Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuckstick
Nov 30, 2000

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah but imo the shortcut is better overall especially since it doesn’t matter if it’s a Live Photo or HEIC it converts it to jpg.

Can you point me to a post in this thread about how to use said shortcut? Or just explain it if that’s easier?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Fuckstick posted:

Can you point me to a post in this thread about how to use said shortcut? Or just explain it if that’s easier?

Oh yeah sorry.

https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/b1d04c5648c04c93ac7cf1b715e02623

Add this to your shortcuts app.

You just click it and pick the photo you want. It spits out a link which you paste into the app.

On my widgets screen I have the shortcut there so I can get to it pretty easy.

Like this

Fuckstick
Nov 30, 2000

MarcusSA posted:

Oh yeah sorry.

You just click it and pick the photo you want. It spits out a link which you paste into the app.

Like this

Thanks! I’ll give it a shot.

Edit: Ooh that is kinda slick! Thanks again!

Fuckstick fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Jan 25, 2024

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Just seeing if I did this right for future reference…I never used the “Shortcut” app on my iPhone/iPad before!

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Tell your dog I said hi

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

who’s a good test image?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The most important shortcuts: uploading images, and ordering coffee

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
That's a good dog.

fart barterer
Aug 24, 2006

David Byrne - Like Humans Do (Radio Edit).mp3
Hey all, crossposting like a madman for the upcoming collapsable quotes feature. I posted about it for Awful.apk here so not going to copy+paste. That post links to a JSFiddle example of how it will look, the discussion where users can give feedback, and a somewhat finalized schema for the HTML changes.

As mentioned there, we won't want to launch until iOS and Android apps have a forwards-compatible update and users have had time to download it. The HTML schema is not final yet, but once we have it in beta I'll post here again.

(It looks like Awful.apk won't be forwards compatible but I haven't check the iOS source code. If it works anyway, somehow, then that's great too.)

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Don’t take my word as gospel, because it’s been a long time since I looked at the app’s code, but I think the HTML inside the body of the post is inserted into the app’s HTML templates essentially unaltered. I wouldn’t think that this sort of change would break anything. It just won’t collapse or be pretty since the app has no CSS or JavaScript to handle it.

fart barterer
Aug 24, 2006

Diabolik900 posted:

Don’t take my word as gospel, because it’s been a long time since I looked at the app’s code, but I think the HTML inside the body of the post is inserted into the app’s HTML templates essentially unaltered. I wouldn’t think that this sort of change would break anything. It just won’t collapse or be pretty since the app has no CSS or JavaScript to handle it.

Hmm, maybe that'll work. But the expandContanier and collapseContainer also have a little text content for the buttons, so unless the app knows to load the CSS and see that they're display:none then it'll render the button text below the post content, I'm guessing.

fart barterer fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Jan 31, 2024

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Nevermind I think I got it!

obi_ant fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Feb 1, 2024

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.
My shortcut has been uploading tied to an account for a while now. If you can get it working I recommend it.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I don’t understand why collapsible quotes have a representation in the markup. Isn’t that purely presentational, and therefore best driven by CSS/JS/native-code in the view? What is the semantic meaning of “collapsible” here? At the most I would expect some class or @data-* annotation to indicate that it was collapsible, and then the display layer (web JS, app code, whatever) would wire up whatever affordances it wanted for that process.

(I have never wanted to collapse a quote, personally, but I assume that it’s important to someone.)

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

Oh yeah sorry.

Like this

Rip dark sky

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

kri kri posted:

Rip dark sky

carrot keeps it real

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Name filtering on the bookmarks page would be real cool

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

kri kri posted:

Rip dark sky

Dark Sky was bought and integrated into Apple's weather app.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Zesty posted:

Dark Sky was bought and integrated into Apple's weather app.

And made significantly worse in the process.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

not sure if its a bug but i think the recent iOS update turned off app access to mobile data - was pulling my hair out trying to figure out why i could only use the app on wifi, just posting this in case anyone else gets this rather easy to fix issue

fart barterer
Aug 24, 2006

fart barterer posted:

Hey all, crossposting like a madman for the upcoming collapsable quotes feature. I posted about it for Awful.apk here so not going to copy+paste. That post links to a JSFiddle example of how it will look, the discussion where users can give feedback, and a somewhat finalized schema for the HTML changes.

As mentioned there, we won't want to launch until iOS and Android apps have a forwards-compatible update and users have had time to download it. The HTML schema is not final yet, but once we have it in beta I'll post here again.

(It looks like Awful.apk won't be forwards compatible but I haven't check the iOS source code. If it works anyway, somehow, then that's great too.)

New version of this leaves the HTML alone and injects it with JS, so unless the app processes that then quotes will be exactly the same now :thumbsup:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

fart barterer posted:

New version of this leaves the HTML alone and injects it with JS, so unless the app processes that then quotes will be exactly the same now :thumbsup:

Thanks for that!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

New beta just dropped with the fix, which Pokeyman found and I typed, for crashing during posting. I only ever saw it on my iPad but the code looks like it would have affected iPhone too, so I guess I was just lucky?

If you’re on the beta and see a crash when posting (or when (un)bookmarking while viewing a thread’s posts for that matter), please submit the report and put “for Subjunctive” in the notes!

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

I was just noticing that TestFlight Awful was making my phone heat up a bunch when it was on screen for a while (even in threads that aren't image or video heavy), and was preparing to try to track energy usage etc

But then the new TestFlight build dropped and mb things seem back to normal! Thank

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Hmm, I don’t think there’s anything in the new build that would fix that, so maybe it’s something that gets worse the longer a given build is installed, somehow? I’ve run into that in other apps I’ve worked on, long ago. Really damned annoying to debug, as I recall!

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

o no

Well I'll keep an eye out for it in the future then!

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

App icons are still hosed on the new build lol. Figured I’d keep pointing this out.

Also add some new icons already thanks.

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

The blue edit e: is still gone from quotes too

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I don't know a lot about that icon or theme stuff (witness me sort of loving up the october-icon addition), but I can take a look the next time I decide to spend an afternoon cargo-culting Swift

I need to write a lot more patches to amortize this Mac Mini down...

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
Is it possible to add a “find on page” feature to the app? Sometimes I remember a specific word or phrase from a post but don’t want to read every post on the page to find it. Safari and other iOS apps have this as an option but wasn’t sure if this is easy or even feasible to add to the awful app. Thanks.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

That would be a good QoL add. Also the same thing/filtering for the bookmarks page while we’re at it.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

both are entirely feasible to add if someone has the time, IMO. I am afraid of doing anything that changes the UI because I don’t know Swift/UIKit very well, but it would be a nice thing to fiddle with the next time I’m in there

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Is there any way to fix the behavior where tapping on a quoted post takes you to any new posts in the thread, if there have been some since you loaded whatever page you’re on? It works like expected, taking you to the quoted post if no one has replied to the thread since opening it, but fast moving threads can make it unusable.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Is that’s what’s happening? I feel like I never get sent to the quoted post and it feels so random

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

George H.W. oval office posted:

Is that’s what’s happening? I feel like I never get sent to the quoted post and it feels so random

Yeah, and what's even more annoying is that even if you swipe back and click on the quoted post again you still get sent to the same latest "unread". Basically it doesn't mark that unread post as read unless you refresh the page.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
I’ve run into that same issue, but it’s only been in crazy active/fast threads, like a football GDT or something similar where there’s often multiple new posts every minute.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I wonder what’s happening there, and whether it’s on the client side or the server side. Sounds like a real pain to reproduce it though…

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

I wonder what’s happening there, and whether it’s on the client side or the server side. Sounds like a real pain to reproduce it though…

Yea it happens to me quite a bit and it really is annoying AF.

It’s actually easy to reproduce since it happens there’s a new post in a thread you at currently reading.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

I already miss fidgeting with the scratchy haptic thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Lmfao y’all released the build with broken icons.

Skeezy fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Feb 27, 2024