Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
lmao neom

but I mean that truly is the ultimate gilded do-nothing and get paid squillions post-politics cushy gig. GG wyatt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

HazCat posted:

A group tried to get a bike lane added to the park near me. They were actually connecting two bike paths that ran on opposite sides of it, and all they wanted was a strip along one edge of the park to do it. They had a well-organised plan, clear (and modest) costing, and obvious benefits all spelled out.

I found out about this proposal because the local parent group decided they didn't like the idea of it and so blanketed every related suburb (and some outside the council's range, like mine) with fliers decrying the plan as 'anti-child' and 'anti-family', supposedly because children would become possessed and be compelled to run under the wheels of every bike they saw, and every adult (parent or not) would be constantly anxious about the imminent death of every child in the park at all times.

The insane group of loonies prevailed and the lane didn't get approved.

They probably assumed it would turn into a velodrome or some poo poo. like nobody in a park or reserve is getting mad at someone riding a bike on the shared path (assuming they ride like a civilised person). They get mad because that one fat balding oval office on his $15 grand 2kg bike with his stupid little shoes made them a few minutes late for something.

people see all bike users (read: cargo/family bikes, ebikes, commuters, cool BMX or mountain bike types) as cyclists (lycra fuckwits that ride 6 abreast on sundays and clog up cafes)

Cyclists also hate bike users, because they will swear up and down their fat rear end is 'faster than that' and make the rest of us look bad by not riding in bike lanes. they also think e-bikes are cheating and look down their nose at them.

gently caress Cyclists. they are the hoons of the bicycle world. antisocial fuckwits with dumb ugly shoes. Bin.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/9NewsSyd/status/1752576294003323001

now my son has to get a handjob from a girl because of the woke

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Well, I'm an old

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Imagine tearing up because your grandson will have to go to school with girls instead of all boys (and its still the exact same loving school)

what the gently caress is wrong with old peoples values?

Laserface fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Jan 31, 2024

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
boys cant be boys and fondle each other any more because of the woke

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
They're running the saos under a hair dryer BC of the poofters

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Non Compos Mentis posted:

https://twitter.com/9NewsSyd/status/1752576294003323001

now my son has to get a handjob from a girl because of the woke

not necessarily but it’s better to have options

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Bucky Fullminster posted:

I’m exhausted just trying to count the number of turns in that, and it's hard to hear anything over the noise of all the traffic.

Ok now I’ve gotta go here, cross this road, now I’ve gotta go down here, cross this road, now I’ve gotta go up here, cross this road, wait poo poo I missed it, now I’ve gotta go along here..

Do you want to see the route that is straight as possible? A bunch of that is me faffing around until I got to Westmead with variations and adding distance *because I want to* - the map was to serve that actually I knew first hand your description of Westmead to Abbott Rd was not based on fact. IF you are going to make proposals you need to make them in such a way that someone cant falsify your comments in 2 minutes.

quote:

You like driving on a motorway, right? Why is that? Cos you don’t have to stop and start with all the crossing roads and traffic lights at intersections? Cos you can get up to a nice cruising speed? Cos you don’t need to worry about making a bunch of turns to get where you're going?

No I prefer *riding* motorways

This ride is the fastest way to Blacktown using all bike paths and I really do mean it's all offical bike routes, properly sign posted

Section1 - Wall St connects to the North Sydney to Lane Cove cycleway 200m earlier at the exit ramp from Warrigah Motorway just past the bridge that goes over said freeway - this is where the cycleway actually starts but as I said I took the paths and no cheating - every footpath path is signed as a bike path from Milson's Point, all the way up to Wall St where you join a seperated path that fucks off east to... I have no idea but it's not the path that evenually goes west the fastest / easiest way. North Sydney Pacific Hwy to Wall St footpath (which as said is a offical bike path, no cheating) is the easiest climb. Putting in a missing link between NorthSydney and Wall St start of the cyclepath has merit.

Section 2 from Wall St is the seperated bike path from top of Crows Nest to North Ryde Metro station. It's got gradient issues but I see riders of various skill levels taking it.

Section 3 is actually one of the safest bike paths in the whole drat area for a lone adult rider (I stress ADULT rider) and it's the M2 / M7 breakdown lane. Amazing huh? It's actually safer than Clover Moore's dumbass bike paths, Ive seen some real hairy moment and nearly been hit too many times on Bourke St. Real high consequence if you get it wrong but I stand by it's safer than Bourke Road eye popping stress fest and thats a seperated bike path (It really is fuckign terrible especially near Green Square). How loving sad is that? And as said, no cheating, it's a properly signposted bike path that is one of the actual best routes out west. Yes, going north first is the best and fastest route west and there's not a lot that can be done on the two western corridors along Parramatta Rd / M4 to change that fact. As much as the M7path is there, it's slower, more turns and just not a straight drag race like the M7 breakdown is. Also did you know more people have been killed on the M7 bike path than the breakdown?

Section 4 is along the bus lane from M7 to Blacktown. No comment, it's fine mostly.

That's no turns I have to remember, it's all signposted, it's absolutely cruise or set the afterburner if I want. Well it fits your proposal........

Now where am I going with this? Welll if you want some "superhighway" nonsense, you need to understand a lot more where riders *actually* go and in what directions and why - because plonking bike lanes in xyz isnt going to work without a far clearer picture. Not ferries which more or less dont go where riders want to go, no expensive paths that end in the wrong place like your thought on the North Sydney path (extend it to Wall St and join the existing path, dont end it at Falcon St good lord) and why is this out of the way route actually the fastest way west and what can be done to actually improve it so Karen and her kids could do it because while the M2 is good for lone adult cyclist it's def got high consequence if you gently caress up and aint no place for kids.

There are five main corridors out of the CBD - OxfordSt east, Bourke St / Alexandria south (which it absolutly should not be, it should be St Peters / Tempe but LMAO yeah good luck on that one!) Pyront / Darling Harbour / ANZAC or Fish Markets west and Harbour Bridge north. The way to start getting parties onside is coming up with solutions for those five. I have ideas and why there are problems. There so happens to be a really good post further up that in fact would be a good framework to use to do a five gateways CBD cycling proposal.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Mola Yam posted:

lmao neom

but I mean that truly is the ultimate gilded do-nothing and get paid squillions post-politics cushy gig. GG wyatt

I hope to see him walking backwards out of an embassy soon.

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

who knew that learning politics at the knee of ole Philip Ruddock would really pay off this much

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

webmeister posted:

What numbers?

The cost of building these connections would pale in comparison to other transport projects, and the number of cycling trips and their associated benefits would increase beyond the sum total of all other cycling projects. You’re right, I don’t have specific figures at hand, cos I haven't got quotes or put tenders out, hence why I asked about eyeballing it. It is blindingly obvious to me and I’m somewhat surprised that it isn’t to more people. It really is like unclogging a drain below a flooded footpath so that water can flow freely.

There's plenty of numbers here and I’ve started to include them in the thing:

https://www.future.transport.nsw.gov.au/sites/default/files/2022-12/Active_transport_strategy_0.pdf
https://www.transport.nsw.gov.au/system/files/media/documents/2023/Strategic_cycleway_corridors_Greater_Sydney_Summary.pdf

HazCat posted:

A group tried to get a bike lane added to the park near me. They were actually connecting two bike paths that ran on opposite sides of it, and all they wanted was a strip along one edge of the park to do it. They had a well-organised plan, clear (and modest) costing, and obvious benefits all spelled out.

I found out about this proposal because the local parent group decided they didn't like the idea of it and so blanketed every related suburb (and some outside the council's range, like mine) with fliers

The insane group of loonies prevailed and the lane didn't get approved.

Which is why we need something like a Sydney Cycle Superhighway Delivery Authority, presumably as a department of TFNSW, to take those battles off the hands of community groups and get it done in one fell swoop. That will help get numbers to a tipping point, which will make the rest of the fights way easier.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I knew first hand your description of Westmead to Abbott Rd was not based on fact. IF you are going to make proposals you need to make them in such a way that someone cant falsify your comments in 2 minutes.

I think there's been a misunderstanding, so apologies if I was unclear. I have ridden through there many times in many different ways and this is what I'm proposing:

The river route if we can, and the road route in the meantime. (If you do go check it out be prepared for long grass along the top left, and yes the redbank trail continues along Parabianga reserve before crossing back over the river on Briens rd)

quote:

This ride is the fastest way to Blacktown

Cool man, that's part of the superhighway network. Using the motorways. If we can find the budget to put some of these kind of things down to at least mitigate the debris, then I'll settle for the breakdown lane of the M2 while we sort out the route that runs along side it (eg Talavera rd, Junction rd in Winston Hills), because that is admittedly one of the more challenging parts of the whole plan.

quote:

Also did you know more people have been killed on the M7 bike path than the breakdown?

What, from rogue dirt-bikes or something? How does that work?

quote:

expensive paths that end in the wrong place like your thought on the North Sydney path (extend it to Wall St and join the existing path, dont end it at Falcon St good lord)

I don't want to keep going back and forth like this sorry, but I'm not talking about anything expensive (well, apart from the skyway), and I'm definitely not "ending" anything, but where's the Wall St? Do you mean West st?

quote:

plonking bike lanes in xyz isnt going to work without a far clearer picture.

I'm not plonking them down in xyz, I'm carefully placing them in very specific places, using a very strategic formula - follow the trainlines, motorways, waterways, and the edges of golfcourses (and graveyards), as closely as possible, as well as existing paths of course. If we do that, then we get this:

Which I hope we can agree offers maximum coverage and connection, with minimum cost and disruption. I do have the street-level detail for pretty much all of it, but yes it does need to be communicated more clearly, so we can leave it there while I keep working on that, thanks again.

In conclusion,

Bike paths have to go somewhere, right? The Government understands the benefits (which is why I wasn't too fussed about the numbers, cos they're understood), and is actively spending tens of millions of dollars paying consultants like Civille to come up with various sections, while hoping that the councils will spend more money on pitching them the right combination of grant applications for paths to add up to a cohesive network before 2035.

Each mayor and councillor is focused on their own individual LGA, each state and federal MP is focused on their own individual electorate, and Transport for NSW is focused on delivering the projects that this process produces. This approach gives us some lovely paths and beautiful bridges, but it’s never going to deliver the contiguous basin-wide network that we need to make cycling a viable reality.

There's no one who's job it is to design a basin-wide network. Or if there is, they ain't doing poo poo. So we're literally just flying blind. It's nuts. We don't have a plan to aim for. It's like building a house with no blueprint, where each flatmate just puts the bricks where they want. The process is broken, and that is why we don't have good routes, and why we're stuck with cars.

By starting with what we already have, zooming out to look at the big picture and how to connect it, these natural corridors present themselves, and what emerges is this network, which the premier can have if he wants by basically clicking his fingers.

Anyway, that'll do for now. Pretty psyched about those showers on the wharves.

Bucky Fullminster fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Jan 31, 2024

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
There is just something so amazing and reinforcing as a hypothetical NSW state government department delivering yet another infrastructure project for Sydney while NSW flood victims struggle to get any support.

I got a challenge for you Bucky - if you want to know why people might be against your project, go to Lismore and spend a few hours having a look around and talking to the locals.

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Recoome posted:

There is just something so amazing and reinforcing as a hypothetical NSW state government department delivering yet another infrastructure project for Sydney while NSW flood victims struggle to get any support.

I got a challenge for you Bucky - if you want to know why people might be against your project, go to Lismore and spend a few hours having a look around and talking to the locals.

NSW = Newcastle, Sydney, Wollongong

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

Ewwwww

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

It is blindingly obvious to me and I’m somewhat surprised that it isn’t to more people.

This I think is the most telling part.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

I think there's been a misunderstanding, so apologies if I was unclear. I have ridden through there many times in many different ways and this is what I'm proposing:

The river route if we can, and the road route in the meantime. (If you do go check it out be prepared for long grass along the top left, and yes the redbank trail continues along Parabianga reserve before crossing back over the river on Briens rd)

No one is using your alternative when West St as marked and noted *is the actual best and fastest route* and gets you right onto the existing bike infra. This is frustrating you wont listen to the existing bike infra part.

quote:

Cool man, that's part of the superhighway network. Using the motorways. If we can find the budget to put some of these kind of things down to at least mitigate the debris, then I'll settle for the breakdown lane of the M2 while we sort out the route that runs along side it (eg Talavera rd, Junction rd in Winston Hills), because that is admittedly one of the more challenging parts of the whole plan.

... I.... what the Talavera and Junction?!?!?! Stop. NO. I know the roads that lead to and away and just plain you will kill M2 cycling faster than the Bicycle NSW nonsense of suggestion North Rocks Rd when the M2 was being widened. It has never recovered in numbers since.

The actual solution is a on way bike lane on the other side of the crash barrier on both sides. It's actually doable for the majority of the M2 as well and there's even an existing maintenace path there. Have that one on me for free rather than the alternative that would make though-cycling awful

quote:

What, from rogue dirt-bikes or something? How does that work?

The cycleway, while decent has several high speed downhill sections with abrupt turns at the end and as well several sharp corners where head on collisions take place where cyclists misjudge and not even necessarily corner cut.

quote:

I don't want to keep going back and forth like this sorry, but I'm not talking about anything expensive (well, apart from the skyway), and I'm definitely not "ending" anything, but where's the Wall St? Do you mean West st?

Sorry yes West St. Where the present separated bike infra ends rather than the... I dont know but I aint going that way that you think I should and neither would the cyclists also using West St.

quote:

I'm not plonking them down in xyz, I'm carefully placing them in very specific places, using a very strategic formula - follow the trainlines, motorways, waterways, and the edges of golfcourses (and graveyards), as closely as possible, as well as existing paths of course. If we do that, then we get this:

Which I hope we can agree offers maximum coverage and connection, with minimum cost and disruption. I do have the street-level detail for pretty much all of it, but yes it does need to be communicated more clearly, so we can leave it there while I keep working on that, thanks again.
By starting with what we already have, zooming out to look at the big picture and how to connect it, these natural corridors present themselves, and what emerges is this network, which the premier can have if he wants by basically clicking his fingers.

Anyway, that'll do for now. Pretty psyched about those showers on the wharves.

I had a good look at your map and plonking them down in xyz Is *exactly* what I would call it because I can id half a dozen areas immediately you can not even think about building there and it gets worse the more I look. Now maybe I'm coming at this hard but frankly anyone really opposed to any bike plan will be far worse in their objections. If it can not stand up to someone who is nominally on bike lane's side who hasnt even really given things a hard look and moreover knows the roads, then it will not fly full stop.

New CBD construction is asking for End Of Trip facilities and as several buildings in the CBD have proven, you can retofit EOT facilities. Showers at wharves will not be used by cyclists but would more be taken by tourists and the homeless and actually thats without a bit snark a really good idea to give the homeless somewhere to clean themselves. Lets do that and let the EOT be handled by CBD buildings and enforced by council by-law

quote:

which the premier can have if he wants by basically clicking his fingers.

Ummmmm..............

Wow

Yeah nah doesnt work that way

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
When they add an extra lane to the M7 make it a cycle lane

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Boy am I glad to have the V1 Bikeway in Brisbane so i don't have to care about Sydney.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Anidav posted:

Boy am I glad to have the V1 Bikeway live in Brisbane so i don't have to care about Sydney.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Laserface posted:

Imagine tearing up because your grandson will have to go to school with girls instead of all boys (and its still the exact same loving school)

what the gently caress is wrong with old peoples values?

The crying guy definitely has strong values, he was literally sent to jail for corruption by ICAC, lol

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2004-12-23/weekend-detention-for-corruption-go-between/607454

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

The cost of building these connections would pale in comparison to other transport projects, and the number of cycling trips and their associated benefits would increase beyond the sum total of all other cycling projects. You’re right, I don’t have specific figures at hand, cos I haven't got quotes or put tenders out, hence why I asked about eyeballing it. It is blindingly obvious to me and I’m somewhat surprised that it isn’t to more people.

Yeah, I agree that it will be cheaper than eg Westconnex, or the various Metro projects.

But how much cheaper? You don’t know.
How much will it cost, even ballpark? You don’t know.
Is it the best way to encourage cycling? You don’t know.

I’m not saying you need to have quotes and tenders etc, but you absolutely need to look at similar projects and how much they cost, then estimate yours accordingly. You have done none of this, you just insist that it’s obviously cheap. If it was blindingly obvious, nobody would be querying you about it - so maybe you should think about why that is.

And again: stop arguing minutiae on the internet. Do some actual research that isn’t drawing lines on Google maps, and update your document appropriately with facts and figures - not guesses and conjecture. And for gods sake, show it people who actually care.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

Recoome posted:

This is actually a fair point, if you want to get these bike paths built Bucky you're going to have to reroute them through flood plains so they get destroyed on a frequent basis.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

webmeister posted:

Yeah, I agree that it will be cheaper than eg Westconnex, or the various Metro projects.

But how much cheaper? You don’t know.
How much will it cost, even ballpark? You don’t know.
Is it the best way to encourage cycling? You don’t know.

I’m not saying you need to have quotes and tenders etc, but you absolutely need to look at similar projects and how much they cost, then estimate yours accordingly. You have done none of this, you just insist that it’s obviously cheap. If it was blindingly obvious, nobody would be querying you about it - so maybe you should think about why that is.

And again: stop arguing minutiae on the internet. Do some actual research that isn’t drawing lines on Google maps, and update your document appropriately with facts and figures - not guesses and conjecture. And for gods sake, show it people who actually care.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Can someone summarise this bike lane chat. Is it thousands of miles of bike lanes installed with the expectation that everyone suddenly rides bikes?

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Thousands of pixels on a map
Unable to summarise, a goon shouts into the void
The others shrug, word cloud

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

The actual solution is a on way bike lane on the other side of the crash barrier on both sides. It's actually doable for the majority of the M2 as well and there's even an existing maintenace path there. Have that one on me for free rather than the alternative that would make though-cycling awful

Yep that's my first choice too (crash barrier / sound barrier). Breakdown lane in the meantime. Talavera / junction et al are just for the off-motorway parts that run beside it, which do have a role to play for serviceability.

quote:

No one is using your alternative when West St as marked and noted *is the actual best and fastest route* and gets you right onto the existing bike infra.

Are you still talking about parramatta/westmead part there? This is connecting the bottom of the M7 / T-Way / Cumberland Highway to Parramatta park. Instead of going up Darcy rd. The creek could use a clean but otherwise it's beautiful.

quote:

but I aint going that way that you think I should and neither would the cyclists also using West St.

Well not now, obviously. But sure, those details can be worked out.

quote:

I had a good look at your map and plonking them down in xyz Is *exactly* what I would call it because I can id half a dozen areas immediately you can not even think about building there and it gets worse the more I look.

ok yeah I think that's a function of the inaccuracy of the green lines, so I'll try and get it in a form like this.

quote:

Yeah nah doesnt work that way

Premier sees that he can solve traffic, tolls, parking, petrol, make our streets safer and quieter, let sporting heroes get to practice, etc, with a plan that will transform how we move around and secure his place in government, for less than the cost of 1 km of train tunnel.
Gets his Jim to go to his Tony
TFNSW establish a Sydney Cycle Superhighway Delivery Authority, who work with all the councils who say "holy poo poo yes please"
Everything else flows down from there

It's about giving cycling and cyclists the same planning respect as cars and trains.

There's three elements here - The Plan, the Pitch, and the Process / System. You've been very helpful with the Plan and recoome and webmeister and others have been very helpful with the Pitch. The process for cycleway selection and construction is where the real problem is, that's why we don't currently have a plan, and a top-down system that looks at a genuine basin-wide network (based on this map as a starting point) is the solution.

webmeister posted:

look at similar projects and how much they cost

It's 50% already there, and 90% of the rest is just this:

That's the beauty, it's practically too cheap to meter. It's not even about building infrastructure, it's about how we decide to allocate existing resources. "This is a superhighway now! This humble path, which has been quietly running behind your neighbourhood along the creek the whole time, can actually take you and the kids all the way to the city or the shops or the school or the stadium or wherever you want to go, with no interruptions, on a bike! For real life."

Recoome posted:

NSW state government department delivering yet another infrastructure project for Sydney while NSW flood victims struggle to get any support.

This creates more money in the budget, because instead of spending $38 million on bridges that don't do anything, we align all the projects at once and get it done for a fraction of the cost, for exponentially more benefit, while dramatically reducing our dependence of fossil fuels that cause floods in the first place.

And yes, they are totally flood- resistant (if we raise the M7 path for a few hundred meters at Prestons at least). Which is more than can be said for the metro.

But ok surely that's enough for now, thanks all.

JBP posted:

Can someone summarise this bike lane chat. Is it thousands of miles of bike lanes installed with the expectation that everyone suddenly rides bikes?

980 miles are already there. We "build" the last 20 to connect them, creating 1000 miles for practically nothing, tell everyone it's a superhighway, and then yeah pretty much.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Bucky, if your idea is so right, perfect, and foolproof - why isn’t it already done?

poo poo or get off the pot.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Nobody is going to use it but they should build Bucky's thing to aggravate motorists

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

JBP posted:

Also ferries to take the bikes.

Bike lanes made from ferries

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
Bucky has solved traffic congestion and everyone against The Plan is denying reality.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Recoome posted:

Bucky, if your idea is so right, perfect, and foolproof - why isn’t it already done?

Because the process is broken! I said that already. It's based on the state gov asking local councils to pitch them segments with grant applications. Everyone has their heads down on their own itty bitty little sections and one knows what we're actually trying to work towards. There's no one who's job it is to draw the whole map, and that's absurd. Cos we're still acting like pedal-assist doesn't exist.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Also ferries to take the bikes.

Bike lanes made from ferries

And hooks in the first / second train carriages, to get bikes out of everyone else's way.

And literally yes.

e - lol thanks Amethyst.

trunkh
Jan 31, 2011

Whats amusing to me is that Bucky has actually received some very good advice from some people quite qualified to give it.

But the manifesto persists. The only way any of this happens is if they become a billionaire willing to fund it themselves

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Honestly though bucky you should probably read one of the many, many many 100+ page PDFs published on this exact topic by the NSW government, the city of city council, and the university of sydney. I know you won't do this becuae you have Seen Through The Bullshit That Everyone Else is Blind to but they are better than your medium article.

Here's one https://www.transport.nsw.gov.au/system/files?file=media/documents/2022/Cycleway-Design-Toolbox-Web_0.pdf

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

there is even a 100 page PDF specificly on how to visualise and present ideas to governments to get projects like this over the line. The amount of effort put into this thing by thousands of very smart people over the decades is staggering and their work is freely available.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Bucky idk what hand drawn spider webs on google maps is going to fix when it seems what you’re really proposing is for changes to how planning, transportation and infrastructure are coordinated.

So it must suck that you wrote all that for nothing, because one niche project won’t affect change on that root cause.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Amethyst posted:

there is even a 100 page PDF specificly on how to visualise and present ideas to governments to get projects like this over the line. The amount of effort put into this thing by thousands of very smart people over the decades is staggering and their work is freely available.

You might say that looking at such a document prior to writing one yourself would appear to be blindingly obvious.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Ha ha I nearly typo’d blindingly oblivious. That would have been confusing!

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

The Lord Mayor of Sydney has famously made it her mission to build as much bicycle infrastructure as possible and has made admirable progress in fits and starts over many many years. I honestly don’t see how you could possibly think that using existing transport corridors for bike lanes is a novel idea if you live here and have been paying slight attention.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Amethyst posted:

Honestly though bucky you should probably read one of the many, many many 100+ page PDFs published on this exact topic by the NSW government, the city of city council, and the university of sydney. I know you won't do this becuae you have Seen Through The Bullshit That Everyone Else is Blind to but they are better than your medium article.

Here's one https://www.transport.nsw.gov.au/system/files?file=media/documents/2022/Cycleway-Design-Toolbox-Web_0.pdf

Yes I've seen that, thanks, it's all incorporated in there. The green lines will follow these guidelines.

hambeet posted:

spider webs

Ah, you're saying that the network map actually mimics one of the most effective and beautiful designs that nature has produced.

Amethyst posted:

The Lord Mayor of Sydney has famously made it her mission to build as much bicycle infrastructure as possible and has made admirable progress in fits and starts over many many years. I honestly don’t see how you could possibly think that using existing transport corridors for bike lanes is a novel idea

I'm grateful for the work Clover and her team have done. Sydney is much bigger than COS, and I'm sick of the fits and starts over many many years. We need this done now.

And we still ain't got a superhighway that connects the basin so it is at least a bit novel in that respect.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)