Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

BonoMan posted:

I mean it's definitely got heart. It's just that the Paddingtons operate on a rare level of near perfection.

I'm dreading the third one being a train wreck, which all signs point to it being.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I'll watch any movie with Sam Neill in it

As part of the Taika Waititi heel-turn, I'm reevaluating if what makes Hunt For The Wilderpeople good has anything to do with Taika and everything to do with Sam Neill absolutely devouring that performance.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Really feels like this film was just sent out to die. That trailer that came out for it... didn't do much to make it look good.

Also - I think it's funny that they're leading with Henry Cavill because apparently he is only in the film for about 10 minutes total

And, apparently a mid-credits scene tries to set up a Matthew Vaughn cinematic universe with a Kingsman crossover.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

They absolutely did not send it out to die. That loving trailer has been playing non stop for months. Someone thought that poo poo was gonna do well

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe

Vargo posted:

As part of the Taika Waititi heel-turn, I'm reevaluating if what makes Hunt For The Wilderpeople good has anything to do with Taika and everything to do with Sam Neill absolutely devouring that performance.

Had to look up their names but Julian Dennison and Rima Te Wiata are real great in it too. I loved that movie.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Gaius Marius posted:

They absolutely did not send it out to die. That loving trailer has been playing non stop for months. Someone thought that poo poo was gonna do well

I just feel like most films get multiple trailers. And I'm in Los Angeles, where you'll see billboards taken over for big releases. There was that single trailer slapped onto films and that was the only thing I've seen.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Mordiceius posted:

And, apparently a mid-credits scene tries to set up a Matthew Vaughn cinematic universe with a Kingsman crossover.

Is that a spoiler? I just assumed that was the case when I first saw the poster. Was I not supposed to assume that?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Get that cat out of that suitcase it's not humane

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Gripweed posted:

Is that a spoiler? I just assumed that was the case when I first saw the poster. Was I not supposed to assume that?

I don't think that's supposed to be known.

Also, I would say that everyone should take a few guesses on what the "twist" of the film is - but you wouldn't need a few. It will be your first guess.

That's what you get in a film that is From the Twisted Mind of Matthew Vaughn.

oh god oh fuck
Dec 22, 2019

Mordiceius posted:

Really feels like this film was just sent out to die. That trailer that came out for it... didn't do much to make it look good.

Also - I think it's funny that they're leading with Henry Cavill because apparently he is only in the film for about 10 minutes total

For the love of god tell me who the real agent argyle is

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Vargo posted:

It's become increasingly clear Taika's best work comes when he has strong collaborators. Like the TV series has really shown Jemaine Clement was probably much more significant to What We Do in the Shadows being great than Taika.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Waffleman_ posted:

Get that cat out of that suitcase it's not humane

I have no idea how much cats actually like those, but it is a thing sold as a cat carrier, and you aren't allowed to just bring a loose cat onto most public transit.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Looks like the new 28 Days Later Sequel is actually going to be a 2 parter with Boyle directing the first one and Alex Garland writing (Murphy is EP and unkown if he'll act) and no announcement of the second director.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/28-years-later-lands-home-sony-1235804926/

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jan 31, 2024

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

oh god oh gently caress posted:

For the love of god tell me who the real agent argyle is

It's Special Agent Hitler from the Kingsman movies and that's how it all ties together.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Flying Zamboni posted:

It's Special Agent Hitler from the Kingsman movies and that's how it all ties together.

Genuinely that would be better.

While I haven’t seen the film, this is what I’ve been able to gather from the word of those that have seen it.

Possible full Argylle spoilers Elly Conway (Bryce Dallas Howard) is the real Agent Argylle, who has been brainwashed. Cavill is her in-book counterpart. Sam Rockwell is her former partner/lover? and the in-book counterpart is John Cena. The cat is apparently a smartcat with the in-book counterpart being Sam Jackson. Also Elly's "parents" are the villains who secretly brainwashed her

oh god oh fuck
Dec 22, 2019

Now I know, and finally I can die

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Yeah, like Black Hawk Down it's a film that was rough when it landed and has only aged worse and worse.

Hard disagree, it’s a movie all about breaking the myth surrounding Israel and showing the state for what it is, built on the blood of those it forced out. It also draws direct parallels between how brutal and sadistic Israeli foreign policy is with post-9/11 American foreign policy.

Mordiceius posted:

Genuinely that would be better.

While I haven’t seen the film, this is what I’ve been able to gather from the word of those that have seen it.

Possible full Argylle spoilers Elly Conway (Bryce Dallas Howard) is the real Agent Argylle, who has been brainwashed. Cavill is her in-book counterpart. Sam Rockwell is her former partner/lover? and the in-book counterpart is John Cena. The cat is apparently a smartcat with the in-book counterpart being Sam Jackson. Also Elly's "parents" are the villains who secretly brainwashed her

This is even more confusing than the theory people apparently leaked before the movie came out, that the cat was a god-like figure that allowed BDH to alter reality by writing book.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

JazzFlight posted:

I was also pleasantly surprised by Wonka. I think the trailers really undersold it by not including any snippets of the songs. If anything, it got me into listening to the discography of the guy who did the music, Neil Hannon.

Yeah, people say it seems to be another musical-ashamed-of-being-a-musical and maybe marketing thought so, but IMO they managed to not gently caress it up. Pretty clearly referencing the Gene Wilder movie to the point of using it as a structural template, but really, that's hardly a bad idea.

Although on some thought a lot of the injokes do seem to serve a purpose. Playing young Wonka as a wide-eyed manic pixie dream boy seems... pretty on brand, really, yet to be tempered by the cynicism that he has as an old man. He learns a lot, and not just how to read, that he often has to lie, be deceptive and flout the authorities to survive. And he also learns from his enemies as well as his allies- note the fine-print trick that's key to that specific movie adaptation, this is where he learned it. He also learned, the hard way, he needs to keep his production process secure, as given the ingredients and effects he works with, even small sabotage can be catastrophic.

The Dune jokes are almost too easy.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Wonka is pretty good. They made him illiterate for some reason which is kinda weird. Also he makes a chocolate which cures low self-esteem which is the most unrealistic thing in a wildly fantastical movie

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

BonoMan posted:

Looks like the new 28 Days Later Sequel is actually going to be a 2 parter with Boyle directing the first one and Alex Garland writing (Murphy is EP and unkown if he'll act) and no announcement of the second director.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/28-years-later-lands-home-sony-1235804926/

14 Days later and 14 Days Later 2.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Escobarbarian posted:

Wonka is pretty good. They made him illiterate for some reason which is kinda weird. Also he makes a chocolate which cures low self-esteem which is the most unrealistic thing in a wildly fantastical movie

Isn't that just weed chocolate, or alcoholic chocolate? Seems like the most realistic thing possible in a Wonka movie.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Air Skwirl posted:

Isn't that just weed chocolate, or alcoholic chocolate? Seems like the most realistic thing possible in a Wonka movie.

The secret ingredient is snozzberry.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Escobarbarian posted:

Kinda funny that, though it is the kind of vaguely old timey setting where literacy wouldn't necessarily be universal, and his whole thing is being hyper fixated. That said, I wondered why the chocolate bar his mother made for him had writing on it when he couldn't read... Then I realised she probably intended to start teaching him to read shortly after, but that's right when she got sick and died. And he'd basically been raising himself since then.

Though missed opportunity for a song about him learning the alphabet with chocolate related terms.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

The Beekeeper is maybe the most incredible movie of the year, it's like someone watched John Wick and then huffed a bunch of paint fumes and was like, 'HELL YEAH I LIKE ACTION MOVIES'. I seriously, seriously recommend watching it if you want to have an incredible time.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Escobarbarian posted:

Still less weird than the second book

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
I'll never see a Henry Cavil movie besides Man Of Steel that I likes him a bunch in. What if Superman was a dim bulb? Doesn't translate to other performances

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

He's good in Man from U.N.C.L.E. and that one Mission Impossible where he's the villain.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The Peccadillo posted:

I'll never see a Henry Cavil movie besides Man Of Steel that I likes him a bunch in. What if Superman was a dim bulb? Doesn't translate to other performances

i didnt like him in MOS. He's better in BvS but idk, I like that movies story with superman way more anyway.

MI6 is the best thing he's done

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

The Beekeeper is maybe the most incredible movie of the year, it's like someone watched John Wick and then huffed a bunch of paint fumes and was like, 'HELL YEAH I LIKE ACTION MOVIES'. I seriously, seriously recommend watching it if you want to have an incredible time.

Easily one of the greatest movies of the young year.

Statham is the human personification of invincibility in it. He makes John Wick seem like a part-time public library employee who enjoys chamomile tea and stamp collecting.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Also, Rowan Atkinson the corrupt bishop was great.

While a bit of a stretch, there's some fun takes on how the movie's villains are thematically similar to the bratty kids of the original story and movies. Slugworth, the leader of the cartel, is the most successful of them all and smug, superior and hyper-competitive, like Violet Bueregarde (the 2005 version anyway). Prodnose is Mike Teevee, explaining the obvious, and Fickelgruber is Veruca Salt, a rich entitled twit convinced of his own superiority. And the chocolate-addicted corrupt police chief who becomes morbidly obese is clearly Augustus Gloop. As well as a fun injoke for audiences it's probably a good way to make a prequel that feels thematically consistent, disguising the same formula by taking the same archetypes but slotting them in different roles.

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Feb 1, 2024

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Gonz posted:

Easily one of the greatest movies of the young year.

Statham is the human personification of invincibility in it. He makes John Wick seem like a part-time public library employee who enjoys chamomile tea and stamp collecting.

One of the best bits is when he gets a big John-Wick-esque dramatic flourish from putting a suit on. You know it means he's about to kick some rear end, the movie knows it means he's about to kick some rear end, no further exposition is necessary.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Watching the Gambler for the first time and let's just look up what $44,000 in 1974 dollars are today and...

:stonk:

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
Went to a postponed-from-December talk with Yorgos Lanthimos last night at the BFI Southbank; he's actually very funny. The questions were asked by Robbie Collin of the Telegraph, and some clips were shown from his films, including that spaghetti eating scene from The Killing of a Sacred Deer.

I was wondering why there were so many suited security guards around the building - two at every entrance - but it was because Emma Stone had accompanied him and was in the audience (I could just about see the back of her head, and we didn't hear from her except for her laughing at how Yorgos described her as not being suitable for a particular role in The Lobster). Didn't manage to get anything autographed but had a fun time and went to watch No Country For Old Men at the Prince Charles Cinema on 35mm afterwards.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Safety Factor posted:

Watching the Gambler for the first time and let's just look up what $44,000 in 1974 dollars are today and...

:stonk:

Median salary around that time was like 21k, lol.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Double today's median, adjusted for inflation

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Carpet posted:

Went to a postponed-from-December talk with Yorgos Lanthimos last night at the BFI Southbank; he's actually very funny. The questions were asked by Robbie Collin of the Telegraph, and some clips were shown from his films, including that spaghetti eating scene from The Killing of a Sacred Deer.

I was wondering why there were so many suited security guards around the building - two at every entrance - but it was because Emma Stone had accompanied him and was in the audience (I could just about see the back of her head, and we didn't hear from her except for her laughing at how Yorgos described her as not being suitable for a particular role in The Lobster). Didn't manage to get anything autographed but had a fun time and went to watch No Country For Old Men at the Prince Charles Cinema on 35mm afterwards.

Sounds like a grand night. You seem surprised that he’s funny, which surprises me.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
Well he just always looks so serious in the photos and interviews I've seen of him before. They were recording it so hopefully the interview will go up in YouTube - he did go on a funny joking rant about being defined as part of the 'Greek Weird Wave".

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Yeah I think he's just weird and Greek but he's definitely funny. His wife is also very funny and cool

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Weird arty European guys can either be tedious or hilarious.

There is no middle ground.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
There is a middle ground of 2000s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHmjP6GN4Lc

Maybe it's just tedious