Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

Too Many Birds posted:

your whole thing about "dead time" makes literally no sense.

If there is less than 6 seconds left on the cashout timer, in the game currently, there is nothing you can do. Its wasted time on the countdown because there isn't enough to complete a steal. So its effectively wasted time or dead time because no meaningful actions as it relates to the objective can occur.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Too Many Birds
Jan 8, 2020

so you are saying that those ~6 seconds should become an OT countdown instead?

i think we are all saying the same thing with just slightly different tweaks.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
Basically the normal timer dictates when a steal can be initiated. This is also how it currently works. The only difference is, if you are in the process of a steal when the timer ends, the timer is extended to the end of that attempt. That's it. Once that attempt succeeds or fails, its over and it cashes out.

The point is: If you start a steal, you always have the opportunity to finish it. That's the entire premise of the OT as requested. It doesn't extend the normal base timer. It creates a one time scenario where if someone is stealing as the timer ends, that final attempt goes to success or interruption.

Too Many Birds
Jan 8, 2020

then yes we are talking about the same idea with tweaks to the formula :v:.

again i don't agree that OT should be added to the game, as i think it would create a predictable meta and discourage bold plays. at the same time i really wouldn't care if there was an OT element added because this game feels special in that the meta can always be disrupted so it'd be interesting to see where it would go.

except for the currently broken poo poo like the FCAR/Recon.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

Too Many Birds posted:

except for the currently broken poo poo like the FCAR/Recon.

The thing that pisses me off most about fcar/recon is just how boring it is. Yes its also overpowered. But in a game all about movement and destruction, I am gonna just use the AR with wallhacks in the most milquetoast call of duty way possible.

I hope that poo poo gets nerfed into the ground.

Too Many Birds
Jan 8, 2020

"next week" they said so hopefully they stick to that.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

they should totally rework or remove recon senses, its just kinda lame as is. when i first saw that i was like 'ah cool, like Blacklight back in the day' but it really just kinda sucks. Medium Dude with AR, Recon Senses, and maybe an aimbot who just stands in place murdering people is the worst thing to fight.

rework would be like a sonar wave forward that marks targets for your team for 8 seconds or something, informing enemies they're detected like how sonar grenades do. Maybe glitches lights that are invisible.

on that note sonar grenades are still such hot garbage i refuse to use them even when i have a contract

amitlu
Nov 13, 2005

Recon senses is indeed lame. They should rework it to just be a pulse that you can trigger from your position that radiates out a certain distance. It's a careful balance though because if it's not useful people will just go back to 99% running heal beam.

I'm excited for the nerf but I also think they need to do something with invis still. Just like wallhacks being in a game is never fun I don't think invis ever is either. They're both just annoying mechanics that need to be heavily limited.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i like playing medium mostly because it lets me put revolver slugs into people, but i was definitely kind of turned off of using recon senses due to the filter on the screen and also the everpresent worry that i should be using it more often or i'll be wasting it

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer
drat, just played with double recon sense beamers and they obliterated everyone and the last match was just depressing. like, we won, but it didn't feel great

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

recon senses isn't even fun to play as it's so overpowered lol

it does give you a sense of how absurdly overpowered "legit" cheaters with wallhacks have it when you try it

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer
so here's my thought

take recon senses off mediums and put it on lights. take invisibility away from lights. keep the invisibility grenade

give mediums somethings else like a "special ammo" that does some kind of increased damage instead. you have to load it into the weapon as the ability and it lasts for one mag, if you reload its gone. that gives them a combat booster that is great for holding points, still obnoxious, but with limitations. maybe something like +50% damage but -50% ammo capacity. or something else better thought out, i dunno, maybe a jet pack

it plays into lights recon function and they're still squishy as all get out.

RaySmuckles fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Jan 28, 2024

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

RaySmuckles posted:

so here's my thought

take recon senses off mediums and put it on lights. take invisibility away from lights. keep the invisibility grenade

give mediums somethings else like a "special ammo" that does some kind of increased damage instead. you have to load it into the weapon as the ability and it lasts for one mag, if you reload its gone. that gives them a combat booster that is great for holding points, still obnoxious, but with limitations. maybe something like +50% damage but -50% ammo capacity. or something else better thought out, i dunno, maybe a jet pack

it plays into lights recon function and they're still squishy as all get out.

jet pack has me sold on this idea

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
give every class the grapple

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
As a med player I just want something that can blow up walls. Never used recon sense.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Mordja posted:

As a med player I just want something that can blow up walls. Never used recon sense.

Put two explosive mines as close to each other as possible on a wall and shoot them.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Herstory Begins Now posted:

But make it so if the heavy uses it, its more like a one time burst and he loving obliterates anything he hits.

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

dogstile posted:

But make it so if the heavy uses it, its more like a one time burst and he loving obliterates anything he hits.

wrecking ball meta

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

dogstile posted:

Heavy fires a grappling hook at the wall of a building, and just pulls the loving wall down rather than flying through the air.

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

I got me two olives and a couple of limes

and a mech

Too Many Birds
Jan 8, 2020

pilot the goddamn eva, light.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Too Many Birds posted:

pilot the goddamn eva, light.

or Scotty will have to do it again.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
Using the 1887 really teaches you that the 0.75 seconds of invulnerability is still too loving much

Three mediums just constantly being able to full reset after two picks ensures it will be the top pick for a long time (though you can sub out one Medium for a heavy)

Kwolok fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Jan 29, 2024

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT

GoldStandardConure posted:

Heavy fires a grappling hook at the wall of a building, and just pulls the loving wall down rather than flying through the air.

hahahahah

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

https://www.reachthefinals.com/patch-notes-10

I hope everyone enjoyed their time with recon senses while they could.

quote:

Added a range limit to Recon Senses set to 30m. Players outside of this range will not be detected

Players detected by Recon Senses will now see ‘Detected’ warning text on their HUD

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
It's still incredibly good..

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Relyssa posted:

https://www.reachthefinals.com/patch-notes-10

I hope everyone enjoyed their time with recon senses while they could.

Given the finals I just played versus a triple medium team where I had to peek through DETECTED for the entire match to see what was going on, I'd say you can carry on as usual. :v:

The new bank it mode with cosmetic rewards is really cool though, the fixed loadout makes it quite different from the rest.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Imo they really should just make it so you can't shoot while using it. Anyone remember Blacklight Retribution? That whole game was built around the wallhack but you also couldn't switch from it directly into shooting.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Mordja posted:

Imo they really should just make it so you can't shoot while using it. Anyone remember Blacklight Retribution? That whole game was built around the wallhack but you also couldn't switch from it directly into shooting.

It's almost like every other multiplayer game that offers some sort of 'wallhacks' mode divorces it from shooting by at least a weapon swap/activation/animation.

Hunt showdown? Gotta channel magic power, can't shoot while doing it
R6 Siege? It's a thingy the operator has to hold like a camera - in fact the game has a bunch of wallhack adjacent abilities, many of which were very quickly nerfed away from something comparable to what is in Finals now: either they only detect moving people, or only electronic devices in use, or otherwise force you to use a gadget that replaces your gun (or makes it a pistol instead of your primary)

DarkDobe fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jan 31, 2024

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
just make it not work through walls, ez solved

el B
Jan 30, 2004
holler.
Thermal vision without the annoying white screen would be fabulous

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

just make it not work through walls, ez solved

how about it lets you see players
only players
nothing else
up to you to figure out where walls are at that point

Triggs
Nov 23, 2005

Tango Down!
The new game mode is incredibly dumb, I really hope its just testing for future events

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Man I really want to like The Finals because I usually only game with 2 other friends regularly but:

- doesnt appear to be any kind of skill based match making at all. playing as 3 very new players we were getting put up against teams of people that have spent money on skins etc and are out skilling/gearing us. I dont think we finished better than third across 10 games.

- doesnt feel like there is much if any aim assist on console and im definitely getting put up against MKB players.

- the fluidity of the movement is great right up until you actually try to be fluid and all the ex-:dice: style poo poo comes out like failing to vault/clamber/use ropes/pick up items correctly. having to be accurate with where your cross hair goes so you can start depositing/stealing cash totally sucks. took me a few games to figure out you could pick up those canisters around the map because they dont give you any kind of visual cue you are within range of picking them up.

- HUD/UI is a bit of a mess. Time near the scoreboard instead of under the loving compass where it looks like your bearings since its the same colour and font. Better indication of ammo (both magazine and reserve)

- some environmental sounds are too loud and the announcers are way too loving loud. I had to turn them down, only to find out that I am missing out on game updates. a visual cue would help here.

- Sound design is meh and while footsteps are loud you cant hear them at all while there is gunfire anywhere nearby. guns being nothing but loud bangs is boring (if realistic) and doesnt help.

- your own teams gas mines hurt you. no other weapons do this.

- I dont give a blue gently caress about level destruction if all your loving buildings are grey empty cubes with stairs at one end of the building. There is ZERO visual cues as to where you are on the map - you can fix this with detailed environments or with a minimap. it would be good to have one or the other here. feels like im playing Halo 5 forge maps that looked like rear end.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

Laserface posted:

Man I really want to like The Finals because I usually only game with 2 other friends regularly but:

- doesnt appear to be any kind of skill based match making at all. playing as 3 very new players we were getting put up against teams of people that have spent money on skins etc and are out skilling/gearing us. I dont think we finished better than third across 10 games.

- doesnt feel like there is much if any aim assist on console and im definitely getting put up against MKB players.

- the fluidity of the movement is great right up until you actually try to be fluid and all the ex-:dice: style poo poo comes out like failing to vault/clamber/use ropes/pick up items correctly. having to be accurate with where your cross hair goes so you can start depositing/stealing cash totally sucks. took me a few games to figure out you could pick up those canisters around the map because they dont give you any kind of visual cue you are within range of picking them up.

- HUD/UI is a bit of a mess. Time near the scoreboard instead of under the loving compass where it looks like your bearings since its the same colour and font. Better indication of ammo (both magazine and reserve)

- some environmental sounds are too loud and the announcers are way too loving loud. I had to turn them down, only to find out that I am missing out on game updates. a visual cue would help here.

- Sound design is meh and while footsteps are loud you cant hear them at all while there is gunfire anywhere nearby. guns being nothing but loud bangs is boring (if realistic) and doesnt help.

- I dont give a blue gently caress about level destruction if all your loving buildings are grey empty cubes with stairs at one end of the building. There is ZERO visual cues as to where you are on the map - you can fix this with detailed environments or with a minimap. it would be good to have one or the other here. feels like im playing Halo 5 forge maps that looked like rear end.

There is a visual indicator for things you can pick up, when they are in range they get highlighted with a virtualized blueish style.

I actually think for all this games failings its HUD system is really clean and great...

Your own teams fire hurts you too. Basically any area of denial effect does friendly fire.

Some maps are worse than others in terms of details but I actually think they are all fine as they are meant to be arenas and not real places. I think this game would be a lot more annoying if the interiors were all knackered with bullshit. The destruction is what adds the complexity to the maps, not their interiors.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Kwolok posted:

Some maps are worse than others in terms of details but I actually think they are all fine as they are meant to be arenas and not real places. I think this game would be a lot more annoying if the interiors were all knackered with bullshit. The destruction is what adds the complexity to the maps, not their interiors.

Vegas is 'more detailed' and it's the shittiest map by far - but that's because of the horrible giant structures and lack of meaningful vertical traversal throughout. The sand-covered version somewhat alleviates the worst problems but only by a little.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

DarkDobe posted:

Vegas is 'more detailed' and it's the shittiest map by far - but that's because of the horrible giant structures and lack of meaningful vertical traversal throughout. The sand-covered version somewhat alleviates the worst problems but only by a little.

100% agreed. But I also do get bogged down by bullshit inside all teh buildings and sometiems stuck between the odd group of furniture or slots. I hate it for a number of reasons.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

Laserface posted:

There definitely is SBMM, but AFAIK it's a bit looser with groups of 3 are typically put against other groups of 3.

You can turn off crossplay on Consoles if you don't wanna play vs. M/KB

All Area Denial stuff does this, and explosives / mines do this if the enemy shoots them.

None of the maps are that big, and they all have landmarks and the objectives are plainly and always visible so I dunno what more you need on that front.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice
I'm consistently scoring better than PC people while I'm on console, though I'm usually playing quick play. I will admit that I play Flamer Heavy though and that trying to play light would probably really suck unless you're going to set up your controls to be more sensitive.

The default controller mapping sucks rear end. Big changes for me were swapping pickup/reload priority and using the modifier controller mapping. It's unbelievable how much better the modifier mapping is in terms of changing gadgets. I unbound the emote button too because I'd accidentally hit it regularly as I'm a spaz.

I have a couple pals that were having a bad time for a bit and when I played with them I noticed them having CoD brain doing things like:

- standing and fighting
- rushing in alone
- not picking up/holding throwables when traversing the map
- not utilizing the environment to exit a fight/reposition
- caring only about killing other dudes instead of teamwork

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Kwolok posted:

I dont want clutter, but just make things visually disttinct. you dont have to go as far as the Vegas map (which I dont mind but it'll get old.)

I dont see anyone countering my arguments about the announcers so I'll just say that they should have an option for critical game info only without the chit chat.

What the gently caress is with EA games/EA alumni putting annoying rear end Announcers in games? I thought this poo poo died with DJ Atomica.