Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
My local code goes off of the 2018 IRC. Is there a good place to find a condensed version, specifically for wood framing? Like, that just lays out the basics of stud and rafter spacing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
Tiling question: I'm helping a nonprofit prepare a new space, and they've asked for help with finishing the tiling. A local contractor volunteered his time to lay the tile initially, but he wasn't a tile guy and goofed up a lot of stuff. The biggest issue is that he got thinset everywhere and never cleaned it up, so there's thinset on the faces of most tiles, and filling all of the grout lines. It's been weeks for some of the tile, so the thinset is fully hardened

We've been scraping it away with steel scrapers and carbide triangle scrapers (for the lines), but I'm not sure how to fully clean the faces of the tile (which aren't flat, they're sorta textured). Once we've scraped as way as much as we can, should we just use scrotchbrite pads to scour away the remainder? Is there a less manually intensive way to do this?

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Sulfamic acid with water is what my brother used to use when he did tile. Mapei probably has a product for it, just follow directions. Older thinset comes off with soaking with water and scraping, fairly easily, from when I redid my bathroom.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Glad I went in person, apparently half inch (brass) is a very different size from half inch (compression). I knew the straight thread was different from tapered but didnt realize that even for straight threads there were different types.

Apparently needing a half inch pipe to compression 3/8ths supply is... not somwthing I should actually need to do and nothing they had was quite right, so the solution is a bit hacky, but it seems solved at least.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Feb 1, 2024

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

skylined! posted:

Sulfamic acid with water is what my brother used to use when he did tile. Mapei probably has a product for it, just follow directions. Older thinset comes off with soaking with water and scraping, fairly easily, from when I redid my bathroom.

thanks. a video i watched suggested grout cleaner (mostly sulfuric acid?) and i was hoping to avoid it due to the size of the room, but perhaps not. we'll still try water first though.

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

VelociBacon posted:

I just want great tasting water and while I know that 99% of the stuff that causes scaling doesn't get filtered out by brita filters, anything that helps with that would be good for the sake of my coffee machines and kettles. The water here is so soft it doesn't really matter that much but still. If water via my kitchen sink could taste like the water that comes from my brita I'd be very pleased.

This really isn't a reasonable idea at all. You don't want to filter all of the water you are using from a faucet unless there is a problem with your water. And then in that case you use a specific type of filter designed to remove the specific impurity/ies that causes a problem for your given use.

I get having a preference for the taste of filtered water, but that is a solved problem. Use your Brita pitcher, get a larger Brita tank setup, install a carbon filter system with a dedicated faucet, get a fridge with a filtered water dispenser, etc. but you don't need to filter all the water in a multi use sink when you already have good water.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
I would love a second tap for filtered water at my kitchen sink but I'm terrified of drilling a hole for it in the quartz countertop

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I just put a quartz sink in and there’s a couple spots on the underside that have the holes already slightly drilled. Just go slow and steady.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
I did it myself through 3 inches of granite and it wasn't bad, just set up a pool of water around the drill point w plumbers putty and that takes care of cooling it.

Unless your worry is shattering the quartz

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Benagain posted:

Unless your worry is shattering the quartz

Mostly this. Is this even a concern with a quartz countertop?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

My Chamberlain automatic garage door opener has standard medium base bulbs for the opener light. It came with a couple of very anemic CFLs.

I know that some LEDs interfere with garage signals and I did try one some years ago and it didn't really work well because of that.

Can anyone recommend a specific brand or model (presumably LED) that can throw off maximum light in a garage door opener that doesn't interfere with reception?

I'd love the light equivalent of 100 watt so incandescent, if possible.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

slidebite posted:

My Chamberlain automatic garage door opener has standard medium base bulbs for the opener light. It came with a couple of very anemic CFLs.

I know that some LEDs interfere with garage signals and I did try one some years ago and it didn't really work well because of that.

Can anyone recommend a specific brand or model (presumably LED) that can throw off maximum light in a garage door opener that doesn't interfere with reception?

I'd love the light equivalent of 100 watt so incandescent, if possible.

I've had these in my openers for 2 years or so according to the order date: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B085G6NVH8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

Haven't had a problem.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

slidebite posted:

Holy poo poo I'd never heard about this. Our opener has been very temperamental in receiving signal from our car and the remote, but works perfectly from the corded button. I definitely put an LED bulb in there a while back.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

On the topic of LED bulbs. These Feit bulbs from Costco seem to suck poo poo for longevity. Any recommendations?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

c355n4 posted:

On the topic of LED bulbs. These Feit bulbs from Costco seem to suck poo poo for longevity. Any recommendations?

These are my "standard"/utility bulbs and have been for a couple of years now. I hjaven't lost a single one yet: https://www.1000bulbs.com/fil/products/221695

Compared to the pack of Feits I got from LowesDepot and started losing one every month or so after the first 6 months.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

c355n4 posted:

I agree that Feit sucks poo poo. I bought two from the hardware store and one broke a day later

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Motronic posted:

These are my "standard"/utility bulbs and have been for a couple of years now. I hjaven't lost a single one yet: https://www.1000bulbs.com/fil/products/221695

Compared to the pack of Feits I got from LowesDepot and started losing one every month or so after the first 6 months.

Awesome, thanks.

Beef Eater
Aug 27, 2020
I need the cheapest possible way to stabilize my unpaved driveway (about 150 feet long). It's been several years since I last put gravel over it and it's getting pretty muddy this spring. I was thinking of just buying one or two tons of gravel in my truck and shoveling it onto two tracks for the wheels. But I'm open to anything that would make the driveway driveable.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Motronic posted:

I've had these in my openers for 2 years or so according to the order date: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B085G6NVH8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

Haven't had a problem.

Awesome thanks boss

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

"Love us with money or we'll hate you with hammers!"
Anyone have recommendations for leak detectors to put under sinks, behind the fridge and dishwasher, etc? I'm not usually a fan of wifi connected poo poo, but this does seem like an application where it would be useful if there are good options out there.

Just had to replace my fridge's supply line, only found out the old one was slowly leaking when the floor started discoloring on the other side of the wall behind it.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

I had these cheap little guys that were compressed sponges in a hosing the size of a shotglass. When the sponge got wet, it would expand, push a contact closed, and the thing would chirp loudly.

Only problem I had when one went off? I'd never heard it before, so I spent a couple days wondering where the gently caress the noise was coming from.

Closest I've found are these (sorry for the Az link):

https://www.amazon.com/stores/FloodBuzzWaterLeakAlarms/page/3B20BDA4-86C6-4C16-8512-33E9460FFB38?ref_=ast_bln

Getting more of these. My sump pump failed last Sunday & it a bit of a mess to deal with. A little early warning would've helped.

I've been tempted to invest in a wifi set-up but am paranoid.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Final Blog Entry posted:

Anyone have recommendations for leak detectors to put under sinks, behind the fridge and dishwasher, etc? I'm not usually a fan of wifi connected poo poo, but this does seem like an application where it would be useful if there are good options out there.

Just had to replace my fridge's supply line, only found out the old one was slowly leaking when the floor started discoloring on the other side of the wall behind it.

I like govee - easy to set up, hasn't popped up any advertisement notifications on my phone, not that expensive

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

Thank you both! Look like good options just need to decide if I want to go the basic or IoT route.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Johnny Truant posted:

I like govee - easy to set up, hasn't popped up any advertisement notifications on my phone, not that expensive

The Govee iOS app periodically logs you out and forces you to re-authenticate but doesn't warn you that it's doing this or has done this so it just silently disables notifications

Like what the gently caress

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I might get the Govee ones because I want remote notifications.

Currently we use the dumb ones like those... Two metal connectors on bottom that chirp when water completes the circuit. Just like Painter of Crap... The first time it went off was the middle of the night and my wife and I were panicking thinking it was the CO2 alarm.

But hey it worked!

I also like how Govee has drip detectors on top and larger pool detection on bottom.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

It does email notifications as a backup so I think the remote notification stuff is still fine without the app, just remember to check it before you go on vacation or something.

Still seems insane to me to program the app to do this, and if the forced logouts are some statutory requirement then it could at least warn you it's about to do one

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

Govee has their leak detector 2 with the gateway and 6 sensors on sale for $69.99 so I think I'll give that a go.

https://us.govee.com/products/goveelife-water-leak-detector

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Another issue to watch out for is that the Govee gateway can lose its connection to the wifi router and will just endlessly blink instead of resetting and attempting to reconnect, which you can do by unplugging it and plugging it back in or by holding down the button on the side. The app will not alert you that the gateway has lost its connection, but it will show you that it has no connection to the sensors.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Hopefully simple question:

I've got a loving annoying gap between a tub and vanity where the idiot PO, who loved bad DIY, redid the bathroom and clearly put in a bigger tub than was there originally and swapped in a narrower vanity to compensate. OK, fine, but the tile around the edge of the tub doesn't go out far enough, which means anything that gets loose while you shower is headed straight for unprotected dry wall. Which, yes, is already having water damage (confirmed to be from splashing, not a leak).

This is a low visibility area, and I'm not looking to actually waterproof anything. I just need a surface that's a little less prone to water damage than naked dry wall. Think incidental drops of water drying up rather than soaking in.

My current plan is to get some cheap tiles and lay them down over the affected area. I might just buy some kitchen backsplash and call it good.

I have never tiled before. Would I be fine throwing some thinset over the drywall, putting up the tiles, and then grouting over it, or is there some other prep I need to do? Everything I'm seeing looking for info is giving advice on actual no bullshit tile jobs, and I'd feel silly putting up a backer board for something like this.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Cyrano4747 posted:

Hopefully simple question:

I've got a loving annoying gap between a tub and vanity where the idiot PO, who loved bad DIY, redid the bathroom and clearly put in a bigger tub than was there originally and swapped in a narrower vanity to compensate. OK, fine, but the tile around the edge of the tub doesn't go out far enough, which means anything that gets loose while you shower is headed straight for unprotected dry wall. Which, yes, is already having water damage (confirmed to be from splashing, not a leak).

This is a low visibility area, and I'm not looking to actually waterproof anything. I just need a surface that's a little less prone to water damage than naked dry wall. Think incidental drops of water drying up rather than soaking in.

My current plan is to get some cheap tiles and lay them down over the affected area. I might just buy some kitchen backsplash and call it good.

I have never tiled before. Would I be fine throwing some thinset over the drywall, putting up the tiles, and then grouting over it, or is there some other prep I need to do? Everything I'm seeing looking for info is giving advice on actual no bullshit tile jobs, and I'd feel silly putting up a backer board for something like this.

Tile (specifically grout) is not waterproof, FYI. There is supposed to be a moisture barrier behind it, especially if it's going on sheetrock. You can use a liquid application like RedGuard and then, yeah.....thinset/tile/grout. But if this isn't an area that really needs that visually how about some PVC wallboard? It even comes in decorative versions and you can just throw itr on with some construction adhesive and caluk the seams/edges as necessary to be waterproof. Use PVC corner round or bullnose if you want to get real fancy on your edge(s).

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Motronic posted:

Tile (specifically grout) is not waterproof, FYI. There is supposed to be a moisture barrier behind it, especially if it's going on sheetrock. You can use a liquid application like RedGuard and then, yeah.....thinset/tile/grout. But if this isn't an area that really needs that visually how about some PVC wallboard? It even comes in decorative versions and you can just throw itr on with some construction adhesive and caluk the seams/edges as necessary to be waterproof. Use PVC corner round or bullnose if you want to get real fancy on your edge(s).

I'll look into the PVC wallboard.

How does that stuff cut? It's only about a 3 inch gap that I need to do, maybe going up ~2 feet, tops. Likely more along the lines of 18 inches.

The final product doesn't need to be water proof so much as it needs to be mildly water resistant. There's not a ton of water getting there, it's just incidental crap from people not closing the shower curtain far enough. Which, user error etc., but when most of the house is showering before 7 AM that's just something you need to plan around.

It's the size of the project that's a pain in the rear end. I looked into products like redguard, but everything was ~$60 for a gallon bucket of the stuff. What about waterproofing tapes? Looking around right now I'm seeing some that seem to be used to connect the edges of waterproof membranes.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Cyrano4747 posted:

I'll look into the PVC wallboard.

How does that stuff cut? It's only about a 3 inch gap that I need to do, maybe going up ~2 feet, tops. Likely more along the lines of 18 inches.

Oh man, that's annoying. There are also PVC "boards" that sound better suited for that small size.

It cuts like you'd expect: chippy and terrible with too few teeth, melty with too many/too dull. You need a high tooth count circ saw blade to rip it. You can totally get away with a manual hack saw for a 3" cross cut if you can just find yourself a 3" piece.

What about a vinyl sheet? I'm trying to come up with easy, low effort here. All good if you want to put in more effore but this seems like it should be an easy win if you can just find the right material. Tile is great, but definitely high effort and high cost comparatively.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Motronic posted:

What about a vinyl sheet? I'm trying to come up with easy, low effort here.

Do you have something you would recommend? Most of what I'm seeing is arts and crafts stuff.

Frankly I don't mind putting in a little bit of effort, the project is small enough that it's not going to be a huge lift no matter what I do.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

I'm thinking flooring stuff. Like sheet linoleum or vinyl tile(s).

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you
just throw a run of flex tape down on that bad boy
/s

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Cyrano4747 posted:

Do you have something you would recommend? Most of what I'm seeing is arts and crafts stuff.

Frankly I don't mind putting in a little bit of effort, the project is small enough that it's not going to be a huge lift no matter what I do.
I would get whatever flavor PVC trim board is closest to the right size and stick it on there with construction adhesive and some screws if there’s a stud. Caulk around it, paint it whatever color the rest of the wall is. LowesDepot may have smaller PVC project panels that are 2x4 instead of 4x8. It cuts okay with a jigsaw, okay on the table saw/chop saw with the right blade.

You could also just use literally any wooden board or even better a little strip of Masonite or exterior plywood and paint it really well on all 6 sides. Most of the wood on the outside of your house is not treated or rot resistant-it’s just relying on paint to keep the water out, and honestly paint does a pretty good job of it.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Tiny Timbs posted:

The Govee iOS app periodically logs you out and forces you to re-authenticate but doesn't warn you that it's doing this or has done this so it just silently disables notifications

Like what the gently caress

Huh, how periodically are you talking? I've had mine for... idk 6-8 months and other than switching phones and logging in then I don't think I ever had that problem.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Johnny Truant posted:

Huh, how periodically are you talking? I've had mine for... idk 6-8 months and other than switching phones and logging in then I don't think I ever had that problem.

I just checked today and the iOS app had logged me out. Can’t remember the last time I checked, though.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Tiny Timbs posted:

I just checked today and the iOS app had logged me out. Can’t remember the last time I checked, though.

Are you on Android by chance? I had to turn off the automatic "remove all permissions" bullshit from everything cause it would gently caress with all kinds of poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beef Eater
Aug 27, 2020
Is there anything better than a broom and dustpan for getting dust and debris out of corners where it collects?