Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Kalli posted:

Back in that era I was visiting Hong Kong yearly and buying tons and tons of bootleg game CD's and I remember this one RTS I've never been able to find anything out about, I suspect the game was never released.

There were 4 factions, kinda starcraft style gameplay, one of which were fully plant units and another that were these weird salamandar monk looking guys with psionic powers. Game was really neat but would inevitably crash after like 20 minutes.

I probably enjoyed Total Annihilation the most out of RTS's. Just building gigantic defense networks and watching the AI throw endless numbers of enemies at it. Just fun to watch. Terribly balanced and so many utterly useless units, but man they were cool, no matter how long it took them to setup, start launching the slowest, inaccurate projectiles imaginable.

Man, I love Sympathy for Lady Vengeance. The scene with the parents and the videos is one of the most intense scenes I've sat through in any movie

I loved setting up gently caress off artillery batteries and slowly clearing the map in Total Annihilation. They just ran with the idea and let you build just about whatever army you could dream up no matter how poorly it might fare. I did not grasp the idea of the different building tabs when Young Nervous first played, so the campaign got really hard really fast!

Now that I think about it, it's pretty much the RTS precursor to the paperclip game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
I do not own a car and it rocks

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
https://twitter.com/stephenasmith/status/1752782808030786006?t=DX2wjG9ttlc40j3O5v-4hA&s=19

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.
Puppy update: Shadow and Nermal face off in the ruins of Fort Kitterton. Both sides would later withdraw peace fully for a time.

However, conflict would flare back up.

Despite being taken at unawares, Shadow was ultimately able to drive off the perfidious Nermal.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I love the puppy

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.

Leperflesh posted:

The Ferrari 296GTB (Base price: $338,255)

or did you have a price range in mind? probably a prius prime though, it's hard to beat a prius for value, performance, quality, value retention, utility, etc

Ferrari's probably out of the price range, but otherwise I'm so removed from car purchasing that pretty much any car is going to give me some level of sticker shock. Most of my driving is city driving so the big things are all around utility, safety, and reliability. Not worried about value retention since we'll probably keep whatever we buy until it's worthless. Probably needs to be SUV-ish.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

New or used? The gently used market costs almost the same as new, but the advantage is that the car is there today; if you want a new prius you'll probably need to pre-order it and wait months.

For SUVish and new plug-in hybrid there's various volvos, the aforementioned mazda cx-90, rav 4, subaru crosstrek, lincoln corsair (lol 55k), kia sorento (lol 51k), kia nero, hyundai tucson, hyundai santa fe, ford escape, VW tiguan, if you'd consider a van there's the chrysler pacifica, and if you're not buying immediately GM just announced they're going to get back into the PHEV game.

Of all of the above I'd actually recommend the mazda, rav4, subaru, and escape. I have no opinion on the ki or hyundais, they might be fine. I would not buy the lincoln and I'd avoid the volvos, overpriced and notorious for unreliability. VWs are also notorious but I love my non-hybrid Tiguan and I think it's actually probably fine as a PHEV, and VW is saying it can do 62 miles on electric only which is better EV-only range than a bunch of the above.

For safety, any new car built in the last 10 years is vastly safer than any old car. Mandatory improvements enforced by the government mean you don't compare crash test ratings today to crash test ratings of yesteryear, they get tougher every year, and all of these cars have at least reasonable ratings. Reliability is also one of those loaded words, a lot of "unreliable" vehicles have issues like electric doohickies that stop working which isn't the same thing as "this car's transmission explodes after 40k miles" so you really actually need to do research on every car to see what sorts of issues have commonly occurred, whether they've been dealt with properly with a recall, etc. and weigh that against other factors. For me personally I don't care if my car is unavailable one day out of every three years, compared to poo poo like thousands of dollars in price tag or whether I enjoy driving it, but your view may differ and that's OK.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Jan 31, 2024

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Infinite Wealth owns so much

Ichiban is such a wholesale idiot

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

a neat cape posted:

I just got it last night and hoo boy chapter 1 is rough emotionally on my sweet dumb boy.

I do like that combat is a bit better than y7 and falls firmly in "good enough" territory.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

trevorreznik posted:

I just got it last night and hoo boy chapter 1 is rough emotionally on my sweet dumb boy.

I do like that combat is a bit better than y7 and falls firmly in "good enough" territory.

I just started chapter 4.

Uh, don't avoid fights

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Kurgarra Queen posted:

I looked at a Mazda 2 when I was car shopping long ago and loved it, but it was juuuuuuust out of my price range so I couldn't get it. I just feel so much more comfortable driving something compact. I rented an SUV once and I loving hated driving that thing.

I was car shopping relatively recently and also had an experience of odd fits.

I’m basically average height and yet every vehicle felt weird. Many of the smaller cars felt cramped but oddly so did a lot of the suvs.

I would look at the size of, to me, monster sized vehicles from the outside and think they would be palatial inside. Yet somehow the inside was uncomfortable with low ceilings and awkward angles.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

a neat cape posted:

I wish to be playing it instead of working

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
On the topic of old movies, I showed my GF Chinatown last week who had never seen it and only knew it was about LA water stuff.

I probably should have prepared her for evil wins ending, but its such a gut punch and I didn't want to spoil that feeling

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Timby posted:

Mortal Kombat is bad, but it is an entertainingly cheesy bad and carried by the unrelenting charisma of Cary Hiroyuki-Tagawa. And, of course, the soundtrack rocks.

Christopher Lambert absolutely rules the first one, how anyone can hate that performance is beyond me

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

The Glumslinger posted:

On the topic of old movies, I showed my GF Chinatown last week who had never seen it and only knew it was about LA water stuff.

I probably should have prepared her for evil wins ending, but its such a gut punch and I didn't want to spoil that feeling

That's one of my most favorite movies of all time. Easily top 5.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
It took 49 years for someone to spoil Chinatown WHICH I HAVEN'T SEEN for me, thanks a lot The Glumslinger

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Ether Frenzy posted:

It took 49 years for someone to spoil Chinatown WHICH I HAVEN'T SEEN for me, thanks a lot The Glumslinger

There's a loving statue of limitations on spoilers. Have you read the bible? Jesus dies

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Don’t anyone tell me who Rosebud is.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

I got Twin Peaks spoiled for me the other day, I’ve been meaning to watch that for years

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Ether Frenzy posted:

Forget it Jake, its Chinatown

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

My wife had no idea Bruce Willis was dead until we watched Sixth Sense early in our relationship (2015ish) No idea how she missed all those references in other stuff for years

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

a sexual elk posted:

My wife had no idea Bruce Willis was dead until we watched Sixth Sense early in our relationship (2015ish) No idea how she missed all those references in other stuff for years

My gf and I watched Sixth Sense a couple months back and it was the same thing.

To be fair this girl has seen like 3 movies ever so it’s been fun watching all these awesome movies and watching them for the first time through her.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

a sexual elk posted:

Bruce Willis isn't dead, he has some sort of brain thing that means he can no longer act and I feel for his family trying to take care of him, but he's not dead.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

a sexual elk posted:

The first half of this scared me

Rogue Elephant
May 1, 2007

One of my friends got pissed at me for spoiling the ending of Apollo 13 in a conversation we had like 5 years ago.

A. The movie was like 25 years old at the time and B. It's a historical movie. It's like getting mad if someone spoils a WWII movie because the Allies win

edit: I just remembered Ron Howard was on WTF and told a story about the feedback from the test screenings for Apollo 13 being universal praise except for one dude who didn't know the story beforehand and wrote on the comment card "Typical Hollywood bullshit, they never would have survived"

Rogue Elephant fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jan 31, 2024

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
The ship SINKS???!?!?!????

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Joey Freshwater posted:

My gf and I watched Sixth Sense a couple months back and it was the same thing.

To be fair this girl has seen like 3 movies ever so it’s been fun watching all these awesome movies and watching them for the first time through her.

Same she’d seen just a few besides the pothead cult movies like Big Lebowski or the Room her friends had shown her.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Also "evil wins" is kinda a spoiler for Chinatown, but it's not "the spoiler" for Chinatown.

Basic message, watch Chinatown.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Amy Pole Her posted:

Christopher Lambert absolutely rules the first one, how anyone can hate that performance is beyond me

clearly just breezed through his lines ten minutes before they started rolling and didn't give a poo poo at all

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f52VK8qTEoA

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
There are two restaurants in town both named Jake’s and located within a few blocks of one another, the other day we were walking past them and I made a dumb The Two Jakes joke that absolutely nobody got because why would people catch a pop culture reference 4 decades past its expiration date. Anyway that’s my Chinatown (sequel) story thanks for listening

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
I just sold my spec script of a Sandra Bullock romcom based on the premise of meeting the wrong guy on a blind date because there were two restaurants named the same thing and one of them doesn't get that joke because they also have not seen Chinatown, like me. This leads to all sorts of adventures

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Quiet Feet posted:

Also, just finished watching justice League and it deserves the hate it gets. They tried to cram way too much into two hours and it feels rushed, and the CG is bad, especially for Cyborg.

Did you watch the Snyder Cut? That (and the director's cut of Superman V. Batman: Dawn of Justice) has more stuff to fill in plot holes.

I should note that doesn't make the movies any better, but at least you know what's going on.

I realize my favorite Zach Snyder movie is his remake of Dawn of the Dead.

Also a gentle reminder Mortal Kombat was Paul W.S. Anderson's first studio movie directorial debut.

Thaddius the Large posted:

There are two restaurants in town both named Jake’s and located within a few blocks of one another, the other day we were walking past them and I made a dumb The Two Jakes joke that absolutely nobody got because why would people catch a pop culture reference 4 decades past its expiration date. Anyway that’s my Chinatown (sequel) story thanks for listening

I was reminded that crawfish season is over and fresh stuff won't be available until April. Shame too as I've been meaning to have my friends experience a Louisiana boil at either My Brother's Crawfish or The Rockin' Crab & Boiling Pot (both are actually Vietnamese-Cajun).

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Android Apocalypse posted:

Did you watch the Snyder Cut? That (and the director's cut of Superman V. Batman: Dawn of Justice) has more stuff to fill in plot holes.

I should note that doesn't make the movies any better, but at least you know what's going on.

Also a gentle reminder Mortal Kombat was Paul W.S. Anderson's first studio movie directorial debut.

I was reminded that crawfish season is over and fresh stuff won't be available until April. Shame too as I've been meaning to have my friends experience a Louisiana boil at either My Brother's Crawfish or The Rockin' Crab & Boiling Pot (both are actually Vietnamese-Cajun).

Heads up, we had a bad drought last year. If it’s Louisiana crawfish, it’s going to be more expensive than usual.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

Ether Frenzy posted:

I just sold my spec script of a Sandra Bullock romcom based on the premise of meeting the wrong guy on a blind date because there were two restaurants named the same thing and one of them doesn't get that joke because they also have not seen Chinatown, like me. This leads to all sorts of adventures

We had a weird IRL version of this, where we were living with a roommate named Paul who did couch surfing; he gets a text one day from our mutual friend in the Northern Marianas Islands, Keith, who says he's currently hosting an Icelandic woman who happens to be staying with Paul (us) the next day, as she is trying to visit every country in the world, and asks if Paul is going to pick her up from the airport at 6PM. Paul, who can be absentminded on the best of days, agrees, despite not remembering to host anyone that week.

He brings her home, we all go out for drinks and dinner, have a wonderful time. The next morning, she gets an angry text from a guy named Paul who was the actual guy she was supposed to be couch surfing with. Apologies go all around, she heads out to have lunch with Actual Paul, but it turns out he's a complete dickhead, so she stays with us for the next few days.

So now if we ever go to Iceland, we know someone who runs a yoga/horse riding retreat, so we got that going for us. She did make it to every country in the world, too.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Definitely not the Snyder cut. This one was only 2 hours long.

Looked that up and jesus, I don't know if I wanna watch a 4-hour version of what I just saw.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

FizFashizzle posted:

clearly just breezed through his lines ten minutes before they started rolling and didn't give a poo poo at all

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f52VK8qTEoA

It’s amazing. The entire scene in the boat alone got me hooked

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Thaddius the Large posted:

Well I appreciate it, at least

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

I had no idea that was Snyder. Great flick.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

LeeMajors posted:

I had no idea that was Snyder. Great flick.

Yeah Phil plays a great cocky jackass

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
Read the thread, it’s worth it

https://twitter.com/sarahtaber_bww/status/1752727762542948676?s=46&t=ElVxy1GAH1plG_5hKKEhUA

edit for people who’ve justly abandoned twitter: https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1752727762542948676.html

rjmccall fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Feb 1, 2024