's the Boa.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

It seems adding space legs completely broke them, which is funny considering the first image Braben released in the late 90’s to announce Elite 4 development was a running chick.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Dabir posted:

Python mark 2? The Python was canonically outdated in Elite 1 and its replacement already had a drat name. It's the Boa.

yeah, but it's not the 80s anymore

the current Python was a system defense corvette, not a transport ship like the original Elite

thought I'd be funny if the four new ships turn out to be Python II, Boa, Python III and Panther Clipper

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

lol i just read that the python mk2 is large landing pad size (i checked reddit to see how ppl were reacting to this)

i hope that person is wrong af because if not

Worf posted:

lol

E: multiple ppl there are claiming its a L-arge size ship. thats lame af if so

Worf fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Feb 1, 2024

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
The ship looks sick but historically in terms of "version increments that are worth using as anything other than a meme ship" they're at 0/2, with the Cobra IV and the T10

The real comedy option is if the extra wing space it looks like that has puts it in the same category as the T7 and bumps it from "a good medium ship" to "a bad large ship"

e:

Worf posted:

lol i just read that the python mk2 is large landing pad size (i checked reddit to see how ppl were reacting to this)

i hope that person is wrong af because if not

lol

holy poo poo lol

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

another imperial clipper

why

WHYYYY

altho im still excited for it, idgaf. i suspect itll be a sidegrade-ish from anaconda. also if theres another solid medium ship coming then my whines are moot anyway

Worf fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Feb 1, 2024

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Worf posted:

another imperial clipper

why

WHYYYY

altho im still excited for it, idgaf. i suspect itll be a sidegrade-ish from anaconda. also if theres another solid medium ship coming then my whines are moot anyway

the problem here is that they seemingly don't dogfood enough to know why some ships are better than others, so even if they get past the "we need to balance ships so that they're good in some categories and bad in other categories" and want to make something that's just Unambiguously Better, it's a crapshoot if it'll actually be better

and as far as I know, that's not a mindset they've really moved past, so instead of making "balanced" ships they just make ones that are no-holds-barred worse than the existing ones

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

i can already make some assumptions about python2.

2x class 4 hard points, 2x class 2- or 3-4x class 1, less versatile interior, worse maneuverability, 30% more expensive across teh board.

probably 70 hull hardness and 8 utility slots. probably will appeal to ppl that wanted a compromised fedvette w better jump range

maybe slightly stronger weaponry than i give it credit for but not much. at best 2x 4, 1x 3, 2x 2

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

Dabir posted:

Why does every other ship need to be named after a godammned snake, what is with these people

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Look there's only so many badass ways to name a ship when your design ethos hasn't evolved from "aggressive triangle" in 45 years

Altho i guess there's some mean looking squares now too

E: and if you start looking at their non snake named ships contemporary to the boa you end up with the gecko and the gnat lmao

Worf fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Feb 1, 2024

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

The king of the sand castle
I'm guessing the python 2 will be the first 4x large hardpoint 'medium' ship, you can see what looks like 3 on top and it might keep the current one under the chin. There's what looks like a medium slot on the top left as well, which we can assume would be mirrored on the other side. Maybe 4L2M or something, which is pretty strong (significant for gimballed AX weapons). No visible utility slots, but only the zorgon mediums have more than 4 before you get to the big ships, so I'd say 6 max, but feasibly just 4 like usual because they tend to trade off optional internals against utilities until you get into Anaconda territory.

Will be interesting to see what they do with it.

Tommy the Newt fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Feb 1, 2024

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Wheres the boomslang

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

ZeusCannon posted:

Wheres the boomslang

Beltalowda is that way

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

The Boa was a freighter right? should be a no brainer easy addition.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

I want a medium freighter that isn’t a python with more storage than a python

Sadly the python would almost assuredly be better, unless it had substantially more storage. The hull hardness and jump range on that ship are quite nice

Worf fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Feb 4, 2024

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS

smug jeebus posted:

Why does every other ship need to be named after a godammned snake, what is with these people
Bring back the ships from Frontier:FE, thanks - Wyvern, Saker Mk3, Turner Class, even the...um, Skeet.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

Worf posted:

I want a medium freighter that isn’t a python with more storage than a python

Sadly the python would almost assuredly be better, unless it had substantially more storage. The hull hardness and jump range on that ship are quite nice

That's what the Type-7 should be, and all it would take is knocking off the meter or so of height that prevents it from using a medium pad

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Jabarto posted:

That's what the Type-7 should be, and all it would take is knocking off the meter or so of height that prevents it from using a medium pad

yea but fdev is too dumb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Jabarto posted:

I'm still wondering if the Panther Clipper would already be in the game if the thing presumable needs to be slightly wider and higher than the standard slots allow.

Makes me think how much work it would be to go through all station assets and make the entry points a good chunk larger.