Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

TVGM posted:

Zelina Vega

Mason Madden also had to become a VTuber because he lost the rights to stream his face

Episode 251 Castle Super Beast podcast posted:

There was a minute where the people in charge, my bosses, were like, "Hey, I heard you guys are making a lot of money on Twitch" ... there was a two year period of them trying to figure out how to work out a deal with Twitch where they would get a cut of Twitch revenue, right. And, in that time period, they said "Stop streaming" ... the argument they made when I was like "Why can I not do my hobby?" They were like "Technically, we have the rights to your image." And I was like, "Ok, I'll just get a new image."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
Remember when cm punk beat the whole SHIELD 1 vs 3?

remember when shield was good. and fueding with the wyatts. I member.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

GolfHole posted:

i know cm punk mostly as a promoter of straightedge during the whole emo era of the early 2000's

i didnt find out he was a wrestler for a few years afterwards

hearing about him is kind of like hearing about emo kids again, 20 years later

The first time my wife saw him as a wrestler, she was saying, "Oh, that's the guy from the Frank Turner video."

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Supreme Allah posted:

Remember when cm punk beat the whole SHIELD 1 vs 3?

remember when shield was good. and fueding with the wyatts. I member.

that was a decade ago, multiple people mentioned are dead

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

AlmightyBob posted:

that was a decade ago, multiple people mentioned are dead

and ?

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

I'm just saying, the good times are gone

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

FutonForensic posted:

Mason Madden also had to become a VTuber because he lost the rights to stream his face

this is why warrior changed his name to warrior lol

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
so you want to copyright my character this me vince... it turns out i changed my name to warrior legally and you cant trademark a name owned

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
There is a lot of people making GBS threads on other people and on things in that last. Its honestly very surprising.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
I don't know how many ECW shows were in Buffalo in 1999, but if there was only one, I was there.

quote:

256. ECW in 1999, they ran a show in Buffalo, NY. Mikey Whipwreck had invited his brother and some of his brother's friends to the show. Judge Jeff Jones gave GhB to Mikey Whipwreck's brother, who subsequently gave it to one of his friends, who then OD'd and died. Jones was subsequently fired from the company. For all those wondering why Jones disappeared all of a sudden, there's your answer.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

wesleywillis posted:

I don't know how many ECW shows were in Buffalo in 1999, but if there was only one, I was there.

I believe any rumor about ECW and ECW wrestlers because that was a insane place

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

Hollismason posted:

I believe any rumor about ECW and ECW wrestlers because that was a insane place

Taz walked into an ER with a broken neck that should have paralyzed him.

Sabu and/or Bill Alfanso have gotten "injured" in a Wawa to get free healthcare.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Fun thing going on Wednesday at 5pm ET. There's a Twitch/YouTube group newLEGACYinc who do a thing every two years called the Royal Rumblethon. Every day January, they sim a Royal Rumble in a different video game while doing commentary. The jankier and glitchier the better.

Now it culminates in the Royaliest Rumble, where all 30 winners face off in the latest WWE 2K game.

Yes, there are three Andre the Giants in there.

MD2020
May 30, 2003

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

InsensitiveSeaBass posted:

Taz walked into an ER with a broken neck that should have paralyzed him.

Sabu and/or Bill Alfanso have gotten "injured" in a Wawa to get free healthcare.

Can't be paralyzed by a broken neck if you have no neck.

MD2020
May 30, 2003

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

FutonForensic posted:

I read this too quickly and thought it was Mark Madden and couldn't understand why anyone would want the rights to his image.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
the sheik, sabus insane uncle, got horrifically burned during an ill advised match where the ropes were made of barbed wire and were also on fire and still finished the match despite almost dying from third degree burns and going into a coma. he was 68

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
sabu sabu sabu sabu

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

the sheik, sabus insane uncle, got horrifically burned during an ill advised match where the ropes were made of barbed wire and were also on fire and still finished the match despite almost dying from third degree burns and going into a coma. he was 68

Something about how if he woke up in Hell he might not notice, and would also find it to be kickin rad.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

TVGM posted:

Punk would also bring up the fact that the wrestlers don't have a union in interviews, making it seem like he could spark the fire Jesse Ventura had tried to so long ago. Nothing ever came of it, even with the SAG-AFTRA talk when that one wrestler with a popular Twitch channel complained about having to give WWE a cut.

You have to be regularly charismatic and liked by your peers to organize a union. Punk by all accounts is a power tripping psycho in the locker room that would pull a Hogan on any organizing if he was told he got to be officially made "Locker Room Leader" and "Supreme Justice of the Wrestle Court." Half the reason he ended up feuding with the locker room at AEW was that he was insulted that guys with 15-20 years of experience, some of them working for many different promotions and abroad, weren't bending the knee to him as a sort of master wrestler. I imagine the second he even brought up a union, the immediate thought was that it would be CM Punk "cult of personality" group. It's his song for a reason and to paraphrase Taz, he's just like Mussolini.

I imagine he didn't try anything in AEW too because he was on Heels and thought it was going to keep going or qualified for SAG membership and didn't care.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Gavok posted:

Fun thing going on Wednesday at 5pm ET. There's a Twitch/YouTube group newLEGACYinc who do a thing every two years called the Royal Rumblethon. Every day January, they sim a Royal Rumble in a different video game while doing commentary. The jankier and glitchier the better.

Now it culminates in the Royaliest Rumble, where all 30 winners face off in the latest WWE 2K game.

Yes, there are three Andre the Giants in there.

Lol at Eugene and Ahmed Johnson

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

Say what now

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

BodyMassageMachine posted:

CM Punk was the first guy in a long time to get people excited about “wrestling” in the US. Not the ONLY guy, but certainly the most high-profile.

In 2010, you basically had WWE as the John Cena superhero show, or MAYBE you liked the slop TNA was serving with lots of washed up guys like Hulk Hogan, but it was all pretty much “sports entertainment” by way of Vince McMahon. I know I fell off REAL hard somewhere around 2005/6 because wrestling had become pretty embarrassing to watch; bad gimmicks/stories, untalented green and roidy dudes getting pushed, abysmally bad women’s representation, etc. Sure, there were indie or foreign promotions doing some good work, but those weren’t exactly mainstream or easy to get into at the time.

Punk’s big run in 2010 saw him challenging that establishment, calling out how bad and stale the industry had become, and in turn becoming “the voice of the voiceless” (aka the frustrated fans that wanted to watch good wrestling instead of lolCenaWins for the millionth time in a row). While it’s all funny in hindsight because he didn’t actually change anything himself, at the time it really felt like Punk was leading the charge of big changes in the industry. Him winning the title off Cena ushered the way for other guys who were overlooked like Bryan Danielson/Daniel Bryan getting their time to shine. CM Punk’s whole style was aping the kind of wrestling you’d see in New Japan or elsewhere (hell, most of his arsenal was lifted from KENTA…), and fans were happy to see a better work-rate and good mic skills becoming more the standard in the industry leader.

When Punk left after years of backstage abuse, including the infamous z-pack/staph infection fiasco, fans deified him, as he was the one guy who could stand up to “the man” (Vince and his goons). He also had the big podcast with Colt Cabana that endeared him to fans and cast a really bad light on WWE’s medical policies and corporate infrastructure (which based on recent developments seems tame by comparison; sending someone their pinkslip on their wedding day isn’t as bad as, say, sex trafficking).

Lots of fans wanted him back for years, and his return to AEW was really well received. Thing is, this dude is a massive mark for himself, and has proven himself a dick time and time again; for example, look up his whole saga against Colt Cabana in the wake of the podcast I just mentioned. It really didn’t take long for him to show his true colors in AEW, and the rest of his comeback felt cursed due to either his ego or his body breaking down.

Now he’s back in WWE after years of publicly railing against them, and while he still has his fans (somehow), I think the shine has really worn off. He’s older, more injury prone, and nowhere near as crisp as he used to be (granted he’s always been a little sloppy in-ring).

In the immortal words of Jon Moxley:

For those who don't know the Moxley promo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDFeoPFeWlg

Funny thing is, this was basically supposed to be a heel promo, but truer words have never been spoken.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Moxley out of WWE and in AEW is still one of the best things to have happened ever, both for himself personally and for wrestling in general. Amazing things happened when you threw the script away and let him loose on the mic.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

bradzilla posted:

Lol at Eugene and Ahmed Johnson

Yeah, these are the best when a random guy wins instead of Undertaker/Triple H/Austin/Cena. Two of those Rumbles almost had Doug Basham of all people win.

Stunt-Puffin
May 19, 2023

wesleywillis posted:

Was it November to Remember 99? If so, I was there too, but I don't remember Mikey being on the card. There were some damned good matches though. Awesome v Tanaka was legendary, New Jack did a good dive off a basketball backboard, and I really enjoyed Sabu v Candido. It was also The Sandman's first PPV back from WCW and I dove under a chair to grab one of the beer cans he threw into the crowd. Still have it.

It was by far the best wrestling show I've ever been to and it sucks to have found out over the years that almost everyone involved was an insane psychopath behind the scenes. That Danny Doring video about him hating the women he degraded was pretty eye opening.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

wesleywillis posted:

this one is 100% true and Judge Jeff Jones works for AEW now as their Social media guy who is very bad at his job

yes.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

so you want to copyright my character this me vince... it turns out i changed my name to warrior legally and you cant trademark a name owned

this post reminded me of the fact that former MMA fighter War Machine is legally named that because TNA trademarked that name for Rhino

anyway he's doing life in prison now

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

Stunt-Puffin posted:

It was by far the best wrestling show I've ever been to and it sucks to have found out over the years that almost everyone involved was an insane psychopath behind the scenes. That Danny Doring video about him hating the women he degraded was pretty eye opening.

That is actually a weird quirk of human psychology: we can often do things backwards. You'd THINK most everything would be 'something happens'-'I have a reaction to it and come to a mental assessment about it', but there's plenty of cases where 'I have a mental assessment' - 'something happens' where our brain goes "Well I had this mental assessment, but this thing happened, and it shouldn't have happened if I had this mental assessment, but it did, ergo I must actually have THIS mental assessment'. The story I heard was Ben Franklin knowing some guy who didn't like him, so Ben asked to borrow a rare book from him (he didn't even want it, he just wanted to borrow something that only the guy had that seemed important), he kept it for a week, then returned it, and the guy and him got along better from then because the guy went "Well, I don't like him, but I loaned him a book, which I wouldn't do if I didn't like him, ergo, I must on some level like him.'

Problem is, this happens with negatives as well. So if you find yourself in a situation where you're harming, degrading, or worse people, and it's not something you're inclined to do, then your brain will invent justifications for it. A classic example: many Nazi guards did not hate Jewish people, but they still had to shoot, murder, torture, and whatnot them en masse, so their brains warped to hate them to inwardly justify what they were doing, and the more they had to torture them, the more their brains twisted to hate them to keep justifying it. Same with Doring. He needed a reason, so his brain gave him one, and he accepted it, the weak pathetic gently caress.

As I've said before, be careful who you pretend to be, because you are who you pretend to be.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

KungFu Grip posted:

this one is 100% true and Judge Jeff Jones works for AEW now as their Social media guy who is very bad at his job

Step 1: tell Tony to stop tweeting

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Excellent psychology on Franklin's part, establish a positive relationship and association, and even trust, to defuse tension.

Sounds like CM Punk is your classic manipulator; he'll say true things if it serves his purpose, and they're still true, just doesn't make him good without consistent actions to back it up.

CaptMrWill
Jan 26, 2004
www.will-o-rama.com

I've been on the IWC since the mid 90s, and I remember first seeing this in the mid-2000s. I'm convinced this is the start of the Savage/Stephanie rumor.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

what on god's earth?

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
japanese wrestling is hardcore

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
sabu stopped going to the hospital to get stiches because it took too much time so he started duct taping his wounds

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I've heard of Hell In A Cell but covering a ring in literal fire seems waaaaaay too unsafe even for wrestling.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
wwe has done them with kane and undertaker and they always sucked

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Is everyone in pro wrestling a loving lunatic, or just the people mentioned in that list?

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

I. M. Gei posted:

Is everyone in pro wrestling a loving lunatic, or just the people mentioned in that list?

yes

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
normal people do not want to be dropped on their heads over and over week after week

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos
Yeah also once you start thinking of everyone involved as a carny it starts to make sense to an extent.