Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Eric Cantonese posted:

I suppose there's a whole argument about how making an effective horror movie while trying to hit the PG-13 sweetspot is incredibly difficult, but I really don't think it's impossible as long as stuff isn't super gory and you manage to avoid using the f-word.

I feel like it would be harder to make an R rated mummy film than a PG one. Old school Dracula can be pretty PG friendly as well, with just two little bits of blood on the neck. Creature from the black lagoon from memory just drags it victims into the lagoon so again not to hard. Wolfman really seems the only one where it would feel not to include gore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

loquacius posted:

I think they all think it's the first one but it's secretly the second one

it's also worth mentioning that the wizards of UU are socially stunted dweebs academics and theoreticians who eat and get catty with each other all day. witches, in contrast (iirc), have more day-to-day contact with the average shnooks who seek them out for aid and advice

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Discworld witches are typical fantasy magic users; Discworld wizards are Terry Pratchett's satire of academia

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

A Buttery Pastry posted:

no evidence they didn't gently caress other non-elf people

it's explicitly stated that they don't, and the three times that they do it's a really big deal and god himself has to get involved

Eric Cantonese posted:

How was that? It looked like it might be okay but then they used that horrible Smashing Pumpkins cover in the trailer and that really undermined my faith that the movie was made by competent people.

I liked it. nothing that'll blow your hair back, but a solid C+

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
i like wes anderson and thought The Wonderful Story of Henry Sugar was delightful.

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china

Laterite posted:

billy bob has a bit part as a henchman in On Deadly Ground and is absolutely the highlight of the movie

ty steven seagal for directing billy bob into stardom.

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

I watched Above The Law last week and it was surprisingly entertaining. Pretty great cast as well, even Seagal was decent in it.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

AnimeIsTrash posted:

how about frodo climbing intotom bombadils rear end and riding him like a gundam into mordor

That reminds me I need to read John Boorman's LOTR script, it sounds amazing

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Knight posted:

It was crap. Empty characters, bad jump scares, insulting script. Everything in the plot is justified by the crew wanting a bonus for arriving at their destination early, so they progressively go from finding a stowaway, having all their livestock slaughtered, crew seeing Dracula, crew being murdered or surviving with bite wounds, etc and going "no, we can't stop at a port, we need that bonus!"

Sounds like my coworkers!

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

dr_rat posted:

I feel like it would be harder to make an R rated mummy film than a PG one. Old school Dracula can be pretty PG friendly as well, with just two little bits of blood on the neck. Creature from the black lagoon from memory just drags it victims into the lagoon so again not to hard. Wolfman really seems the only one where it would feel not to include gore.

the gillman's too horny for a pg rating nowadays

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china
there's still opportunity for a john carpenter creature from the black lagoon

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Not gonna lie. I think Wes Anderson would have actually made a good adaptation of the The Hobbit and should have been given the project.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

galagazombie posted:

Not gonna lie. I think Wes Anderson would have actually made a good adaptation of the The Hobbit and should have been given the project.

It would definitely be interesting, and hell there's no way that it could be worse than the peter jacksons garbage one.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Remembering how Peter Jackson called the NZ film workers' union going on strike "frivolous" and "having a bit of fun."

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

How did Jackson do as well as he did with the trilogy but so poorly with the Hobbit

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

a bunch of hobbits on strike sounds adorable

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

brugroffil posted:

How did Jackson do as well as he did with the trilogy but so poorly with the Hobbit

Like many a director before him, he got so into the technology of filmmaking that he forgot the technique

And he had a very abbreviated pre-production schedule of months instead of the 2+ years he had for LotR

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

There is also no good way to turn a 200 page childrens book into 500 minutes of movie.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Turning 0 pages of book into a ten part billion dollar TV show is very good however

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMy-T5GI7Z0

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

DaysBefore posted:

Turning 0 pages of book into a ten part billion dollar TV show is very good however

It's gonna own. I can't wait to see what stupid poo poo they'll come up with or how long it'll take them to give up and cancel it.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

unions should cease their soft approach and start being militant

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

brugroffil posted:

More material

The Hobbit is generously a one-movie book. I don't think trying to squeeze three movies out of it was necessarily Jackson's idea but it was not a good one. WB got away with turning the seventh Harry Potter book into two movies and got cocky

Contrast to the Bakshi Hobbit, whose sequel squeezed the entirety of LOTR into one movie

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Nonsense posted:

unions should cease their soft approach and start being militant

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
He fell in love with a camera that made all his prop as look like rear end

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

CaptainBeefart posted:

I watched Above The Law last week and it was surprisingly entertaining. Pretty great cast as well, even Seagal was decent in it.

I know it's hard to imagine in 2024, but at one point in time, Seagal wasn't a joke and he made a run of fun movies.

I enjoy Hard to Kill.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Eric Cantonese posted:

I know it's hard to imagine in 2024, but at one point in time, Seagal wasn't a joke and he made a run of fun movies.

I enjoy Hard to Kill.
If you look at the ratings of his movies, him deciding to star in Machete actually prevented a Seagal Renaissance. We would have gotten his best movie yet around 2017, and a perfect 10 next year, if Robert Rodiguez hadn't decided to destroy the man's spirit and turn him into this tragic creature he is today.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

If you look at the ratings of his movies, him deciding to star in Machete actually prevented a Seagal Renaissance. We would have gotten his best movie yet around 2017, and a perfect 10 next year, if Robert Rodiguez hadn't decided to destroy the man's spirit and turn him into this tragic creature he is today.

Huh. I kind of checked out on him after On Deadly Ground.

Did he have a bad time on Machete? I remember that movie being okay, but it's been a while and I find Robert Rodriguez movies overall to be a mixed bag.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Open Source Idiom posted:

No, sometimes we still get stories about pious types trying to redeem sex workers so they get into literal heaven and this is treated as progressive because it's a singing cartoon.

Open Source Idiom posted:

What I'm saying is Hazbin Hotel is dumb trash, though this is probably not a shock.

I said this before here, but it is absolutely wild that it is repeatedly billed as the "raunchy adult cartoon" as if that's an innovating thing, and the past 30 or 40 years of animation history in the USA, Japan, France, Russia, etc didn't exist. It's so loving weird and inexplicable.

Nichael has issued a correction as of 18:25 on Feb 1, 2024

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Eric Cantonese posted:

Huh. I kind of checked out on him after On Deadly Ground.

Did he have a bad time on Machete? I remember that movie being okay, but it's been a while and I find Robert Rodriguez movies overall to be a mixed bag.
I'm just doing statistical malpractice, I don't know that Machete did anything to his mood or career.

Nichael posted:

I said this before here, but it is absolutely wild that it is repeatedly billed as the "raunchy adult cartoon" as if that's an innovating thing, and the past 30 or 40 years of animation history in the USA, Japan, France, Russia, etc didn't exist. It's so loving weird and inexplicable.
First black super hero.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

A Buttery Pastry posted:

First black super hero.
Same vibes, yeah. It's not enough that we have no historical memory for more serious things like in politics, but we also have no memory for immediate pop culture history. It's so weird.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

brugroffil posted:

Way less preproduction time and he was basically forced to make it 3 movies instead of 2 in the middle of it all

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Nichael posted:

It's a loving insufferable tumblr cartoon where like every character is a wacky edgelord who curses and fucks. I've heard Helluva Boss is better but I'm not going to watch it

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I guess also worth noting is that everyone from Jackson to the actors to the effects folks were all worked to the bone for LotR in ways that explicitly forced the need for the big union fight the second time around.

There is no way to recapture that genuine exuberance while saying "no this time for real you'll get rewarded with better conditions and pay, I promise"

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I guess also worth noting is that everyone from Jackson to the actors to the effects folks were all worked to the bone for LotR in ways that explicitly forced the need for the big union fight the second time around.

There is no way to recapture that genuine exuberance while saying "no this time for real you'll get rewarded with better conditions and pay, I promise"
Unions ruined The Hobbit.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Greedy unionized labor is keeping the little man (Bilbo) down

Mordor She Wrote
Nov 17, 2014

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

the only composer you need to know is Goblin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVuLGRfc9gI

the version with lyrics is better

https://youtu.be/IJ2VNMazo-0?si=yCAjZAT4XOyytvF8

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Peter Jackson built his empire on exploitation and the dangling promise that putting in the extra effort for LotR would turn the New Zealand film industry into a sustainable thing for everyone involved but he ultimately helped union bust right before having to film The Hobbit

I don't blame anyone involved for just cashing those checks

hell, there's an interview with John Callen where he talks about most of the dwarves having to get into their prosthetics every day (5-6 hours of application starting at like 4AM) and then not even being called to film because nobody knew what the gently caress they were doing on any given day

so they all just drank and ate crafty most days

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Nichael posted:

would early betty boop count? or not explicit enough?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

ArmedZombie posted:

would early betty boop count? or not explicit enough?

probably yeah, which makes it all the stranger