Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Thaddius the Large posted:

Man it’s been years since people constantly linked Goblins, I feel like I just lost The Game

I'm sad. : (

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Because of the recent conversation I just checked out the latest update of Goblins and jesus christ every single character is some sort of paragon template now.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

...okay I'm morbidly curious, what's the rationale there?

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

SKULL.GIF posted:

How much Kickstarter content does he have left to finish? I wonder if production on the main comic will pick back up once the backlog is cleared.

According to his last major update (from 2018!) he’s got 4 bonus pdf stories still to do plus an unspecified number of crayon drawings.

Back in 2020 he said he’d done a substantial part of the CPPD story that year, but then decided to scrap it all as he didn’t feel comfortable with what he’d written.

No updates since!

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

It's been years since I read Goblins. Considering how slow the comic updated when I stopped, that should be, what, 20 pages to read?

enigma105
Mar 16, 2004

His record...it's over 9-7!!!

Slashrat posted:

This is basically what happened with Howard Tayler when he got done with Schlock Mercenary, afaik. Immediately afterward, he teased a spin-off project, but shortly afterward announced that he realized how much he actually enjoyed not posting a comic strip daily after having done so every day for 20 years, so he decided to go on indefinite vacation instead. Rich might not have been posting pages at the same pace, for understandable reasons, but I could totally see him coming to the same conclusion when it's all done.

Howard is still writing stuff, just not comics. He's still on the Writing Excuses podcast, and apparently working on some Schlock universe books. He's also doing non-Schlock stuff now that it isn't consuming his life.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Good news, everyone! It seems like the end of the comic is looming at last, and it's not eight years from now

thetoughestbean posted:

I don’t know anything about the reporter but Pandaily is reporting that Tencent is in early talks to acquire the Dungeons and Dragons IP from Hasbro

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Nenonen posted:

Good news, everyone! It seems like the end of the comic is looming at last, and it's not eight years from now
Further reporting has said what they're actually looking to buy is IP rights to produce video games. D&D isn't going anywhere, we're just entering back into the era of D&D shovelware.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Sure BG3 was a megahit, but it also cost half a decade of time and on the order of $100m to develop. You can make nearly as much money by licensing it to a Chinese megacorp and it's none of the work! There's no way there could possibly be any downside, such as hurting the brand and harming the marketing of your core product, and even if it did you'll already have collected several years of bonuses by that point so gently caress em.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

habeasdorkus posted:

Sure BG3 was a megahit, but it also cost half a decade of time and on the order of $100m to develop. You can make nearly as much money by licensing it to a Chinese megacorp and it's none of the work! There's no way there could possibly be any downside, such as hurting the brand and harming the marketing of your core product, and even if it did you'll already have collected several years of bonuses by that point so gently caress em.

According to that article, if the deal doesn't happen, Hasbro will go bankrupt as they're having liquidity issues

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

At the same time, they haven't suspended their dividend. Which, lol.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

habeasdorkus posted:

I'm not really sure why you're bringing up BG3. As you said, It's a huge hit that took a long time and a lot of money to develop, but Larian isn't Hasbro and had to license D&D from them, just as TenCent is doing. I'm sure Hasbro had some role in it, but they do with any licensee to ensure they don't do anything that damages the brand - Larian still did the bulk of the work. TenCent would just be another licensee, just making crappy shovelware instead of good games, and Hasbro gets money from them.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I dunno I'm sure we'll get some neat D&D games too. A D&D version of Genshin/HSR could be cool.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Raenir Salazar posted:

I dunno I'm sure we'll get some neat D&D games too. A D&D version of Genshin/HSR could be cool.

Roll on cr 5 loot table, $50

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

enigma105 posted:

Howard is still writing stuff, just not comics. He's still on the Writing Excuses podcast, and apparently working on some Schlock universe books. He's also doing non-Schlock stuff now that it isn't consuming his life.

Plus he's got Long Covid.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

habeasdorkus posted:

Who do you think owns Larian?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Schwarzwald posted:

Who do you think owns Larian?

They're independent. TenCent has an investment in them, but does not own them.

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
I'm trying to imagine the unlikely but amusing situation of the parent company of the D&D company going bankrupt. Like, is all that IP and studios suddenly get firesale'd or auctioned off ala THQ or something?

It'd be funny if no one could legally use D&D poo poo anymore because its trapped in rights limbo.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Hasbro is said company. They also have Transformers, GI Joe, My Little Pony, and Power Rangers

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Hasbro is said company. They also have Transformers, GI Joe, My Little Pony, and Power Rangers

Yeah, that's what I mean. That's a ton of juicy IP suddenly up for grabs if they go bankrupt.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Honestly Tencent is not the worst gaming megacorp to buy DnD. They're unlikely to go belly up or overtextend and rapidly shed studios like Embracer or THQ cause well, China, and their approach to IP management while producing a lot of shovelware is also pretty amenable to licencing it out to good devs too unlike EA or Activision or Ubisoft. Larian could get another shot with a different DnD property quite easily under Tencent given they already have a connection.

The big issue would be if there's any weird censorship poo poo, but the kind of stuff China cares about it's companies doing outside of China is unlikely to really effect Hasbro properties (though I guess we did get the Barbie movie 9 dash line thing lol).

To be clear, consolidation sucks and I wish it didn't happen so much, but if Hasbro is actually falling apart then I guess this one's less obnoxious than when healthy companies just gorge on each other to become ever bigger and more monopolistic.

A Sometimes Food fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Feb 2, 2024

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Tencent makes plenty of decent games, because they make everything. They aren't looking to exploit the brand for pennies, they're looking to own everything and profit. The problem is less their approach to making games and more that they are run by legitimately evil people.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

So is every large corporation

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Cold Open

Order isn't going down easy, but it's gonna be rough.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!
Lol the mimick is mimicking her. Has it been doing that the whole time?

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

ikanreed posted:

Lol the mimick is mimicking her. Has it been doing that the whole time?

I think beforehand she has been largely mimicking the cat.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Capfalcon posted:

Cold Open

Order isn't going down easy, but it's gonna be rough.

Some stone cold mr freeze style one liners.

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice
Hah, I was wondering where Lien and O-Chul were!

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

That's confirmation that Calder was awake the whole time. Probably for a century, plus or minus, given Shojo's approximate lifespan and the fact that he was alive for a few years while Soon was still alive.

e: also, V just ate a 25d6 attack, ouch

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
The fun thing is that the dragon's grievances are pretty legit. Being fully conscious while being imprisoned in his own body and unable to move for like...50?...100? years is basically torture.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

They're legit, but it's also unintentional suffering. That doesn't make it any less bad for Calder but there's somewhat less moral culpability on Serinni's part. Negligence instead of intent. Also, they should definitely kill this dude this time around.

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Feb 2, 2024

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Also he had an entire army of enthralled cultists. Which, if they had any awareness of being mind-controlled, is not too different from his century(?) of being frozen.

Of course rather than any sort of introspection about imprisoning someone in their own mind, Calder just wants to get back to it.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

I have a perhaps odd hangup about mind-control spells in fiction, they strike me as capital E Evil in a way just murder doesn't. I don't can't even truck with the less powerful versions that allow you to improve people's attitudes in games - even as I realize that they're not particularly different than other forms of coercion (e.g. torture, blackmail) and even though I love a good con-artist plot. There's just something different about succeeding in a persuasion/bluff check than casting charm person to me.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
Tencent is currently under pressure to rationalize its investment portfolio, not least of which due to regulatory pressure to return money to shareholders via special dividends or stock buybacks, rather than deploying cheap capital to empire build with no particular payoff or synergy (i.e., that hands-off benevolent negligence that was so attractive. Tencent's M&A activity peaked in 2020)

Beijing would like business capital to continue to be cheap, but not to fund purposeless growth

Corporate synergies are not always so clumsy as to suddenly announce that a no-name domestic studio will take over the whole IP including flagship titles - rather, there is a steady learning-by-doing process where a subsidiary (e.g. TiMi studios) will take over a spinoff like mobile games or DLC to refine its experience and expertise. It will also slowly launch its own publishing network, server infrastructure, development engines, etc. Obtaining a stake in the IP, or even in the IP owner, builds trust that the partner will not try to run away with the IP (because it would be undermining its own stake). Of course, at the same time, the same pressure to make number go up when some investments inevitably fail to meet expectations also applies.

Regardless of whether Tencent buys a license for D&D in the particular, it does make some sense for it to be looking for a known Western IP to hitch a ride on, given its current strategy (to turn outside its saturated and increasingly regulatory-risk-bound domestic market).

ronya fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Feb 2, 2024

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

habeasdorkus posted:

I have a perhaps odd hangup about mind-control spells in fiction, they strike me as capital E Evil in a way just murder doesn't. I don't can't even truck with the less powerful versions that allow you to improve people's attitudes in games - even as I realize that they're not particularly different than other forms of coercion (e.g. torture, blackmail) and even though I love a good con-artist plot. There's just something different about succeeding in a persuasion/bluff check than casting charm person to me.

What do you think of Suggestion?

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

SKULL.GIF posted:

What do you think of Suggestion?

That's the one that makes me think that it's more of a hangup on my part. I don't like the coercive aspect of it even though it doesn't make someone do anything they would never do normally. But it's really not that different than being charismatic and persuasive, or making a good argument for doing something, and in a lot of ways less coercive than ordering someone to do something. And I'm a fuckin' lawyer! My job is to make persuasive arguments that cause judges to do what my clients would like!

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Feb 2, 2024

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I think of Charm Person/Friends/Suggestion as being like the Jedi Mind trick, the fact that they have a hard line against doing anything harmful to themselves implies to me something more along the lines of "using magic to find the shortest path to them being agreeable" that is otherwise would've been possible if you had perfect charisma, the right argument, and the right motivation to get them to be doing so.

Dominate Person is where things get into the realm of being evil, while Geas is more of a "Here's a magically binding contract, which you agreed to or you did something so heinous and wrongful towards me and mine that as the Gods as my Witness and under the Authority of the Archfey of All Four Seasons I doth compel you to carry out this task to its completion, and neither rain, nor snow, nor armies nor disaster, nor natural age nor affliction shall bar you from carrying out mine duty forevermore."

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
The proper ethical use of mind control magic is to cast it on oneself.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

I also don't like the Jedi mind trick, but again, I want to be clear that I realize I'm probably being weird about this. It's not like I believe that all forms of coercion are inherently evil, it's just the form this happens to take.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy
Serini you are an epic rogue, how are you taking so much damage from an attack with a reflex save?

Taciturn Tactician fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Feb 2, 2024