Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Slaan posted:

It makes it even more obvious what partisan hacks they are if you know what executive supremacists they are. They've all gone for decisions that let presidents do whatever the hell they want in the past. But suddenly it's all States Rights (to get brown people killed) and balance of power between the branches when the president has a -D
Yes this happens all the time now

Trump bans all Muslims from the country? Sure.

Biden wants to forgive student loans? Get the gently caress out of here you commie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
If the parties were swapped and you had a Dem governor blocking a Republican POTUS on the border and openly defying the SCOTUS and interfering with Federal agents like Abbott's doing right now, the Dem governor would already be in a cell or the ground.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

It’s almost like electing a Republican president had consequences. You don’t like the Supreme Court? Stop republicans from being president. It’s that simple.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Cimber posted:

wait, what happened?

SCOTUS allowed federal immigration officers to dismantle the physical barriers the Texas state government had installed on the border

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

haveblue posted:

SCOTUS allowed federal immigration officers to dismantle the physical barriers the Texas state government had installed on the border

But notably, those 4 justices disagreed with the idea that the federal government should have final say over states regarding US immigration policy. Nor did they say why, so without even a figleaf of legal reasoning the answer seems to be "pure partisanship".

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Who's taking bets on Sotomayor dying under a Trump administration? There's been precisely zero speculation about a retirement. She's in her 70s.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Potato Salad posted:

Who's taking bets on Sotomayor dying under a Trump administration? There's been precisely zero speculation about a retirement. She's in her 70s.
I doubt there will be a second Trump Administration, I will place my bets on 0%.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Potato Salad posted:

Unless she has a pre-existing health condition I don't know about, she's definitely going to last another five years. She has the position and money to receive the good American health care and is also only 69

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Fair.

Weirdly, she describes herself as 70 in a recent interview. Close enough I guess.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Thomas and Alito are both older than her anyway (75 and 73, respectively). I wouldn't expect any of the three of them to necessarily "age out" of the court in the next administration, but it's not impossible.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Potato Salad posted:

Fair.

Weirdly, she describes herself as 70 in a recent interview. Close enough I guess.

According to Wikipedia, she is 69 years, 7 months, and 6 days old. Add June 25 to your legal birthday calendars

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Please resign at the end of the term, effective when your replacement is confirmed. I love Sotomayor but we can't risk another McConnell ratfuck

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Slaan posted:

Please resign at the end of the term, effective when your replacement is confirmed. I love Sotomayor but we can't risk another McConnell ratfuck

I doubt she's got any desire to pull an RBG but considering how miserable she seems to be (not that I could blame her given how hosed the SCOTUS is) if Biden wins reelection and has a Dem senate I wouldn't be surprised if she decides to retire in the next few years unless we're lucky and a couple conservative justices die or resign.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

haveblue posted:

Unless she has a pre-existing health condition I don't know about, she's definitely going to last another five years. She has the position and money to receive the good American health care and is also only 69

Sotomayor has Type I Diabetes.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

skaboomizzy posted:

Which is not, generally speaking, a problem if you have adequate medical care. Which she does.

Kagrenak
Sep 8, 2010

Kalman posted:

Which is not, generally speaking, a problem if you have adequate medical care. Which she does.

T1D still reduces life expectancy by as much as a decade in Finland and Sweden, and even people with the lowest measurable risk factors (A1C, smoking status, eGFR, BMI) still see a notable reduction of life expectancy. Even T1D that is generally well managed over time is hard on the organs.

https://www.diabetesresearchclinicalpractice.com/article/S0168-8227(23)00055-4/fulltext

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s00125-021-05503-6

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Kagrenak posted:

T1D still reduces life expectancy by as much as a decade in Finland and Sweden, and even people with the lowest measurable risk factors (A1C, smoking status, eGFR, BMI) still see a notable reduction of life expectancy. Even T1D that is generally well managed over time is hard on the organs.

https://www.diabetesresearchclinicalpractice.com/article/S0168-8227(23)00055-4/fulltext

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s00125-021-05503-6

That ignores current age (and honestly doesn't say much about how controlled/quality of care).

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2088852 is more relevant, I think. For a woman of age 70 with T1d, remaining life expectancy is 12.8 years; for a woman of age 70 without diabetes, it's 15.5 years. It's not really that big a difference if you've made it that far.

(Also worth noting that this came up during her nomination - https://www.politico.com/story/2009/07/wh-still-mum-on-sotomayor-diabetes-024778 - and "doctors said Drexler’s report that Sotomayor lacks any evidence of eye, kidney, nerve, or heart problems is remarkable and indicates she can expect greater longevity than the typical diabetic.")

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

everyone huddled around the imperial court's Organ Report to assess the probabilistic threat to our civil liberties

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
I have spoken!

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

External organs sees their shadow, we have six more weeks of Chevron

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
Calling the supreme court the imperial court is apt

Kagrenak
Sep 8, 2010

Kalman posted:

That ignores current age (and honestly doesn't say much about how controlled/quality of care).

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2088852 is more relevant, I think. For a woman of age 70 with T1d, remaining life expectancy is 12.8 years; for a woman of age 70 without diabetes, it's 15.5 years. It's not really that big a difference if you've made it that far.

(Also worth noting that this came up during her nomination - https://www.politico.com/story/2009/07/wh-still-mum-on-sotomayor-diabetes-024778 - and "doctors said Drexler’s report that Sotomayor lacks any evidence of eye, kidney, nerve, or heart problems is remarkable and indicates she can expect greater longevity than the typical diabetic.")

My bad, I actually missed the most relevant figure in my first reference (Figure 4) which directly supports your point here, showing a convergence as age increases. That'll teach me to skim articles and phone post about health stuff I'm not actually an expert in.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Ravenfood posted:

But notably, those 4 justices disagreed with the idea that the federal government should have final say over states regarding US immigration policy. Nor did they say why, so without even a figleaf of legal reasoning the answer seems to be "pure partisanship".

that's not necessarily correct, this wasn't a decision on the merits, it was a decision on the temporary injunction while the scotus case processes. Now, that does at minimum tell us that they don't think it's a completely laughable choice. Those four all think there is a nonzero chance of Texas winning the suit.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Staluigi posted:

everyone huddled around the imperial court's Organ Report to assess the probabilistic threat to our civil liberties

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Google Jeb Bush posted:

that's not necessarily correct, this wasn't a decision on the merits, it was a decision on the temporary injunction while the scotus case processes. Now, that does at minimum tell us that they don't think it's a completely laughable choice. Those four all think there is a nonzero chance of Texas winning the suit.

They think it has a nonzero chance because they're partisan hacks who put their party's desires above all else, OP.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Potato Salad posted:

Forget Sonia, Clarence Thomas retires and is
Replaced by a 30 year old graduate of Hillsdale College named Hezekiel

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Evil Fluffy posted:

They think it has a nonzero chance because they're partisan hacks who put their party's desires above all else, OP.

Imo this only really describes Alito and Kav (and Kagan, and probably KBJ, jury still out on her). The others are pretty clearly true believers with a pretty strong, albeit often incomprehensible, ideological core

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
Gorsuch constantly reminding us in every ruling that we reneged on every treaty with the Native Americans is such a weird quirk.

Feb 6, 2024
"the strength of the legal system...."

Feb 6, 2024

skaboomizzy posted:

to live in the social class with functional medicine....

Feb 6, 2024
welp, still no change on Civil Rights

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Is there a book about the modern court that's as insightful as The Nine, or should I just mentally picture a swastika over that branch of federal government for now and not worry about trying to understand it any deeper?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Would it also be inappropriate to start taking bets on the elephant in the room?

1) Storming a national capitol with intent to interrupt transfer of power and intent to kill somehow is NOT an insurrection
2) The chief executive of the nation is somehow not an officer of the United States
3) The secret third thing, a capstone for Roberts' crusade against Congress and the administrative state, like "actually the postwar Union has no authority to ratify amendments, everything from the 13th Amendment onward is void"

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Potato Salad posted:

Would it also be inappropriate to start taking bets on the elephant in the room?

1) Storming a national capitol with intent to interrupt transfer of power and intent to kill somehow is NOT an insurrection
2) The chief executive of the nation is somehow not an officer of the United States
3) The secret third thing, a capstone for Roberts' crusade against Congress and the administrative state, like "actually the postwar Union has no authority to ratify amendments, everything from the 13th Amendment onward is void"

How void are we talking here? Going to make it retroactive to 1865?

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Potato Salad posted:

My prediction is the court really doesn’t want to get into this and there will be an extremely narrow 9-0 ruling that because insurrection is undefined and no criminal court has held him liable for insurrection he is qualified for the ballot

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

HashtagGirlboss posted:

My prediction is the court really doesn’t want to get into this and there will be an extremely narrow 9-0 ruling that because insurrection is undefined and no criminal court has held him liable for insurrection he is qualified for the ballot

I really doubt the liberals will sign off on "doing a january 6 does not disqualify you from the presidency". If this happens it'll split along party lines like Bush v Gore

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

HashtagGirlboss posted:

I cannot see them inventing a requirement for a criminal conviction for insurrection.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

haveblue posted:

I really doubt the liberals will sign off on "doing a january 6 does not disqualify you from the presidency". If this happens it'll split along party lines like Bush v Gore

Yeah, the most likely outcome is 6-3 with the Republicans holding that Trump's actions don't probably rise to a level of "insurrection" sufficient to trigger the amendment while the liberals go "what the gently caress"

I say 6-3 because none of the conservatives are brave enough to buck the others solo. Two switching over might happen but never just one.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Yeah, the most likely outcome is 6-3 with the Republicans holding that Trump's actions don't probably rise to a level of "insurrection" sufficient to trigger the amendment while the liberals go "what the gently caress"

I say 6-3 because none of the conservatives are brave enough to buck the others solo. Two switching over might happen but never just one.

Nah. Roberts could quite easily be the 4th vote against, even in a 5-4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Kalman posted:

Nah. Roberts could quite easily be the 4th vote against, even in a 5-4.

I doubt it. Roberts is the one conservative justice who understands that public perception of the court's legitimacy can affect his ability to effect change. He'd never sign onto an obvious bullshit Calvinball argument just to be on the losing side. He absolutely might cast the deciding vote either way, but he'd leave the dissents to the shameless shills.