Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Inept posted:

I doubt nvidia gives enough of a poo poo about the 4080 super launch to try to finesse demand. They're way too busy selling AI poo poo and cutting pieces off of their chips to continue selling to China.

I promise you they still would like to make more money from GPUs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Lockback posted:

I promise you they still would like to make more money from GPUs.

Sure, but whenever someone complains that it's artificial scarcity, it's probably just that demand was a higher than they expected or had other supply issues. It's not like they're DeBeers sitting on a pile of video cards and cackling.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Genuinely surprised the 4080 Super sold out so quickly. We haven't had a full sell-out this gen since the 4090.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

I got an ASUS TUF OC 4080 super from a local brick and mortar store midday today (in-store only purchases).

probably sold out by now. site says they have 1 left but its updates aren’t realtime. some other models still avail. try your local stores maybe

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

CatelynIsAZombie posted:

This panic buying mentality is exactly what nvidia is trying to create. The 4080 has been $1200 for months and nobody wanted it, if it manages to rise above that it would be a complete accident.

At this point what would a sub $500 card people were excited for even look like? Posters in this thread wouldn’t buy one since they’re budgeting their next $3000 for a 5090. The market is so segmented now across 3 latencies, rt/non-rt as options, and current gen consoles being lucky if they run their own games at 60fps that it’s hard to define what a return to normal would even look like right?

I'd probably get a 4070S if it was $500 or under

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I wonder if the lack of reviews helped. I mean, we've been telling people here to just see it as a discounted 4080, but maybe results like this being more widely known in advance would've thrown some cold water on the launch hype:

edit: MSI's "premium" FE-copycat model seems like a bust:

6 degrees warmer than the FE at the same noise level, for a $150 premium. And people ate this poo poo up even though there's been $1150 (and under) 4080s for most of 2023.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jan 31, 2024

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

dunno. i was about to pull the trigger on a 4080 last fall but stopped when first rumors came out of what ended up being super models. i woulda bought the super even if it was at old pricing, so it being cheaper was a no-brainer buy. probably a lot of people in a similar boat.

give it a month and things will probably normalize across models?

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I wonder if the lack of reviews helped. I mean, we've been telling people here to just see it as a discounted 4080, but maybe results like this being more widely known in advance would've thrown some cold water on the launch hype:

6 degrees warmer than the FE at the same noise level, for a $150 premium. And people ate this poo poo up even though there's been $1150 (and under) 4080s for most of 2023.

I mentioned that I kinda like the design aesthetic, and I still do, but it still doesn’t look as good as the FEs either.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Especially funny because this thing is way larger than the FE model, to boot

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Genuinely surprised the 4080 Super sold out so quickly. We haven't had a full sell-out this gen since the 4090.

It wouldn’t surprise me if they didn’t significantly scale back production though.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

change my name posted:

Especially funny because this thing is way larger than the FE model, to boot
It's a whopping 10 mm longer and a bit over 200 grams lighter, same thickness and height :shrug:

Igor's test points out the noise characteristics of the MSI Expert are better than the FE's because the FE fans trigger some low frequency resonance inside the case (which won't show up in open bench table tests), adding up to a higher noise level overall than the MSI Expert. Not worth $150 for the latter but also not really a "bust".

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

orcane posted:

It's a whopping 10 mm longer and a bit over 200 grams lighter, same thickness and height :shrug:

Igor's test points out the noise characteristics of the MSI Expert are better than the FE's because the FE fans trigger some low frequency resonance inside the case (which won't show up in open bench table tests), adding up to a higher noise level overall than the MSI Expert. Not worth $150 for the latter but also not really a "bust".

Hmm, I was going off of the leaked (and seemingly incorrect) dimensions from before without checking, it looks like this might actually fit in my case

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
Kinda disappointing to hear the Expert gets worse temps than the FE model, I dig the look, that said I would probably go FE given the choice as far as aesthetics go I think the recent FEs look soo good, like right there on the level of apple products just wanna put my hands on it, I wanna put your hands on it, I wanna touch our hands while we put it on the gpu, I want it insiiiiiiiiiidee....of my pc.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

It's weird because the Suprim x was/is best in class for temperature/sound performance.

They already have decent model/brand segmentation, once you build the cooler and you realise it doesn't work, why roll it out?

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
I grabbed one of the gigabyte 4080 supers today and wondered if i'm going to have issues with a ryzen 7 3800x as my cpu if im trying to go for 4k gaming. Do i need to upgrade or can i wait it out a bit for the new ryzens and hope the 7800x3d goes on sale.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Dr. Capco posted:

I grabbed one of the gigabyte 4080 supers today and wondered if i'm going to have issues with a ryzen 7 3800x as my cpu if im trying to go for 4k gaming. Do i need to upgrade or can i wait it out a bit for the new ryzens and hope the 7800x3d goes on sale.

For 4k gaming? No you will be gpu limited. At 1080 absolutely CPU bound, and maybe 1440 in some titles.

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
So i would need a cpu upgrade for 4k but i'd likely be able to handle 1080 and (some)1440? If I'm understanding you correctly that is.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

orcane posted:

Seems like that depends on way too many variables to be considered an inherent trait of the FE design. Also not sure anyone should take Igor for his word when it comes to sound testing anymore.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Feb 1, 2024

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Dr. Capco posted:

So i would need a cpu upgrade for 4k but i'd likely be able to handle 1080 and (some)1440? If I'm understanding you correctly that is.

No, the opposite. You would need a CPU upgrade for 1080p and would be fine at 4k.

I mean, you would be fine in any of them.

Basically your GPU has enough grunt that at lower resolutions, where it wants to fly at insane FPS (think 200-300+) it will be cranking out frames faster than the CPU can feed them to it. The GPU will be idle a good chunk of the time.

Meanwhile at the higher resolutions the GPU is doing a poo poo ton more work rendering all those extra pixels, so it's plate is full and the CPU has some idle time because the GPU needs time to finish drawing one frame before it's ready for the next.

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
Ok that makes sense, thanks for the help goons.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

4080 supers going out of stock doesn't seem too surprising. It feels like more people these days are running higher than normal res monitors than ever so demand for the higher performing cards relative to their generation would grow. With 4090 prices unrealistically bonkers (unless you get lucky) that left the overpriced 4080 in a weird space. I ran mid tier cards long past their expiration date skipping generations until I got a 1440p ultrawide which prompted me to start going way too nuts on GPUs (first a 2080 then a 3080 and then I upgraded the 1440p monitor to a 1600p which made that 3080 feel less beefy). Dropping the price a couple hundred bucks isn't huge, but $999 is way more psychologically acceptable than $1200+ even with the performance staying the same.

Kaewan
May 29, 2008
What’s going on with 4080 prices in Australia? They’re going up, not down :confused:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Kaewan posted:

What’s going on with 4080 prices in Australia? They’re going up, not down :confused:

container ship bound for sydney was captured by pirates

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Seems like that depends on way too many variables to be considered an inherent trait of the FE design. Also not sure anyone should take Igor for his word when it comes to sound testing anymore.
It was fan tests that were hosed up by his (ex) fan testing guy, the stuff he does himself has not been wrong and you can absolutely tell fan noise profiles from each other and pinpoint resonance coming from the GPU.

Kaewan posted:

More than how Australian prices are usually hosed already? :eek:

orcane fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Feb 1, 2024

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I never use newegg anymore cept for this purchase and my previous 2018 computer build purchase in my order history makes me wistful for a "simpler time".

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

FuzzySlippers posted:

4080 supers going out of stock doesn't seem too surprising. It feels like more people these days are running higher than normal res monitors than ever so demand for the higher performing cards relative to their generation would grow. With 4090 prices unrealistically bonkers (unless you get lucky) that left the overpriced 4080 in a weird space. I ran mid tier cards long past their expiration date skipping generations until I got a 1440p ultrawide which prompted me to start going way too nuts on GPUs (first a 2080 then a 3080 and then I upgraded the 1440p monitor to a 1600p which made that 3080 feel less beefy). Dropping the price a couple hundred bucks isn't huge, but $999 is way more psychologically acceptable than $1200+ even with the performance staying the same.

My local Micro Center stores had way less stock of the 4080 Super than the prior Super models, so that might also have something to do with it.

I'm a bit disappointed (but not surprised) that AMD hasn't lowered 7900 XTX prices in response to the 4080. The $30 and $40 coupon codes don't really help to make the cards worth it.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
$699 for a 980 ti in 2015 was my last Newegg purchase according to my history. Truly a simpler time lol

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

hatty posted:

$699 for a 980 ti in 2015 was my last Newegg purchase according to my history. Truly a simpler time lol

That's actually more than I remember, I just had the 970, but the 8700k z370 build in my newegg history minus the GPU was 710 dollars, though to be fair I reused the psu and case from my last build

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

runaway dog posted:

That's actually more than I remember, I just had the 970, but the 8700k z370 build in my newegg history minus the GPU was 710 dollars, though to be fair I reused the psu and case from my last build

The 1080Ti was so beloved because it was the same price as the 980Ti but twice as fast.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

Shipon posted:

The 1080Ti was so beloved because it was the same price as the 980Ti but twice as fast.

I got the old brain because I remember the 1080ti being cheaper too

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
I peeked at my own old receipts and it looks like I spent $650 retail on my 2080 four years ago. This was coming from a 970, though. I feel like I should maybe continue the trend of upgrading after a generation skip.

Just as a sanity check, it probably wouldn't be worthwhile going with a 4070 Ti Super over a 4070 Super if I'm just playing on a 1440p 144hz monitor, right? I'm looking at that Microcenter 7800X3D bundle to round out this possible build.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

moot the hopple posted:

I peeked at my own old receipts and it looks like I spent $650 retail on my 2080 four years ago. This was coming from a 970, though. I feel like I should maybe continue the trend of upgrading after a generation skip.

Just as a sanity check, it probably wouldn't be worthwhile going with a 4070 Ti Super over a 4070 Super if I'm just playing on a 1440p 144hz monitor, right? I'm looking at that Microcenter 7800X3D bundle to round out this possible build.

With extreme settings like path tracing, you'll want all the power you can get. The question is, how much do you care about a feature currently only in Alan Wake 2 and Cyberpunk 2077?

For standard rasterized gameplay and most other ray tracing situations, the 4070 Super is a great 1440p card.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
If you keep your GPUs that long I feel like a 4070ti super is probably a worthwhile step up.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
It's funny that you bring up Cyperpunk 2077 because I feel like that's the game that makes my 2080 show its age the most. I did play it back before most of its patches and optimizations, however. Part of me wants to return to it with a beefier system and bump everything to the max so I can experience it in its full glory, but I could settle for just a more stable framerate.

Now that I think of it, Witcher 3 was what got me build a new computer last time around. CD Projekt Red continues to bully me :sigh:

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008
Ive been using a used Sapphire RX 6900xt that I bought for $400 a year ago. I think it was originally purchased during launch. Its given me zero problems so far.

Today I found a brand new $300 Powercolor Hellhound Rx 7800xt on Offerup.

Which would make most sense to keep based on benchmarks and future viability? Flipping either card would make a profit. Just wanted everyone's thoughts.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

moot the hopple posted:

It's funny that you bring up Cyperpunk 2077 because I feel like that's the game that makes my 2080 show its age the most. I did play it back before most of its patches and optimizations, however. Part of me wants to return to it with a beefier system and bump everything to the max so I can experience it in its full glory, but I could settle for just a more stable framerate.

Now that I think of it, Witcher 3 was what got me build a new computer last time around. CD Projekt Red continues to bully me :sigh:

If you would like to play Witcher 3 again, the ray tracing they added is also one of the most intensive implementations.

Since you like pushing the visuals, you'll probably regret it if you don't do the step up in GPU power. I have a 4070 and definitely wish it were more powerful. If the 4070 Ti Super were out at the time, I would have bought that over what I have since it has 16GB and for the extra power.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Green Gloves posted:

Ive been using a used Sapphire RX 6900xt that I bought for $400 a year ago. I think it was originally purchased during launch. Its given me zero problems so far.

Today I found a brand new $300 Powercolor Hellhound Rx 7800xt on Offerup.

Which would make most sense to keep based on benchmarks and future viability? Flipping either card would make a profit. Just wanted everyone's thoughts.

I'm pretty sure the 6900 XT is still a better performer than the 7800 XT.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

runaway dog posted:

I got the old brain because I remember the 1080ti being cheaper too

1080ti was $700 at launch which would be around $900 today, so yeah there's definitely been a lot of packed in extra margin above just inflation.

That year was another crypto bubble though - 1080Tis were going for well over 1000+ for much of that year until the collapse of the ETH bubble in early 2018. Got one used off a miner for $500 towards the middle of 2018 and it still works great in one of my old computers.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Over lockers in the UK still has basically every model in stock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
has anyone seen reviews of proart 4080? only test i saw had bad thermals, but people generally don't seem super keen on testing it. for some reason it's priced the same as the tuf and gaming x slim over here, even though i can save more than €100 by* just getting an fe

kliras fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Feb 1, 2024