Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

How much are they? The 404 is a lot of sampler for the money

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Dunno bout samplin, but I'd really like to get good at the keys.
I find Matt Johnson inspiring with his enthusiasm, and some of his simpler jam tutorials are pretty good for a rookie. Here he is with the new Montage
https://youtu.be/C6BAIrv_gfo?si=rWHN2KDIFGnPE3TQ

HerzogZwo
Nov 30, 2000

A MIRACLE posted:

How much are they? The 404 is a lot of sampler for the money

PO 2 is $299 (so $200 cheaper than 404 mk2), but probably doesn't do half as much.

I have a volca sampler (rev 1) and kind of hate it and never use it anymore (small knobs, convoluted way to load samples, etc.).

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

the PO2 is cool, but if you have a specific workflow in mind I would investigate that before making a decision. the 404 mk2 should be able to support almost any sampler workflow you have in mind

excited for my Seqtrak to ship. it makes me kinda laugh how similar it looks to the QY. The 6-pattern sequencer looks exactly like the QY's A-F sequencer. I bet it's 480ppq too. I'm pretty sure the same sequencer code is underlying my piano too.. and the AWM2 has the exact same controls as the XG engine had. So to me its basically a QY100 with a chase-sequencer input. The addition of the DX and sampler is really going to be nice.

A MIRACLE fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jan 26, 2024

Boody
Aug 15, 2001

HerzogZwo posted:

Looks like the EP–133 K.O. II are available through the TE website again...

Did anyone here get that yet? Would you recommend over the 404 mk2?

Juno in the UK seemed to get a bunch of these today as well.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
Squarepusher uploaded a new video featuring an oscilloscope, and it inspired me to finally have a go at replicating the Helix Tuner app I use in ReaJS. It's pretty cool to look at and I've been putting synth noises through it for hours to watch it make different pretty patterns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyUWtiTWsLo

Ultimately I want to be able to tune my piano with it but for now it's locked to 440hz.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

snorch posted:

Squarepusher uploaded a new video featuring an oscilloscope, and it inspired me to finally have a go at replicating the Helix Tuner app I use in ReaJS. It's pretty cool to look at and I've been putting synth noises through it for hours to watch it make different pretty patterns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyUWtiTWsLo

Ultimately I want to be able to tune my piano with it but for now it's locked to 440hz.

This is very neat!

Have you released the script somewhere?

snorch
Jul 27, 2009

Lead out in cuffs posted:

This is very neat!

Have you released the script somewhere?

Not yet but I'll probably put it up once I've refined it a bit more.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

have any of the eurorack manufacturers made statements condemning israel yet?

Mike Arthur McVein
Feb 15, 2023

I am really interested in what the guys selling Nazi torture devices think about politics.

Mike Arthur McVein fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jan 27, 2024

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I put my Access Virus TI2 Desktop up for sale. :'( I really, really hate to sell it but I'm skint as gently caress right now and gigs aren't happening. I could entertain the idea of shipping it if goons are interested. Hit me up via PM if you are. $2200CAD, comes with a boatload of patchbanks. Open to reasonable offers.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

The omnichord is back, baby!
https://youtu.be/6uWk5_ifkFk?si=YIQXKq5fERnc29fS

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
$800!

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

now we just need an optigan re release

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Didn’t expect him to go hog wild like that at 1:45.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
I want one

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Hopefully it has more demo tracks for Damon Albarn to rip off as inpiration.

Mike Arthur McVein
Feb 15, 2023

I like Suzuki and I'd like to see them make more music gear but for 800 they could have put in a full midi port.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Suzuki I need you to make a gixxer synth

Idk what that means but I need you to do it

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
sold my taiga, got lzx tbc2 :allears:

i gave a little spiel on video synthesis at our monthly meetup tonight and i think i might just become Video Person there.

Someone else gave a demo of no input mixing using a Behr mixer they had hacked up and modded, and it was very cool and suddenly I see a purpose for the existence of all these noisy behr mixers :laugh: Also got an overview of wavetable stuff from someone who understands their E352 better than I do mine, so, was a good night.

I want to do this now. The mixer itself is cheap; this person actually has breadboard installed through an access panel they cut in the back, allowing for all sorts of fuckery, it sounded heavy as hell.

e: did NOT sell taiga, voided order. the thing is too cool.

Guess I need to go shake about $400 out of a tree somewhere.

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Jan 29, 2024

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

rio posted:

Didn’t expect him to go hog wild like that at 1:45.

that presenter owns

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

field balm posted:

that presenter owns

He's just stoked to show off his finger drums!

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

trilobite terror posted:

Suzuki I need you to make a gixxer synth

Something like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aArSn4IhHI&t=23s

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Great energy from the presenter

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Is turbo lag analog portamento?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Suzuki I need you to make a hyabusa synth

snorch
Jul 27, 2009

net work error posted:

Great energy from the presenter

I think we've found our anti-dan.

Wrageowrapper
Apr 30, 2009

DRINK! ARSE! FECKIN CHRISTMAS!

Cabbages and Kings posted:

sold my taiga, got lzx tbc2 :allears:

i gave a little spiel on video synthesis at our monthly meetup tonight and i think i might just become Video Person there.

Looks like Mystic Circuits, the guys who make IDUM, are getting into video synthesis but going for something slightly cheaper than LZX. Could be something worth looking into.

Oh and Sleepy Circuits his a new hipster thing which actually looks pretty darn cool.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVRJku76XY4

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Wrageowrapper posted:

Looks like Mystic Circuits, the guys who make IDUM, are getting into video synthesis but going for something slightly cheaper than LZX. Could be something worth looking into.

:hmmyes: I am aware of this and I hope lots of makers start testing the waters (and adhering to gen3 and euro standards!)

That said, the only Mystic Circuits module I am aware of is Ruins which has obnoxiously been in beta and photos with a number of people for more than a year but still vaporware targeted at I think $350.

They explicitly said they are using the most inexpensive possible components to achieve the quality they want to keep costs down. (Ruins is a 4x video VCO; the comparable LZX thing is DWO3 which is 2 oscs @ $499, and the last generation LZX thing to compare to is a single osc which can be had for roughly $350 used at the moment).

I expect to have a DWO3 before Ruins ships, but I'm more interested in the ruins/mainbow comparison, since that's also "4 video function blocks done as inexpensively as possible". In the recent clip I saw the thing they were talking about was how well Ruins holds a stable image, but, I don't think that's really a standout feature; here's a video I just shot of a patch that uses all 4 mainbow oscillators (and nothing else, encoded to composite by ESX3):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rx4eGukuaU

Pardon the thumbprint, gross, and don't ID me bro, but that's holding a completely stable image and will until the cows come home. Ruins is a much smaller faceplate, to be sure, but Mainbow also has an encoder, a decoder and an audio module baked into it.

I hope to see people pioneering weird modulation spaces, more than just cranking out oscillators. I hope they sell 10,000 Ruins so that they do other kinds of modules (but as far as I know that would outnumber the number of LZX racks in existence about 10:1 :laugh:)

I have no hate at all for Sleepy Circuits. I don't think Hypno is for me, at present, but also if literally all I wanted was sound reactive concert visuals that's absolutely where I'd start because it's about 10% the cost of a full rack and about 5x as easy to get reasonable results from as mainbow. I will watch that video, I could certainly see buying one of their weird toys.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I had this original version of major tom linked and immediately thought of your stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQRaj1vcnrs

The 80's were way cooler than I thought they were as I lived through them.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

xzzy posted:

The 80's were way cooler than I thought they were as I lived through them.

:hmmyes: we had chroma key and we loved it. I just wanted to grow up and be able to "do all the things and have all the toys". I don't have time to do all the things but it's funny how many of the toys are, yea, built on basically 80s tech. There's a nostalgia to a lot of this. I still love chroma key

That squarepusher video is the most blessed thing I've seen in ages and now I want to muck with sending arbitrary data from ableton to my oscilloscope through ES-9 with cv tool. I watched it three times and then went and preordered the album on vinyl and got a shirt too because if i am paying for overseas shipping gently caress it

I might circuit bend one of my SE-500 mixers, once my TBC2 deprecates it. I need to do more research but people have bent other Datavision mixers, I think the most important thing is probably figuring out where everything is, I imagine it's going to be mostly the decoder and encoder circuits you want to gently caress with.

SE-500 has midi control and if it seemed straightforward to reroute the circuity from any of the midi assignable functions to a glitched-out thing, that would be utterly blessed.

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Jan 31, 2024

edgar_
Sep 4, 2003

kampen mot gud og hvite krist er i gang
Grimey Drawer

:hmmyes: I am aware of this and I hope lots of makers start testing the waters (and adhering to gen3 and euro standards!)

Tony Rolando from Make Noise has been posting _lots_ of video synth creations lately, which has me curious.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

edgar_ posted:

Tony Rolando from Make Noise has been posting _lots_ of video synth creations lately, which has me curious.

somewhere Tom Erbe is working on LightHack and it's going to change everything

seriously God please let this be true

I'm going to go look at what he's posting; even if he's just doing it because he thinks it's cool and also a very obvious way to make video content for noise things, to me, the more eyes on this stuff the better. The more any of this edges into the mainstream, the more toys are likely to become accessible to me.

I've been looking at VSynth and the ableton plugin :rolleye: -- the poo poo interested me barely at all until I had hardware, but now it's a way to get source material to feed into hardware that's already audio generative. Hell at that point if I want I can devote the entire LZX row to just bringing in some transparent cats and poo poo getting hosed with on top of a vsynth "analog like" feed.

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Jan 31, 2024

BRAIN HANDLE
Jun 8, 2005
servant to the red and blue, the green, yellow and white
i swear i saw some niche forum post about lzx modules being ported to vcv rack. i can't find anything about it when i look though. that would be huge.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

BRAIN HANDLE posted:

i swear i saw some niche forum post about lzx modules being ported to vcv rack. i can't find anything about it when i look though. that would be huge.

i'd be thrilled, but shocked; you could go ask Lars on the LZX discord and probably get a straight no. LZX as a company is trying to keep the gen3 train rolling and also start shipping Chromagnon

adding any of this to VCV rack would require extemely intensive, extensive coding, and the end result would be super clunky compared to Resolme or Jitter toys. No one besides LZX can do it because none of this stuff is DIY, open source, etc etc. Also how would this even work, we'd need some kind of virtual composite and component display thing that could also tie in....... just i

I'd love to see it happen to help LZX sell more stuff but I think if you want to add "analog like" visuals to VCV rack I would just install vsynth or maybe pay $100 for VS since it has MIDI capabilites and does not require a Max/Live license....

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'd love to see it happen to help LZX sell more stuff but I think if you want to add "analog like" visuals to VCV rack I would just install vsynth or maybe pay $100 for VS since it has MIDI capabilites and does not require a Max/Live license....

VS is cool but not worth $100. It just doesn't have enough sensitivity to inputs, all it can do with midi is trigger every time an event comes in (but each layer can listen on a different midi channel so that's a plus). And at least on iOS it can only listen to a single audio stream for looking for transients. It is very cool that you can harvest visual effects from shadertoy and isf.video and convert them to work in VS with relatively little effort. But I always get annoyed trying to actually make anything with it.

I feel like for computer based motion graphics touchdesigner or tooll3 are much better for investing the time to learn.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Checked with my friend who works for lzx and he hasn’t heard anything about vcv rack ports so if they’re happening it probably isn’t anything official

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer
Anybody lights up their keyboard stand’s lower tier? What do you use, LED string lights?

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

xzzy posted:

VS is cool but not worth $100. It just doesn't have enough sensitivity to inputs, all it can do with midi is trigger every time an event comes in (but each layer can listen on a different midi channel so that's a plus). And at least on iOS it can only listen to a single audio stream for looking for transients. It is very cool that you can harvest visual effects from shadertoy and isf.video and convert them to work in VS with relatively little effort. But I always get annoyed trying to actually make anything with it.

I feel like for computer based motion graphics touchdesigner or tooll3 are much better for investing the time to learn.

gotcha. Yea, I didn't dig deeply. It looks to me like the Jitter ecosystem is where I'll start.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUd9cLgkpCw&t=26s

Seems powerful and straightforward enough; I hate computers, but, now I have analog things to feed it to

speaking of hating computers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gF6PX8wB-A

drums are QD sequenced through an ableton loop so i am finally learning how to use a DAW like a normal person.

the underlaying video is a loop of me wrecking on skis and getting whiplash a few weeks ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

xzzy posted:

This is true but also Imaginando has in the past put VS on sale for way cheap, and it is fun enough to be worth it at those much lower price points.