Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QLq2k22AB0
Kinda hyped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

LeeMajors posted:

I had no idea that was Snyder. Great flick.

Snyder suffers from not having oversight in the right places.

Dawn of the dead and 300 were both great. The extended cut of watchmen is also pretty good but watchmen suffered from some pretty serious pacing issues.

Everything since has been screaming for someone to make it a little lighter in the colour palette, a whole lot less bload and a lot less allegory central to its plot.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I won't call the Snyder cut of Justice League a good movie, but it's way the gently caress better than the theatrical cut.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.
I am very confused about positive Snyder chat in a TFF thread. Everything is upside down and outside in.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

I have the original in my library and have yet to play it, so maybe I should rectify that.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Nervous posted:

I am very confused about positive Snyder chat in a TFF thread. Everything is upside down and outside in.

Like a lot of things (but not everything) the truth lies in the middle. Dude has a massive fanbase of super annoying people who think he is cinematically infallible. He also has been reliant on a single, simple style and hasn't made a great film in a long time. He also made some great films and developed a recognizable style, something very few directors have done. It's easy to jump on the he sucks or he is a genius side, when it's really both.

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

Well, that one thing we never lost cattle to. First thing I though was how they get them to market, but I'll assume they slaughter and process them there.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

swickles posted:

Like a lot of things (but not everything) the truth lies in the middle. Dude has a massive fanbase of super annoying people who think he is cinematically infallible. He also has been reliant on a single, simple style and hasn't made a great film in a long time. He also made some great films and developed a recognizable style, something very few directors have done. It's easy to jump on the he sucks or he is a genius side, when it's really both.

In conclusion, Dan Snyder is a land of contrasts.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Omg

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Nervous posted:

In conclusion, Dan Snyder is a land of contrasts.

For a brief moment I am morbidly curious as to what Dan Snyder's taste in film is.

This moment will hopefully go away before I find out.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Man I really liked Death Stranding when I first started playing it, it's so atmospheric and weird and sometimes frightening and cool... and then eventually I figured out that actually I am just grinding away delivering shitloads of packages and building roads and doing loving chores and somehow I'm crossing all of america by driving for ten minutes and it just... I dunno. I couldn't keep playing. I'd look at the game icon on my desktop and think "do I really want to go deliver a bunch of mail right now" and the answer was usually "no."

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Hot Diggity! posted:

I do not own a car and it rocks

Same, sold mine to my sister for $1 before I moved. Love how much more walking I get in my new city.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvwDen1Wrx8

Speaking of movies by directors who sometimes make people mad n sad. This kinda gets my dick hard.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

swickles posted:

Yeah. For some reason my mom loving loves him and is livid that James Gunn is taking over the DC movieverse, but I think a chunk of that anger has more to do with the fact that they're recasting everyone (she gets very attached to her actors)

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

BlindSite posted:

Speaking of movies by directors who sometimes make people mad n sad. This kinda gets my dick hard.

Hell yeah I’ll be watching that, looks fun

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7330354795821223211

Help, I hate the future

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

BlindSite posted:

Thanks for reminding me that I need to watch The Covenant.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Snyder is basically Roland Emmerich with a flashier coat of paint, they are both one trick ponies that haven't made anything good in years.

They make big dumb, emphasis on dumb for most of them, action movies. They are what they are, but Snyder in particular just has this weirdo cult following where his fans think he is some kind of a cinematic genius visionary

Nodoze fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Feb 1, 2024

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

Nodoze posted:

Snyder is basically Roland Emmerich with a flashier coat of paint, they are both one trick ponies that haven't made anything good in years.

They make big dumb, emphasis on dumb for most of them, action movies. They are what they are, but Snyder in particular just has this weirdo cult following where his fans think he is some kind of a cinematic genius visionary

The guy has a distinct style and has a great eye for visuals (which makes sense since he came from commercials, like Michael Bay), but he completely misses the point of characters in service of poo poo that is violent or looks cool.

That isn't a problem with something like 300 or Dawn of the Dead, but is really noticeable with his Watchmen and Superman flicks.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

ozymandius1024 posted:

The guy has a distinct style and has a great eye for visuals (which makes sense since he came from commercials, like Michael Bay), but he completely misses the point of characters in service of poo poo that is violent or looks cool.

That isn't a problem with something like 300 or Dawn of the Dead, but is really noticeable with his Watchmen and Superman flicks.

Much like JJ Abrams, who also sucks but in a different way than Snyder

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Sucker Punch is such a glorious piece of poo poo because it's actively shaming the viewer for objectifying women by… objectifying women. There's supposed to be a director's cut for that too that I'm kind of curious to see.

Meanwhile I'm watching Furious 7 this morning before going on a training hike.

I should note I haven't seen any Fast & Furious movie past the 2nd. Watching this is breaking that streak, and I'm barely paying attention to it.

Rogue Elephant
May 1, 2007

BlindSite posted:

Ritchie hit a real rough patch but seemed to right the ship with The Gentlemen so I will be watching the hell out of this

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Boy, this explains a lot.

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.

BlindSite posted:

I'm not big on The Witcher (just not my genre), but I appreciate Henry Cavill's dedication to taking on roles where he's "just having fun out there".

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

BlindSite posted:

I am begging Hollywood to stop putting a trailer for a trailer in front of a trailer

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Shrimpy posted:

I'm not big on The Witcher (just not my genre), but I appreciate Henry Cavill's dedication to taking on roles where he's "just having fun out there".

It's too bad The Witcher sucked rear end so much he didn't want to do it anymore

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Having more fun then Inglorious bastards, which could be good or bad. Either way I enjoy watching nazis get brutalized however you want to do it, so sure looks promising.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.

This beefy boy is no help either as a desk or for doing my taxes but he is a great lap warmer.

When are the feds launching their free online filing for taxes because it's a pain in the rear end to find it on the tax prep sites. I know it's all money and TurboTax/H&R Block/etc are greedy fucks but drat, I have very simple returns to file and I'm considering going back to doing them by hand.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Shrimpy posted:

I couldn’t give less of a poo poo about Superman but I watched Man of Steel and Supes v Bats because of Henry and enjoyed them enough

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Freaquency posted:

I am begging Hollywood to stop putting a trailer for a trailer in front of a trailer

Until recently it made sense. When I would see a trailer on social media, it would autoplay on mute, and then when I unmuted or enlarged it, I would have to go back a few seconds to restart it. With the mini-8 second trailer in front of it, I don't have to do that, it is queued up once I enlarge it. However, now most videos replay from the beginning my default once you isolate them.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I’m going back through all the Marvel movies, mainly as background noise while working from home and I’m currently on Age of Ultron and I forgot how thick Wanda’s accent was to start with. It’s non-existent in the newer films

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Tulalip Tulips posted:

This beefy boy is no help either as a desk or for doing my taxes but he is a great lap warmer.

When are the feds launching their free online filing for taxes because it's a pain in the rear end to find it on the tax prep sites. I know it's all money and TurboTax/H&R Block/etc are greedy fucks but drat, I have very simple returns to file and I'm considering going back to doing them by hand.

freetaxusa.com is free, goons put me on to it a year or two ago after using turbotax for years. It's free for your federal return. IIRC you have to pay a bit for your state return.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Yeah, freetaxusa is solid

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
The IRS’s own service is IRS Direct File, and the pilot is up and listed at the bottom of the IRS page of e-file options. It is pretty absurdly restricted, in my opinion (you can’t have any non-interest investment income at all), and the state revenue departments clearly have mixed feelings about integrating with it, but it’s there.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Joey Freshwater posted:

I’m going back through all the Marvel movies, mainly as background noise while working from home and I’m currently on Age of Ultron and I forgot how thick Wanda’s accent was to start with. It’s non-existent in the newer films

Maybe she acclimated? :shrug:

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Leperflesh posted:

freetaxusa.com is free, goons put me on to it a year or two ago after using turbotax for years. It's free for your federal return. IIRC you have to pay a bit for your state return.

Same. It was $12 or $14 to file state, federal was free. Switched from Taxact and never looked back.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

3 DONG HORSE posted:

Maybe she acclimated? :shrug:

I mean sure, it’s that or it’s just easier for Elizabeth Olsen to just not have one, either way all I was saying was I forgot she’d had an accent in the first place and how strong it was.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.

Leperflesh posted:

Sweet, I'll save it for next time. Washington has no state income tax so that's not an issue for me but it might be for my brother since works here and in Oregon. The only time I'm going to pay to do taxes is the year my mom finally sells my grandparents house since since inheritance comes in to play there.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Joey Freshwater posted:

I mean sure, it’s that or it’s just easier for Elizabeth Olsen to just not have one, either way all I was saying was I forgot she’d had an accent in the first place and how strong it was.

I think it makes sense according to the timeline that it would lessen/disappear over time. I mean, sure, definitely easier for the actress, but in-universe it tracks as well. I'm just being a nitpicky bitch I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I have good news for you about inheritance taxes: they don't exist, at least for us poors. The lifetime gift/inheritance tax exemption above which you owe any tax is currently $13.61M (double that for married couples) and it goes up every year.

Capital gains tax on the sale of an inherited home has a cost basis set as the fair market value on the date of the death, so if you sell quickly there's no increase in value and thus no capital gains taxes either. If your mom sells her parent's house, she might owe cap gains taxes since she's held it for a while, if it's gone up in value. Do you do her taxes for her?

State is different and I don't know for washington or oregon.