Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Mr. Lobe posted:

I've had players claim alignments but they rarely live up to them all that consistently and I don't bother with it much as a DM

Whole lot of "(L/N/C) good" characters end up being real callous and bloodthirsty with not a lot to counterbalance that

I told my party's wizard I'd change his alignment to evil if he went ahead and bartered a human sacrifice in exchange for a magic item quid pro quo with a smithy god, then sheepishly admitted it meant literally nothing when he asked what that would entail (they didn't go through with it anyway)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

If I'm DMing the only place I use alignments is just kinda arbitrarily assigning them to npcs without thinking about it too much, to give me some guidance on them if we're stepping outside of the motivations I've already written down for them. As a pc facing thing its totally vestigial in 5e, but if I see Baron (LE) in my notes I'm like oh I know who this guy is.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I embrace the view that Good/Evil paints the clearest picture when it's described as Altruistic/Selfish. If you're sincerely concerned for the health and welfare of strangers, if you're willing to take risks or make sacrifices to help them, that's generally "Good"-aligned. If you only care about the welfare of yourself, your friends, and your family, and the rest are irrelevant, if you don't care about hurting and taking from others if it benefits you, then that's generally "Evil"-aligned.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

homeless snail posted:

If I'm DMing the only place I use alignments is just kinda arbitrarily assigning them to npcs without thinking about it too much, to give me some guidance on them if we're stepping outside of the motivations I've already written down for them. As a pc facing thing its totally vestigial in 5e, but if I see Baron (LE) in my notes I'm like oh I know who this guy is.

This thread has a good list of the few areas that alignment has hard mechanical influence https://forum.rpg.net/index.php?threads/5e-the-few-mechanical-implications-of-alignment.750542/

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Yeah but most of these are just "this does/doesn't change your alignment" which is kinda meaningless outside of a light roleplaying prompt. Mostly only really comes into play when you're dealing with outer planar stuff, and that's when you can stop and ask "uh so you're evil right?"

pseudosavior
Apr 14, 2006

Don't you do cocaine at ME,
you son of a bitch!

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I embrace the view that Good/Evil paints the clearest picture when it's described as Altruistic/Selfish. If you're sincerely concerned for the health and welfare of strangers, if you're willing to take risks or make sacrifices to help them, that's generally "Good"-aligned. If you only care about the welfare of yourself, your friends, and your family, and the rest are irrelevant, if you don't care about hurting and taking from others if it benefits you, then that's generally "Evil"-aligned.

I use this exact framework, and I had a cleric who really enjoyed having, as they put it: "a built-in rear end in a top hat alarm" in Detect Evil and Good.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

pseudosavior posted:

I use this exact framework, and I had a cleric who really enjoyed having, as they put it: "a built-in rear end in a top hat alarm" in Detect Evil and Good.

That spell doesn't tell you people's alignment anymore , here's how it's written in 5e

Detect Evil And Good posted:

Level 1 divination
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: Self
Target: Self
Components: V S
Duration: Up to 10 minutes
Classes: Cleric, Paladin

For the duration, you know if there is an aberration, celestial, elemental, fey, fiend, or undead within 30 feet of you, as well as where the creature is located. Similarly, you know if there is a place or object within 30 feet of you that has been magically consecrated or desecrated.
The spell can penetrate most barriers, but it is blocked by 1 foot of stone, 1 inch of common metal, a thin sheet of lead, or 3 feet of wood or dirt.

two fish
Jun 14, 2023

quote:

The spell can penetrate most barriers, but it is blocked by 1 foot of stone, 1 inch of common metal, a thin sheet of lead, or 3 feet of wood or dirt.

I didn't know Detect Evil And Good worked off of beta radiation.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

two fish posted:

I didn't know Detect Evil And Good worked off of beta radiation.

Well sure, Good emits positrons and Evil emits electrons, basic arcanophysics

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
Why do you think holy spells do radiant damage?

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
30 feet and no physical barriers? Couldn't you, like, see them at that point?

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Azran posted:

I think it's more for identifying guys who can shapeshift or turn invisible or whatever. You know, a way to piss off the DM by allowing you to figure out Fizban the comic relief wizard is actually Paladine the Dragon God way too early.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Azran posted:

You could also use it in the dark.

"Don't go that way. Skeletons in the dark, you know."

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

move it or lose it dillweed

Mr. Lobe posted:

I've had players claim alignments but they rarely live up to them all that consistently and I don't bother with it much as a DM

Whole lot of "(L/N/C) good" characters end up being real callous and bloodthirsty with not a lot to counterbalance that

I had a fun moment bringing alignments to light as a player this weekend.

I'm playing a LE character in a party that is all good-aligned and one neutral. My character is literally Red Beaulieu - the evil football coach from the beloved Adam-Sandler-silly-voice-vehicle The Waterboy. I don't know how relevant that is to this story, but it's fun and now you know it. I started as a fighter in the first campaign, but am now 6 Fighter/3 Warlock to get the fun and cheap Darkness/Devil Sight combo. To get the Warlock dip, coach Red is in the service of Ba'el, Golden General of the Nine Hells.

The mostly good party has been letting me get away with a TON of shady poo poo throughout, and have also been pretty callous and bloodthirsty themselves. I finally made them regret that toward the end of Storm King's Thunder. Spoilers for those who don't want to be spoiled on it:

The main quest of the campaign is to find Hekaton, the Storm Giant king who has gone missing. You find him prone and tied up on the lower deck of a ship at sea eventually, and there's a big bad wizard who is the boss of the ship. The fight ended up with most of the party rushing toward the bow of the ship fighting the wizard, after we had cut through a few guys at the stern and set it on fire (you have an item to teleport you off the ship). I'm on my way to catch up while the underboss of the ship is annoyingly disengaging and running from me the entire time. The pursuit takes me through the lower deck and past tied-up Hekaton. I was going to cut him loose, when inspiration struck. After he foolishly refused my offer to contract himself to Ba'el in exchange for freedom, Coach plunged his sword through Hekaton's heart and sacrificed the big boy's soul.

The rest of the party starts freaking out to undo this, but I remind them I'm a good 100 feet away from them, below deck, shrouded in magical darkness. They are not pleased to learn of the outcome when the fighting is done. I told them they really should have reigned me in earlier :shrug:

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Is this the place to discuss Beyond and its services and offerings, or is there a better thread for that? If here, I guess I have three items:

1) I like the character sheet creator and manager. Seems good, is the best experience with such a thing I’ve had to date, going back to 2nd Ed/ad&d. Roll20 always seemed too finicky.

2) Plan to try running a game through Beyond. Because we’re just giving it a shot, I’d like to grab something from the store that will have as much of everything needed ready to go as is reasonably possible. Heavier on the dungeon crawl side of things, like a bunch of episodic crawls with some light over-plot would be ace. Any recommendations?

3) Even acknowledging that Maps is alpha, it seems paaaiiinfully featureless at this point. Is that an accurate assessment? I’m looking to do the entire thing through Beyond if possible, which means Maps as well, if it’s even plausible. The encounter manager seems okay, but Maps seems to be 95% future roadmap plans.

4) (Bonus item): I’m currently in a game where we’re doing all characters and rolling through Beyond, and just the map and initiative tracking through Roll20. Which seems okayyyyy, although even then Roll20 rears its finicky head: dumb stuff like the GM adding a monster token to the map makes the map background disappear and all we can see is the line of sight mask. I want to simplify and avoid that sort of thing. But geez, Maps…

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Jan 30, 2024

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Bad Munki posted:

Is this the place to discuss Beyond and its services and offerings, or is there a better thread for that? If here, I guess I have three items:

1) I like the character sheet creator and manager. Seems good, is the best experience with such a thing I’ve had to date, going back to 2nd Ed/ad&d. Roll20 always seemed too finicky.

2) Plan to try running a game through Beyond. Because we’re just giving it a shot, I’d like to grab something from the store that will have as much of everything needed ready to go as is reasonably possible. Heavier on the dungeon crawl side of things, like a bunch of episodic crawls with some light over-plot would be ace. Any recommendations?

3) Even acknowledging that Maps is alpha, it seems paaaiiinfully featureless at this point. Is that an accurate assessment? I’m looking to do the entire thing through Beyond if possible, which means Maps as well, if it’s even plausible. The encounter manager seems okay, but Maps seems to be 95% future roadmap plans.

4) (Bonus item): I’m currently in a game where we’re doing all characters and rolling through Beyond, and just the map and initiative tracking through Roll20. Which seems okayyyyy, although even then Roll20 rears its finicky head: dumb stuff like the GM adding a monster token to the map makes the map background disappear and all we can see is the line of sight mask. I want to simplify and avoid that sort of thing. But geez, Maps…

2) The simple starter module is Lost Mines of Phandelver. At one point D&D Beyond was offering it to all users for free, though I'm not sure if that was just a time-limited offer.

4) There's a browser plugin called "Beyond 20" which integrates the rolls made in D&D Beyond with other VTT's like Roll 20.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

But that still means getting all the maps and such into Roll20 and dealing with its approach to tokens and whatnot, yeah?

Although for the other game I’m in, I might grab that anyhow, since that’s just what we’re doing, Beyond+Roll20. Seems handy.

e: Oh, looks like it does a fair bit more than just roll integration. Neat.

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Jan 30, 2024

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

The character sheets on Beyond are great but that's about it, I wouldn't bother using any of the other tools on there or worrying about actually getting your modules through them. Maps is currently the worst VTT you can use and barely even benefits from being associated with DDB at the moment, the encounter builder is functional but clunky, the compendium stuff isn't terribly helpful for actually running the game, like I don't think they even have rollable tables in any of the books yet. This stuff is going to change eventually, Maps will get better and sooner or later their 3D VTT will come out, but DDB is still very much built around the mindset of being the thing you have in front of you while playing the game IRL and for that its great.

For VTTs you're better off using Foundry or Roll20 with either the Foundry DDB plugins or Beyond20, or Owlbear Rodeo and alt tabbing to DDB to make rolls (my preferred route).

homeless snail fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Jan 30, 2024

MuscaDomestica
Apr 27, 2017

PeterWeller posted:

Yeah, alignment is easy to spin. For example, Enver Gortash is clearly neutral evil because he's just out for himself, Ketheric Thorn is chaotic evil because he'll happily switch patron deities at the drop of a hat, and Orin the Red is lawful evil because she really cares about following rituals and rites. And they are, of course, the chosen of lawful evil Bane, neutral evil Myrkul, and chaotic evil Bhaal respectively.

E: or Enver is CE because he wants to plunge Baldur's Gate into anarchy so he can take over, Ketheric is LE because he wants to maintain the status quo in the Shadow Cursed Lands, and Orin is NE because she really doesn't care about anything but her own personal satisfaction.

Do like how all the devils in Baldur's Gate 3 act, different versions of Lawful Evil, and Raphael is angrier that you caused chaos then anything else.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

The one negative I've found with Beyond's character creation system is that you have to have purchased additional content, like Tasha's, Xanathar's, etc., in order to have those options available to you in character creation. Otherwise, you're limited to PHB options unless you're in a campaign and your DM has shared that material with you.

For example, I'm fairly new to DnD and hadn't invested any money into content purchases when creating my first character: a Monk for an IRL campaign. As such, the only Monastic Tradition available to me on Beyond was Way of the Open Hand, so going Way of the Long Death required me to manually enter all those skills and abilities as customized actions. Conversely, I'm now doing a campaign with a DM who's purchased everything, and it allowed me to pick Hexblade for my Warlock from a drop-down menu, which then automatically added all the abilities and skills that come with that.

Not a huge complaint, really, since it's fairly easy to add custom abilities to characters via Beyond, but it's a bit more of a time sink if you don't have that stuff available from the offset.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

In this case, the extra content being unavailable without sinking cash is fine: the players in this group are not super experienced in general and not at all experienced with 5e, so we’re sticking to the most core content anyhow and just doing PHB-based characters.

I guess I’ll look into VTT options again and see what’s most workable for me. Thoughts on Roll20 vs Foundry vs etc with a target of the shortest learning curve for newbies?

two fish
Jun 14, 2023

My favorite D&D video game remains Neverwinter Nights, and I still play it. There are plenty of active servers, despite it being two decades old.

Any of you play Arelith?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

two fish posted:

My favorite D&D video game remains Neverwinter Nights, and I still play it. There are plenty of active servers, despite it being two decades old.

Any of you play Arelith?

No but I have fond memories of the permadeath Necrosis server. It's influenced me and some of my homebrew for a long while. I like the idea of a "zombie movie but D&D" sort of setting. Like what if Attack on Titan but its zombies?

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

NWN was great, I have fond memories of being on the Gamespy Forums in the mid 2000s and being introduced to a weird proto MMO mod by a guy who ran a group of us through it at what seemed like an insane speed - I remember it didn't click until he said it was all about levelling up as quick as possible to get to the endgame stuff.

It was also the first time spells with saving throws clicked to me - I'd always looked at Grease as being 'x% chance they might fall over, doesn't even do damage, no thanks' but then he explained that (in NWN at least) it can create a chokepoint where they have to check to see if they fall over every few seconds, and then take a few seconds to get back up, in which time you've already shot at them a bunch of times. Love that spell in CRPGs now.

One Legged Ninja
Sep 19, 2007
Feared by shoe salesmen. Defeated by chest-high walls.
Fun Shoe

Bad Munki posted:

I guess I’ll look into VTT options again and see what’s most workable for me. Thoughts on Roll20 vs Foundry vs etc with a target of the shortest learning curve for newbies?

Disclaimer: I've played on Roll 20, and DMed on Foundry. I tried DMing on the free tier of Roll20 and the experience was less than impressive, which combined with the subscription based platform pushed me to buy Foundry to run my game. I have had enough subscriptions that I ended up not utilizing for whatever reason but didn't want to cancel and lose what effort I'd put in, that the up front cost of Foundry was worth it.

To answer your question, I think any of the options today will be approachable enough to get newbs up and playing within the first session. The more advanced features aren't absolutely necessary to play, they generally just make automation easier. Either of those platforms are just websites to the end user, so there's very few hoops they have to jump through.

I'm partial to the multitude of add-on modules in Foundry for setting up my game, as well as total control over files, folders, and configuration I have by running my own server, though you can pay for fully integrated hosting if you want. These add-ons have the side effect of me wanting to spend more time thinking of cool ways to use them, instead of actually prepping my campaign, however, so approach with caution.

I'll always have a place in my heart, however, for MapTool. It is the opposite of what you want, but before I made real adult money I "used" MapTool, by which I mean I spent all my free time learning scripting to make my own macros from scratch, and very little time playing with it because I had to troubleshoot every player's machine to get it to run properly. In my heart I know it has potential to be great, and I'm also sure it's better than the last time I used it, but it suffers from the same problems that all open source projects have.

Edit: corrected spelling

One Legged Ninja fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jan 30, 2024

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

For what it’s worth, I’m not bothered by spending a few bucks, and for most of these tools, it’s likely I already have them, I just never get to use them. My GM/mapping tool collection is only rivaled by my unpainted Bones, and they both tell the same sad story.

To wit: I already have Foundry.

Gonna start there, I think. I recall I bought it specifically because Roll20 came across as such an absolute curmudgeon last time I was looking at this as a GM and every time I’ve touched it as a player.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

One of the biggest problems with Foundry especially if you're using it with Beyond is Foundry plugin culture of not paid plugins but plugins on a subscription basis. There's a lot of good rear end plugins for it but you could easily drop $20-30/mo subscribing to four different paterons to run some of them. The better options for DDB syncing stuff falls in that bucket. Beyond20 is free if you like that though.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010
Poked around my Muscle Wizard idea from a couple of years ago again. Still far from a playable state, but I figure someone with more experience might like the idea want to run with it on their own:

Still running with them being a constitution caster. To balance that out, their spells (except touch range spells) have half the range and they lose concentration if they move (not if they cast or attack and not if they teleport or are teleported. Only if they walk, run, jump, are knocked down, or knocked into a different space).

They use the wizard spell list. Spells are broken up into "warm-ups." They get three warm-ups per long rest and the spells that are covered by those warm-ups are the ones that are prepped. They have the flexibility of being able to use all of their warm-ups immediately after a long rest or to wait for later short rests to do them. Warm-ups don't carry over between long rests.

Can trade half their HP recovery during short rests to replenish 2 fifth level or lower spell slots. Can trade all of it to replenish one of each slot.

Unlike Monks, they don't get a better die for their unarmed attack. They aren't meant to be melee combatants, they're meant to still be casters, just casters who can stand on the front lines. But they do eventually get a class feature that lets them add their intelligence modifier to unarmed attack damage.

Class feature that prevents them from taking damage from their own AoE attacks.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Sorry to be the barer of bad news Hasbro Seeks to Sell IP “DND” and Has Had Preliminary Contact with Tencent.

They'll want the IP of the brand to make more cheaper versions of BG3, and the tabletop side of it wouldn't live past the new edition I would think.

This could all be fake news, but seriously, who wouldn't think Hasbro would do it? And Tencent I'm sure has the cash. Though maybe Apple or Amazon would be interested for the IP to make the next wannabe Marvel Movie attempt.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
I plugged the original Chinese article it references into Google Translate and the source for this is an unnamed person who told Snow Leopard Investments this move was likely.

WotC's overall goal right now is to stop doing what they do and make money from IP, so I don't think they'd sell the brand.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Someone contact Jeffrey, see if he can buy the IP

6th Edition can come bundled with a dungeon crawl adventure through Groverhaus

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Empty Sandwich posted:

I plugged the original Chinese article it references into Google Translate and the source for this is an unnamed person who told Snow Leopard Investments this move was likely.

WotC's overall goal right now is to stop doing what they do and make money from IP, so I don't think they'd sell the brand.

Eh, a sale makes a certain amount of sense. It's a high profile brand that they don't really know how to make profit from (as they've demonstrated recently) and they just fired most of the people who made it function so they could harvest short-term profitability gains. They don't really know how to make money with it except by accident (see: Bg3, D&D movie) but someone else might.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

It's frustrating to see people destroy sustainable long-term cash cows like D&D so they can make more money now. It's like that thought experiment where you offer kids below a certain age 1 cookie now or 5 cookies at the end of the week, and they will always choose the cookie now.

Except it's not like that, because there's a worldwide cookie exchange that enables them to horde and acquire multiple single cookies every second.

I'm hungry now.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Comstar posted:

Sorry to be the barer of bad news Hasbro Seeks to Sell IP “DND” and Has Had Preliminary Contact with Tencent.

They'll want the IP of the brand to make more cheaper versions of BG3, and the tabletop side of it wouldn't live past the new edition I would think.

This could all be fake news, but seriously, who wouldn't think Hasbro would do it? And Tencent I'm sure has the cash. Though maybe Apple or Amazon would be interested for the IP to make the next wannabe Marvel Movie attempt.

Hasbro wouldn't sell off its one-of-two profitable businesses. They're probably looking to buy video game adaptation rights

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

change my name posted:

Hasbro wouldn't sell off its one-of-two profitable businesses. They're probably looking to buy video game adaptation rights

While that honestly my bet too, they did just turf a ton of people who were making the products that were so profitable.

Base Emitter
Apr 1, 2012

?
They're talking about video game adaptation rights, they're not selling the whole IP.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Could be they're seeking help with predatory monetisation for the new VTT.

Rubberduke
Nov 24, 2015
Being mad at Chinese things often smells like a racist dog whistle to me, even if Tencent is an obviously poo poo company. So this article might just be an attempt at generating clicks through nerd rage.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Could be they're seeking help with predatory monetisation for the new VTT.

Speaking of, it was a bit of a shock to see yesterday that WotC officially partnered with Foundry:

https://foundryvtt.com/article/dungeons-dragons-arrives/

Before, Foundry supported D&D 5e (and prior editions) through SRD-only but then lots of "unofficial" stuff that would help augment that to make it .... semi-playable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Tencent has stakes in a lot of companies including Riot, Epic Games, Paradox, Kadokawa, and many others. I think it isn't obvious to me what the quality of whatever they put out would be.