Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

VRChat also has a pretty wild party scene that got birthed from COVID times, but uh, prep your liver if you go down that route.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Qubee posted:

Any thread recommendations for must-have VR games to try out? When I last tried out the HTC Vive, I got awful motion sickness from using it. I'm hoping to get over that hump this time around by stopping any play the second I feel nauseous.
For motion sickness, I keep some ginger candy nearby to help with minor motion sickness.
Good ol' car sickness tips.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

Roadie posted:

VRChat obviously, but make sure to join one of the over-18-only groups like Ancients of VRChat. Social events, music events, improv theater, and simple knockoffs of any other game you can think of (including various board games and stuff like Overcooked) are some of the highlights of things you can find if you go looking for it.

Wait tell me more about this? I have tried vr chat but the amount of weird children immediately turned me off it. How do I find adults only worlds?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Kwolok posted:

Wait tell me more about this? I have tried vr chat but the amount of weird children immediately turned me off it. How do I find adults only worlds?

Fairly easily, but it requires joining a few discords.

https://discord.gg/ancientsofvrchat

This is the Ancients of VRChat discord, it's an 18+ SFW group for hanging out, no squeakers allowed. For getting into things like the clubbing scene or other things, just network. I started out with Ancients of VRChat, and then made friends there, and then followed my friends to other places, and made friends there, and now a year or two in, I have a massive grouping of contacts(Over 800 in my social menu at last count, and probably 50+ VRChat discord groups). Any given evening or day I can find something social going on that is exclusively 18+, I never see children unless they somehow sneak in, which is rare bordering on impossible. Even public admission events I go to are 18+ and squeakers get purged as soon as they mic up.

Thats not to say I don't go to worlds where minors may happen to be on occasion , but I don't interact with them at all, I'm usually there with other older people and we keep to ourselves away from them. Squeakers tend to congregate in easily searchable frontpage worlds, and public game worlds. Stay out of those worlds and your interactions with children will go way down.

Let me know your VRChat display name and I'll help you find some groups to hang out with, or at least be one of your friends you can join off randomly if you're bored.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Feb 1, 2024

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Qubee posted:

Any thread recommendations for must-have VR games to try out? When I last tried out the HTC Vive, I got awful motion sickness from using it. I'm hoping to get over that hump this time around by stopping any play the second I feel nauseous.

Take it with a grain of salt because there are probably 1000 mitigating factors, but I got awful motion sickness using the HTC Vive for any game that didn't have teleport controls like Alyx, but I've borrowed a Quest 2 recently and have been playing the poo poo out of Outer Wilds and haven't had a single issue.

Anyway, that post was a complicated delivery mechanism for saying you should play Outer Wilds in VR, it's loving amazing. Oh yeah, and of course Alyx, which basically ruined a lot of other VR games for me because I expected them to be anywhere near that quality.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Seconding Alyx is really good, especially if you're on a somewhat modern headset. The graphics look amazing and the pacing is awesome.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

orange juche posted:

Fairly easily, but it requires joining a few discords.

https://discord.gg/ancientsofvrchat

This is the Ancients of VRChat discord, it's an 18+ SFW group for hanging out, no squeakers allowed. For getting into things like the clubbing scene or other things, just network. I started out with Ancients of VRChat, and then made friends there, and then followed my friends to other places, and made friends there, and now a year or two in, I have a massive grouping of contacts(Over 800 in my social menu at last count, and probably 50+ VRChat discord groups). Any given evening or day I can find something social going on that is exclusively 18+, I never see children unless they somehow sneak in, which is rare bordering on impossible. Even public admission events I go to are 18+ and squeakers get purged as soon as they mic up.

Thats not to say I don't go to worlds where minors may happen to be on occasion , but I don't interact with them at all, I'm usually there with other older people and we keep to ourselves away from them. Squeakers tend to congregate in easily searchable frontpage worlds, and public game worlds. Stay out of those worlds and your interactions with children will go way down.

Let me know your VRChat display name and I'll help you find some groups to hang out with, or at least be one of your friends you can join off randomly if you're bored.

This is cool and I might have to check it out. VRChat is the one space in VR I never got into. I tried it once back in 2016 when I first got into VR and I think it weirded me out as I had never experienced social VR before so I never bothered but Ive always admired from the outside.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

AccountSupervisor posted:

This is cool and I might have to check it out. VRChat is the one space in VR I never got into. I tried it once back in 2016 when I first got into VR and I think it weirded me out as I had never experienced social VR before so I never bothered but Ive always admired from the outside.

Yup, it definitely helps to have a friend to walk you through things in social VR, because there is definitely a learning curve to it as it does have its own culture, and there's other tips for preserving your PC's performance in social environments that simply aren't an issue in most VR titles, as it's all user generated content and may not adhere to sane optimization standards. Feel free to hit me up any time, drop me a pm with your vrchat name or whatever and I'll show you around.

For the record, I'm definitely an "ancient" of VRChat, most 18+ people are between the age of 20 and 28, and I'm 35, so I am above the average age curve. The fun observation I've made is that there's a psychological phenomenon when speaking to people to assume they're close to your age, especially if you get along or anything like that. I've had so many 20 somethings miss my age by a decade or so on the low end it's amazing.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Feb 1, 2024

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Roadie posted:

VRChat obviously, but make sure to join one of the over-18-only groups like Ancients of VRChat. Social events, music events, improv theater, and simple knockoffs of any other game you can think of (including various board games and stuff like Overcooked) are some of the highlights of things you can find if you go looking for it.

Aside from the social aspects, VRChat is great for just chilling and poking around a VR space at your own pace to help adapt to motion sickness. Just find a world that looks interesting, and relax and wander through it.

orange juche posted:

For the record, I'm definitely an "ancient" of VRChat, most 18+ people are between the age of 20 and 28, and I'm 35, so I am above the average age curve. The fun observation I've made is that there's a psychological phenomenon when speaking to people to assume they're close to your age, especially if you get along or anything like that. I've had so many 20 somethings miss my age by a decade or so on the low end it's amazing.

I'm 36, my bones creak in sympathetic agreement with all this. :corsair:

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'm 36, my bones creak in sympathetic agreement with all this. :corsair:
Play more Not-Just Dance with silly avatars.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

VRChat will also make you rationalize buying $600 worth of FBT hardware as a "smart idea". I did it and honestly? No regrets.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

orange juche posted:

VRChat will also make you rationalize buying $600 worth of FBT hardware as a "smart idea". I did it and honestly? No regrets.

Set of 3 Tundra Trackers and a wireless Modmic for me! :hfive:

(The built-in Vive Pro mic is absolute dogshit and makes you sound like a child because it has no bass pickup)

I also splurged on the VRChat-Edition EOZ FBT straps when they came out. The feet ones I legitimately needed because the redesign they did for them fixed the issue of the velcro pulling the fabric off on the original so they'd stop gripping. The belt, on the other hand, was because obviously I needed a matching set :colbert:

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
[squinting as if i was an old mariner sensing a storm just beyond the horizon]

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

orange juche posted:

Dancing in front of a mirror is just satisfying as gently caress tbh.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Posted by the ShiftyThrifting blog earlier:

https://www.tumblr.com/shiftythrifting/741083323640823808/a-very-scrunkly-zebra-plush-two-weird-shirts-that

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Qubee posted:

Ginger candy or powdered ginger pills help, but what makes much more of a difference is making absolutely sure your IPD is exact and the focal distance is the most comfortable, and that the room has a fan pointing at you which will help with keeping you cool as well as giving you a sense of orientation.

The games that will make you feel least nauseous are screen space games. Eleven Table Tennis, Beat Saber, and Pianovision are all perfectly comfortable to me and I'm super sensitive. I also had no problem with Alyx, using teleport locomotion and snap turn the entire time. I still haven't been able to play the Walking Dead games because they don't have teleport, I guess they'll sit in my steam library for eternity.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

So I bought three straps (kiwi comfort, kiwi battery, and bobovr m3) for the q3 with the intention of returning two. Very quickly I learned I was wrong about two things I had assumed.

The battery on the back of the strap does not make the headset feel heavier. I can’t say if it makes it feel more balanced per se, but it does not make it feel worse and with the q3’s battery so quick to run out that’s a big deal.

Secondly the bobo is the most comfortable by a mile. It looked awkward in photos and makes a bad first impression with feeling janky and the install being much more awkward. Both kiwi slip securely onto the q3 side strap holder and click into place. The bobo you just smash a plastic slip over the holder and it wedges into place. The top strap attaches weird. When I first put it on it felt wobbly like it would slip off. I get the sense this is a q2 product that was minimally modified for the q3.

Despite that it’s amazingly comfortable for long sessions. No other headset or strap I’ve ever tried is near as comfortable. While it doesn’t feel as secure as the other straps it doesn’t seem to move during play in any significant way. The battery works just as well as the kiwi though it’s a bit bigger and more awkward balanced against being replaceable. After about fifteen minutes I was converted. The other straps are going back. I had also bought the amvr facial replacement but it seems unnecessary with the bobo so I might return it too.

My wife had it on for like thirty seconds and wanted her own so we’ve got a q2 version otw. I’m officially a halo style convert.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Ok, I don't know my IPD, people said there are Android apps to measure? But what? Can someone just point me to a thing that looks at my eyes and tells me what number to set the quest 3 to?

Or if it's something that needs that lidar camera or whatever I guess I can use my wife's iphone.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

orange juche posted:

I use an Xbox 360 Kinect.

The results are surprising for 14 year old tech and the Kinects reputation.
Not worth it to go out and buy one but if you have one sitting about like I did it's fun to set up.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

BrainDance posted:

Or if it's something that needs that lidar camera or whatever I guess I can use my wife's iphone.

Dunno about Android but Eye Measure is free on iPhone and does it. I was using it on someone else but I checked it on me and it matched the ipd my eye doctor measured

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

and quest 2 and up

https://www.meta.com/en-gb/blog/quest/metro-awakening-vertigo-games-deep-silver-dmitry-glukhovsky/

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Croccers posted:

I use an Xbox 360 Kinect.

The results are surprising for 14 year old tech and the Kinects reputation.
Not worth it to go out and buy one but if you have one sitting about like I did it's fun to set up.

It's 10 bucks on eBay for a Kinect camera, and yeah it is janky in any situation where you're not facing the camera directly, but hey it is loving perfect for playing not-just-dance in VRChat considering that was its original killer app.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Best way to get your actual IPD is to ask an optometrist to measure you, but it's kind of not super vital since the IPD numbers that different headsets display vary slightly from model to model and even unit to unit.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Oh wow this is great.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

BrainDance posted:

Ok, I don't know my IPD, people said there are Android apps to measure? But what? Can someone just point me to a thing that looks at my eyes and tells me what number to set the quest 3 to?

If you go into an eyeglasses store when they're not busy and say "hey I don't need glasses but if you don't mind could you help me figure out my IPD, I just got one of those VR thingies", that's what I did and they just have devices lying around that tells you in 5 seconds. They don't like people who try to get their IPD so they can order glasses online, but otherwise it's no bother to them.

And yeah it might not match a headset's reading exactly, but it's good to know if you're close, especially if you're past the top/bottom range the headset can do.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

orange juche posted:

It's 10 bucks on eBay for a Kinect camera, and yeah it is janky in any situation where you're not facing the camera directly, but hey it is loving perfect for playing not-just-dance in VRChat considering that was its original killer app.
I already had it, but it apparently the showstopper is making sure you have the genuine Kinect PC adapter.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://twitter.com/VRDesktop/status/1752380400763293923
https://twitter.com/TeamBeefVR/status/1752404943292793034

VR Desktop updates

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Tongue tracking, eh? :thunk:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Finally, Vtubers can get ahegao capable avatars

Context
Sep 11, 2006
Quest update v62 allows viewing of spatial videos (i.e. videos you can shoot with iPhone)

I didn't know this was going to be possible - I wonder if Apple could put a stop to it if they wanted to?

I noticed that to view them, you have to upload the videos and have Meta convert them and store on their servers, so maybe think twice before recording and uploading "sensitive content".

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
virtual desktop updated and now for some reason uevr is broken for me even with the virtual desktop fix on, basically stops rendering after a couple of minutes. big bummer because i was just starting to get into everspace 2

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Croccers posted:

I already had it, but it apparently the showstopper is making sure you have the genuine Kinect PC adapter.

Jump yourself on amazon they make third party ones now.

https://amzn.to/3uhb2Jr

https://amzn.to/3Spcl0V

Theres both. Xbone and 360.

BrainDance posted:

I just asked the old dude at sams club optical. Told em it was for VR stuff. Took 30 seconds.

Id just do that if you care heaps. Otherwise just measure it best you can. Its not that serious.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

You can measure with a metric ruler and a mirror. Hold the ruler up crosswise on your face, from pupil to pupil, parallel to the surface of the mirror. Close your right eye, look with your left eye at your left pupil, note the number. Close your left eye, and look at your right pupil with your right eye, note the number. Subtract to find the difference.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

If you have access to a stereoscope, you can adjust the eyepieces until it looks good, then read the measurement on the scope head. If it doesn't have the measurement thing then just measure with a ruler from center to center of the eyepieces.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

EbolaIvory posted:

Theres both. Xbone and 360.

Did you know the Xbone Kinect is sensitive enough to get your heart rate from the other side of the room? Worked for a dev who figured out we could do it, but decided it was too creepy to implement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnX0qko-OOk

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Zero VGS posted:

Did you know the Xbone Kinect is sensitive enough to get your heart rate from the other side of the room? Worked for a dev who figured out we could do it, but decided it was too creepy to implement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnX0qko-OOk

That is loving cool to be honest.

Wild though. Because its really not heaps better than the 360 one for FBT. Still gets confused on feet and you can't move too quickly.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Al! posted:

virtual desktop updated and now for some reason uevr is broken for me even with the virtual desktop fix on, basically stops rendering after a couple of minutes. big bummer because i was just starting to get into everspace 2

Might be ant to reset uevr back then default settings.. something sounds wacky I’m on tne new vd update me had no problems in uevr last night

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

explosivo posted:

Tongue tracking, eh? :thunk:
Okay, I have to know. How the hell does that work?

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
What is the most comfortable Quest 3 head strap? I don't care about looks or gadgets, just displacing the weight comfortably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BAD AT STUFF
May 10, 2012

We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because fuck you.

Jerusalem posted:

Take it with a grain of salt because there are probably 1000 mitigating factors, but I got awful motion sickness using the HTC Vive for any game that didn't have teleport controls like Alyx, but I've borrowed a Quest 2 recently and have been playing the poo poo out of Outer Wilds and haven't had a single issue.

Same (although not with Outer Wilds, might have to check that out). I'm not sure if it's the increased resolution or what, but the only game I've had any motion sickness with is a shooter with control stick movement and no head bob. Even then, it wasn't as bad as I remember the Vive being.