Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

RealityWarCriminal posted:

Wasn't there someone here who had a friend working at WWE corporate?

During the recent layoff wave someone was mentioning that their (sibling or friend or something) was on edge, and last I recall kept their job (at the time).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

Hedgehog Pie posted:

I think some of us try to stick up for low-level employees in these situations because we're not entirely sure if we would've done any better in their position. That's how I often feel anyway, asking myself if I would've done things differently, as someone who sometimes struggles to hold down long-term jobs (usually for mental health reasons but geography etc play a part too). The fact that I don't always know the answer straight away is scary to me and has me questioning not only my supposedly high level of empathy, but my own humanity in general. I accept that I'm broke-brained and probably not exactly a typical case, but this is why I tend to give news coverage of tragedies a restricted viewing, while still being aware that one can only grow and look at oneself as a half-decent human being if one negotiates with the material directly.

In this case, I've had to come to terms with the fact that no one involved with WWE and Vince McMahon can be above scrutiny. Some very well-written posts here have helped with that. Even if it makes me question myself and what I would've done, I feel like it's necessary to understand what the victims went through and hopefully stop any more cycles of abuse going forward.

Just to follow on from this, I think showing sympathy for low-level employees and trying to justify yourself often leads to one second-guessing oneself and going round and round in an agonising circle as well.

Trying to explain what I mean. Would I want to work for WWE knowing it's a toxic culture from top to bottom run by sex criminals? No, I don't think so. If I wanted to make TV shows, would I want to work with the BBC in any capacity despite knowing that its own toxic culture allowed sex criminals like Jimmy Savile et al to thrive? Actually, possibly yes*. They're different contexts for sure (one being a public broadcaster and one being a pro wrestling company that also makes bad movies and other shite), but it begs the nagging thought of, oh, maybe you would go along with WWE then and you're just lying to yourself; so much for caring about the victims. It's just hard to reconcile that, which I think is another reason why people might try to excuse low-level employees in these circumstances.

EDIT: * I'm a naive Reithian romantic.

Hedgehog Pie fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jan 31, 2024

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:
drat Miz catching strays back there :(

in hindsight Kevin Dunn leaving out of the blue should have been a tell-tale sign. I'm guessing his dad saving a pile of those VHS tapes from a burning car weren't house shows but Vince's personal snuff films hence the job for life with 0 ability that Kevin had (and why would you leave a job you suck at, that gets you praised by the ceo and mega paid?)

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Hirez posted:

drat Miz catching strays back there :(

in hindsight Kevin Dunn leaving out of the blue should have been a tell-tale sign. I'm guessing his dad saving a pile of those VHS tapes from a burning car weren't house shows but Vince's personal snuff films hence the job for life with 0 ability that Kevin had (and why would you leave a job you suck at, that gets you praised by the ceo and mega paid?)

He's nearing 70 and rich beyond anyone's wildest dreams. Kevin Dunn is a really gross dude but there's plenty of plausible reasons he'd leave (his role also might be redundant due to the merger, lots of UFC positions became redundant after they sold) or he could see the writing on the wall and not want to be in the company and have his own gross behavior probed.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
At the end of the day, WWE's a poo poo company that deserves to burn. If it means people get put out of a job, that's unfortunate, but no more unfortunate than anyone else who gets laid off or finds themselves unemployed because the people running the company made terrible decisions and the company went bust. I don't really have any patience for the whole "there are good people working there" argument, so if WWE somehow gets shut down or completely swept clean, and your favorite wrestler or announcer or ref or cameraperson or key grip or whatever needs to find a new gig, well them's the breaks.

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:
oh yea, I know Dunn was a one of the gross gross boys club people since the bra and panty era; I just had no idea he was near 70, I woulda figured much younger since I figured his dad was Vince's "friend"

please don't post the Dunn teeth picture. or the updated one :nms:

Majinfoose
Jul 26, 2007

HOLY SHIT
This vegan brisket is bussin

Sydney Bottocks posted:

At the end of the day, WWE's a poo poo company that deserves to burn.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Hirez posted:

oh yea, I know Dunn was a one of the gross gross boys club people since the bra and panty era; I just had no idea he was near 70, I woulda figured much younger since I figured his dad was Vince's "friend"

There is an actor named Kevin Dunn and then there is the wwe producer named Kevin Dunn, who I cannot find any info about his birthdate

While it is possible the latter is 67, it is for sure that the former is 67. So I do not know

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

Hirez posted:

I believe you're mixing your Vinces up. IIRC, Dunn's father was Vince Sr.'s right-hand man and the one who saved the tapes from the burning car or whatever. And Dunn basically only had his job because A)Vince Sr. made Vince Jr. promise to keep him around, as a favor to Dunn's father; and B)he had absolutely zero problems being Vince's toady.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

Hirez posted:

:nms: updated kevin dunn teeth picture :nms:

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

rotinaj posted:

There is an actor named Kevin Dunn and then there is the wwe producer named Kevin Dunn, who I cannot find any info about his birthdate

While it is possible the latter is 67, it is for sure that the former is 67. So I do not know

He's 68 per the Torch.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

cm punk walking up to you in morrowind and punching you draining your stamina when your stamina is depleted you'll be sorry bitch

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
I was looking through the internet to look at posts about Punk's injury. I saw one hypothesis about Punk on Reddit's SquaredCircle and I didn't think much of it (due to being Reddit), but reading it start to make actual sense.

What if Punk being Straight Edge IS the problem with his injuries?

Punk is 45, which is getting up there in terms of a wrestling career. What if because of his own beliefs and ego, he is not take the right supplements to keep his body in a proper shape for such an age? I mean for gently caress's sake look at Sting and Billy Gunn. They're in their 60's and doing thing normal people in their 60's should never do. They are OBVIOUSLY on the good steroids and supplements, not to mention proper exercise and diet.

Punk looks like he is on a well-maintained diet and regular exercise, but I do wonder that Punk in his Straight Edge mentality considers "drugs". The obvious he doesn't drink or smoke or take things recreationally. What if he abstains from vitamins and supplements to help an aging body?

Punk is in good shape for the average person in their mid-40's, but his beliefs are killing his wrestling career at his age now.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Waffleopolis posted:

Punk looks like he is on a well-maintained diet and regular exercise

he looks like a fat gently caress!!!

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

He literally had to use generic black trunks during one of his house show matches because the custom ones he ordered didn't fit.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Quantum of Phallus posted:

he looks like a fat gently caress!!!

I wish

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Waffleopolis posted:

I was looking through the internet to look at posts about Punk's injury. I saw one hypothesis about Punk on Reddit's SquaredCircle and I didn't think much of it (due to being Reddit), but reading it start to make actual sense.

What if Punk being Straight Edge IS the problem with his injuries?

Punk is 45, which is getting up there in terms of a wrestling career. What if because of his own beliefs and ego, he is not take the right supplements to keep his body in a proper shape for such an age? I mean for gently caress's sake look at Sting and Billy Gunn. They're in their 60's and doing thing normal people in their 60's should never do. They are OBVIOUSLY on the good steroids and supplements, not to mention proper exercise and diet.

Punk looks like he is on a well-maintained diet and regular exercise, but I do wonder that Punk in his Straight Edge mentality considers "drugs". The obvious he doesn't drink or smoke or take things recreationally. What if he abstains from vitamins and supplements to help an aging body?

Punk is in good shape for the average person in their mid-40's, but his beliefs are killing his wrestling career at his age now.

Given that a torn triceps is known as a steroid injury and his arms and traps looked RIDICULOUS while his stomach looked like he barely paid attention to it (which makes sense after seeing his workout videos) I don't think his straight edge mentality is the problem.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

Pylons posted:

He literally had to use generic black trunks during one of his house show matches because the custom ones he ordered didn't fit.

maybe we’ve been too harsh on him…

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

most legal supplements do very little. Steroids do a lot, but in some cases the extra muscle mass makes some kinds of tears more common. If Punk isn't taking creatine and fish oil, that probably isn't making a difference. A small amount of extra muscle mass from low dosing steroids might help him avoid injury and heal faster. Punk is not only old for a guy in his position, he's also on the small side for a WWE main event wrestler.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

theres no way punk didnt take the juice at some point, he got noticeably bigger around the time he was feuding with rey

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Pylons posted:

There's no way this can be the reason. His body hasn't really changed all that much over the years. He's always been not-quite-in-shape-but-in-shape-enough but it's not like he suddenly put on 75 pounds (much to Dave Meltzer's chagrin).

I don't really remember how he looked when he first came back to AEW to now – are his arms noticeably more huge now? I've seen some pictures of him from the Rumble and stuff and none of them make me go "holy gently caress, he's massive" like when Randy Orton or AJ Styles came back.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

we know he'll take a z pack

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Ganso Bomb posted:

There's no way this can be the reason. His body hasn't really changed all that much over the years. He's always been not-quite-in-shape-but-in-shape-enough but it's not like he suddenly put on 75 pounds (much to Dave Meltzer's chagrin).

I don't really remember how he looked when he first came back to AEW to now – are his arms noticeably more huge now? I've seen some pictures of him from the Rumble and stuff and none of them make me go "holy gently caress, he's massive" like when Randy Orton or AJ Styles came back.

He put on mass during the MJF feud and then when he came back for Collision. His body fluctuates a fair amount.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

MassRafTer posted:

He put on mass during the MJF feud and then when he came back for Collision. His body fluctuates a fair amount.

I guess I never noticed it enough to really have it stick out to me

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

First match back:

Rumble:

You decide

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Are you all saying cm punk might have said one thing… and done another? He might not be perfectly living up to the things he claims about himself?

:monocle:

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

projecthalaxy posted:

First match back:

Rumble:

You decide

I have no idea what you're trying to demonstrate with these pictures.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

Hellblazer187 posted:

His drawers are yellow now because after he got elbowed in the balls he pisses himself constantly

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Hellblazer187 posted:

People were discussing whether punk had put on weight between aew and wwe, or lost it, or done steroids so I thought some reference pictures in place might be convenient for the convo is all

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

HulkaMatt posted:

we know he'll take a z pack

im cm punk and welcome to zpackass

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

JUNGLE BOY posted:

His drawers are yellow now because after he got elbowed in the balls he pisses himself constantly

yeah that makes sense.

projecthalaxy posted:

People were discussing whether punk had put on weight between aew and wwe, or lost it, or done steroids so I thought some reference pictures in place might be convenient for the convo is all

He looks a bit thicker but not really "did steroids" thicker. It's also a different pose, different angle, etc.

I'm not going to say Punk never did steroids, but he never had a body that would have required the use of steroids.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

projecthalaxy posted:

First match back:

Rumble:

You decide

that 2nd one is from collision if you want to poo poo on the guy at least use the right picture

rumble 2024

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Looks like the same guy to me! His arms don’t really look noticeably bigger to me but I’m not gonna get out my calipers or anything.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Why is his hair so bad

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
here's Punk at All In for another picture

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

He's either on steroids, is sick in some other way that we don't know about, or really is Mr. Glass because your chances at two torn triceps without an underlying cause is very rare.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Pylons posted:

Why is his hair so bad

wwe official barber hosed his poo poo up before the ppv

https://x.com/WWE/status/1751366891296129123?s=20

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

KungFu Grip posted:

is that the same barber who paints beepie's line and beard on every tuesday

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

KungFu Grip posted:

Dave reported that he wanted that hair and had a picture of Shemp Howard on his phone that he pointed to for the barber.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
punk has a cena like bald spot btw for the steroid truthers out there