Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

mrmcd posted:

I just realized that since most insurance plans have decided on "lmao lol gently caress no" when it comes to paying for ozempic, there's a whole untapped market for predatory GLP-1 financing.

If you can finance a car at 30% interest why not finance 2 years of ozempic?

Compounding pharmacies seem to be the ones filling in the gaps here. Oh, your insurance doesn't cover Ozempic? Well we'll sell you this GLP-1 compound for just $300 month (cash only, no insurance involved may not actually be a proper GLP-1 agonist).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

mrmcd posted:

Kinda hard to repo the collateral.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Agronox posted:

just make it non-dischargeable like student debt bing bong

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

mrmcd posted:

I just realized that since most insurance plans have decided on "lmao lol gently caress no" when it comes to paying for ozempic, there's a whole untapped market for predatory GLP-1 financing.

For a lot of insurances they're either mandated to or following the government in this regard. 20 odd years ago congress declared public programs like medicare/medicaid absolutely cannot cover weight loss medications because they are "lifestyle medications". I think all medical organizations have come around since then that obesity is obviously also a health condition that it is beneficial to preventatively treat, but congress is too lazy/inept/corrupt to patch that part of the law.

However every insurance I've encountered (working in pharmacy) will cover ozempic or other GLP1s to treat diabetes. So for many patients the current meta has devolved into wait until your obesity causes you develop diabetes as diagnosed by your doctor, then your insurance will cover the drug that just so happens to also treat obesity.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Subvisual Haze posted:

For a lot of insurances they're either mandated to or following the government in this regard. 20 odd years ago congress declared public programs like medicare/medicaid absolutely cannot cover weight loss medications because they are "lifestyle medications". I think all medical organizations have come around since then that obesity is obviously also a health condition that it is beneficial to preventatively treat, but congress is too lazy/inept/corrupt to patch that part of the law.

However every insurance I've encountered (working in pharmacy) will cover ozempic or other GLP1s to treat diabetes. So for many patients the current meta has devolved into wait until your obesity causes you develop diabetes as diagnosed by your doctor, then your insurance will cover the drug that just so happens to also treat obesity.

Medical advice : Eat a doughnut before going in for a fasting glucose test. Enjoy your covered*** ozempic and blood test strips .

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Agronox posted:

Not if you own a carbonite freezing chamber.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

skooma512 posted:

Medical advice : Eat a doughnut before going in for a fasting glucose test.

lol, maybe we can get a SAD thread out of this. degenerate gamblers advising people to fake diabetes tests

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I know at least two people who have been unable to fill an ozempic prescription for their diabetes because of the shortages caused by people getting it come hell or high water to treat obesity. It's kind of poo poo. Like I do think people with obesity should be able to get it, but probably the people whose limbs and eyes and stuff are at immediate risk should have priority?

e. I don't know why this is in the stock thread, sorry. Anyway you can probably project billions of growth for the maker of Ozempic, until the patent expires. That's seven years nowadays for drug patents, right?

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Leperflesh posted:

I know at least two people who have been unable to fill an ozempic prescription for their diabetes because of the shortages caused by people getting it come hell or high water to treat obesity. It's kind of poo poo. Like I do think people with obesity should be able to get it, but probably the people whose limbs and eyes and stuff are at immediate risk should have priority?

That sounds like communism

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

What caused the whipsaw up and down this afternoon? I assume it was the statement

quote:

the Fed issued a statement following their two-day meeting, where officials dropped their previous assertion that a rate hike was possible and instead adopted a more even-handed assessment of the future policy path.

Number go up!

Which was immediately followed by JPow rug pulling:

quote:

Jerome Powell said the Federal Reserve wants to keep its options open instead of rushing to cut interest rates.

Number go down!

Baddog
May 12, 2001
The up was jpow sounding very positive at the beginning of the meeting, the down was him saying "not likely to reach confidence to drop by march".

(he is still talking)

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

skooma512 posted:

Medical advice : Eat a doughnut before going in for a fasting glucose test. Enjoy your covered*** ozempic and blood test strips .
This thought has occurred to me and I wouldn't be shocked if it eventually becomes pretty common practice.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Subvisual Haze posted:

This thought has occurred to me and I wouldn't be shocked if it eventually becomes pretty common practice.

They'll just (continue to) rely on A1C tests instead. Possible to fake surely but harder since it's explicitly a lagging indicator.

It isn't exactly hard to give yourself diabetes on purpose in the US though.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

lol giving myself diabetes intentionally in order to qualify for a weight loss drug. oh yeah, it's big brain time

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

lol giving myself diabetes intentionally in order to qualify for a weight loss drug. oh yeah, it's big brain time

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Ubiquitus posted:

I feel like psychedelic therapies are on the verge of a breakout, but I’m not sure where I can invest to support that.

J&J is the only public company I’ve seen with a ketamine drug that’s been approved, but their overall outlook seems pretty meh? And I don’t want to tie myself into the larger portfolio just for one drug.

I was thinking maybe the therapeutic space associated with administering psychedelic therapy, but those are probably all private . . .

loving PE, I need someone to get me in

So Health Canada is running a bunch of testing right now on legalizing psychedelics all the way down through the pot companies for reasons so loose your shirt playing with that.

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
For now, the market is in a bullish uptrend. I wouldn’t be shorting against that.

Edit: this was in response to an earlier post before my app updated the page…still applies as a general statement.

Power Walrus fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Feb 1, 2024

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Leperflesh posted:

e. I don't know why this is in the stock thread, sorry. Anyway you can probably project billions of growth for the maker of Ozempic, until the patent expires. That's seven years nowadays for drug patents, right?

I think the patent expires in 2026 so not too far off. I guess then there’s gonna be a ton of people making it and prices might come down.

I’m surprised insurance companies are shunning it though, wouldn’t it be more cost effective to pay to stop people being fat than pay to treat people for all the conditions that come with obesity?

cirus
Apr 5, 2011

gay picnic defence posted:

I think the patent expires in 2026 so not too far off. I guess then there’s gonna be a ton of people making it and prices might come down.

I’m surprised insurance companies are shunning it though, wouldn’t it be more cost effective to pay to stop people being fat than pay to treat people for all the conditions that come with obesity?

Hahahahaha thanks for the hilarious joke this morning! When Lovenox was still brand I had insurance refuse to pay $800 for a week supply to bridge to Coumadin......but they would pay for the guy to stay in the hospital on a heparin infusion for that same week

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
Any other degen AMZN earnings players? I will post my trade but ONLY if it's green tomorrow. Otherwise I will wallow in my misery!

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

For people with diabetes there's an ROI but for some 250 lb rando the science is still out whether paying $10k per year for a drug offsets more than that in cost. This is a separate, stricter question than whether it is cost effective from a treatment perspective.

Novo Nordisk stock is triple what it was when Wegovy (Ozempic for weight loss) got FDA approved in 2021, and is now the third most valuable non-US company. Don't think the market is projecting a major drop in revenue.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

It’s probably lifetime costs of care effective but that patient may not be insured by the same company a year later. Another argument for single payer.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Holy poo poo Ferrari

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Hmm. If this is about F1 news, you might be in the wrong tab

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Leperflesh posted:

Hmm. If this is about F1 news, you might be in the wrong tab

He's not. RACE is up 12% today.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Garfu posted:

Any other degen AMZN earnings players? I will post my trade but ONLY if it's green tomorrow. Otherwise I will wallow in my misery!

I'm not playing earnings as such, but I do stubbornly hold on to wayyy too much Amazon. I think they will continue to turn it around here, fingers crossed.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Ah.

Lewis Hamilton dumped Mercedes and joined the Ferrari team as of like 4 hours ago so I thought maybe that was a crossthread post about Ferrari's F1 prospects.
https://www.cnbc.com/2024/02/01/formula-1-star-lewis-hamilton-to-join-ferrari-media-reports-say.html

Zephyris
May 23, 2006

If you only knew the power of...
Welp, the Widowmaker tried to get me a little today - so I rolled a day early to try and preserve some extrinsic value on the short options to make it easier. Here were my moves:

Current positioning:

Baddog
May 12, 2001
thoughts and prayers

(I'm currently rolling some naked shorts too tho, lol. but puts)

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

heh

edit: question for pmchem or other people that know stuff. So tomorrow, when do I sell my options that expire tomorrow? AMZN is gonna be up a lot. I'm gonna be sitting here at open, do I wait like 5 minutes? A half hour? Waiting too long and they tank right? Despite all the plays I've made this is the first where the earnings were after hours and the options expire the next day.

Garfu fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Feb 1, 2024

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

I rarely own options expiring that day so someone else may have a better take.

in general, if it’s good enough to post brags about, it’s good enough to close and take profits. if you have multiple of the position, you could close like half (or whatever is needed to break even) near open and let the other half run a bit longer.

pros will have some system or rules based on greeks or the rest of their book

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

pmchem posted:

pros will have some system or rules based on greeks

Keep it all in cash, no trading during siesta?

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

oh man, META. I had a decent thesis but the entirely wrong ticker for this Q (GOOGL/MSFT suffered the build-out penalty). I never read into it for a real trade, and glad I had no position.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Garfu posted:

heh

edit: question for pmchem or other people that know stuff. So tomorrow, when do I sell my options that expire tomorrow? AMZN is gonna be up a lot. I'm gonna be sitting here at open, do I wait like 5 minutes? A half hour? Waiting too long and they tank right? Despite all the plays I've made this is the first where the earnings were after hours and the options expire the next day.

If you have fomo roll your ITM option to OTM collecting more than you paid to enter. You now have a lotto ticket on it going up more. When FOMO subsides close and collect the rest, let it burn, or keep the roll going if it keeps going.

If you are rolling like 5-10 minutes after open is probably going to be when I'd look.

e: if you keep rolling do keep in mind your PDT trade counter if applicable.

pixaal fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Feb 2, 2024

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

pmchem posted:

I rarely own options expiring that day so someone else may have a better take.

in general, if it’s good enough to post brags about, it’s good enough to close and take profits. if you have multiple of the position, you could close like half (or whatever is needed to break even) near open and let the other half run a bit longer.

pros will have some system or rules based on greeks or the rest of their book

Yes I know of the "if it's good enough to take a pic of it's ready to sell", which I've done a lot in the past. This isn't a brag post, I genuinely don't know what happens on open tomorrow for 0DTE options that I bought this morning. I know the price will spike but then does it get crushed cause EVERYONE has to sell? That's what I'm asking. I'm gonna sit here watching it regardless, and it's up 60% before earning even happened, so no matter what happens I'm good, was just looking for some advice if anyone had any. I mostly buy LEAPs.

Garfu fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Feb 1, 2024

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

this is the stock tradin' thread, "brag post" was not meant as a negative

pixaal's post is solid too

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Garfu posted:

Yes I know of the "if it's good enough to take a pic of it's ready to sell", which I've done a lot in the past. This isn't a brag post, I genuinely don't know what happens on open tomorrow for 0DTE options that I bought this morning. I know the price will spike but then does it get crushed cause EVERYONE has to sell? That's what I'm asking. I'm gonna sit here watching it regardless, and it's up 60% before earning even happened, so no matter what happens I'm good, was just looking for some advice if anyone had any. I mostly buy LEAPs.

As we approach close it will become closer and closer to the intrinsic value. As there's no time left and they are just 100 shares you paid the stirke price of. So they are worth 100 times the difference in stock price and strike at 4:00 tomorrow.

IV crush mostly happens overnight right here.

Baddog
May 12, 2001
There is plenty market in Amazon options, I wouldn't worry about hammering the sell button right at open if you think there might be more room to run. If lack of market/getting stuck with them is your concern.

The extra premium will definitely disappear quickly though, not that many trading hours left. You were playing earnings, that event is over, might as well get out asap with as much leftover intrinsic as possible.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

ty I will stare at my screen at 9:30 and see what happens

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

I usually don't trade options or stocks either really in the first 15-30 minutes of the market opening just because there's usually a lot of overnight orders sorting themselves out.