Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Ravus Ursus posted:

That's one phrase for it yes

Ethylene-vinyl acetate?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

EdsTeioh posted:

There was a local guy that got a 2000 point all metal High Elf army back in the day and opened up 2 cans of house paint (red and blue) and dipped the top half of each model in one and the bottom in the other. This was after the local shop mandated a "no unpainted armies" rule.

Punk's not dead.

EdsTeioh posted:

Pretty sure the deal was that he wanted his place to be this sort of picturesque hub of gaming that he could show off to GW so wanted everything to be painted to a high standard for pics and such to show off to them.

At some point around then GW mandated that if you played in their company shops or in a "Chapter Approved" event anywhere your models had to be painted with at least two colors.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
woops wrong th read

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yeah two colors was the minimum, so if you painted your smurfs blue with white booties it would count and I've seen plenty of first time armies that meet that standard.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

AndyElusive posted:

Just pretend you don't know what the clear gooey stuff on it is.

You're telling me Midwinter didn't hump 100x over that Daemonette he sold on ebay for £100?

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
It was three colors where I was. So you paint the mini one color, the helmet or pauldrons another, and the gun a third

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

Leperflesh posted:

IMO yeah go ahead and dip your dudes in housepaint out of spite if you're mad at the shop for demanding all your guys be painted. I can appreciate a good spite house, spite fence, and spite warhammer army. I'd rather police behavior at the table like whether you're a jerk, try to cheat, show up for your game on time, smell awful, or are not-so-secretly a nazi enthusiast. Whether/how-well you painted your army sorta matters for MY IMMERSION I guess, but it's like 14th down on the list of reasons I want or don't want to play with you, somewhere behind "doesn't roll dice properly so it looks like they barely tip out of your hand and it sorta looks like you are intentionally trying to cheat even though you're not doing it very well" and maybe just ahead of "looks at your phone every 30 seconds, ok it's not your turn right now but still."

In my experience, the folks who never painted their armies or put the least possible effort into painting them just to game a rule requiring painted armies always had the worst attitudes and were the least fun to play against. I'm talking arrogant poo poo-talkers who loved to cheat and were the sorest of losers. It was mentioned that house paint elves guy was a chud and I was not surprised.

Meanwhile, every time I played against an army that was lovingly painted, even if it wasn't the best painted, was a blast win or lose. It helps when your opponent is in it because they give a poo poo about the hobby instead of just wanting to win some game.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

I don't think people should have to paint their dolls if they just want to play with them tbh., but it's much cooler looking when they do.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I don't think people should have to paint their dolls if they just want to play with them tbh., but it's much cooler looking when they do.

It is OK to play unpainted by yourself or with friends who want to play unpainted. To me it is disrespectful to people who put lots of time and energy into painting their minis, even when many of them don't even like doing it, to bring unpainted minis to a table to play in a community or a club.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

All we do is walk around believing birds!
Effort should meet effort.

I painted my stuff because I think it makes the table look cooler. This is the same reason I put time and effort into terrain.

I don't mind at all playing against someone that has most of their stuff painted but not all of it, nor someone that's not a very good painted, but I don't like playing against mostly unpainted armies. Because it looks like poo poo on the table, no matter how normalized that is.

And this makes some people online absolutely furious with me.

I don't want to play with literally everyone. My goal is not to maximize the number of players and games. It's to maximize the number of cool looking wargame tables I stand around. That means lots of well done terrain, painted armies, and rules that don't lead to boring as gently caress hiding or center scrums.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Painting is fun and shows you care about your hobby, but not everybody's into that part and that's okay. Some folks aren't concerned with that part, others are too shy they'll ruin good minis with a bad paintjob, but I'm not going to look down on them if they otherwise act in good faith.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

I mean, I don't think you should *have* to paint them; they're your stuff and do whatever. For me, I spend probably 20-30x more time on painting and modelling than I do on actually playing and besides, everyone's initial interest in minis games is "Man that games *looks* really cool."

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

All we do is walk around believing birds!
It's not 'looking down on someone' necessarily, but it's absolutely an assessment. I don't want to play with people that use unpainted armies not because I think they're bad people, but for the same kind of reason they probably don't want to play against my army composed of my favorite looking models. It's the exact same as the reason I'll happily do an MtG cube in a friends kitchen, but I'm never going to do a constructed tournament.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I don't think people with unpainted armies are necessarily more likely to be unpleasant players but it obviouslt implies they're more interested in the game than the models. Which is probably a bad sign in Warhammer given that the models are excellent and the rules are terrible

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
There's a game??

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Yeah man, I tell ya what, man. Them dang ol unpainted minis, man. You just go on there and paint. Paint. Lick. Paint. Lick. It's real easy, man.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

It's helpful to tell the figures apart too, especially as a new player. I often confuse my own units when they're all bare metal or black silhouettes and I'm not super familiar with the game line yet, but we have painted stuff then I can tell the guy with the red hat has a rocket launcher and the blue helmet is packing a sniper rifle. But I've also played with post-its on plastic bases as proxies!

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR
I think we should level the field and all go back to 2e proxy dreddnaut standees personally.

But nicely painted ones.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

alg posted:

It is OK to play unpainted by yourself or with friends who want to play unpainted. To me it is disrespectful to people who put lots of time and energy into painting their minis, even when many of them don't even like doing it, to bring unpainted minis to a table to play in a community or a club.

I respectfully disagree

I would love to play this guy

just my view, it's OK we don't have to agree

darkwasthenight posted:

I think we should level the field and all go back to 2e proxy dreddnaut standees personally.

But nicely painted ones.

Absolutely owns

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

edit:

Lostconfused fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Feb 1, 2024

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I'd like to tell the ten thousand new Brettonian and Tomb Kings players that it's fine to play before everything is painted!

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
especially the brettonian players

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Bretonnian players should be required to field all unpainted units at first, adding colors to sections of their models representing heroic feats accomplished in each game until their army is fully painted, at which point they have to retire it and start over.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Atlas Hugged posted:

Bretonnian players should be required... to retire

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

if anyone has not added reflection highlights to each individual eye of their models, they have disrespected me, my family, and my ancestors.

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Ban-thing the man-things.
lmao over half the guys at the stores I go to don't paint or put off painting their minis (myself included) and it's one of the coolest communities I've ever been in, this diversion is sad and elitist

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

sasha_d3ath posted:

lmao over half the guys at the stores I go to don't paint or put off painting their minis (myself included) and it's one of the coolest communities I've ever been in, this diversion is sad and elitist

Thanks for the input, chief

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I have never refused to play someone who wanted to field unpainted minis because I've always felt encouraging players to get models on the table was more important than forcing them to spend dozens of hours painting before even getting a game in with their very expensive toys. However, a buddy and I have an agreement between the two of us that we will never field unpainted models against each other. It's like an accountability partner and has been a great way to stay motivated for years as we're always excited to try out a new unit and show off our latest paint job.

There's no one right way to approach the hobby and you just have to do what works for you and your community. Gatekeeping is lame, but finding ways to stay motivated is also important.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Not wanting to play with unpainted models isn't gatekeeping or elitism. If you have a community who loves playing with unpainted models, that's great! For my club, we only play with painted models because it is part of the hobby and respects the time and effort people put into it. I honestly don't like painting models but I like the end result, so I put the time in.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
At least prime them black for Pete’s sake

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

sasha_d3ath posted:

Lol if over half the guys at the stores you go to refuse to paint or just straight up put off painting your armies and the rest put the effort into making theirs look as dope as they possibly can then it's not the guys with the unpainted minis who are making that particular community cool.

AndyElusive fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Feb 1, 2024

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Can this entire argument gently caress off to somewhere else, thanks.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
It's my unspiration

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Ban-thing the man-things.
pissing and making GBS threads because toy not right :(

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Alright. I contributed to it so I hope this doesn't come off as hypocritical, but yes, let's move on from this topic, as it's really not the right thread for it but I'm right and you're wrong nyah

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style
dva overwatch

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

The Knight's shield plate with "Penis" in Japanese is icing on the poo poo cake.

Honestly kinda like the idea of Deathwatch with album/band shoulder pads though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Death Watch except it's that Beetles album cover.