Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

haha fair enough
"why... yes, I am brilliant, now you mention it stockfish"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God

Leperflesh posted:

What was the time control on that game?

Trapping the queen earns a !, but if it were me I might have gone g6 to attack the queen without even realizing it was trapped, which means the ! isn't necessarily like... earned, if you know what I mean.

Daily lol

e: as in you get a whole 24 hours to make each move.

Bruce Hussein Daddy fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jan 25, 2024

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God
Got a brilliant in a game against a player rated way higher than me and still managed to blunder away +4 :discourse:

Meadowhill
Jan 5, 2015
Pour one out for the boy Gukesh D, that draw was brutal

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

Meadowhill posted:

Pour one out for the boy Gukesh D, that draw was brutal

That’s the next world champ baby

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Bruce Hussein Daddy posted:

Got a brilliant in a game against a player rated way higher than me and still managed to blunder away +4 :discourse:

I feel like I 100% would have played f4 instead of your move

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Okay I'm stupid. What's the continuation after Nxg7.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Arrhythmia posted:

Rg1 looks good, Qg5 only move?

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Arrhythmia posted:

I don't know the answer but I thought Rg1 to pin the knight.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

yeah I get as far as pin the knight but then I don't know what is supposed to happen after ...Kh7 or ...Kh8. I can't find a mate or even an advantageous trade, it seems bad for black but I get stuck

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART
It ends up being a trade of two rooks for a Queen, a knight, and a pawn. And Black’s king is exposed.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Leperflesh posted:

yeah I get as far as pin the knight but then I don't know what is supposed to happen after ...Kh7 or ...Kh8. I can't find a mate or even an advantageous trade, it seems bad for black but I get stuck

If either of those moves, the rook takes the knight and threatens Rxf7, which would win the queen thanks to a discovered check from the bishop.

Black has a couple options to avoid this particular threat but is always losing material.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

yeah OK I couldn't visualize it properly, once I laid the pieces out on a board it made sense

once you pin the knight, stockfish says Qg6, sac the queen for a rook to avoid losing worse. After that exchange, white is +6.5.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jan 30, 2024

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

Everybody has it covered, but here's the best continuation according to the computer
23... Nxg7 24. Rg1 Rfb8 25.Bxg7 Qg5 26. Bxh6 Qxg1+ 27. Kxg1

e Maybe a different depth stockfish who knows.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

after an exhausting game against a significantly higher rated opponent, as white i decided here that even though i am up a pawn, and a passed pawn at that, my overall pawn structure is goofy and this is almost certainly a drawn opposite color bishop endgame and offered a draw

after the game stockfish promptly told me i'm an idiot and white is +3 and totally winning. so what's the move?

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
After a few minutes I have to think that the only square for the bishop is d4. Everything is protected and the pawn is blockaded. Then you can use the king and the h pawn to trade off black's bishop. The final piece of the puzzle is that black has no waiting moves, so the king has to move out as soon as the bishop is gone. The c pawn is weak, and then after that ???? and then somehow you promote I guess.

edit: how to get the bishop to d4 without losing the pawn that I cannot tell you.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

There is also Bd6! to win black's doubled pawn. Although I can't see how that really helps. also you lose your own pawn as soon as you take so that's no fun. welp.

fisting by many fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Jan 30, 2024

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

okay yeah that is pretty tricky, even stockfish doesn't give a clear answer it's just waffling between a few possibilities that all lead to the same vague goal

idea seems to be you keep your bishop along that diagonal in a position where it can both guard the c5 pawn and slide into d4 after a check if the c3 pawn is ever taken; as you slowly walk your king up to the h pawn, in such a way that you don't drop the e pawn for nothing :psyduck:

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum
From what I can see, you want to keep the c5 pawn because it stops black from moving his pawns forward (and critically if a black pawn lands on c5 then you can't put your bishop on d4), however you can lose either your c3 or e3 pawn with no consequence (but not both) because either of the c3-Bd4-c5 or e3-Bd4-c5 chains completely stop black's advance. So you can for instance just start moving your king towards your passed pawn, if the black king ever takes one of your backward pawns then you have a tempo to get the bishop to d4 and hold the chain. Eventually black will have to give the bishop for your passed pawn.

edit: I realized that if you ever get your king to e5 or f6 without black ever taking your pawns then you don't have the bishop tempo, but at that point you can swing the king behind the black pawns to gobble them up and win that way.

Promethium fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Jan 30, 2024

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

It looks like the c3 pawn just isn't very valuable, and white's king getting active is very valuable, so white can just abandon the former in the name of the latter.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
yeah, it takes stockfish till ~depth 30 before it sees the win so i don't feel particularly bad about calling it quits, but it's got to be one of the most interesting endgames i've ever had on the board

folks are on the general right track, white's king is actually free to leave the defense of c3 because bf6+ let's white defend the entire situation on the queenside while white's king scuttles around the board and with precise play getting a pawn to promotion

Promethium posted:

edit: I realized that if you ever get your king to e5 or f6 without black ever taking your pawns then you don't have the bishop tempo, but at that point you can swing the king behind the black pawns to gobble them up and win that way.

i saw the issue with the white king blocking the diagonal as it goes through e5 or f6 and stockfish suggested one of the most disgusting moves i have ever seen to prep for kf6, it's fisting by many's bd6!!, not as a threat to the doubled pawn, but as a way to defend c5 while allowing be5+ if black goes after c3. it blows my mind you can just leave the bishop sitting in front of blacks pawn and it still holds the entire position together

again, by far the most interesting position i've ever had on the board, even if i didn't fully appreciate it during the game. maybe if it was a daily

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

yeah, it takes stockfish till ~depth 30 before it sees the win so i don't feel particularly bad about calling it quits, but it's got to be one of the most interesting endgames i've ever had on the board

folks are on the general right track, white's king is actually free to leave the defense of c3 because bf6+ let's white defend the entire situation on the queenside while white's king scuttles around the board and with precise play getting a pawn to promotion

i saw the issue with the white king blocking the diagonal as it goes through e5 or f6 and stockfish suggested one of the most disgusting moves i have ever seen to prep for kf6, it's fisting by many's bd6!!, not as a threat to the doubled pawn, but as a way to defend c5 while allowing be5+ if black goes after c3. it blows my mind you can just leave the bishop sitting in front of blacks pawn and it still holds the entire position together

again, by far the most interesting position i've ever had on the board, even if i didn't fully appreciate it during the game. maybe if it was a daily

yeah the white bishop is safe there because after cxd6 cxd6 white would have two passed pawns and the black bishop can only stop one. A few endgame puzzles are like that.

fisting by many fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Jan 30, 2024

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah I think even if stockfish needs 30 moves to win against stockfish, against a human opponent bd6! is good because after takes takes, you advance one of the passed pawns and your opponent probably doesn't see any way to stop both of them and has no checks. Like I haven't built it to test like you guys have but I think a human has a hard time finding whatever line black is supposed to use to defend this.

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

This is worth at least 5 OTB ELO, maybe more:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbUaXVxtFHs

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
How to behave like a Chess Grandma

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

when that guy says “Hickie” does he mean hikaru because it was quite a funny impression of him if so

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

also once when i was watching a game in a park i did a literal spit take just to gently caress with a buddy

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

jesus WEP posted:

when that guy says “Hickie” does he mean hikaru because it was quite a funny impression of him if so

Yeah, it's def. a reference to Hikaru and :discourse:.

Nepo has to be the most seasoned practitioner of this technique. The dude looks at every move like someone took a steaming dump on the board. Pictured here presumably reacting to h3.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

probably an easy one to solve as an analysis but i was pleased with finding the one move that saves my knight from this blitz game

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

jesus WEP posted:

probably an easy one to solve as an analysis but i was pleased with finding the one move that saves my knight from this blitz game

i mean it looks to me like the answer is just "short castle" which in the actual game I would probably have done anyway after giving up on the knight and then been pleasantly surprised when i realized that it had saved it. this is assuming you still have short castle rights though, otherwise I guess you just move the rook but that's kinda ugly imo

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut

cock hero flux posted:

i mean it looks to me like the answer is just "short castle" which in the actual game I would probably have done anyway after giving up on the knight and then been pleasantly surprised when i realized that it had saved it. this is assuming you still have short castle rights though, otherwise I guess you just move the rook but that's kinda ugly imo

Same

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

cock hero flux posted:

i was initially gonna just move the rook but O-O has the dual purpose of pinning their f-pawn and unpinning my knight in one move - only achieving both things in the same move saves the knight i believe

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

What about Bb4, then if the pawn still takes your knight, O-O or Rf8 forces either the king to undefend his rook so you can take it, or to block with Bf4 which you then take and force the king move?

e, oh wait that doesn't work, there's Ke2 pfeh

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Leperflesh posted:

What about Bb4, then if the pawn still takes your knight, O-O or Rf8 forces either the king to undefend his rook so you can take it, or to block with Bf4 which you then take and force the king move?

e, oh wait that doesn't work, there's Ke2 pfeh

white just takes the knight with the rook and checks you if you move the bishop.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

you might be able to do something funny where you long castle, sacrifice the knight, cut the king's retreat with the bishop and then force him out into a terrible position with checks and/or put him in the back rank zone and then win his rook but the computer is definitely going to be able to defend against that and a human might be able to as well

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

cock hero flux posted:

you might be able to do something funny where you long castle, sacrifice the knight, cut the king's retreat with the bishop and then force him out into a terrible position with checks and/or put him in the back rank zone and then win his rook but the computer is definitely going to be able to defend against that and a human might be able to as well

That sounds like more fun than playing well.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

cock hero flux posted:

white just takes the knight with the rook and checks you if you move the bishop.

lol oh yeah

I am not good at chess

multistability
Feb 15, 2014
Update on training chess tactics only and completely neglecting opening theory: this seems to be a decent strategy because I've been on a winning streak recently where in loads of the games I've had a completely losing position out of the opening but I've managed to claw it back in the middle game due to spotting and setting up various tactics my opponent has failed to foresee. Still terrible at endgames though, but I usually end up checkmating the opponent before the game devolves into that sort of nonsense. So yeah, if you're looking for a relatively effective and fun way to pump up your Elo then give obsessively drilling tactics a shot. Lichess puzzles while resting between sets in the gym has been a good one for me recently

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

:letsgo::letsgo::letsgo::letsgo::letsgo::letsgo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

quote:

Blunder-Years Good game
rugge33 rsggsdfhfjgu

Warf... thank u.